• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
James has always had a lot of demons. It's never been a secret he struggled with alcohol. Well at the recent show in Brazil he had a tough moment where he felt like he just couldn't handle it anymore. Felt too old and beaten. He shared it with the crowd, and how the band had told him "we've got your back" and hugged him. At this point they rushed over to hug him again.

I feel for him, but at the same time I'm glad he's being so open. Too many artists hide their insecurities and suffer alone. I hope this helps people to realize it's ok to be vulnerable.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/watch...concert-receives-group-hug-from-his-bandmates

Oct 29, 2017
The more I learn about James through the years, the more I love him. It must have been real tough to be that open and vulnerable on stage, props.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Man that's tough. Guess he feels the weight of the world is on him. Pretty brave to open up. I hope he gets through this.

Oct 30, 2017
I can imagine Hetfield rehearsing backstage and feeling like--instead of chalking it up to maybe an off-night--his abilities are deteriorating. I mean, this guy is trying to sing and play riffs that he created 30 years ago. A 60 year-old man's hands just aren't going to cooperate the same and that can hit anyone, especially someone with esteem issues, really hard. Hetfield is seeing his age in real-time and it was probably a gut-punch for him. Glad to see his bandmates are there as friends and just not as business associates.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
No one is Superman. We gotta shed this model of the stoic and unfeeling man that is so pervasive. This type of thing destroys too many people.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
That's gotta be really tough. Metallica fans have a reputation sometimes of being unable to change, so it might weigh on James that he just can't sing or play with the same effortlessness he could during the Justice/Lightning era. He still goes out there and kicks ass though. The guy (and his band) are legends.

I follow a lot of artists that I've been massive fans of for years and they certainly don't have the same chops as they did in their prime, but they're still light years ahead of most everyone else. Some adapt to their changing voices and make it their own. It's bold and great to see.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
My favorite band of all-time, very formative. Love me some James Hetfield too.

They've all been pretty open about their struggles over the years. A lot of people find the Some Kind Of Monster documentary embarrassing, an opinion I've never understood. I always found it fascinating and poignant, particularly the unflinching look at Hetfield's alcoholism and all of the self-reflection going on by the band in general.

You rarely see guys in a genre so seemingly fueled at least on the surface by machismo open themselves up to potential ridicule by sharing their feelings and their inner conflicts.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
Ooh ooh, do Jason Newsted next.

I mean, good for him, but this band has left a lot of bitterness and frustration in its wake.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Ooh ooh, do Jason Newsted next.

I mean, good for him, but this band has left a lot of bitterness and frustration in its wake.

They've had bad moments and bad spans, to be sure. The hazing of Jason Newsted is way up there. It kneecapped an entire album so that's always going to be part of their legacy. I thought it was heinous when they mocked Kurt Cobain on stage after he killed himself, particularly Hetfield and Ulrich, the twin terrors.

But they've been open about how fucked up they've been. And Newsted did show up to the hall of fame ceremony.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I kept reading about this the other day and this is the first time I saw the video. Felt really bad for him and hope he's doing well. He's been on such a crazy journey over the years, and he's one of my biggest heroes.

I remember reading that he no longer shows up to the fan meet n greets because the pressure of being told he's a "god" to them is just too much. I dont blame him, the pressure to be on that level forever is probably a huge burden on him, on top of his other demons.

cJAYblazE

Dec 7, 2017
this is the guy i wanted to be when i was a kid...
is nice to see, someone like him be open like this about himself

Oct 27, 2017
Now if they can just people to stop calling him "Papa Het"

As far as I know, he embraces that. I think he even has it on one of his guitars.
12dec1208_pic10.jpg

brand.gif

Actually, he just had some branded guitar pics with "Papa Het" on it here

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Damn, that's tough. Love that he's so open about it though. Dude really grown on me throughout the years.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I really felt them being super focused and nervous as they started their gig here a couple of weeks ago. It was their first tour date and the first time getting out of the US after the pandemic, so they - and James specially - must have struggled a lot with these insecurities. They loosened up as the concert went on, but you can tell they were really concerned in playing right (maybe specially since the anniversary event had a lot of issues). One of the highlights of managing to get to the front row was watching that human aspect of them.

