• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I don't like the idea of military stuff being in the Olympics.

Not sure how I feel about the Rising Sun flag. I'm sort of in the camp that thinks symbols can change and be rehabilitated over a long enough time span. The Rising Sun is a Pre-WW2 flag, and modern Japan has continued to use it over the course of its 70 year peaceful existence. You can look at it as a symbol of Japan that represents the good and the bad over its history.

Confederate flag is a little different since it represents a country that actively fought against the current country and no longer exists. I wish the south wasn't so racist because the design of the flag is great, and I see no problem with the innocent Duke's of Hazard "this flag represents my home region" usage. For the record I think the ban on government usage of the Stars and Bars is completely justified.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Japanese military still uses the Rising Sun flag, picture from Wikipedia, states it's taken in 2011

%EF%BC%91%EF%BC%90%EF%BC%A4%EF%BC%9A%E8%BB%8A%E4%B8%A1%E9%83%A8%E9%9A%8A%E3%81%AB%E3%82%88%E3%82%8B%E8%A6%B3%E9%96%B2%E8%A1%8C%E9%80%B2_R_%E3%82%A4%E3%83%99%E3%83%B3%E3%83%88%E3%83%BB%E8%A1%8C%E4%BA%8B%E3%83%BB%E5%BA%83%E5%A0%B1%E6%B4%BB%E5%8B%95%E7%AD%89_37.jpg

Head of the 10th Division and other regiments on JSDF Day in 2011

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
According to Wikipedia, the official flag for the SDF is the Rising Sun flag:

What's a military flag doing in the Olympics?

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Do other countries typically use their war flags in an official capacity at the Olympics?

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Might as well ban the Union Jack then too and all other flags that have colonialist histories

The Rising Sun flag predates Japanese imperialism by centuries and hasn't been coopted by any hate groups as far as I know, so I don't see why it should be banned just because it was used during one brief point in the country's history
Are you fucking daft? It's connotations in East Asia are not much different from the Nazi flag in Europe. The Japanese military's war crimes under that flag during WWII was based on Japanese racial superiority over the people they conquered.

Fuck you and your stupid ass justifications and whataboutisms.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017

Not sure how I feel about the Rising Sun flag. I'm sort of in the camp that thinks symbols can change and be rehabilitated over a long enough time span. The Rising Sun is a Pre-WW2 flag, and modern Japan has continued to use it over the course of its 70 year peaceful existence. You can look at it as a symbol of Japan that represents the good and the bad over its history.

Confederate flag is a little different since it represents a country that actively fought against the current country and no longer exists. I wish the south wasn't so racist because the design of the flag is great, and I see no problem with the innocent Duke's of Hazard "this flag represents my home region" usage. For the record I think the ban on government usage of the Stars and Bars is completely justified.

To build on what you're saying, I put the Confederate flag in the same bucket with the Nazi flag because they were both used in an official capacity for an incredibly short duration and only associated with a racist and murderous government.

The Rising Sun flag has quite a bit more history with it but it's also associated with imperial expansion, a murderous government, and Imperial deification.

So to me it's just a notch below the Confederate or Nazi flag which isn't exactly helping its case at all.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
It's kind of insulting that people are deflecting any criticism of Imperialist Japan to the United States. Guess what, we talk about a lot of the abhorrent crap the United States does all the time, having a single thread talking about the association with that flag and the terrible things Imperialist Japan did, it's okay. Take a second and realize that there are people here who's families were personally affected by what Japan did in WWII.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
How many European countries involved in colonialism changed their flags? As an American its hard for me to condemn any other country for their flag when I'm confronted with confederate flags every fucking day here.
Someone flying a Confederate flag at, say, an NFL game would be told to put it away or leave. So I'm not sure what your point is.

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Come on, this is a shit whataboutism.

It absolutely isn't. (Well I guess it is, but it's not wrong)

The union jack represents millions of people in my country dead, our culture and language (almost) destroyed. And that's just us not the impact on the wider world.

