• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
It's very sad, really. I pity some of these people. This is nothing to celebrate, as deserving of punishment as she is. Trump has indoctrinated these people.
As much as these people are getting what they deserve, cases like this show how some people will lose most of their life for being so easily manipulated. It's sad they were manipulated and bought into it and for what? At 22 she should have had a long happy life but instead read the wrong things and had algorithms and unmoderated communities twist her.

hachikoma

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think you should make it clear of course that this is in a world where everyone is treated equally by law enforcement without a huge disparity fromminorities to white people and prisons actually reform not punish its prisoners.
prison abolitionists believe in abolishing prisons, even for white people! we don't support mass incarcerating our way to equality.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Lot of racist folks out there apparently managed to convince themselves that being a criminal is actually really easy and are now having a rude awakening.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
22 years old and ruined her life for trump. Hahaha damn. What an idiot.

Oct 25, 2017
p4jU0OH.jpg

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
It's almost as if stealing sensitive information that threatens the national security of your contry was a terrorist act subject to harsh sentences.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
I'm here. I don't support decades of imprisonment for this crime. I actually think that would be completely insane.
Maybe one year + community service or something of that sort. Or no prison at all but a bunch of other measures. 22 is young enough to turn things around and become a decent human being.

Nah fuck a year. People younger than her have been thrown in jail for lesser crimes for longer. The only way to get meaningful prison reform in America is if white America gets the same treatment as black people, that's pretty much the only way we'll get it.

The country has been doing the "oh no not this poor white person! Let's be lenient on them and push for prison reform" shtick for decades and you know what the end result is? Our current disparity where white lawbreakers are treated with kiddie gloves and black lawbreakers are fed to the for profit prison system. Because that empathy for the misguided white criminal isn't extended to black America at all.

The only way for meaningful change in this country for anything is simply put, is a sizeable chunk of white America being directly impacted by things designed to hurt black America. The very foundation of the country is built on keeping black America suppressed and down so the only way to change is for white America to be subjected to that very same thing en masse, anything else just keeps the status quo going

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm here. I don't support decades of imprisonment for this crime. I actually think that would be completely insane.
Maybe one year + community service or something of that sort. Or no prison at all but a bunch of other measures. 22 is young enough to turn things around and become a decent human being.

She... stole Nancy Pelosi's laptop... and tried to sell it to the Russians...

Community service?

Mar 27, 2018
I'm not usually one to argue for the death penalty, and she never even got anywhere with the laptop, but this was almost straight up treason. It only fell short because of her incompetence.

Actual treason is one of the few crimes I think still should have the death penalty, along with mass murder or a particularly gruesome crime against a single person.

I hope she's in jail until she's 50. This was serious, community service is not nearly enough.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
Are you fucking kidding me?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Community service for treason and the attempted destruction of American Democracy.

Jesus H...

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
And now we know what's at the bottom of the QANON rabbit-hole...... a decade in supermax.

Jun 13, 2020
1 year for taking part in an insurrection that aimed to destroy a democracy and undo an election (probably killing politicians), and killed 5 people? And 22 is old enough to be responsible for your actions. Why would she deserve any kind of clemency?

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Nah fuck a year. People younger than her have been thrown in jail for lesser crimes for longer.
yes and people get stoned to death for adultery in some countries. this is not a good argument for harsh sentencing.

The country has been doing the "oh no not this poor white person! Let's be lenient on them and push for prison reform" shtick for decades and you know what the end result is? Our current disparity where white lawbreakers are treated with kiddie gloves and black lawbreakers are fed to the for profit prison system. Because that empathy for the misguided white criminal isn't extended to black America at all.
Not disputing that.

The only way for meaningful change in this country for anything is simply put, is a sizeable chunk of white America being directly impacted by things designed to hurt black America. The very foundation of the country is built on keeping black America suppressed and down so the only way to change is for white America to be subjected to that very same thing en masse, anything else just keeps the status quo going
Perhaps. I'm not sure I agree that's the only way. I think whatever helps close the economic gap between white and black America would be the best thing but maybe I'm wrong.

I still think decades locked up is insane for this crime. Especially for a 22y old. I just don't see how it improves society for anyone. But going by this and other threads about crime here on here on Era I'm yet again left to conclude that most Americans are incapable of viewing crime and rehabilitation outside of their vindictive and simplistic good vs evil - and sadly often malicious - lens.

1 year for taking part in an insurrection that aimed to destroy a democracy and undo an election (probably killing politicians), and killed 5 people? And 22 is old enough to be responsible for your actions. Why would she deserve any kind of clemency?
Except from their point of view they are trying to save democracy. Yes that's insane. And yes these people are despicable racists, but they were also manipulated, taken advantage of and egged on by Trump, republicans, media and so on. I don't have any sympathy for a single one of them but to me most of the blame is on the republican representatives, lawmakers and pundits who legitimized Trumps fraud claims. I think it would be fair to send them to jail for a decade or two.

Last edited:

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

Community service for attempting to overthrow a democracy via violent insurrection? C'mon man.

May 26, 2018

no.

you do not get 365 days for attempting to literally sell out your entire country.

after being in a capitol-raiding insurrection.

she can find out how to be a better person and have a life altering epiphany without the freedom to participate in domestic terrorism during the interim.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine seeing and calling yourself an american patriot while trying to sell governmental infos from a legit US politicians notebook, which you stole, to a foreign power that's intertested in undermining your own country's stability, democracy and society.