They played and sounded great though. I left absolutely impressed at how well they did this time. I love that they're way more open about this stuff. It helps them and it helps normalizing the struggles we go through.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I can imagine he's burned out.

Metallica used to do multi-year tours without much of a break.

I'm surprised Lars and Kirk are still going.

Jason was smart enough to bail before things got really bad years ago.

Hopefully they're taking care of themselves more now.

Sep 2, 2018
Jason has already forgiven them, so that should be enough for most people. They have evolved since then and are better men for it. Give James his props for being an open and honest "rock star"

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
This is pretty awesome. I've been a Metallica fan for most my life and seeing a "hard" dude soften up like this hits me right in the feels. Believe in yourself, believe in each other
:heart:

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
This man is a legend. Having deep struggles with addiction (and other stuff) and being in the public eye can't be easy at all.

I also remember him saying how now that he has kids it changed his perspective on the role he plays. He stopped swearing as much in shows because of that for example (the quote was something like "I see kids everywhere at these shows. If my kids where in the audience, what show would I like to put on?").

The pressure to be in a gigantic metal band while still being a perfect role model for millions of people is surely crushing.

The fact they are still putting on killer shows at their age is almost miraculous.

everdom

Oct 29, 2017
This is amazing to see, Metallica smashing toxic masculinity right in the face. Also as someone who has struggled a lot with booze and a Metallica fan, this is a special moment.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Off topic but not really, my friend Doc Coyle has a podcast called Ex-Man with Doc Coyle, and he just interviewed Robert Trujillo for his 200th episode. It is a really good interview and Robert talks a decent amount about getting older and still playing. In fact he even shares it was Hetfield that inspired him to start doing some breathing app or some shit. Seems like they are all very aware of the fact they are getting older but still in a young man's game so to speak.

Oct 30, 2017
My favorite band of all-time, very formative. Love me some James Hetfield too.

They've all been pretty open about their struggles over the years. A lot of people find the Some Kind Of Monster documentary embarrassing, an opinion I've never understood. I always found it fascinating and poignant, particularly the unflinching look at Hetfield's alcoholism and all of the self-reflection going on by the band in general.

You rarely see guys in a genre so seemingly fueled at least on the surface by machismo open themselves up to potential ridicule by sharing their feelings and their inner conflicts.
Reminds me of Randy Blythe getting his ass kicked by Mark Morton in the Killadelphia tour documentary that essentially kickstarted Blythe's recovery and sobriety. He'd get absolutely hammered before and during shows and was an incredibly aggressive and angry drunk.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
Loosing so many musicians over the past few years that have meant a lot to me like Weiland, Cornell and Chester (just to name a few) made me rethink the way I deal with my own struggles.
Being open and honest and surrounding myself with people who willboth support me and call me on my shit has made a huge difference. All the best to James!

Paterique

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Man is simply a walking legend. One of my main inspiring for 30 years now, to see him be so vulnerable speaks so much to his integrity.
Just hard as a liftetime metallica obsessed fan to start feeling that the end seem near

Oct 25, 2017
They've had bad moments and bad spans, to be sure. The hazing of Jason Newsted is way up there. It kneecapped an entire album so that's always going to be part of their legacy. I thought it was heinous when they mocked Kurt Cobain on stage after he killed himself, particularly Hetfield and Ulrich, the twin terrors.

But they've been open about how fucked up they've been. And Newsted did show up to the hall of fame ceremony.

As someone who truly (wrongly) thought they knew everything about Metallica, the Kurt comments were really surprising, especially Lars throwing stones in glass houses re: making fun of Grohl.

BUT, to James's point, there it is all on display, the toxic masculinity, maksing feelings of sadness/anxiety/fear with shitty jokes.

OP
OP
Psychotron

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Off topic but not really, my friend Doc Coyle has a podcast called Ex-Man with Doc Coyle, and he just interviewed Robert Trujillo for his 200th episode. It is a really good interview and Robert talks a decent amount about getting older and still playing. In fact he even shares it was Hetfield that inspired him to start doing some breathing app or some shit. Seems like they are all very aware of the fact they are getting older but still in a young man's game so to speak.

