• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

January 3rd on Prime.

I didn't know how bad I wanted this until watching this. Now I'm pretty excited. Looks like a lot of fun.

Really, James May is just a delight and I'll watch him go on any kind of adventure, so it works.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
A great birthday gift for me. James May is a delight.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
James May is fantastic, even when I was young there was something inherently enjoyable and warm about his Solo shows/documentaries.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I love Captain Slow. I'll watch this for sure.

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
I do love to watch some of his solo stuff, sounds great.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I love May. The best part about his work is his reverence for what is around him, rather than being the "get a load of this weird shit" guy.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
The former is probably on 4oD.

Edit: sorry I'm drunk and just realised it was on BBC 2 originally. I'm going off a very faint memory of the Lego house.
I'm an American so not sure if it's different for other folks but there's some episodes of his show The Reassembler on YouTube where he puts back together disassembled bits of technology. Rotary phones, that sort of thing.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
All the Grand Tour guys have other projects in the works with Amazon. Looks promising.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
James May's alright in my book. The other two, not so much. I do like his solo projects, especially the toy making ones he did a few years ago.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
May's solo ventures are always delightful, so I'm very excited for this.

Always seems a properly decent chap.

OP
OP
Laserbeam

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I don't know if there's any real thread for this or anything, but this is out now!

I just watched the first episode and and it was pretty great! James really is just such a delight. Hokkaido looks like my kind of place.

Looking forward to watching the rest.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Oh cock, I'm going to have to give Amazon money. I like James May and I'm travelling to Japan this year.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Watched three episodes tonight. Really cool show. The after credit bits are awesome. Shame about his translator in Tokyo tho :|

Priapus

Oct 27, 2017
Watching the first episode and I am very pleasantly surprized. Mays seems genuinely at home in this country, despite him being James May.

And I immediately recognized the Japanese swordsmith as he already was featured in Guy Martin's Japan series. It is very enjoyable as well. The Swordsmith was quite a bit more impressed by Martin though.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Watched all of it. It was okay. Felt like they kept James on a pretty tight schedule and script. They skipped Okinawa for some reason.

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
Finish it today, was an pretty fun watch. It did felt a bit rushed at some bits but was still pretty an entertaining series.

Favorite bit was when James couldn't keep his composure because of Robohon.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Only watched one episode so far but really enjoyed it.

I like how it subverts the usual tropes of the travel series - such as not pretending there's no film crew, showing things going wrong, even scenes not used.

And James is a very likeable bloke, I enjoy his other solo shows such as the ones on toys or the Reassembler.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I'm halfway through and enjoying it. It's not blowing my mind or anything but it's comfortable and enjoyable to watch.

Granted, I can watch James May make shitty meat paste sandwiches and enjoy it too, but still.

Oct 25, 2017
The first two episodes are solid, and as someone else mentioned it's nice how he subverts expectations. Positives aside, I think it does play up the class "wacky Japan" angle a bit too much, which feels dated nowadays. Still, nice photography and easy watching.