• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
V1nfCsK.jpg

A comedy-drama following a chaste young woman who is accidentally impregnated via artificial insemination as she struggles to inform her devoutly religious family and make the right choices concerning the child.

Jane the Virgin is an American adaptation of "Juana la virgen," a telenovela (Spanish soap opera) with a lot of subversions and twists. Main lead actress Gina Rodriguez won a Golden Globe for her role of Jane in 2015.

Casts:
Jane Villanueva
by Gina Rodriguez
Petra Solano by Yael Grobglas
Rafael Solano by Justin Baldoni
Xiomara Villanueva by Andrea Navedo
Rogelio De La Vega by Jaime Camil
Michael Cordero Jr by Brett Dier

Guests:
Jane Ramos
by Rosario Dawson
River Fields by Brooke Shields
Chuck Chesser by Johnny Messner
Darci Factor by Justina Machado
Rose by Bridget Regan

Promo Videos:
Season 5 Promo

Links:
CWTV
Netflix

Screenshots:

Air Date:
S05 E01 - March 27, 2019
S05 E02 - April 3, 2019
S05 E03 - April 10, 2019

Which brings us... here. Now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Episode 410: First episode directed by Gina Rodriguez.

Rated A - AV Club Review
Like last episode's fantasy sequences, this chapter has moments of flirtation derailed by pressing personal issues, and no matter how hard Jane and Rafael try to act like strangers on a sexy adventure, they can't stop their history from seeping back in.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Great OP!

Who could've seen that premise and predicted that four seasons later, this would still be one of the best shows on television?

OP
OP
Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Rafael is the worst. He's the type of self-absorbed who can't even acknowledge that he's self-absorbed.

I think Jane actually had some chemistry with Adam, but he was indeed better off as a narrative vehicle to show Jane that she could love again ;__;

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I'm finally interested in the show again, now that everything is back on track with #Jafael (except I know in true soap opera fashion, they're going to break up/get back together about 40 more times).

Michael and Adam were soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boring and brought down the last couple seasons/had me tuning out of the beginning of this season.

Jane/Xo/Abuela, along with Rogelio, are still charming as ever, but when the other half of the show is boring as fuuuuuuuck, it's a chore to watch.

Now it's exciting again!

OP
OP
Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Rafael is the worst. He's the type of self-absorbed who can't even acknowledge that he's self-absorbed.

I think Jane actually had some chemistry with Adam, but he was indeed better off as a narrative vehicle to show Jane that she could love again ;__;
I liked Zen Rafael for as long as he lasted.
I wasn't that into Jane's relationship with Adam. Perhaps it's because Jane was always with more mature guys.

I'm finally interested in the show again, now that everything is back on track with #Jafael (except I know in true soap opera fashion, they're going to break up/get back together about 40 more times).

Michael and Adam were soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boring and brought down the last couple seasons/had me tuning out of the beginning of this season.

Jane/Xo/Abuela, along with Rogelio, are still charming as ever, but when the other half of the show is boring as fuuuuuuuck, it's a chore to watch.

Now it's exciting again!
Rogelio steals all the scenes he's in. Perfect casting decision.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I like the possible same sex relationship Petra story... kinda weird that she cut her hair shorter at the exact same time she started to get an LGBT storyline though.

It does look cute though and Jane Ramos has long hair so I doubt it was intentional I hope.
We have at least 5 lesbian (or bicurious) female characters now though, and no gay male characters (with the exception of Adam who was bisexual). Maybe Jane needs to get a gay best friend haha

OP
OP
Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
I like the possible same sex relationship Petra story... kinda weird that she cut her hair shorter at the exact same time she started to get an LGBT storyline though.

It does look cute though and Jane Ramos has long hair so I doubt it was intentional I hope.
We have at least 5 lesbian (or bicurious) female characters now though, and no gay male characters (with the exception of Adam who was bisexual). Maybe Jane needs to get a gay best friend haha
It's very similar to a character in Crazy ex girlfriend show this season. (Same CW network.)

5 female LGBT characters? There's Rose and Luisa, I don't remember the fifth one?

Jane had a "gay best friend" once in the writer's school act.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's very similar to a character in Crazy ex girlfriend show this season. (Same CW network.)

5 female LGBT characters? There's Rose and Luisa, I don't remember the fifth one?

Jane had a "gay best friend" once in the writer's school act.
Petra's assistant, Krishna (who I also believe is the one trying to get Petra arrested)

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm with you. My wife and I literally stopped watching after the episode or two after that and haven't been back. I don't know why, but it shattered oro image of the show.

