• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Doing DC TV stuff really suits him. SS was really meh even weirder than gotg2 even with all the freedom

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
He seemed to have a lot of fun and so did his cast, plus HBO/DC seemed to give him almost total creative control. Not surprised he wants to do more.

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed. I too enjoyed the show for the most part and it wasn't because of the TV-MA content. All these "Marvel doesn't have boobs, gore and F-bombs so it sucks" takes in here are pretty embarrassing.

Speaking of embarrassing…

I don't recall anyone saying Marvel sucks because of those limitations. People are just pointing out the absolutely true fact that Gunn isn't constrained to nearly the same degree with HBO/DC/WB as he is with Marvel/Disney.

That's not a statement on quality. It's a statement on creative freedom.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
After peacemaker I completely support this. A short season format seems like a great fit for his skills.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. I too enjoyed the show for the most part and it wasn't because of the TV-MA content. All these "Marvel doesn't have boobs, gore and F-bombs so it sucks" takes in here are pretty embarrassing.

I agree with this post. I don't see the point of turning this into another Marvel vs. DC thread.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I think it's interesting he's writing/directing the entire second season AND doing another spin off. If I were him I'd want more of a break to work on the latter during the former.

I don't think this means he's gone forever from the MCU, especially since I imagine Disney wants it to go on into perpetuity.

It'd be fun if down the road Gunn is the bridge that gets us a Marvel VS DC movie.

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's interesting he's writing/directing the entire second season AND doing another spin off. If I were him I'd want more of a break to work on the latter during the former.

He's said he won't be as much in control of the other show. I'm guessing somebody else will be showrunner, probably consulting with Gunn on the scripts, and then Gunn will direct the first episode.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
Excellent stuff. But between the Snydercut and Gunn's recent efforts, the Batman's realistic and gritty take, etc, I'm starting to wonder if the DCEU is incapable of sustained success with their properties without that content being aimed at older audiences. For what it's worth, Gunn can be the answer for a well done light hearted team up flick as well, so he can only be an asset. Just thinking out loud.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Good. It's so obvious DC characters are more his thing. It's funny, because the whole time I was watching The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker, I thought to myself so THIS is what he wanted to do with GOTG.
At the same time the critical and commercial success of GotG is probably what lead to DC giving him the green light he's been given on TSS and Peacemaker. WB likely had to give him more freedom to get him away from Disney.