• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Who would hate Jane? She's awesome.
AV Club covered it. Basically she's an intense people pleaser with boundary issues. If someone tried that desperately to get me to like them it'd probably be a turn off. I can't handle people being that forward.

JV (her new name) isn't that extreme, but it reminds me of being around any sitcom character. They're fun for 20 minutes, but you sure as hell wouldn't want to live with them.

OP
OP
Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
AV Club covered it. Basically she's an intense people pleaser with boundary issues. If someone tried that desperately to get me to like them it'd probably be a turn off. I can't handle people being that forward.

JV (her new name) isn't that extreme, but it reminds me of being around any sitcom character. They're fun for 20 minutes, but you sure as hell wouldn't want to live with them.
Aye, she doesn't have any recurring friends either. Only the people in her circle. They tried it in previous seasons but no one stuck around to create a meaningful friendship.
JV is only close to her BFs and family. Even the Petra / JV thing is not shown that often.

Although to be fair, friendship is probably not the focus of the show. :/

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
When Rafael let Jane and family live at his hotel for months at no charge, and the whole lot kept shittalking him behind his back was when I realized how terrible a family they are. Jane is self-righteous and will not stop at anything to prove you wrong even when you're right, Xiomara is a terrible role model incapable of upholding a relationship and using protection, and Abuela is a hypocrite that uses emotional blackmail to control Jane and Xiomara. They are unlikable.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
AV Club: B+
"Chapter Eighty-One" Promo

So what's the big Friday night cliffhanger? They're not really gonna do Jane and Raf are related are they? They did drop that "the maid was his mother" line more than once...

And yeah this week was the usual exposition and set up for the finale that drags penultimate episodes down. Petra seeming suspicious too. I guess we'll finally see what happened next week.

Last edited:

Ionitron

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This episode was absolutely starting to destroy me with Xo. Shit, man.

Also man that chemistry between Rafael and Jane really skyrocketed with me this episode. Super convincing how in love they are.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone else's airing not have subtitles for the Spanish dialogue?

It actually made it sort of fun to have to follow the context.

Raf's hippy phase made me forget how freaking hot he is. Jesus lord in heaven.

OP
OP
Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Whoo what an episode!

The last bit with River Fields and Xo bonding was amazing.

AV Club: B+
"Chapter Eighty-One" Promo

So what's the big Friday night cliffhanger? They're not really gonna do Jane and Raf are related are they? They did drop that "the maid was his mother" line more than once...

And yeah this week was the usual exposition and set up for the finale that drags penultimate episodes down. Petra seeming suspicious too. I guess we'll finally see what happened next week.
Maybe Jane was Raf's mother!! *gasp*
I still suspect Petra. Dammit, why did they bring back this plot? We never actually saw what happened after all.

This episode was absolutely starting to destroy me with Xo. Shit, man.

Also man that chemistry between Rafael and Jane really skyrocketed with me this episode. Super convincing how in love they are.
I didn't know about the cold cap, none of the previous shows I watched that had cancer patients mentioned it. That was so heartbreaking.
Raf is a great romantic lead. He has strengths, flaws. He is apologetic and caring. He has his own developing storyline. (Still miss Michael though...)

Did anyone else's airing not have subtitles for the Spanish dialogue?

It actually made it sort of fun to have to follow the context.

Raf's hippy phase made me forget how freaking hot he is. Jesus lord in heaven.
I watched it on Netflix. UK Netflix actually keeps up with the episode weekly. It's great if you wanna watch the older S4 episodes again.
If this was a Korean drama, there'd be a lot of scenes with Raf in the shower, haha.

OP
OP
Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
JR
hasn't been shot.
I watch each episode looking out for it. Keep that up, writers.

Like I said, Raf being awful in the first half of the season helped because he had to really pull it together for the second half. Rogelio seems to be there for Xo too.
They came a long way since the first season. Especially Rogelio.

