• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
Sad day. He had a big influence on me and he made a difference to the world, I think or at least, I hope. We need more people like him. RIP.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
RIP. May his Foundation continue to expose nonsense as nonsense, even after he's gone. ; ;

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Randi was one of those people that as a young man was absolutely instrumental in understanding the difference between skepticism as a weapon of contrarian nihilism and something that can and should be focused and applied with intent to improve things. I'll paraphrase what he almost certainly said more elegantly at some point but I recall him saying that he tried to stay as close to reality as possible and considered anything that causes you to retreat from reality as a danger. It is a very simple litmus test but that phrase "retreat from reality" is something I consider very foundational for how I view and root things out around me to the best of my ability, and has been very important in let's say the last 4 years of epistemological crisis.

The world lost a good one today.
Great post.

RIP James Randi, no one won that $1m.

droog

Oct 26, 2017
RIP James. Had the chance to meet him a couple of times at conventions, truly delightful man.

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019
Tf!
Literally was watching a video of him exposing Psychics last night which in itself is freaky

RIP a skeptic before skepticism was ever accepted

Hutty211

Oct 29, 2017
Definitely the person I most owe my rational mind too, and one of only a select few I would consider a hero, RIP Randi, I'll carry on your spirit...

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I was worried this was coming when he suddenly disappeared from the public a few years ago. Truly a hero. RIP. 😢
"Here's how I conclude that a trick is indeed just a trick" Oh come on man, lets just have a little fun!
There's a difference between entertaining people and taking advantage of people. People that peddle true supernatural shit are terrible. They prey on people's emotions while laughing at them behind their backs and/or damage the ability of people to think critically. Healthy skepticism is woefully undervalued and even demonized and it's extremely hard to topple charlatans. Uri Geller is still famous despite getting utterly destroyed by Randi on the Tonight Show, Petter Popoff is richer than ever, and homeopathy is still going strong.

Wanace

Oct 29, 2017
Death of a legend. RIP.

Guy really was the first step for me to get out of the kinds of mystical modes of thinking I had when I was younger.

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
Huge loss. Randi debunked real monsters, the frauds who took advantage of people when they were at their worst. I hope someone continues his work of dunking on hucksters and scam artists.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, heartbroken to hear this. He did a lot of good work, especially in regards to exposing frauds and crooks that sought to exploit people through bullshit like talking to the dead and psychic abilities. He also just had a way about himself that brought humor to the work he did.

RIP.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
RIP.

One such modern day Randi would be Captain Disillusion. He has many videos debunking video editing trickery online.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
This hurts. Huge inspiration to me and he was truly a legend. Thanks for everything Randi.

Ryoichi

Sep 24, 2020
Italy
Just woke up to this news, it's not gonna be a good day.

I will miss him a lot, i admired the guy and watched everything about him.