• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, everyone I know here in the UK lets their cats out. They spend so long outside, it's very normal.

https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-ad...-ownership-in-america-differs-to-the-uk.html#
Yup.

I would even go as far as to say most people here would consider is irresponsible to try and force a cat to be an indoor cat.

And the RSPCA seem perfectly happy with allowing both indoor and outdoor cats: https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/pets/cats/environment/indoors

Saying that denies them a "somewhat normal life" is factually wrong.

I can play this game too

Should I keep my cat indoors?

Cats with outdoor access benefit from more opportunities to exhibit natural behaviours like climbing, exploring, roaming their territory and communicating with other cats in the area.

Keeping your cat as a house cat will help keep them away from busy roads, but some indoor environments can become predictable and boring, leading to stress, inactivity and obesity.

It can be particularly hard for cats to cope with living indoors if they have lots of energy, love to explore and have previously been allowed time outdoors.

However for some cats, for example those with a disability or medical problem, living indoors could be a better option, and they may feel more comfortable.

Bear in mind that indoor cats require lots more of your time and effort to be happy and healthy.

This is RSPCA advice.

It's really not as simple as "keep cats indoors or you are irresponsible" like Americans seem to think.

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
EVs should have the sound of horses walking on cobbles.

Anyways it looks like this thread is about to descend into a "US Vs Euro cat ownership fight".

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
I think indoor or outdoor is fine, but definitively one way or the other seems a bit absurd

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
i'm confused.

is she a tesla owner who drove over her own cats while operating her tesla?

admitting to user error? what?

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Some weird fucking takes from The Humane Society and The ASPCA too, right?

I really don't give a damn. A cat should have the option to be outside.

www.cnn.com

The case against cats: Why Australia has declared war on feral felines

They're cute, they're fluffy, and they're public enemy number one in Australia.

It's a bunch of horseshit. That's Australia. Follow the money. From that very article:

While cats are a big problem, the government had focused heavily on them at the cost of other, more politically sensitive issues like habitat loss caused by urban expansion, logging and mining.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
TIL that there are people who think letting cats go outside is morally wrong. I guess most cat owners in the world are irresponsible.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think indoor or outdoor is fine, but definitively one way or the other seems a bit absurd

I don't think anyone here is saying the cat must live outside 100% of the time - simply that it should be able to do what it wants too. There are very few animals that should spend most of their lives contained.

It's definitely a cultural thing, and America is definitely in the minority on keeping cats prisoner. Maybe there's some very specific wildlife they're messing up over there, or maybe there's not. But in most of the world cats are typically free to come and go as they please.

wow... you really should get off your high horse

I mean he asked a question and people start changing arguements. He's not on a high horse.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't give a damn. A cat should have the option to be outside.

It's a bunch of horseshit. That's Australia. Follow the money. From that very article:
You don't have to care, but the impact on native species and the ecological damage caused by outdoor and feral cats worldwide is neither controversial nor a secret.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
So we are in agreement.
I do not agree that cats shouldn't be allowed outside, no. It's such a weird mentality.

I'm not a cat owner, nor will I ever be thanks to my allergies, but cats shouldn't just be locked inside IMO (though I guess it depends on the cat, I've also seen friends with cats who prefer the inside environment).

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
cats are not even good pets
omgcat.gif

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think anyone here is saying the cat must live outside 100% of the time - simply that it should be able to do what it wants too. There are very few animals that should spend most of their lives contained.

It's definitely a cultural thing, and America is definitely in the minority on keeping cats prisoner. Maybe there's some very specific wildlife they're messing up over there, or maybe there's not. But in most of the world cats are typically free to come and go as they please.

I mean he asked a question and people start changing arguements. He's not on a high horse.

Sorry, yes, I meant indoors 100% or outdoors/indoors mix

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Thank god we have America to show us the way yet again.
Thank god we have America to show us the way yet again.
Do you deny science? Because this isn't a "hunch" or a "feeling".

www.usatoday.com

Scientists looked into the mysterious lives of outdoor cats. They learned kitties don't go far, but they kill a lot of wildlife.

Researchers tracked the movements of nearly 1,000 outdoor cats and found that while they don't venture far, they can do a lot of ecological damage.
www.scientificamerican.com

New Data on Killer House Cats

Wild cats kill more animals than domestic ones do. But pet cats kill many more of them in a small area than similarly sized wild predators.
Scientists are literally telling people to keep their cats indoors and somehow this is another issue where people are saying "Nah-I FEEL it should be different so I don't care."

That's a weird mentality.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Look, when you let your cat out you have to accept it will probably wont come back alive. They are independent as fuck and will get into dumb shit all the time. Double that if you live near traffic. Tesla just increased that chance. Dont want that risk, keep it inside.

I left my cats out. Some lived for 10 years, other were roadkill after a month. Another just came back after 3 years. The one inside my home has lived for 9 now.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Look, when you let your cat out you have to accept it will probably wont come back alive. They are independent as fuck and will get into dumb shit all the time. Double that if you live near traffic. Tesla just increased that chance. Dont want that risk, keep it inside.

I left my cats out. Some lived for 10 years, other were roadkill after a month. Another just came back after 3 years. The one inside my home has lived for 9 now.
Wow!

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017

Wow 3 years is a long time, had you moved house just prior to it running away?

Last edited:

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, been living on the same spot for more than 15 years. I suspect it got adopted or abducted by another family and they moved out. She suddenly returned and got the daily food and pets i always gave her.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
While electric cars certainly are more quiet than fossil fueled ones, they aren't completely silent. Still there is a debate to be had there. Obviously not like this.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
No?

Everyone over here lets their cats out. If anything, I am more surprised people in prison their cats inside.

As far as I can tell it's an American thing and do with their ridiculous roads. In no other country is this a common thing. It kinda makes sense though, a lot of Americans live in Metropolitan areas surrounded by busy roads etc. I live in a place where my cat couldn't really cross a road if he wanted to so it's a non factor.

cats are not even good pets

I grew up always having dogs and was always the type of person who thought this even well into adulthood but it's utter bullshit. I got my first cat coming up to 2 years ago (at 28 years old) and he's the most affectionate, cuddly, playful and loving pet I've ever had.

Last edited:

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why people choose cats instead of dogs I will never understand. Humans are Earth's strangest animals.
Dogs are more work and more rambunctious. If you have a cat he's probably a relatively chill little dude and doesn't demand a great deal of your attention day to day.

Oct 27, 2017
As far as I can tell it's an American thing and do with their ridiculous roads. In no other country is this a common thing. It kinda makes sense though, a lot of Americans live in Metropolitan areas surrounded by busy roads etc. I live in a place where my cat couldn't really cross a road if he wanted to so it's a non factor.
When you put it this way it does make sense.

It came as a surprise to me because I didn't know people actually force their cats inside. Like I have seen people who keep them inside due to living in a building but people living on street level houses let them go out when they want.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Lol what has this thread become. Thread title should be changed to 'Indoors or outdoors, the great cat debate'