• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
I think she meant it in a very literal way (Thetes rarely mixed gender tennis at the pro level), but anyone looking at that statement written would not say it out loud. It sounds awful, even if it's Intention was joking.
That's how I took it as well. Very awkward attempt at making a joke/highlighting the male dominated field of directing, especially at the prestige film end of things.

I don't think it really needs a deep analysis of her what she said

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
Campion was born in Wellington, New Zealand, the second daughter of Edith Campion (née Beverley Georgette Hannah), an actress, writer, and heiress; and Richard M. Campion, a teacher, and theatre and opera director.[SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][5][/SUP][SUP][6][/SUP] Her maternal great-grandfather was Robert Hannah, a well-known shoe manufacturer for whom Antrim House was built. Her father came from a family that belonged to the fundamentalist Christian Exclusive Brethren sect.[SUP][7][/SUP]Along with her sister, Anna, a year and a half her senior, and brother, Michael, seven years her junior, Campion grew up in the world of New Zealand theatre.[SUP][5][/SUP] Their parents founded the New Zealand Players.[SUP][8][/SUP] Campion initially rejected the idea of a career in the dramatic arts and graduated instead with a Bachelor of Arts in Anthropology from Victoria University of Wellington in 1975.[SUP][5][/SUP]

In 1976, she enrolled in the Chelsea Art School in London and traveled throughout Europe. She earned a graduate diploma in visual arts (painting) from the Sydney College of the Arts at the University of Sydney in 1981. Campion's later film work was shaped in part by her art school education; she has, even in her mature career, cited painter Frida Kahlo and sculptor Joseph Beuys as influences.[SUP][5][/SUP]
Incredibly privileged background filled with opportunities.

And, to put it bluntly, she's old. William sisters are not her peers in any respect, so you never want to invite any comparison.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldnt have been better to say "Like the williams sisters, I had to fight hard to strive in a male dominated industry"? Like she could still get the womparison of her being a white rich woman versus the 2 williams sisters who had to start from the bottom, but still would have being much less scrutinized

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just gonna point out that whatever she was trying to say doesn't really matter because of what she actually did end up saying. Her comment totally eclipsed and obfuscated her original point.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Rich white daughter of an heiress and from a theatre family, who never struggled a day in her life and had every door to success opened due to sheer nepotism really had the gall to say appalling shit like this to a couple of black women who came from the bottom.

Some white people really start smelling their own piss and believe the opportunity for success wasn't simply laid at their feet for them to grasp. Not everyone is so lucky but she sure was. Her parents literally handed her the career.

Good game.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Rich white daughter of an heiress and from a theatre family, who never struggled a day in her life and had every door to success opened due to sheer nepotism really had the gall to say appalling shit like this to a couple of black women who came from the bottom.

Some white people really start smelling their own piss and believe the opportunity for success wasn't simply laid at their feet for them to grasp. Not everyone is so lucky but she sure was. Her parents literally handed her the career.

Good game.

No one has it harder than rich white women in America. My heart weeps.

Yep.

Complete clown shoes to try and boost the "struggle" she goes though.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Wouldnt have been better to say "Like the williams sisters, I had to fight hard to strive in a male dominated industry"? Like she could still get the womparison of her being a white rich woman versus the 2 williams sisters who had to start from the bottom, but still would have being much less scrutinized

I think the argument she is trying to make is that the Williams sisters don't have to compete against men in Tennis, at least not directly. Women's Tennis isn't necessarily "male dominated". Again, it's a bad way to try to make a point about the systemic sexism in Hollywood.

I think, and this is the last I'll say on it, that what makes this point all the worse (on top of seemingly attacking two of the most prolific black athletes in the world), in that making movies shouldn't be a "competition". Tennis is. Sports are about winning. Film making should be more about artistic expression, which is why, like I say, she should have kept her analogies to Hollywood, as Sports and Film Making are not very equivilant endeavors in my mind.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Campion is brilliant but her comment not so much. Hopefully she course corrects during her Oscar speech.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No one has it harder than rich white women in America. My heart weeps.
She's from New Zealand and lives in Australia, though?

I watched the whole show last night, to those wondering why she mentioned Venus and Serena they had come up a lot because King Richard had won a couple awards prior. So they were fairly involved in the show along with Will Smith and other members of that film's team. Also absolutely not making excuses for what she said, but she did seem a bit drunk during that speech. It was clumsy and rambly throughout. Sometimes alcohol has the unintended side-effect of revealing someone's true colors, I guess.

Reszo

Oct 31, 2017
Screenshot-20220314-103709.png

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I think she's just trying to make a point that female directors always have the strive to compete to against men in a typically male dominated field. She just went about it in a clumsy way which highlights her own class and racial privilege.

Hopefully doesn't hamper TPODs Oscar chances because most of the alternatives are far worse films.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
she realized that she was getting too powerful after dunking on Sam Elliot

we stan a balance patch queen

but seriously, wtf was she thinking erasing a lot of good will she had like that

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit that comment lmao. What a bonehead line.

Walk that shit back asap

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Straight-up clown shoes. Being black and just catching stray comments.

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
Black people just existing irritates these kind of people it seems. Like maybe pick anyone else to make your point but of course she wouldn't

Dec 22, 2017
She's basically saying if they had to compete against men, like she does, they wouldn't have won so much. Jesus Christ what a terrible, insecure, boneheaded statement. Even without the racial implications she is playing into the stereotype of successful women tearing down other successful women.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really odd she went out of her way to denigrate tennis legends, instead of maybe looking at actor vs actress categories in her own craft.

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
It seems that some alcohol made Campion show her true colors.

Also this photo...

Last edited:

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Why did she have to bring the Williams sisters into this? Unforced error indeed. They absolutely had to deal with the old white men running the tournaments.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I've watched the speech numerous times, and I'm trying to be as generous as possible to figure out what she was trying to say, but failed. I don't know if she was going for some weird joke, or sports analogy, or what. Either way, she put her foot in her mouth and said something stupid. She can recognize and apologize, and that will probably be fine. I'm not going to pretend this is some heinous, cancel-worthy act, especially coming from someone like her. I think she just done fucked up, which is a shame

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Except the Williams sisters have been met with men at every turn. Imagine every endorsement meeting, every tournament organization, and the majority of the press.

Truly thoughtless words

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
When you make a joke and everyone laughs and you think it's okay to use the inner monologue for another joke and people stop laughing.

Fucking dumb Jane.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017

Good game.
This is really it.

Idk how these people can have so much money and can't hirer writers & managers for these kind of things. it was a pointless and avoidable comment.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I soooorta think I get what she was trying to say (Her competing for jobs/awards against male directors vs not *directly* competing in tennis matches) but it was an exceptionally dumb and short sighted thing to say. The Williams' may not compete against men on the tennis court in matches but they've had to compete for literally everything else in their sport against men - attention, sponsorship, equality, etc.

Really comes off as clueless as to her own privilege and totally lacking in empathy.