• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
"After cashing my final paycheque (and using it towards investment in companies involved in the border concentration camps) and hearing the wolves coming for me as well, I felt it was time to stand up and be brave," he went on to say.

Fuck Mattis, he worked for Trump until he was fired by Trump.

I thought that was Kelly.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Happy to watch them put the boot in to each other, it keeps them busy and hopefully softens them up for the election.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Mattis holds ton of regard with the military, officers and rank and file. His silence afterwards was a virtue by everyone not hating Trump already. That he speaks now will hold greater weight for the election than during his resignation.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This seems more like him sending a signal to active military now being used since they probably respect him a lot.

Oct 26, 2017
Mattis has some ride or die people throughout the country so while I wish he would have done more up to this point this helps.

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Trump voters: "Actually, Mattis doesn't know what he's talking about! What experience does he have?!?!?"

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
Words like his don't really mean shit to people like us, but if more respected and decorated former military leaders start speaking out it will have an effect of military-focused Republicans. I'm related to a few and their tone on Trump has changed dramatically sense the start of the pandemic, and I'm sure the past week hasn't helped. One of my cousins who is currently serving even just changed his party affiliation to Independent which I NEVER thought would happen.

Oct 26, 2017
at this point.

THe more people speaking out the better.

they may be ass holes for not doing it sooner.

but the more people go against orange niro, to get him out, the better

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Relieved he at least isn't coming down on the "everyone is looters" narrative.

This is hella late and not much besides from that though

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
James Mattis can fuck off.

Quitting your job in protest did fuck all when you could have stayed and kept trying to change shit from the inside.

There's no changing anything from the inside with Trump. His insanity overrides all logic proposed by compotent people.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These are Trump co-conspirators trying to distance themselves from what's going down. Not gonna work.

I have faith that tribunals and trials are coming for a lot of people.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's also good to do it now in the run up to the election when people start to focus on their vote.

May 30, 2018
Disgruntled former employee shit talks former boss, that's all

Trump will denounce him back and the MAGAs will pretend they never liked him. Progressives will continue to shit on him.

Probably just the moderates will embrace him, like Mueller

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's no changing anything from the inside with Trump. His insanity overrides all logic proposed by compotent people.

That's right, we should just quit our jobs and let someone less competent and more egotistical take over. Rather than holding on to the leash trying to prevent the rabid dog from gaining ground, lets just let go of it because our hand is tired and we hope that the rabid dog comes around.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
For Trump, Democrat seems to mean one thing: Not Me.

Which means the entire human race is Democrat. George Bush? Democrat. Mitch McConnell? Democrat.

They're all secretly Democrats who haven't revealed themselves yet. Must be a scary dude to work for.

Well it's more or less a means of hand waiving away any sort of valid criticism he may receive from people who were otherwise championed as conservative icons like McCain. It's the same reason why conservatives love using the term "Republican in Name Only" or "RINO" in order to shut down the process of having to think critically.

He's a dissenter, always been a dissenter, and no one should listen to what he has to say because he's a leftist.

Oct 31, 2017
This is a big deal, yes, but I do think it is too little, too late. They are a cult, it is what fascism is. And all that matters is the cult and the cult integrity. Those who are cast from the cult ideology, like Mattis, hold virtually little sway to those who remain within the cult. The hope is, his rebuke will reach people who can still be reached, but I'm afraid that at this point, it doesn't matter much. Who exactly is still on board with Donald and the GOP? The true believers, and they are ride or die I'm thinking.

Better late than never I guess, but still.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
This is a bigger deal than some are making it out to be.

YES. The entire right wing media is doing Law and Order, the protestors are actually rioters, and the military may be deployed (and trump wants to deploy them) into U.S soil, and Mattis who is respected near universally among the military basically calls Trump a traitor to the Constitution.

If you dont think this will impact the future of a order by Trump to move American soldiers into our cities, your just plain wrong.

hsojlightfoot

Apr 6, 2020
Now you say something? Where were you last year? You said NOTHING and stayed silent. You get no praise from me.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
To those saying this is a big deal: what exactly do you expect to come from this?

(This is a serious question, it's not meant to be antagonistic or rhetorical)

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the inevitable explosive reaction tweet from Trump turns away even more military people and suburban voters. It's gonna be ugly I think.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
James Mattis can fuck off.

Quitting your job in protest did fuck all when you could have stayed and kept trying to change shit from the inside.

What? Many here on Resetera complain of people who don't quit in protest and delude themselves into thinking they can change Trump's mind.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Just like every general who disagreed with Trump, Republicans will now say he's actually a traitor and weak. And then Trump will go back to pretending he cares about the military and most of them will vote for him in November..

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Wish he said something sooner, but still nice to see nonetheless.
I will have to do the googling, but I was pretty sure Mattis was the reason why Trump didn't do a list of stupid shit.

Regardless, quitting does fuck all. It's like when people are quitting facebook to protest. You quit. Any influence you had is now gone. You no longer have any power to change what you hate.
Gonna have to be what it is then because my black ass is sick of seeing it and arguing with jokers on fb. Goddamn CEO is a shitheel, why would I want to support his platform?

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Mature leadership or no, I think this still would have happened.
Would mature leadership have shut down the school to prison pipeline and abolished private prisons? Would it have put a stop to theories with severe racial bias like Broken Windows Policing? Would it have taken seriously the issue of police response to mental health crisis? I doubt it. I think these protests were inevitable regardless of who would have been leading the US.

May 26, 2018
Just like every general who disagreed with Trump, Republicans will now say he's actually a traitor and weak. And then Trump will go back to pretending he cares about the military and most of them will vote for him in November..

Trump doesn't even have to pretend. He can talk shit all day long about various aspects and his support will not noticeably change.

Oct 26, 2017
To those saying this is a big deal: what exactly do you expect to come from this?

(This is a serious question, it's not meant to be antagonistic or rhetorical)
It adds to the list of respected figures among the right denouncing Trump with strong rhetoric. A former US General and Sec of Defense under Trump basically compared him to the Nazis, that's a big fucking deal.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
That's right, we should just quit our jobs and let someone less competent and more egotistical take over. Rather than holding on to the leash trying to prevent the rabid dog from gaining ground, lets just let go of it because our hand is tired and we hope that the rabid dog comes around.

That's the unfortunate truth as well. I had the impression from Mattis's resignation that he was no longer able to hold that lease anyway and Trump was about to cut him off anyway.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I'm satisfied, this is a pretty damning condemnation. And to the detractors:

a.) if you denounce/chastise everyone who ever worked with Trump and then come out against him, you aren't going to convince many people to come out against Trump!

b.) this is a *good* thing. If Mattis convinced even one individual to not vote for Trump, or better yet vote for Biden, then this is all worth it.

I'm not saying you have to sing his praises. But generally acknowledge that this is something that takes effort for Mattis to do, and helps defeat Trump in November.
Some people will never be satisfied.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna have to be what it is then because my black ass is sick of seeing it and arguing with jokers on fb. Goddamn CEO is a shitheel, why would I want to support his platform?

To clarify, I mean quitting facebook as an employee, not a user of the platform. Quitting the platform is a completely valid form of protest that could (in mass) have tangible change.

Quitting facebook the job if you are in a position to influence change is not the way to go, IMO.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I hope if Trump orders military to attack protesters that Mattis' criticism influences decisions made by officers in the armed forces.

Deleted member 6215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of your opinions of Mattis, this is still good. We've got to take the wins as they come and not get fixated on things we can't change in past. Hope to see more and more examples of this.