• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Article

Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe told media in a Friday press conference that the WHO has issues and Japan will review its financial contributions after the pandemic is over.

"We must support WHO firmly now. However, it is true that there are problems and issues. I think it Is necessary to look into it once the coronavirus outbreak has ceased," Abe said.

Abe says the WHO takes a political stance and that Japan has been requesting for Taiwan to becomes a member for several years. China considers Taiwan a renegade province and objects to its inclusion as an equal by international organizations.

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Let's not act like WHO is not blameable in this at all. From being slow to respond, to not holding China accountable.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
100% right, Taiwan needs to be included in the WHO, and its omission in light of COVID is dumb, especially considering how well they have fared.

Obviously, the way Trump did it was dumb, if he had any sense, he could have just done the same thing as Abe and it would have been fine (but then he wouldnt be trump then)

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This seems the healthiest approach. This is really not the time to cut the funds to the main organization fighting against the virus, but there's definitely that China issue to clear up eventually.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Let's not act like WHO is not blameable in this at all. From being slow to respond, to not holding China accountable.
Yes, I was about to say this. There's a middle ground between being a fucking asshole like Trump and acting like their actions towards the COVID pandemic have been impecable. Hell, they've been contradicting themselves about the efficiency of face masks for like a month now, when it's pretty damn clear that they do help stop the spread.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're going to shut the WHO down, aren't they? Everyone is going to want to blame someone else for this pandemic and it'll be the WHO that takes the fall.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe told media in a Friday press conference that the WHO has issues and Japan will review its financial contributions after the pandemic is over.

This part seems to be the opposite of what was actually said:

BREAKING NEWS: WHO reform needed, no plan at all to cut funding: Abe

BREAKING NEWS: WHO reform needed, no plan at all to cut funding: Abe ==Kyodo

WHO reform needed, no plan at all to cut funding: Abe

Japanese article:
headlines.yahoo.co.jp

首相記者会見全文(11完)「WHO分担金、出さないこと考えていない」(産経新聞) - Yahoo!ニュース

--トランプ米大統領は世界保健機関(WHO)が中国寄りとして資金拠出の停止を表明しているが、16日の主要国(G7)首脳のテレビ会議で首相はWHOについてどのように発言したのか。WHOへの資金拠出を見 - Yahoo!ニュース(産経新聞)

WHO分担金、出さないこと考えていない

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017

Japanese article:
headlines.yahoo.co.jp

--トランプ米大統領は世界保健機関(WHO)が中国寄りとして資金拠出の停止を表明しているが、16日の主要国(G7)首脳のテレビ会議で首相はWHOについてどのように発言したのか。WHOへの資金拠出を見 - Yahoo!ニュース(産経新聞)

So you're saying people are mistranslating to suit their own agenda?

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I was about to say this. There's a middle ground between being a fucking asshole like Trump and acting like their actions towards the COVID pandemic have been impecable. Hell, they've been contradicting themselves about the efficiency of face masks for like a month now, when it's pretty damn clear that they do help stop the spread.
something is better than nothing at all when it comes to wearing a mask, not hard to understand.

Even 1 % of protection more than to not have anything is worth it. The least that people can do for one another, why not

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
sure reform the WHO but what makes people think the WHO will be able to make China budge from their one china policy?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
He's right, and this seems like the most reasonable approach.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017

Japanese article:
headlines.yahoo.co.jp

US news entertainment doing a shitty job? quelle surprise

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, WHO taking a political stance regarding Taiwan is super messed up. There is definitely corruption behind the scenes.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why doesn't the world just recognise Taiwan officially, China need to export etc. fuck them, what are they going to do?

I understand people thinking the WHO and others need to play nice so they have access or whatever in China but for China to be successful, they couldn't keep their nose out of joint and would have to accept the world calling their bluff?

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I keep seeing this, and sure, Taiwan should be recognised.

But funnily enough I don't see Japan on this list. Or the USA. Or my own country, the UK, for that matter.

So why is the WHO expected to do what Japan or the USA or EU countries won't?

Because the nature of Japan, the US and the UK's relationship with Taiwan is fundamentally different from the complete exclusion that the WHO imposes on Taiwan. From my understanding, the WHO doesn't even allow Taiwan to participate behind the scenes, and considers anything that happens in Taiwan to be statistically part of China. It's not really the same thing.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Why doesn't the world just recognise Taiwan officially, China need to export etc. fuck them, what are they going to do?

I understand people thinking the WHO and others need to play nice so they have access or whatever in China but for China to be successful, they couldn't keep their nose out of joint and would have to accept the world calling their bluff?

I mean this is really naive to how the world works in the first place, but also even not going down the route of "everyone should just band together against china what are they gonna do!?" political naivety, the simplest answer is that maintaining relations with China is something most countries see as more beneficial over supporting Taiwan.

Countries aren't run on a scout merit system.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This seems like the right approach. There are questions the WHO need to answer, but withdrawing funding now is stupid.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Because the nature of Japan, the US and the UK's relationship with Taiwan is fundamentally different from the complete exclusion that the WHO imposes on Taiwan. From my understanding, the WHO doesn't even allow Taiwan to participate behind the scenes, and considers anything that happens in Taiwan to be statistically part of China. It's not really the same thing.

Is this true?

