• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Show returns March 27.

And I'm sure production wasn't super happy about this, but the latest promo spoils a lot of what's happening with Michael. Amnesia.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
I thought this show was supposed to air earlier this year. :/
At least we now have the date.

OP
OP
Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of articles/youtube videos around the time the last season ended spoiled Michael too.
It must suck if you watched it late.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I appreciate what they were going for with the monologue but it sort of just felt like an excessive "LOOK AT GINA ACTING" last ditch attempt at another award. They've already put it online. It's a nice display of memorization - especially while she's directing - but her best stuff has always been like overwhelming happiness or crying. Like finding out about Michael dying. Now that was it.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Good episode but actually thought that it was a better show of acting for Justin Baldoni than Gina. Dude was putting in huge work having to subtly portray huge internal conflict. Character had to do so much with a lot less than Jane.

I think something's up with Michael. He's like too far gone. Like he might be playing as amnesiac because Rose has threatening Jane's family or something.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Good episode but actually thought that it was a better show of acting for Justin Baldoni than Gina. Dude was putting in huge work having to subtly portray huge internal conflict. Character had to do so much with a lot less than Jane.

I think something's up with Michael. He's like too far gone. Like he might be playing as amnesiac because Rose has threatening Jane's family or something.
Completely agreed on Justin's acting, not that Gina's monologue wasn't a standout performance. Rafael remains a saint, and the scene of him reading the eulogy at the funeral flashback?

I just hope there's no backpedaling on this.

OP
OP
Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
After a few seasons I'm tired of the love-triangle trope. I don't "feel" Jason, Rafael has grown so much, picking him over Jason is no brainer!

I'm more curious about Rose's team. I doubt the hotel's value is worth the trouble of her planning to steal it. It could be something much bigger, perhaps something that involves Jane?

The doctor confirmed his brain was damaged though.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You know, I realise the show relishes on doing dumb telenovela plot points and turning them on their head but I really could not help roll my eyes when Rafael said it was amnesia.

Anyway, great premiere. Really curious how the show is going to end now with Michael back in the picture.

OP
OP
Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Uhhh I can't stand Jason! Even if you're technically still married, you don't just grab Jane and kiss her!

The first 2 eps have been rather slow. I like that they are introducing new characters to the show to keep it fresh tho.
My guess is Rose will actually die by the end of the show? I cannot see how they'd still keep her locked up, because she can still pull her stunts in jail and more drama will ensue.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
The show is almost certainly doing with Jason what they've done with all the other male characters. Make them kind of garbage for half a season, realize they've fucked up and heavily redeem themselves. See: Michael, Rafael, Rogelio, Rafael again. Of course Jason can just get his memory back and that would fix everything but I still think there's going to be some kind of big twist behind it all. It's a telanovela after all.

Other than that it's mostly been board clearing and dealing with fallout. We'll get to the endgame. It's an 18-19 episode season. They just did the table read for the finale. Long time to go.

I do like that Jason is drawn to the most 'unlikeable' (relative to the others) characters in the show. Petra, Jorge, River.

OP
OP
Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
The show is almost certainly doing with Jason what they've done with all the other male characters. Make them kind of garbage for half a season, realize they've fucked up and heavily redeem themselves. See: Michael, Rafael, Rogelio, Rafael again. Of course Jason can just get his memory back and that would fix everything but I still think there's going to be some kind of big twist behind it all. It's a telanovela after all.
Either Jason might regain memories at the utmost inconvenient moment, or he will fake remembering his past life. The latter would be entertaining.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
ahhhhhhhhhhh I can't wait for next week!

Other than that was worried about the show doing the gender pay equality thing, it looked liked a repeat of last season's depression thing where the show just treats Rogelio like garbage to make a social point, but they actually made a nice swerve with the PoC thing. Clumsy but it worked in the end.

AV Club: A

e: I'm rewatching S1 and the line in the most recent episode where he says "just stand up it's like 4 feet of water" is the same as when Jane falls in the pool with Raf really early on! subtle callbacks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Finally got around to watch it! I teared up twice watching this, at Petra's scene and at the end with Jason!
More Petra next episode would be nice.

Other than that was worried about the show doing the gender pay equality thing, it looked liked a repeat of last season's depression thing where the show just treats Rogelio like garbage to make a social point, but they actually made a nice swerve with the PoC thing. Clumsy but it worked in the end.
This part was a little weird, yes. Rogelio has a lot of back and forth it's hard to take him seriously most of the time.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Eh... I think I'm out. I already felt like this season was unneeded, but once a show starts becoming needlessly cruel towards characters, I tune out. The show feels mean spirited at this point.

It's too bad. :/ I liked this show but I just don't feel much enjoyment from either the highs or the lows anymore. I just feel either: bad for everyone, or annoyed.

:(

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I don't understand how this show is cruel to characters at all, it loves all of them. They loved Michael so much they couldn't keep him dead. Felt this season has started way stronger than the last.

If you're talking about drama... it's a telenovela

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
It's started to veer into drama that they're rehashing to kick the characters.

I dunno. All I know is I don't get enjoyment from it anymore. :( That makes me sad.