As in God Forbid Doc Coyle? Guy is incredible. Loved that band.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
As in God Forbid Doc Coyle? Guy is incredible. Loved that band.
Yep same one. I was in a band back in the day and we played shows with God Forbid when they were coming up and we were close to breaking up. We were both kind of anomalies (at the time, now it is very normal) so people used to book us together. They were a metal band with hardcore influences and we were a hardcore band with metal influences. So GF were very much part of the hardcore scene which is the scene I grew up in.

We also rehearsed at the same rehearsal studio, so became friends and turned out Doc and Dallas lived like half a mile from me so would chill with them a decent amount. As a result I also became God Forbid's webmaster back when there was such a thing for around 2-3 years. It was right around when they started gaining some traction and were put on the OzFest.

My new band (which is actually damn near most of my old band that used to play with GF) was a sponsor on one of his Ex-Man podcasts fairly recently and that basically all went down due to the relationship we had way back when.

So even though he is no doubt doing his own thing now, he has truly never forgotten where he has come from. Doc is beyond good people and so damn happy to see all of the success he is having.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
As someone who truly (wrongly) thought they knew everything about Metallica, the Kurt comments were really surprising, especially Lars throwing stones in glass houses re: making fun of Grohl.

BUT, to James's point, there it is all on display, the toxic masculinity, maksing feelings of sadness/anxiety/fear with shitty jokes.

Pre and Post St. Anger Metallica is such a huge change. They really needed to stop and get therapy after everything they experienced. I'm glad they realized how fucked up they were. Jason basically ended saving the band by leaving them to deal with their own shit.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
Pre and Post St. Anger Metallica is such a huge change. They really needed to stop and get therapy after everything they experienced. I'm glad they realized how fucked up they were. Jason basically ended saving the band by leaving them to deal with their own shit.

Something I forgot until watching old footage of the band on YouTube today (live in Illinois, 1983) was just how young they were when Kill 'Em All launched (James and Lars were 19, Kirk had not long turned 20 and Cliff was the oldest but still not even 21). They'd been playing together and recording demos since they were 18, and once Kill 'Em All hit they pretty much didn't stop, then had to deal with losing a friend in a horrendous accident, bouncing back from that to follow up on the critical and commercial acclaim of Master of Puppets while trying to integrate a new band member, then hitting the massive success of the Black Album going into their 30s, essentially playing out their midlife crises in public view on years-long tours and the back of Load/Reload.

There's stuff they did, and ways they behaved, during those periods that appealed to me as a teenage boy having a pretty rough time, but that I later came to identify as pretty fucking awful and toxic, and Some Kind of Monster worked for me on the level of scraping everything back and showing that Metallica as they were was not necessarily something to be emulated or admired, and I think credit is due to the band for recognising that too and doing the work. I think the band that came out the other side are the better for it, and while I don't think the post-St Anger albums are ever going to be my favourite Metallica, there are some fantastic tracks on them that stack up against a good bit of their earlier catalogue, and that's something I didn't think I'd be able to say in 2003/2004.

I still fucking hate "Papa Het" as a nickname though - but then, I loathe it when UK comic fans call Pat Mills "Uncle Pat", so that's not an exclusively Metallica thing :-D

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Something I forgot until watching old footage of the band on YouTube today (live in Illinois, 1983) was just how young they were when Kill 'Em All launched (James and Lars were 19, Kirk had not long turned 20 and Cliff was the oldest but still not even 21). They'd been playing together and recording demos since they were 18, and once Kill 'Em All hit they pretty much didn't stop, then had to deal with losing a friend in a horrendous accident, bouncing back from that to follow up on the critical and commercial acclaim of Master of Puppets while trying to integrate a new band member, then hitting the massive success of the Black Album going into their 30s, essentially playing out their midlife crises in public view on years-long tours and the back of Load/Reload.

There's stuff they did, and ways they behaved, during those periods that appealed to me as a teenage boy having a pretty rough time, but that I later came to identify as pretty fucking awful and toxic, and Some Kind of Monster worked for me on the level of scraping everything back and showing that Metallica as they were was not necessarily something to be emulated or admired, and I think credit is due to the band for recognising that too and doing the work. I think the band that came out the other side are the better for it, and while I don't think the post-St Anger albums are ever going to be my favourite Metallica, there are some fantastic tracks on them that stack up against a good bit of their earlier catalogue, and that's something I didn't think I'd be able to say in 2003/2004.