There was a WHO briefing the other day and they ran through several points indicating where they've collaborated with Taiwan. Will try and find it - annoyingly the news cut away from it before they'd fully gone through each of the points.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I mean this is really naive to how the world works in the first place, but also even not going down the route of "everyone should just band together against china what are they gonna do!?" political naivety, the simplest answer is that maintaining relations with China is something most countries see as more beneficial over supporting Taiwan.

Countries aren't run on a scout merit system.

Well you would be right if this was only about Taiwan, but there are MANY concerns about the Chinese government, I think it is time now to put them in check or see other alternatives, twisting everybody's arm to get what they want is pretty fucking disgusting.

Oct 27, 2017
If you want to review the WHO, that's totally fine. An organization isn't blameless, especially as more details of this whole situation will come out.

But waiting until it's over as he says seems like the sensible thing to do rather than pull a major funding source to throw a hissy fit and deflect blame from yourself and your administrations' piss poor response in the middle of a global pandemic that's going to negatively impact saving lives, including the lives of your own people.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Well you would be right if this was only about Taiwan, but there are MANY concerns about the Chinese government, I think it is time now to put them in check or see other alternatives, twisting everybody's arm to get what they want is pretty fucking disgusting.

And support another country that run coups even against their supposed "allies" (more like lap dogs now)

www.greenleft.org.au

Remembering November 11, 1975: Pine Gap, the CIA and the coup to remove Whitlam

Gough Whitlam was a maverick social democrat who believed a foreign power should not be allowed to dictate Australia’s economic and foreign policies. There seems little doubt the US was involved in his sacking.
www.theguardian.com

The British-American coup that ended Australian independence | John Pilger

John Pilger: In 1975 prime minister Gough Whitlam, who has died this week, dared to try to assert his country’s autonomy. The CIA and MI6 made sure he paid the price

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
the issue of the WHO, Taiwan, UN, and China is really annoying in that China has a lot of leverage, and up to now, its something most states preferred not to directly fight hard mostly due to economics, Taiwan itself being kinda "ehhh" on the issue. Truthfully, the WHO and the UN cant do shit unless countries bands against China to push the Taiwan issue and but...China will go hard to prevent that occurring....most of this is frankly, posturing but....

eh. China's economic power is huge, and most states will not want to get punished over a issue China sees as vitally important. so it requires a united front backed by the EU, USA, economic reprisals against China cause China will economically push back and threaten economic ties if Taiwan looks to be gaining.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018

I dunno what "." means. Truthfully, there is middle ground. The WHO assistant director running in fear for his life from a question regarding Taiwan by a reporter (not literally) is...tbh really disturbing. WHO-Taiwan meetings/communication are muddled with Taiwan accusing the WHO of deliberately avoiding Taiwan and again, having the WHO run from Taiwan related questions by reporters does not inspire confidence that the WHO is doing its utmost to cooperate with Taiwan and urges closer examination of China's influence on the org. If China's budget money isn't even that high, why are the WHO's personnel acting like Trump's cabinet with China? Does not match up.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno what "." means. Truthfully, there is middle ground. The WHO assistant director running in fear for his life from a question regarding Taiwan by a reporter (not literally) is...tbh really disturbing. WHO-Taiwan meetings/communication are muddled with Taiwan accusing the WHO of deliberately avoiding Taiwan and again, having the WHO run from Taiwan related questions by reporters does not inspire confidence that the WHO is doing its utmost to cooperate with Taiwan and urges closer examination of China's influence on the org. If China's budget money isn't even that high, why are the WHO's personnel acting like Trump's cabinet with China? Does not match up.

It means I agree with you fully.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I was banned for saying that the WHO is politically compromised. The truth is that they are, they are supposed to be a global organization, they should not be afraid of hurting the CCPs feelings. They should call out all countries regularly, including the US, when they fail to do what is needed to maintain global public health.

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
Things aren't all black and white. You can blame Trump for being a complete idiot in the handling of WHO relations and also disapprove of WHO's treatment of Taiwan.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
I was banned for saying that the WHO is politically compromised. The truth is that they are, they are supposed to be a global organization, they should not be afraid of hurting the CCPs feelings. They should call out all countries regularly, including the US, when they fail to do what is needed to maintain global public health.

I mean the problem is, as Trump demonstrated, they pull the funding and the org is done.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Trump doesn't have good intentions, there's nothing to applaud there. But the WHO does need reform to allow it to be completely transparent without fear of political reprisals.

That's the problem. It's impossible.

America pulled this shit and they're supposedly a democracy with checks and balances. 2 of the big world powers are literal Authoritarians. Europe is still fragmented, with the UK weakening it out of sheer hubris.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
That's the problem. It's impossible.

America pulled this shit and they're supposedly a democracy with checks and balances. The other big world powers are literal Authoritarians. Europe is still fragmented, with the UK weakening it out of sheer hubris.

It isn't impossible, but yeah it is incredibly difficult. The best solution is to require that its funding be protected by law so that individual countries cannot threaten to pull it. That's a herculean task for sure, but I don't think it's impossible.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't impossible, but yeah it is incredibly difficult. The best solution is to require that its funding be protected by law so that individual countries cannot threaten to pull it. That's a herculean task for sure, but I don't think it's impossible.

How are you going to enforce it? Trying to avoid pissing off the big superpowers is why this thing is a mess in the first place.

That's honestly my problem with people going "THE WHO ARE POLITICALLY COMPROMISED!" Like, yeah, no shit, but do you even understand why?