I personally dont think any of em should be banned. The rising sun has a history far longer than just world war II or the Japanese imperial age, just as I wouldn't ban the union jack even though I despise it personally.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It absolutely isn't.

The union jack represents millions of people in my country dead, our culture and language (almost) destroyed. And that's just us not the impact on the wider world.

I personally dont think any of em should be banned. The rising sun has a history far longer than just world war II or the Japanese imperial age, just as I wouldn't ban the union jack even though I despise it personally.
So you're complaining that Korea is complaining.

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you're complaining that Korea is complaining.

Korea and Japan are currently undergoing strained diplomatic relations this is just ammunition.

And I didn't complain about anything, I gave my point of view on the union jack, and the general situation.
0 percent of what I wrote was a complaint I literally don't understand how you can interpret that way.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, it should. And more people need to know about the atrocities that imperial japan committed during WWII.

Waving it around is analogous to telling everyone that you condone bigotry, rape and murder.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Korea and Japan are currently undergoing strained diplomatic relations this is just ammunition.

And I didn't complain about anything, I gave my point of view on the union jack, and the general situation.
0 percent of what I wrote was a complaint I literally don't understand how you can interpret that way.
Ammunition, yes. But not unfounded. You're Union Jack reference comes off as Keep Calm, Walk On.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
However, the Tokyo Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games, headed by former Prime Minister Yoshiro Mori, announced it will not ban the flag, saying flags of similar designs have been widely used in Japan, and it won't be recognized as a political propaganda tool.

This is like the ok hand defense. "It was used in the circle game long ago, so it can't be a white supremacist symbol!"

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How would that be. Korea is leveraging historical representation, and I'm pointing out the fact it should not relieve the Union Jack.

Yeah as ammunition against Japan in a trade dispute.

Korea moved on on this stuff years ago, there's been consious efforts at play here to bring it back up. On both sides, the Japanese do stuff to irritate the Koreans too.

I'm from a country that is the analogue of Korea and we spent most of the 20th doing this kind of thing. Trade disputes, hating their symbols flags, royalty etc, but eventually we moved on.

I still don't like it, and in case you don't realize they still control part of our island (a claim we also gave up) but I don't begrudge them their symbols in their Homeland.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah as ammunition against Japan in a trade dispute.

Korea moved on on this stuff years ago, there's been consious efforts at play here to bring it back up. On both sides, the Japanese do stuff to irritate the Koreans too.

I'm from a country that is the analogue of Korea and we spent most of the 30th
Not quite done between Japan and Korea, there's a few last cohorts.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Sure. This is from 2015 but the same displays continue in sporting events today.

FLAKE: Well, we were able to identify 72 contracts between the Department of Defense and the sports teams worth about $6.8 million, which included some form of paid patriotism in those contracts.

SIEGEL: Which do you find more troubling here, that the military paid sports teams for these patriotic moments, or that the sports teams require to be paid in order to honor people in uniform?

FLAKE: Well, the former. The military simply shouldn't be doing this. I've talked to a couple of the owners and the management at some of these teams, and frankly, I'd be surprised if any of them had any idea that this was going on.

For what it's worth, the NFL paid back the money it received after this report got out.

OP
OP
Excuse me

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017

Then the easy question. Would you be ok with people wawing Nazi flag at sport games? Rising sun flag is Nazi flag for many asian countries.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I've always thought the use of that flag was a bit suss.

Somewhat related, its fucked how many people outside of Japan that are in the JDM car community plaster their cars in this flag. Open up a book for chrissakes.
Most people don't even know about Japan's wrongdoings in the South east.

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then the easy question. Would you be ok with people wawing Nazi flag at sport games? Rising sun flag is Nazi flag for many asian countries.

I can't win an argument against that, but it's not a correct analogy.

What do you think the union jack is to the nationalists in Northern Ireland? It's the flag of the oppressor.

