• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
How are you going to enforce it? Trying to avoid pissing off the big superpowers is why this thing is a mess in the first place.

That's honestly my problem with people going "THE WHO ARE POLITICALLY COMPROMISED!" Like, yeah, no shit, but do you even understand why?

You enforce it by refusing to give the countries that won't protect its funding a seat at the table. That will result in a lot of countries not being represented, but over time I believe many would relent and agree to pass laws that protect WHO funding from political reprisals.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
You enforce it by refusing to give the countries that won't protect its funding a seat at the table. That will result in a lot of countries not being represented, but over time I believe many would relent and agree to pass laws that protect WHO funding from political reprisals.

Then the big superpower decide that they can just use their funding for their own agencies, not have to be as transparent, and this fucks over the smaller countries who need the big countries to make up for their inability to fund it. And it's the smaller countries who rely on it the most.

It's not that far fetched either when it's literally happening.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Then the big superpower decide that they can just use their funding for their own agencies, not have to be as transparent, and this fucks over the smaller countries who need the big countries to make up for their inability to fund it. And it's the smaller countries who rely on it the most.

It's not that far fetched either when it's literally happening.

It is already happening, but it's better to have a reduced WHO that is free to do its job to the best of its ability without interference than one that is prevented from doing so to protect the political interests of countries like the US and China.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
It is already happening, but it's better to have a reduced WHO that is free to do its job to the best of its ability without interference than one that is prevented from doing so to protect the political interests of countries like the US and China.

The WHO being able to run at the level that it is now is why it's important.

Also not to mention having access to the medical experts at the center of epidemics like what's happening at China right now, as compromised as it might be.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Is this true?

There was a WHO briefing the other day and they ran through several points indicating where they've collaborated with Taiwan. Will try and find it - annoyingly the news cut away from it before they'd fully gone through each of the points.

That's my understanding, but I'd love to see if there's anything that goes into more detail or says otherwise.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that the WHO should be looked at and possibly reorganized, but doing it after this is all eventually over is the much smarter move. Defunding them during an actual pandemic is just pure stupidity.

Burbank

Sep 9, 2018
Pangea

This would just kill WHO because all major funders would leave. They all have geopolitical motives.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Countries that follow the One China Policy like Japan have no right to discredit the WHO's stance in regards to Taiwan.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Why doesn't the world just recognise Taiwan officially, China need to export etc. fuck them, what are they going to do?

I understand people thinking the WHO and others need to play nice so they have access or whatever in China but for China to be successful, they couldn't keep their nose out of joint and would have to accept the world calling their bluff?

If 50% to 60% of Hawaii decided they wanted to be their own country, and the US said no, do you think that the rest of the world will just recognize Hawaii as their own country?

Taiwan is currently in a weird political state, but currently there's no indication China plans to use military force (a la HK) to get Taiwan to "really" be a part of China as China, and most of the rest of the world, is pretending like Taiwan is not its own country. Taiwan honestly operates de facto like its own country.

China may be slowly be trying to soft power its way into Taiwan by sending mainlanders to Taiwan and investing, etc, but that strategy is almost inevitable. It's a really small island. Ethnically, the two countries are mainly composed of Han Chinese.

Honestly, the best thing that could happen now is for China to ignore Taiwan and keep pretending like its just a territory of China that gets to do its own thing. Better than getting HK-ed, honestly.

What happened with the WHO was an incident that highlighted that yes, China doesn't consider Taiwan to be its own country, and wants the world to know it. But that's just words. It doesn't affect how Taiwan handled COVID-19. I do think the preferable option would be for Taiwan to have been able to participate separately from China. Diplomatically though, I don't have what the best method of getting this to happen would be.

(*edit: To clarify, only half or a little over half of Taiwan wants actual independence from China. The remaining don't necessarily want to be reunited with China, but they don't want full, actual independence either. Still, there's something eyeroll-inducing about watching a bunch of people with no investment/skin in the game use Taiwan as a political bat in order to push their own "FUCK CHINA" narrative without considering what actual Taiwanese people want or what ramifications there may be for Taiwanese people.)

(*double edit: I'm not even truly Taiwanese. My parents were both Taiwanese, born and raised, but I wasn't born there. So, I don't even feel like I'm "really" Taiwanese and I often feel like my opinion is pretty worthless compared to someone who is actually Taiwanese. That being said, I do feel tapped into part of the consciousness because I WAS raised in a Taiwanese bubble [majority of the people I grew up with were Taiwanese or kids of Taiwanese], I learned a lot about the history of Taiwan, and I still have family in Taiwan. So yeah, watching all y'all who really know nothing so confidently run your mouth on this stuff... lol.)

Last edited:

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
If 50% to 60% of Hawaii decided they wanted to be their own country, and the US said no, do you think that the rest of the world will just recognize Hawaii as their own country?

Can't tell if you're that ignorant of Taiwan's history to think this is a good argument or if this is trolling.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Taiwan should be in WHO, no doubt on that.

Otherwise, Abe has been kissing Trump ass kisser so no surprise he wants to politicize the issue.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Why doesn't the world just recognise Taiwan officially, China need to export etc. fuck them, what are they going to do?

I understand people thinking the WHO and others need to play nice so they have access or whatever in China but for China to be successful, they couldn't keep their nose out of joint and would have to accept the world calling their bluff?

Of course they can, but it is usually more beneficial to be on the friendly term with a large country over a smaller one. Which is why Taiwan has to bribe anyone who recognize them.

That needs to be addressed as well, their funding should not be beholden to political whims.

What can you do about it? It may work to China, but what can you do to the USA? Are you going to declare war when they can launch a nuclear missile to you in a moment of notice? Or just send a drone to assassinate you?

How about economic sanction? In a world that everything is transaction in USD and they can simply order banks from dealing with you, then it will be a death sentence to your economy.

International organization would only work as much as the superpower allows it to. in this single super power world you will have to suck it up.

Last edited: