• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
"We need to stop him!" says man who could've stopped him years ago.
Sure but somehow Trump has yet again escalated things. Using the military on peaceful protestors is completely antithetical to the core of America's foundation. Trump's behavior is that of a dictator lately

Stop him how? How could have Mattis stopped him years ago?

If Trump has violated the Constitution, then the military should remove him from office.

No, i dont think the military has any constitutional method for them to remove him, and nothing illegal should happen. Mattis's words calling for civil society to unite against and ignore him i think mean vote him out in November, and until then, use every lawful method to stem his actions, like lawsuits, protests, and appealing to Congress.

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with people that are rightfully pissed at him for not being more outspoken while he worked for Trump but right now we need to get Trump out of office and this helps.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I really don't care for Mattis one way or another, but those insisting that he should have done more while employed might want to think through to the inevitable conclusion of that line of thought. You're basically asking for open mutiny against civilian leadership from the military at that point. That's not a genie that can be easily returned to its bottle.

The most resistance you're going to get out of active duty personnel is people dragging their feet or ignoring some of the most heinous orders. Which has happened, btw.

I agree with those who say that Milley's letter is a bigger deal. That is quite a pointed reminder to the rank and file that their duty is to the country [and, implicitly, not to the president]. When is the last time that anything like that happened?

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
YEah this ain't good:

(Sorry see embedded reply)

Weird, red would have been a fine colour for the Trump Army.

d_iakd5wwaaubam.jpg

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Good! Was it late? Yes, but I hope everyone cheers him on so that maybe others are encouraged to speak up.

Every little bit helps

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Let this stick in your brain, dear readers.

It is ALWAYS a FORMER REPUBLICAN that takes a stand.

ALWAYS. EVERY SINGLE TIME one of them stands up and admits it's all wrong, it's when they're no longer playing the game, no longer in the system, no longer to actually be held accountable for actually saying something.

George W Bush defending the protesters never, EVER would have happened if he were still a working man.

I hate seeing these empty ass statements every fucking time.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
If Trump has violated the Constitution, then the military should remove him from office.
Trump's going to gamble that no one in the military nor the Senate is comfortable going that far.

He'll keep firing folks from military leadership until he gets his loyal dogs in place and then dare the military rank-and-file to obey him or defect and be blacklisted from the military for life.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In May 2004 Mattis ordered the 3 a.m. bombing of what he alleged was a suspected enemy safe house near the Syrian border, but was in fact a wedding party and resulted in the deaths of 42 civilians, including 11 women and 14 children.

Mattis said it had taken him 30 seconds to decide whether to bomb the location.

Describing the wedding as implausible, he said, "How many people go to the middle of the desert to hold a wedding 80 miles (130 km) from the nearest civilization? These were more than two dozen military-age males. Let's not be naive."[47] The occurrence of a wedding was disputed by military officials, but the Associated Press obtained video footage showing a wedding party and a video the next day showed musical instruments and party decoration among the remains.[48]

When asked by the press about footage on Arabic television of a child's body being lowered into a grave, he replied: "I have not seen the pictures but bad things happen in wars. I don't have to apologise for the conduct of my men.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Let this stick in your brain, dear readers.

It is ALWAYS a FORMER REPUBLICAN that takes a stand.

ALWAYS. EVERY SINGLE TIME one of them stands up and admits it's all wrong, it's when they're no longer playing the game, no longer in the system, no longer to actually be held accountable for actually saying something.

George W Bush defending the protesters never, EVER would have happened if he were still a working man.