The Nazi Flag doesn't have a history beyond world war II, the rising sun flag, the union jack or the iron cross as was mentioned earlier do.

Deleted member 24097

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What's a military flag doing in the Olympics?

Although quite similar, the flag that's usually targeted at is not the JSDF flag pictured in your post but rather the JMSDF flag (navy) which is basically the WWII Imperial flag but with the sun shifted slightly to the left.

Now of course, there is a debate to be had about countries which did or did not change their flags after they were found guilty of war crimes - I would say they should all have and a lot haven't - but in this case, Japan did. And yet, there is a specific obsession from the Japanese far-right to carry high and proud that specific navy flag which is nothing but a successful attempt by the most influent and fierce members of the military back right after WWII to keep the old Imperial flag up. It's just natural that some people would be uncomfortable with that. It's not the country's official flag, it's the closest legally accepted representation of Japan's worst hours in the XXth century. A racist, supremacist backdoor.

You can put it however way you want, it does send a hostile message.

How comfortable would Europeans be if the German Navy decided to fly a Nazi flag with the cross turned clockwise 30 degrees?
How would people react if that very flag, again, was hand-picked by sports fans among a variety of existing other flags to represent the country in an event where nationalism tends to be exacerbated?

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Can someone explain this to me (without me reading the entire thread): isn't the official Japanese flag just a red dot on white? Why would they even use this variant with rays?

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn! It seems in the US that Japan has one of the GOAT rehabilitation campaigns ever huh? 20M Chinese people killed?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To build on what you're saying, I put the Confederate flag in the same bucket with the Nazi flag because they were both used in an official capacity for an incredibly short duration and only associated with a racist and murderous government.

The Rising Sun flag has quite a bit more history with it but it's also associated with imperial expansion, a murderous government, and Imperial deification.

So to me it's just a notch below the Confederate or Nazi flag which isn't exactly helping its case at all.
The swastika has a long history as well.
The rising sun flag was adopted as Japan war flag by their fascist government, this is what made it famous and this why any of us knows about it. In post WW2 years it it is a right wing reactionary symbol more than anything, and their racist right wingers and holocaust deniers love to fly it. Japanese right wingers make the same "heritage not hate" argument that you see everywhere, but I think they're equally bullshit.

The only real different that I see between it and the nazi flag is that in the 50s their right wing shitty government adopted something kinda like it as their navy flag and the west were like "ehhh, at least they're not communists".

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

I mean tell that to the Roman Salute(which was the salute used world wide for centuries prior to WW2 that was coopted by the Nazi's), or the complete banning of the original Manji symbol in the west(pre WW2 it was even used on Boy Scout memorabilia coins).
plenty of stuff that's been coopted hasn't been reclaimed

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn! It seems in the US that Japan has one of the GOAT rehabilitation campaigns ever huh? 20M Chinese people killed?

The U.S COVERED UP Unit 731!!!! The U.S covered up Unit 731 so good that other Western countries either ignored or dismissed the victim accounts as being "communist propaganda."

The researchers involved in Unit 731 were secretly given immunity by the U.S. in exchange for the data they gathered through human experimentation.[6] Other researchers that the Soviet forces managed to arrest first were tried at the Khabarovsk War Crime Trials in 1949. The Americans did not try the researchers so that the information and experience gained in bio-weapons could be co-opted into the U.S. biological warfare program, much as they had done with German researchers in Operation Paperclip.[7] On 6 May 1947, Douglas MacArthur, as Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces, wrote to Washington that "additional data, possibly some statements from Ishii, can probably be obtained by informing Japanese involved that information will be retained in intelligence channels and will not be employed as 'War Crimes' evidence".[6] Victim accounts were then largely ignored or dismissed in the West as communist propaganda.[8]

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The cold war was a hell of a drug, the US was really worried about a communist Japan and their racist right wingers were also the strongest anti-communist warriors, they were also holocaust deniers but what you gonna do?
Can someone explain this to me (without me reading the entire thread): isn't the official Japanese flag just a red dot on white? Why would they even use this variant with rays?
Same reason people fly confederate flags.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ah, so they are not using it officially? Then they certainly should ban it.
People use the confederate flag officially.