I'm still watching cus It's still a great show but damn. That part killed me. It still hurts whenever it's mentioned cus he was such a great character.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm with you. My wife and I literally stopped watching after the episode or two after that and haven't been back. I don't know why, but it shattered oro image of the show.
I think the producers said that they did the time skip because the time skipped was the amount of time it took for someone to start healing after that kind of tragedy. But I didn't get to experience that time, show! Michael still died yesterday to me :( And because Sin Rostro killed Michael, technically, I hate Raphael's sister
Haven't seen any of season 4, tho.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
I think the producers said that they did the time skip because the time skipped was the amount of time it took for someone to start healing after that kind of tragedy. But I didn't get to experience that time, show! Michael still died yesterday to me :( And because Sin Rostro killed Michael, technically, I hate Raphael's sister
Haven't seen any of season 4, tho.
They filled in a lot of gaps with some really amazing (and thematically relevant) flashback scenes in the rest of the season's episodes showing how Jane put the pieces together in the immediate aftermath.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW

Now it's exciting again!
Thank you! Michael was terrible, and I've been Team #Jafael all the way. But you know this, and you understand my irrational love for everything Petra.

I think this show has one good half-season left, and then it'll be time to end it gracefully.

OP
OP
Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Arghh. I didn't know there is a big gap until the next episode. Was looking to see it all weekend.

I stopped some part into season 1. Not sure if I should get back in.
I couldn't get into it around season 1, but once you get to know everyone, it was fun seeing them interact and react to the revolving plot.

Thank you! Michael was terrible, and I've been Team #Jafael all the way. But you know this, and you understand my irrational love for everything Petra.

I think this show has one good half-season left, and then it'll be time to end it gracefully.
Petra is my most favourite character. Her character grew the most out of everyone, naturally. She makes a nice contrast to Jane.
She also has the funniest facial expression. Watching her get into the most unfortunate situations makes you feel sorry for her.
Especially after the time skip when she became a doting, proud mum.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this episode is getting into some deep and nuanced places re: power dynamics in the workplace.

OP
OP
Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Episode 411: Underdeveloped storytelling.

Rated B - AV Club Review
The cast of Jane The Virgin is on job hunt in "Chapter Seventy-Five," but before they can move forward, they need to decide on what they really want. Jane wants to be a writer, but when her lifestyle book with Petra is shelved because of Petra's murder charges, she gives teaching another shot.

Last episode muses:
-It's fun seeing Jane growing from the No sex after marriage into a sex-positive woman. I forgot Jane and Rafael never slept together.
-Jane and her abuela's story in this episode was amusing. The teacher became the student, Jane is teaching her about sex now.
-I liked the Peter/JR bit so far. I don't think it's rushed, Jane/Rafael took just as long. They need more screentime is all.
-Rogelio's story is pointless. From actor > stay at home dad > actor again. I love the guy, but I feel this is as far as his character would grow. His bit on the interview was hilarious though.

I didn't know we were bothering with an OT lol

Time to watch!
I was waiting for an OT, but no one made one, hah.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, every Rogelio storyline turns out to be a rehash of his S1 insecurities, but his quips are so hilarious that I just roll with it.

Ultimately, I'm OK with him being this show's Samantha :-p

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Rogelio doesn't pay enough attention to Xo and can't work with a co-star, LXXV

Feels like Xo's lack of a career has been her only story for the past two years as well. It was an issue before the time skip and not resolved at all.

OP
OP
Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the episode. Very enjoyable. Characters play off each other very well.

Agree that they are trying hard to make some characters relevant. In a way, Xo and Rogelio's will-they-or-won't-they dynamic was the highlight for both characters.
Loved Rogelio in this episode though, at the end it was still the same old "You don't listen to my problems" thing.

Chavez is so... ughh. I hope it's not the end of that storyline. I mean, boss/employee is different to teacher/student.
The whole college thing in this episode feels like they were trying to address how problematic Chavez/Jane's story was last time.

Petra gets a bit sidelined this episode. Excited to see who really framed her. Hopefully not Krishna.

OP
OP
Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
In the perspective of current Jane, it was weird. It seemed justified when she did it.
Like the narrator said, it's the matter of framing.

OP
OP
Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Episode 412: Inner Critic Battle

Rated B+ - AV Club Review
Obsessing over reviews is an easy way to pull yourself away from the work, and because Jane is insecure about her writing, she's projecting much more malice on her negative review than is actually in the text. She's been processing her emotions by writing letters to the critic that she never sends, but she needs to take more proactive measures to get her creative juices flowing again.

-I bet anything Jane and Rafael are going to get hitched by the end of the season, by the way their relationship evolves this episode.
-Petra's reactions are always on point. I like how she got called out by both Jane, hilarious.
-Jane is still put off by the critic review, perhaps thanks to this development, she'd be able to put out a more original book.
-Rogelio is so extra, he's the bestest.
-Luisa's return? Is she the one blackmailing Petra?
-Unsure about breast cancer plotline.
I hope neither Xo or JR will get killed off. That'd suck.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, you best believe that JR
is completely toast

Anything else would be the most heroically atypical approach to the fate of a lesbian side character on television.