Nice... me and the wife LOVE this series--!
This season is really good. You both will enjoy it.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This season is really good. You both will enjoy it.

thanks... we are watching The Walking Dead, Orange is the new Black, Better Call Saul. A danish Series called "Advokaten" and Jane the Virgin together.. some of these are just ending their season.. so I am looking forward to Jane season 4.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I haven't seen it yet but AV Club just gave the finale an A and called it a game changer. Going to watch shortly!

e: also apparently watch out for spoilers so watch it ASAP

Last edited:

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Welp, if there was ever a time when the show acted like a telenovela, the show nailed it. That ending... wow.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
The AVClub review has a theory about S5 that, if true, would be the most impressive meta-moment in TV history.

oh my god

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
OH MY GOD

MY BEST DREAM

GOD FUCKING DAMN

(also I have to say, huge kudos on them subverting the whole lesbian JR getting shot thing)

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force

Here's a video of the table read reveal.

Also Jennie Urman took interviews, here's a couple of small things that are more debunkings than confirmations:
It's not Michael's twin brother. He didn't consciously fake his death (aka torture Jane for years). She won't say if it's really Michael, but Rafael is under the impression it is. It's not Magda who JR shot. The "return from the dead" mention in Passions of Santos was a hint this would happen. Zero's note: If you'll remember they also keep bringing up amnesia as the other plot point. So... go figure.

She also didn't confront the absolute biggest question, about the most important relationship in the show:
How will Rogelio react to Michael's return

Our surprise guest isn't currently set as a series regular next season because they have a pilot, but it's on CBS and from The One Day at a Time team who are obviously good friends with the Jane team (Darcie being around constantly), so they don't think there'll be problems with them appearing. The plan is also for plenty of Brooke Shields and Rosario Dawson too.

Interviews: Vulture | TVLine | THR | Variety

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
That season finale was so good. This show is just breathtakingly amazing every week and I'm so sad it's gone for the summer. What will I Netflix on Saturday mornings now?

Ionitron

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Just what the fuck with that finale WHAT THE FUCK.

AGHHH Frankly I'm just kinda angry and shocked.

OP
OP
Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
WHAT THE HELL?! I just finished the finale.
I was expecting someone to die, I just did not expect this? Whatever this was.

Brilliant, really!
Who did JR shoot?!
Michael??

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
God this is TERRIBLE. This just confirms that 2018 is the worst timeline.

The Mark Blandanawicz of Jane the Virgin returns to ruin the show's most glorious, hard-fought relationship. I wasn't ever anti-Michael, and I'm comfortable with the thought of him boringly hooking up with Rogelio after a few bottles of wine. I didn't cheer when he died, but this is not the resurrection I was looking for. I wanted SCOTT to rise from the dead before this clown.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Jane the Virgin was the #1 trending topic on Twitter for over 12 hours last night after barely registering top 10 all season long XD

These writers are too good at this shit. Fifth season is going to be amazing.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
My interest in season 5 plummeted immensely in those last two seconds. Just... ugh.

Return of the Bore.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Fuck me, I thought we were past this charisma black hole.

Well.

Maybe having amnesia will have turned Michael into a character with slightly more gravitas than a wet noodle that didn't even father Mateo.

I admit that he's leagues better than Adam, at least. Also better than Jane's slutty/exploitative male professor.

Other male characters better than Michael? Scott. Chuck, Petra's hick ex-boyfriend. Michael's partner who dated Jane once. Fabian. The Latin Lover Narrator. Emilio Solano. ESTEBAN. Mateo (but not toddler Mateo, fuck him). Jorge. Ivan the Czech criminal. Milos. And finally, Henchman #1, played by Jim Boeven, for 4 episodes during 2015 (thanks IMDB).

OP
OP
Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
It seems kinda a waste of emotions/drama to have Michael back. Hopefully it won't become a love triangle again.
But Michael...

The fact that Jane the Virgin was the #1 trending topic on Twitter for over 12 hours last night after barely registering top 10 all season long XD

These writers are too good at this shit. Fifth season is going to be amazing.
They have like 2 big twists in this finale!
I am still processing the Petra/JR bit. What a twist!