I hate seeing these empty ass statements every fucking time.
You must have missed a couple statements from current generals.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
The Military leaders have devoted a portion of their lives to the study and understanding of the U. S. Constitution. Trump massively overstepped by offering the US military as a force to deny Constitutional freedoms.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
then he needs to speak truth to power.

put up or shut up.

no more of this behind closed doors shit.
Yeah, but he should wait for the opportune moment. Attention spans are short, and there's a lot of shit going on right now. This was something timely that could perhaps prevent violence in the short term, so speaking up about appropriate use of military force now makes sense. But telling the full story should probably wait until closer to the election to help get Trump out of office.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dan Carlin is getting even tired enough to call out Trump supporters over this.

rSy2NvF.png

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
Trump changed Mattis' name to Mad Dog? Did Trump know Mattis dating to the Afghanistan days? Wtf.
Of course not. Article from 2004: https://webcache.googleusercontent....eneral16-story.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Trump has made this lie before, so at this point he 100% believes it.
www.militarytimes.com

Trump claims he coined the nickname ‘Mad Dog’ Mattis

Mattis — who preferred the call sign "Chaos" — has been fighting the "Mad Dog" moniker for at least 15 years.

Color_Revolt

Oct 28, 2017
I applaud Mattis for saying this. And, diverging from the sentiment from some folks in this thread, I actually have an abundance of respect for him as a rational thinker. He resigned from his position for reasons that I happen to agree with. If you didn't read his resignation letter, it's worth a read. He told Trump in the most professional way possible that he was a stupid fuck for leaving our allies, the Kurds, to be left for the slaughter.

Despite what your opinion is about Mattis, this is huge news. Mattis is a very influential military figure. His speaking out about this could potentially change a lot of minds.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course not. Article from 2004: https://webcache.googleusercontent....eneral16-story.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Trump has made this lie before, so at this point he 100% believes it.
www.militarytimes.com

Trump claims he coined the nickname ‘Mad Dog’ Mattis

Mattis — who preferred the call sign "Chaos" — has been fighting the "Mad Dog" moniker for at least 15 years.

Yeah I remember hearing them refer to Mattis as "Mad Dog" in Generation Kill, and that show came out in 2008 (book in 2004).

Psyborg

Aug 6, 2018
Seeing examples of the spin on this already on social media. Apparently Mattis is just mad at his boss for being fired.

So.. General. "MAD DOG". Mattis...is a whiny crybaby thats just holding a 2 year grudge.

I wish they would say all this Trump spin out loud once in a while and realize how stupid it sounds.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
Mattis holds ton of regard with the military, officers and rank and file. His silence afterwards was a virtue by everyone not hating Trump already. That he speaks now will hold greater weight for the election than during his resignation.
That's true.
Maybe he can keep making noise to inspire others to finally speak out, which will bait The Orange Stain to say something more outrageous & distasteful which may change even more minds.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The military fucking loves Mattis. Politically, this is a big deal and will have a measurable effect in November.

Reading some of these highly upvoted comments on the military subreddit are encouraging.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Count me as not that shocked that the Trump death cult seems to be taking Mattis' statement in stride, for the most part. I've been peeking at Fox News here and there since this broke. The criticism of his statement is a much bigger story there than the statement itself. Nothing will turn their heads from Dear Leader at this point.

That said, the statements by Lengyel and Milley posted here seem like a big fucking deal. Both reminding those in uniform of their oath to uphold the constitution. I'm getting chills thinking about what sorts of conversations these people are having right now that they are putting out statements like that.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Count me as not that shocked that the Trump death cult seems to be taking Mattis' statement in stride, for the most part. I've been peeking at Fox News here and there since this broke. The criticism of his statement is a much bigger story there than the statement itself. Nothing will turn their heads from Dear Leader at this point.

That said, the statements by Lengyel and Milley posted here seem like a big fucking deal. Both reminding those in uniform of their oath to uphold the constitution. I'm getting chills thinking about what sorts of conversations these people are having right now that they are putting out statements like that.

Trump is recommending the military go in and start shooting U.S. citizens. Seems almost 100% certain this is what they are reacting to.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Seeing examples of the spin on this already on social media. Apparently Mattis is just mad at his boss for being fired.

So.. General. "MAD DOG". Mattis...is a whiny crybaby thats just holding a 2 year grudge.

I wish they would say all this Trump spin out loud once in a while and realize how stupid it sounds.

Definitely seeing some of the mental gymnastics that Trumpers are having with this.