OP
OP
Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, you best believe that JR
is completely toast

Anything else would be the most heroically atypical approach to the fate of a lesbian side character on television.
Ahh don't remind me.
I accidentally read about Dawson's contract and I kept watching out for it.

I hope JTV team will have some class. I mean, with Rose's story and all.

OP
OP
Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Episode 413: The power of belief

Rated A - AVClub Review
Jane is trying not to worry about the lump in her mother's breast until they get biopsy results, but when Elsa and Anna tell Mateo that the tooth fairy isn't real, Jane goes into an emotional tailspin as she thinks about how her mother shaped her life.

More muses:
-Rogelio really loves Xo. Jane was so strong for most of the episode.
-There are so many comedic moments in this episode.
-Petra is so sweet acting as the tooth fairy. I had an inkling Krishna's thing will be addressed somehow. (She left a note on dry cleaning, that's a good punchline.)
-Rose has such an overwhelming presence.
-I knew the lump would be part of a larger storyline, having it be non cancerous would be pointless in term of how this show works.

"I hate taking other people's pens."

Oh Petra

;___;

EDIT: no ;___;
That thing with JR was rather pointless in the end.
I guess you can say it's a commentary on how much Petra has changed.

Don't even fucking dare, show >:(
She's important, right? They're not going to... right?

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Four seasons in and there's the first episode to match my personal A+ for the pilot.

The writing was impeccable. Every scene was pitch perfect.

Gina Rodriguez's directorial debut earlier this season was great, but Justin Baldoni directed the fuck out of tonight's episode.

OP
OP
Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Episode 414: Tearjerker.

Rated A - AV Club Review
I hope everyone has tissues handy for tonight's Jane The Virgin. Or an absorbent shirt that won't irritate your eyes when you wipe tears away. The cancer storyline has taken the show in a heartbreaking direction as everyone worries about the future for a beloved member of the Villanueva family.
Great review. Love reading these after I finished an episode.

One of the best episodes in a long time, maybe the best since Michael's finale.
This latest episode is even better imo. Balance of comedy and drama.
Very strong season so far.

Wow. Four seasons in and there's the first episode to match my personal A+ for the pilot.

Gina Rodriguez's directorial debut earlier this season was great, but Justin Baldoni directed the fuck out of tonight's episode.
Yep. Yep. Yep. Agree.
There's no boring moments in this episode.

Mateo's innocent moments with his dad, Villanueva family moments, I thought they've written off JR, hah. Didn't like the foreshadowing at the end though, no more Milos please.
I loved how Jane was so offended when Petra said "Eww..." So good, comedy gold.

Itchy Jane in the mud bath as well, so weird and funny.

Rogelio and Xio did not have that many interactions, they saved everything for the talk at the end, perfect.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force

This latest episode is even better imo. Balance of comedy and drama.
Very strong season so far.

God damn that was a fantastic episode. It perfectly switched between emotional and hilarious from line to line. I was literally in tears the entire time because it kept making me cry/laugh so quickly. Everybody's cast member's plot felt full and well served. Was so shocked it wasn't written by Jennie Urman.

Also it makes sense that Raf and Ro acted like garbage earlier in the season because they really get to flex being strong characters now when it counts.

And the Vicks VapoRub hit too damn close to home.

tbh I hated Gina's episode, not the direction but the writing and themes. Probably my least favorite alongside the episode which spanned five months. I'm weird, I think I'm the only person who doesn't like those eps.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to believe praise for the show I read now. GF and I dropped it after we grew tired of the infinite recycling of plotstrings and some very questionable characterization at the beginning of the season.

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Rafael sincerely fearing that Petra was trying to cuckold him was one of the funniest bits the show has ever done.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to believe praise for the show I read now. GF and I dropped it after we grew tired of the infinite recycling of plotstrings and some very questionable characterization at the beginning of the season.
It really has rebounded in a beautiful way.

Despite the uptick in quality, though, I do think one more season is all the show needs. Gina Rodriguez deserves to conquer the world sometime before Iran or North Korea nukes us all to death, and she can't do that with this show's annual filming demands.

OP
OP
Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
That was good, but not as good as last episode. Not much going on in this episode aside from Abuela's citizenship test. (I had an inkling she'd pass anyway.)

Jane vs JR though, hilarious. The PDA made Rafael and Jane so uncomfortable.
Who would hate Jane? She's awesome.

At least we got confirmation that it was Magda, I guess.