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Well.

Maybe having amnesia will have turned Michael into a character with slightly more gravitas than a wet noodle that didn't even father Mateo.

I admit that he's leagues better than Adam, at least. Also better than Jane's slutty/exploitative male professor.

Other male characters better than Michael? Scott. Chuck, Petra's hick ex-boyfriend. Michael's partner who dated Jane once. Fabian. The Latin Lover Narrator. Emilio Solano. ESTEBAN. Mateo (but not toddler Mateo, fuck him). Jorge. Ivan the Czech criminal. Milos. And finally, Henchman #1, played by Jim Boeven, for 4 episodes during 2015 (thanks IMDB).
How dare you besmirch the name of suspiciously hairless godking Adam and his holy dimples!

OP
OP
Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
I swear the media is happy to spill the beans to everyone. The name is attached to a lot of Season 4 finale articles.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
We have quit the show early this season, but I'll say that for as much as I despise Michael, hating him had me more entertained than the show after his death. Maybe his return is for the best.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The season finale put me on tilt, lol

When I thought they were going for the
incest twist
I legitimately started to feel tense and uncomfortable. Mercifully it was
entirely intentional, but holy shit the entire episode set up so many potential dreadful plot threads. Like when they reminded you that
Mateo was kidnapped by Rose at some point and implied he might have been replaced.

The final reveal made me laugh out loud.

EDIT: Also props for not
killing off J.R. Obviously the show's too smart for fridging lesbians, but damn what a nasty trick!

OP
OP
Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
The season finale put me on tilt, lol

When I thought they were going for the
incest twist
I legitimately started to feel tense and uncomfortable.
I knew it wouldn't be that type of twist. They even made Jane referenced it. I thought it would be about his parents.

I'm surprised so many people here hate Michael.
#TeamMichael. I doubt they would rehash it though.

I can't wait to see Michael reading Jane's book. And see his kid.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Fucking hell that episode was meta. That twist was not what I expected at all, what the fuck

I just love how cleverly this show fucks around with your expectations and plot twists/tropes

Ionitron

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I just really hope that with all they did to make me fall for the idea of Jane x Rafael that they actually stick with it.

bringing Michael back is such a punch to the gut to Jane I can imagine, not to mention the audience, lol... and he either has amnesia or it's not actually him. I was even all Team Michael before he died but they really convinced me on Jane and Rafael and I was so happy that she was starting to have a future with him. :( I think she'll accept that she moved on from Michael.

Now to wait half a year D:

KamalaHarris

Oct 28, 2017
I just watched the finale

Jane there is a reason your book flopped, not many are interested in a love story about you and the boredom that is Michael so pick Raf

OP
OP
Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I was so sure that Petra had been Anezka all along that I never saw the real twist coming.
I'm glad they didn't. They repeated some twists multiple times, but I've never liked the Anezka one.
They feel like two completely different people.

The only place I feel it's worked is Orphan Black, when clones pretend to be other clones.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they didn't. They repeated some twists multiple times, but I've never liked the Anezka one.
They feel like two completely different people.

The only place I feel it's worked is Orphan Black, when clones pretend to be other clones.

I'm glad too. Especially with how much progress Jane and Petra made on their relationship this season. And that were some of my favorite scenes in Orphan Black. Tatiana Maslany's real good at that.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm bummed that we'll have to wait until January for new episodes. I've gotten so accustomed to October ;__;

OP
OP
Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad too. Especially with how much progress Jane and Petra made on their relationship this season. And that were some of my favorite scenes in Orphan Black. Tatiana Maslany's real good at that.
Yes. She played very convincingly, like how their speech/accent would be more forced when they have to pretend to be other clone.
Whereas Anezka was just... Petra.

I'm bummed that we'll have to wait until January for new episodes. I've gotten so accustomed to October ;__;
I know... The wait is so hard.
There's nothing similar to watch meanwhile.