• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CNN has reported that Antony Blinken has told the U.S. Senate that the Biden administration will recognize Jerusalem as the capitol of Israel and will keep the embassy in Jerusalem:

www.cnn.com

Blinken says Biden administration will keep embassy in Jerusalem and recognize it as capitol of Israel

President-elect Joe Biden prepares for his inauguration tomorrow as President Trump enters his final full day of office. DC and states across the country have bolstered security ahead of Inauguration Day. Follow here for the latest.

Asked if he recognizes Jerusalem as Israel's capitol, Antony Blinken said, "yes." And asked if the US embassy would remain in Jerusalem, Blinken again said, "yes."

Both moves by the Trump administration were deeply controversial, as both Israelis and Palestinians claim the holy city as their capitol. The status of Jerusalem is such a thorny issue that international consensus was to leave discussion about it to the end of Israeli-Palestinian peace negotiations. Previous peace negotiations had included the idea that each side would claim a different part of the city as its capitol.

The Trump administration abandoned those internationally accepted parameters, stopped engaging with Palestinians, unilaterally moved its embassy to Jerusalem and recognized the city as Israel's capitol.

At Tuesday's hearing, Blinken indicated that he believes the Trump administration policies have pushed Israelis and Palestinians farther from a peace deal than they have been in decades. He stressed he believes that a "two-state solution, however distant it may appear, is still the best and probably the only way to truly assure Israel's future as a Jewish and democratic state and of course to give the Palestinians the state to which they are entitled."

"The challenge, of course, is how to move forward on that at a time when ... it seems more distant than it's ever been, at least since Oslo," Blinken said. Offering some praise for the Abraham Accords, the normalization agreements the Trump administration brokered between Israel and Gulf countries, Blinken said he hopes those agreements create progress toward an Israeli-Palestinian agreement.

"I hope that might also might create a greater sense of confidence and security in Israel as it considers its relationship with the Palestinians," Blinken said, "because whether we like or not, whether they like or not, it's not just going away."

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Biden is savvy enough to start moving the conversation back in the direction of the two-state solution. I don't see it happening, but I will be pleasantly surprised if he wakes up and realizes how stupid completely ignoring Palestine's claim would be.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Trying to rescind this is a minefield best left undisturbed.
Political capital is best spent restoring progress in the two-state solution which, admittedly, this very move made more difficult.
Hell, a lot of Pompeo's work has been to make international accord extremely difficult in service to his Dominionist mania.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Kinda feel sick, but...I'm honestly not surprised.

This is why i threw up in my mouth when I voted for him. But its better than fascism, and allows folks like him to eventually be voted out of the party. You know, instead of no longer having voting..?

Truth is, we're in a bubble here. I doubt millions of AMericans that voted for Joe even care.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
This was known. Joe's always been a zionist. There's not much left to be said.

Long term the world watches as America sides with the oppressor. History will not be kind.

Happy for Joe for other reasons, but he was always squandering Baracks pressure on Israel. Biden and Hillary ..

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Lol Joe Bidens was one of Israelis biggest supports in the senate, don't expect him to do anything against the apartheid state

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Trying to undo this would be a waste of capital and a waste of time. Sucks to say but Trump forced us into a corner here.

So I'm not upset, as this was inevitable. Hoping for progress elsewhere.

Joe is an old school guy though. Israel/Palestine isn't going to be a mystery with him.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Still haven't heard a single politician call this situation for what it is except Bernie Sanders....

Shit made me damn near hit the floor when he said it during that debate. I cant even remember EXACTLY what he said, but it wasn't the same ol' tow the line bullshit. I was super shocked.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I'm more disappointed by the lie that a 2-state solution is still possible. I don't see how it is after so many illegal colonies and assorted land theft. You think Israel will give it all back?

Give all palestinians israeli citizenship and get on with it.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lol Joe Bidens was one of Israelis biggest supports in the senate, don't expect him to do anything against the apartheid state

Which is so disappointing when you look at his floor speech on the South African apartheid regime.