I would love to see the reaction of people who fought for their country in WW2 when you tell them this, that people who commit treason are calling and seeing themselves as patriots.

Shame that someone this young ruined her whole life due to believing baseless lies from the internet and from a former TV show guy with the brain capacity of an earthworm.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen bullshit false equivalencies before but DAMN...
This is what I responded to:

"Nah fuck a year. People younger than her have been thrown in jail for lesser crimes for longer."

Adultery is an even lesser crime, with an ever harsher sentence in this context. Show me where the false equivalence is.
The point is that using prior harsh sentencing as a justification for more harsh sentencing is senseless.

I don't know if exactly one year is the appropriate amount of time, perhaps two or three years would do the trick. I know for sure decades probably isn't, at the very least not in the humanitarian disaster that the American prison system is and surely not if you care at all about rehabilitation and actually improving society.

Last edited:
May 26, 2018
Insurrection and espionage: it's just like cheating on your spouse, except divorce is a big party where siblings and cousins and friends are cordially invited to litigate.

flook

Oct 28, 2017
I don't get that if this young woman was a patriot and trying to stop the steal why then try to sell the laptop to the traditional enemy of the US - the Russians. Why not try to sell it to the three percenters or the proud guys? Surely they are at least on her side. What did she think the Russians would do with any info recovered from the device?

The whole thing is baffling.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
This is what I responded to:

"Nah fuck a year. People younger than her have been thrown in jail for lesser crimes for longer."

Adultery is an even lesser crime, with an ever harsher sentence in this context. Show me where the false equivalence is.
The point is that using prior harsh sentencing as a justification for more harsh sentencing is senseless.

I don't know if exactly one year is the appropriate amount of time, perhaps two or three years would do the trick. I know for sure decades probably isn't, at the very least not in the awful American prison system and surely not if you care at all about rehabilitation and actually improving society.

The reason why you give out long sentences for espionage is to stop people doing it. If community service was the punishment, the risk/reward relationship is completely off-balance.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
as being someone from the community i think i have the right to say that she can do us a service and live behind bars

feel free to take a few extra cents from my taxes to make sure she gets help while there

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
The reason why you give out long sentences for espionage is to stop people doing it. If community service was the punishment, the risk/reward relationship is completely off-balance.
So is this for selling the laptop part?
I missed that part, just read it now a minute ago.

I'm ok with harsher sentencing for that. I might have misunderstood this whole ordeal. I thought this was only about the rioting.

Last edited:

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
So is this for selling the laptop part?
I missed that part, just read it now a minute ago.

I'm ok with harsher sentencing for that. I might have misunderstood this whole ordeal. I thought this was only about the rioting.

It's in the fucking title of this thread (the stealing laptop part). How did you even come here? Do you have some sort of Keyword trigger for prison sentence and dive in?

Or do you think that stealing a laptop of a Government official (without selling it) is also worth just 1 year of prison. Is it the sale where you draw the line?

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
Harsh sentences don't really discourage crime though to my understanding.
Espionage is a different case, note how rarely it happens. If the FSB were to offer a CIA officer a substantial cash sum for downloading some files at work, they're probably more likely to do it if the potential punishment was community service rather than 20 years in jail.

element

Oct 27, 2017
What you are talking about is a sentence for stealing a laptop from a store. The Capitol Building isn't some Best Buy.

Let's just count the things she is suspected of doing:
She broke into a government building.
She stole government property.
She attempted to sell government property to a foreign nation.

She went from insurrection to potentially espionage. People have been sentenced to death for those crimes.

She made her choice. Warped mind or not and now she has to suffer the consequences of her actions. If convicted of all charges, 5 to 15 years wouldn't shock me.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
It's in the fucking title of this thread (the stealing laptop part). How did you even come here? Do you have some sort of Keyword trigger for prison sentence and dive in?

Or do you think that stealing a laptop of a Government official (without selling it) is also worth just 1 year of prison. Is it the sale where you draw the line?
No need to be rude.

There's nothing about her trying to sell the laptop to russia in the title. That would make it a much worse crime.

I think one year could be appropriate for simply stealing the laptop, but there are specific circumstances where I'd be ok with harsher sentencing.

Last edited:

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
An espionage charge is not what Riley expected, but will probably get.

Lock her up.

element

Oct 27, 2017
No need to be rude.

There's nothing about her trying to sell the laptop to russia in the title. That would make it a much worse crime.

I think one year could be appropriate for simply stealing the laptop, but there are specific circumstances where I'd be ok with harsher sentencing.
so you read the title, didn't read the first post, but still made a comment on it? Talk about drive by posting. Slow down. How about read and get all the information prior to posting.

As for punishment. There are countless stories of young BIPOC arrested and sent to prison for similar crimes for 2+ years when no violence happened. But because she is a young white girl with a bright future ahead of her she should get off with community service?

Perhaps when she gets out of jail she and Brock Turner can start dating and have a reality show 'We got away with it: White People Edition'

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
I think even Trump cultists will have a hard time justifying selling important information to a foreign country. They might like Russia and big daddy Putin, but not that much. This woman will be dumped immediately by the rest of the cult and labelled as another "false flag operation".