Ts72MbD.jpg

It's true it's not the official state flag of Japan (mostly because the US didn't let them use it), but their racist right wingers are trying to shove it everywhere they can, just like they do in the US.
Their navy flag kinda looks like it, and yeah, they only adopted it after the US ended the occupation of Japan.

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
How many European countries involved in colonialism changed their flags? As an American its hard for me to condemn any other country for their flag when I'm confronted with confederate flags every fucking day here.
3? (Germany, Italy and Portugal) Not that they necessarily changed their flags for that reason. There could be more countries as well since a lot of nations have changed flags.

Oct 26, 2017
Are you fucking daft? It's connotations in East Asia are not much different from the Nazi flag in Europe. The Japanese military's war crimes under that flag during WWII was based on Japanese racial superiority over the people they conquered.

Fuck you and your stupid ass justifications and whataboutisms.
It's not whataboutism, it's comparison. Unlike the Nazi flag or even the Confederate flag, the Union Jack and Rising Sun flags were not created with the ideology that back their colonialist attrocities in mind. There is more history behind the Rising Sun than World War II, and it shouldn't be defined by that one moment in Japan's history when it's cultural relevance in art and other mediums go far beyond it. Should we find 19th century art featuring the Rising Sun offensive because of unrelated actions in the 20th century? I'm not trying to trivialize the horrific actions done by the Japanese under that flag, I'm just saying that there are no direct connections between those actions and that flag other than it flying at that time, which is the case for many other flags as well

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not whataboutism, it's comparison. Unlike the Nazi flag or even the Confederate flag, the Union Jack and Rising Sun flags were not created with the ideology that back their colonialist attrocities in mind. There is more history behind the Rising Sun than World War II, and it shouldn't be defined by that one moment in Japan's history when it's cultural relevance in art and other mediums go far beyond it. Should we find 19th century art featuring the Rising Sun offensive because of unrelated actions in the 20th century? I'm not trying to trivialize the horrific actions done by the Japanese under that flag, I'm just saying that there are no direct connections between those actions and that flag other than it flying at that time, which is the case for many other flags as well
What's a single day or a millenium of torment. It's a fresh one too.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It is a war flag created by imperial Japan and since the day it was adopted it flew over Japanese armies invading other countries and committing horrific crimes there.
Japanese fascists like to say that no, it has a rich history and it's heritage not hate, but I think this is just bullshit.
There is a reason why right wing racists in Japan keep waving it, and it's not because some warlord in the Asuka period had similar iconography.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
You are on the wrong side of history if you're defending a flag Japanese fascists deliberately use as a symbol of their fascism.

Guddha

Sep 5, 2019
It really should be a setting sun to better represent their declining population and overall trajectory as a nation.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I can't imagine how incensed my grandfather would be, a WWII POW/slave of Imperial Japan, if he saw they were still using that flag. I remember how mad he got when his daughter was driving a Mitsubishi. I had a close friend in college who was from Hong Kong and he harbored a lot of hatred towards the Japanese, I tried to tell him because of what my grandfather went through I had something similar and that you shouldn't hold that against Japanese people that were not involved in that, but the Chinese really suffered, and other Asian countries, as well, of course, he talked about how his great uncle had to hide among the dead bodies, his grandmother was raped and what really bothered him was they had what he called IOUs that wouldn't be cashed while Americans bought up all their game consoles.

Speaking of Unit 731, the people that worked there were all pardoned, many went on to be respected people at universities and such while being completely unrepentant of their crimes. This flag needs to be banned.
This. Unit 731 is one of the most fucked up things I have ever read. Reading it when I was 15 made me afraid to sleep at night honestly