What happened to that guy? In 4 years the US position on this matter will not have changed.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
SlowUnderstatedHumpbackwhale-size_restricted.gif

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Congress approved the move years ago. It's one thing to stymie it being implemented, but if he tries to reverse the decision, SCOTUS will just block him on it.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
The division of Palestine was a shit-show long before I was born, and I fear it will be a shit-show long after I die

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not a surprise. What's done is done with that.

There are other priorities that can and should take precedence.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Completely unsurprising and I'd question anybody who is mad or surprised about this.

I don't even understand what moving it back would accomplish. It would be even more theatrical than the initial move itself as though America doesn't very obviously recognize Israel's sovereignty and isn't one of their strongest allies. If they wanted to actually force Israel to take a position on something, they have many other better tools at their disposal...which they have no intention of using.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
This is disappointing but Biden has to focus on other battles right now. GOP can easily spin that type of move into anti-semitic. Of course nobody says anti-palestinian but that's another argument.

Dec 31, 2017
Trying to undo this would be a waste of capital and a waste of time. Sucks to say but Trump forced us into a corner here.

So I'm not upset, as this was inevitable. Hoping for progress elsewhere.

Joe is an old school guy though. Israel/Palestine isn't going to be a mystery with him.

this, as disappointing as this is.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
Yeah politically it's a sticky wicket. I can't blame Biden for not wanting to open this can of worms again.

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think part of the calculation is continuity in policy so that other countries can count on the US long term, regardless if you agree with any particular policy decision. Can you imagine what would happen if the US kept switching positions every time the parties turn over? That would cause chaos for our allies and invite all sorts of foreign fuckery into our political process (even more so than what we have now). It is shitty, but I think Biden is making the right move. And because of this, I expect Biden is actually going to continue with more than a few Trump policies.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if there are some quite talks later on, but yeah, he's not going to make a move that could be touted as an attack on Israel as soon as he's sworn in.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not shocked. Nobody else should be shocked. Pro-Israel sentiments will not be going away anytime soon in politics, and Biden's trying to maintain or repair our international relations and he certainly isn't going to step on Israel's toes since he has always been pro-Israel.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be very hard to reverse this decision because the embassy in jerusalem was established by congress in an official law in the 1990s, previous administration's had just postponed the date they'd move it officially thru a waiver every 6months. Trump admin was the first that didn't request the waiver and officially followed thru on the law.

The 6 month waivers requested by every administration since 1999 (the law passed overwhelmingly in 1995 but didn't take effect until 1999) were always granted on the grounds of national security, which was a farce (the 20 years of delays was for political reasons, not nat sec reasons).

It's unclear if the State Dept can move the embassy again without an act of congress or some other waiver process. It just seems like something that an incoming administration will not want to stir up.

Here's the law:

Last edited:

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
Remember, Biden was flanking Obama on his stance with Israel as well. This isn't too surprising, but is disgusting as fuck.

Palestinians, as always, are going to be fucked by another US president.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Which is so disappointing when you look at his floor speech on the South African apartheid regime.

What happened to that guy? In 4 years the US position on this matter will not have changed.

Joe Biden doesn't have convictions. If it were politically risky to condemn South Africa at the time he would have happily jumped in bed with them.

Oct 28, 2017
It's gross. But what are you going to do? Stick your hand back into the bee's nest? Can't rewind time on some things without causing more unrest.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Truly who among us can blame Joe Biden for not wanting to expend political capital on a group of people being wiped from the Earth with aid from the country he will be president of.

It's too bad his hands are tied or else he definitely would have done something about this despite being a roadblock in the way of progress when he was Vice President.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
"Poor Joe can't do anything about it."
Yeah, Biden is only the President after all. Stop expecting this poor old man to make the right choice.

On another note, Biden also continues the true bipartisanship of American Imperialism in Venezuela:

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
Fuck him, fuck them, fuck the Dem enablers.