OP
OP
Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
I still find the show comforting to watch in a way, since we already know all the characters and their quirks by now. I will see it to the end.

Although I can't believe they're doing the love triangle thing again... deep sigh.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This show does a great job in making you root for both Michael and Rafael, really makes you feel for Jane being caught in this triangle again

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Okay yeah this episode was really a kick Jane while she's down episode, that was brutal.

I don't think Michael is winning this triangle. They're not doing any character work with him at all. Pretty sure they only get to shoot with him one for One Day at a Time because Brett Dier is in Schooled too, the only scenes he's had have been quick pop ins at Jane's house. and he wasn't in any of the BTS shots for the finale, although he did tweet about it

e: oh and the old Mateo joke was hilarious

e2: and there's so many finale photos out there now

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed Petra's storyline once again. She's become very emotionally mature.
I thought she was gonna bolt but she actually said something like "I will have to work harder."

Darci/Esteban's relationship is very healthy too. It's a nice contrast to forced drama between Jane/Rafael.

e2: and there's so many finale photos out there now
: o
I expect it to be an open end where they are happy but there's still more to work on.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I've been liking this season outside of the new love triangle but it's super obvious where they're going with Michael at this point and I'm honestly regretting they brought him back at all

I have no problem with Rafael/Jane in a post-Michael word but it feels like they're undoing seasons worth of work

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
yeah they went the terrible direction with Michael. What a stupid fucking plot line. The Charlie thing was super easy to see coming, played by Brett Dier's fiance no less.

"Hey what if we brought back Michael but changed him radically, would Jane still be in love with him?"

Really annoys me. At best it just wasted time before Jane and Rafael get back together and at worst it ruins the legacy of the past relationship. Not a fan at all.

I agree with AV Club:
Jane The Virgin has always excelled at finding the emotional truth behind big soap opera twists, but Michael's amnesia storyline might finally be a bridge too far for the series.

Deleted member 56595

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 8, 2019
Should not have brought Michael back at all. Ruined the past relationship Jane and Michael had all for the writer's intent of Rafael being her "true" choice, whatever the fuck that means.

Worst part is the on screen chemistry between Gina and Brett absolutely shits on that of Gina and Justin. And they were trying to make it seem like there was no chemistry between those two this episode.

Truly hate the direction they went, Michael's and Jane's story line would have been better without bringing him back.

Ionitron

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Should not have brought Michael back at all. Ruined the past relationship Jane and Michael had all for the writer's intent of Rafael being her "true" choice, whatever the fuck that means.

Worst part is the on screen chemistry between Gina and Brett absolutely shits on that of Gina and Justin. And they were trying to make it seem like there was no chemistry between those two this episode.

Truly hate the direction they went, Michael's and Jane's story line would have been better without bringing him back.

100% agreed. I've been looking forward to this season so much and they just fucked it up.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Looking online it seems the backlash to this has been immense. It's one of the rare things the shippers all agree on. Michael fans felt it was cruel and Rafael fans thought it was a pathetic win.

After years of consistently good calls - killing Michael was brutal but dealing with the aftermath was very well done - it's weird for them to have made such a huge misstep. There could be a huge swerve, but I don't think so.

Brett Dier talked about his acting choices, making the character feel very different.

Interview with Jennie Urman on the episode, whether it's Michael's last appearance.

Also don't forget the biggest crime: no Brogelio scenes at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Such a redundant, pointless plot line! I agree with everyone's points.

Jane basically cheated on Rafael with Michael and she is back to him only when she's bored of Michael's farm life.

If they have brought him back to continue Rose's investigation, I'd have been fine with it. They kept trying to drive the point of "true love" for so many episodes in the row. Michael is almost sent home, then stay x 3-4 times. :<

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
You know what, I've never even really taken a firm side with the love triangle, but I still absolutely hated how they handled the end of this Michael return storyline. Ugh.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Decent episode yesterday. Glad to see Alba and Jorge finally commit to one another. It seems like I'm the only one alright with the decision to choose Rafael over Michael. It helps that I never really chose sides in it. I'm #teamJane always.

Still, Brojelio was indeed robbed of some closure.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Nice uneventful episode other than the inevitable Alba/Jorge stuff, still hard to get past the taste of the awful stuff last week.

Justin Hartley returning to The CW was a nice touch.

It seems like I'm the only one alright with the decision to choose Rafael over Michael. It helps that I never really chose sides in it. I'm #teamJane always.
People weren't really pissed about her choosing Rafael over Michael, it's that they had to bring back Michael and run his character in the ground so she would choose Raf. It was completely unnecessary, and the show had a nice situation where both relationships had worked out. There's no lesson or emotional truth behind the heightened story, it's just "let's ruin Michael's memory".

That said #TeamJane is a problematic place to be now that she's a stalker!

OP
OP
Fairy Godmother

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, that wasn't a bad episode. I really like it when they show Jane actually write. Poor thing hasn't been a consistently successful writer yet.
I kinda see where they're trying to go with it, something like: Couples will have fallout but if it's true love then it will work out yada yada.

In a way, Jane got into this mess was because her mother and grandmother were too supportive of her and Michael.