I still fucking hate "Papa Het" as a nickname though - but then, I loathe it when UK comic fans call Pat Mills "Uncle Pat", so that's not an exclusively Metallica thing :-D

A lot of metal bands from the 80's were super young and those were probably the most fucked up from it. It's the 80's and you had money. Not a great combo.

OP
OP
Psychotron

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Yep same one. I was in a band back in the day and we played shows with God Forbid when they were coming up and we were close to breaking up. We were both kind of anomalies (at the time, now it is very normal) so people used to book us together. They were a metal band with hardcore influences and we were a hardcore band with metal influences. So GF were very much part of the hardcore scene which is the scene I grew up in.

We also rehearsed at the same rehearsal studio, so became friends and turned out Doc and Dallas lived like half a mile from me so would chill with them a decent amount. As a result I also became God Forbid's webmaster back when there was such a thing for around 2-3 years. It was right around when they started gaining some traction and were put on the OzFest.

My new band (which is actually damn near most of my old band that used to play with GF) was a sponsor on one of his Ex-Man podcasts fairly recently and that basically all went down due to the relationship we had way back when.

So even though he is no doubt doing his own thing now, he has truly never forgotten where he has come from. Doc is beyond good people and so damn happy to see all of the success he is having.

Very cool. He's with Bad Wolves now I believe. They're getting more mainstream attention than GF ever did. Gone Forever was the first album I heard by them and it was incredible. Equilibrium was a damn good swan song for the band.

Eddman

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
A lot of people give them shit for the therapist/coach stuff in the St. Anger era, but at the end of the day it really looks like they evolved as human beings after that low point.

I really like James doing this because is like a middle finger to the lame-ass toxic masculinity that has defined thrash/extreme metal for so long. You may like or dislike Metallica, but this guy is a genuine music icon and a very "real" person.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's pretty wild how young they were when they started this ride. I can't imagine being 18 and starting the biggest hard rock band of all time. Not saying there aren't some pretty awesome perks to that. But, it has to be weird for your entire adult life to be stories and legends to millions of people around the world.

Like, the legend of Kill Em All and firing Mustaine. The death of Burton. The entire explosion of The Black Album and the backlash from it... It's hard to remember these are just people and their lives. Burton wasn't a character in The Metallica Story. He was a man that was lost too soon. James isn't a god or main character of some story. He's just a man who had a pretty shitty upbringing and then launched right into stardom without ever dealing with that shit.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people give them shit for the therapist/coach stuff in the St. Anger era, but at the end of the day it really looks like they evolved as human beings after that low point.

I really like James doing this because is like a middle finger to the lame-ass toxic masculinity that has defined thrash/extreme metal for so long. You may like or dislike Metallica, but this guy is a genuine music icon and a very "real" person.

Anyone who ever gave them shit for all of that was a fucking ass. Dipshits like Kerry King who were out their talking shit about it back in the day can fuck off forever.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Gimme friends gimme hugs gimme love when I'm down ooh

Very sweet video, nice to see such a candid show of emotion from him.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I hate to say it, but it might be for the best if Metallica just stops touring. I know they're veterans at it, but that kind of lifestyle takes a serious toll on younger musicians, much less ones his age playing the way he does. Given that the last tour was cut short by James relapsing, I'm kinda worried.

I can imagine Hetfield rehearsing backstage and feeling like--instead of chalking it up to maybe an off-night--his abilities are deteriorating. I mean, this guy is trying to sing and play riffs that he created 30 years ago. A 60 year-old man's hands just aren't going to cooperate the same and that can hit anyone, especially someone with esteem issues, really hard. Hetfield is seeing his age in real-time and it was probably a gut-punch for him. Glad to see his bandmates are there as friends and just not as business associates.
Exactly, even if nothing horrible happened in Metallica's past, he'd still be leaving his family for weeks on end to nail some furious downpicking while singing with the pressure of cameras and a huge audience with an aging body. That would be a drain on anyone.