• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
South Korea formally requests Japan's 'rising sun' flag be banned at 2020 Olympics

Japan's Rising Sun flag: A bone of contention for South Korea

I wonder how IOC is going to rule on the issue. And if IOC bans it I wonder what kind of shit storm it's going to stir with Japanese right wingers. I hope the flag gets ban.

edit.

"Rising Sun Flag" refers to this:
6EYOrJj.png

"Rising Sun Flag" does not refer to this:
oe0B7do.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly how hard would it be for Japan to come up with a entire new national flag to replace the "Rising Sun" flag?

pennanton

Oct 31, 2017
I've always thought the use of that flag was a bit suss.

Somewhat related, its fucked how many people outside of Japan that are in the JDM car community plaster their cars in this flag. Open up a book for chrissakes.

OP
OP
Excuse me

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
I think it's a silly augment. Many countries are guilty of their past actions.
Nah, Imperial Japan was comparable to Nazi Germany, so if we are fine with banning Nazi flag then we should ban Rising Sun flag as well. Maybe we should ban some other flags/symbols as well from Olympics, but from start I'm fine without Nazi/Rising sun flags.

Brining up Japan's past is a great way to score political points in South Korea.
That's true. But they also have a point. Also, SK is not only country that has problems with Rising Sun flag.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
It doesn't seem very hard to do at all. So easy in fact it would almost seem antagonistic to ignore such a simple request.
Wait,I thought the flag of Japan was just a red dot on white?
What is this "rising sun" flag?
it is the old flag, the flag of Imperial Japan. The Japan that invaded countries, occupied them, raped and burned entire cities, etc...

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
It would be strange to have the current flag and the rising sun both used, given that the rising sun has such negative connotations. They really should just use the current flag.

Mr. Mug

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Even ignoring the atrocities committed under the flag it is in bad taste to use what is essentially a military flag at this point. South Korea is right the flag should be banned.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, Imperial Japan was comparable to Nazi Germany, so if we are fine with banning Nazi flag then we should ban Rising Sun flag as well. Maybe we should ban some other flags/symbols as well from Olympics, but from start I'm fine without Nazi/Rising sun flags.

For people who aren't familiar, Unit 731, described as being the "Asian Holocaust":

The Ohio State University
The Asian Holocaust - OSU: https://u.osu.edu/ncta/files/2017/02/Painter-EastAsia2-1-1symr4v.pdf

en.m.wikipedia.org

Unit 731 - Wikipedia

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand. When is this flag used? Is it being used in sports events?

Edit: oh, okay. It's to stop fans from bringing it into the stadium. Do people who wave something like that explicitly belong to some nationalist group or are they just ignorant?

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Thank you, I was actually just looking at that myself.
So it's basically a military flag at this point. I can see why it shouldn't be used.
As I understand it, when confronting japanese right-wingers about it, they go "ACKSHUALLY, It was used in ancient feudal Japan as well!"

Well, yes, but it's very much accociated with Japan's military aggression in the first half of the 1900's, and in particular Korea and China who were at the recieving end of truly fucked up shit, do remember that.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
I don't understand. When is this flag used? Is it being used in sports events?

Edit: oh, okay. It's to stop fans from bringing it into the stadium. Do people who wave something like that explicitly belong to some nationalist group or are they just ignorant?
Depends on the person but usually the latter. But if you call them on it they'll get mad

Dec 31, 2017
Jesus.

I was largely unaware of the scale of this carnage. Just absolutely shameful. Humans can do such vile things when pressured.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Unfortunately the WW2 history of Imperial Japan when it comes to Unit 731 isn't widely known. The U.S. cover-up of Unit 731 is also not widely known.

There's also the "comfort women", forced prostitution of Asian women to the Japanese military, and the Nanking Massacre, where the Japanese army committed mass murder and rape in Nanking, China.

Reading about the Nanking Massacre made me sick to my stomach.

Matto

Oct 27, 2017
I was at an AKB48 concert in Yokohama in April and there was some asshole waving the rising sun flag high up in the stands. He was at it for about 2 hours before either someone complained or the staff noticed and eventually confronted him and told him to put it away.

Oct 26, 2017
I was at an AKB48 concert in Yokohama in April and there was some asshole waving the rising sun flag high up in the stands. He was at it for about 2 hours before either someone complained or the staff noticed and eventually confronted him and told him to put it away.
I'm glad someone told him to cut it out at least.

OP
OP
Excuse me

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Well, I'm not so surprised you would fine someone with Rising Sun flag at AKB48 concert ;)
edit. not to imply they are some kind of right wing group. They could have put some tought into the props before show.
But, it's really not shunned in Japan at all. You see some iteration of it quite often in various uses.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's also the "comfort women", forced prostitution of Asian women to the Japanese military, and the Nanking Massacre, where the Japanese army committed mass murder and rape in Nanking, China.

Reading about the Nanking Massacre made me sick to my stomach.

Yes, I am fully aware of that part of WW2 Imperial Japan history, things the Japanese government has admitted to.

Unit 731 is something that the Japanese government is refusing to admit to and it is a sticking point with relations between Japan and Korea and Japan and China.

Unit 731 was successfully covered up by the U.S. government, after the surrender of Imperial Japan to the U.S., General Douglass MacArthur was sent over to negotiate with the former government and he discovered that Imperial Japan conducted human experimentation, he contacted the White House about that and was given orders to obtain all documents on human experimentation that Imperial Japan had so a secret deal was brokered where the U.S. government granted Imperial Japan full immunity from war crimes prosecution in exchange for all documents on human experimentation.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Wait, japan is still using their swastika like flag?
No, the official changed to the white flag with the red sun in the middle since long ago. This is to stop dumbasses from bringing the imperial nazi japan flag to the games. Which is the right decision, just like stopping people in germany to bring swastika flags anywhere.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's a bit of a unrealistic request. Many countries are guilty of their past actions.
Yet most countries either don't want to apologize for said actions or sometimes not even accept they actually happened.

"Unrealistic" my ass. Teach about your atrocities in school and reflect on this shit as a country, instead of sweeping it under the rug and just go "leave these poor nationalistic people alone, others have done bad things, too!".

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): Inflammatory whataboutism. Thread derail.
Should we also ban the American and Union Jack flag too?

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
They should ditch it. To me as a non-asian person the flag just strikes me as the iconic design that I associate with Japan. But to other asian nations it invokes the emotions of world war 2 and the suffering they went through.

What many people don't realize is that Japan actually colonized Korea way before the the start of world war 2 for many years(35). And because Japan has been so bad about dealing with its horrible history it's quite questionable to still fly this flag.

It's similar to the german iron cross. I guess to many it reminds them of ww2 and nazis but to me it looks like the emblem of the Bundeswehr. Only outside of its military context does it also remind me of the second world war. A flag of it flown at an event would be unacceptable.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should ditch it. To me as a non-asian person the flag just strikes me as the iconic design that I associate with Japan. But to other asian nations it invokes the emotions of world war 2 and the suffering they went through.

What many people don't realize is that Japan actually colonized Korea way before the the start of world war 2 for many years. And because Japan has been so bad about dealing with its horrible history it's quite questionable to still fly this flag.

It's similar to the german iron cross. I guess to many it reminds them of ww2 and nazis but to me it looks like the emblem of the Bundeswehr. Only outside of its military context does it also remind me of the second world war. A flag of it flown at an event would be unacceptable.

Absolutely correct with your interpretation of the "Rising Sun" Japanese flag to other Asian nation's in which Imperial Japan occupied.