• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Release the Gunn Cut of Justice League, you cowards.

Anyway, Alan Horn really fucked up here. James Gunn was supposed to be one of the leads on establishing the cosmic MCU, which would have had him working as a consultant on several films with several directors. Now he might just do GotG3 and bounce.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd prefer he stay away from 'space' all together. I think he'd be a good fit for something like Booster Gold.
Not a bad idea, Gunn knows how to work with D-Tier comic book characters, so that's a good fit.
EasyExcitableDwarfrabbit-small.gif

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, could potentially keep with suicide squad as it's members rotate like another said. I wonder if he'd be interested in teen titans? Maybe even titans?

Oct 25, 2017
If they end up being better quality I'm sure the people up in arms in the other thread about Leto/Snyder/WB management (apparently) who really do love the source material will sing the praises of these new productions.

I enjoyed both GoTGs, glad Gunn is being allowed to play with the other brand's toys.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Not a bad idea, Gunn knows how to work with D-Tier comic book characters, so that's a good fit.
EasyExcitableDwarfrabbit-small.gif

I think it would be right in his wheelhouse (sci-fi genre, fish-out-of-water protagonist) and feels different enough from what's come from both DC and Marvel already. I'm not saying that he should do it, but I could see it.

I wonder if he'd be interested in teen titans? Maybe even titans?

Another property that will definitely get a theatrical outing at some point if only because it's still such a massive brand for WB/DC. Let the tv series run it's course in a few years and then use either Raven or Blue Beetle as the cornerstone of a slate of Titan film & TV projects.

Again, I could absolutely see it.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I fully expected him to get the Thunderbolts movie he wanted under Marvel.

But I would be glad if someone else took it, not the biggest Gunn fan, GotG 1 was great, 2 just okay. And even in 1 I don't like his take on the guardians that much compared to the Abnett and Lanning run.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Disappointing, DC is a waste of James' talents.
No. Plenty of great stories to be told in both universes. WB isn't without problems (obviously) but recently they seem to be much more open to creative freedom than Marvel, also due to them pretty much abandoning the idea of a coherent DCEU.

Let him go nuts and do what he wants.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Would be kind of a bummer to see him turn established franchises into movies for the next few years. Would be much more interested in him being able to develop is own original movies. We only really got Slither and Super and those are more than a decade old at this point.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
He was given a wealth of freedom and support on The Suicide Squad, so it's not surprising. He's said it was the most pleasant experience he's had shooting a movie. Aa much as he loves Guardians, those movies were a grind for him.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Charles Murphy reporting a rumour (which, to be fair he does emphasise in the article) that James Gunn has expressed an interest in doing a KRYPTO film at Warner Bros.

www.murphysmultiverse.com

What I Heard This Week: James Gunn and 'Krypto' - Murphy's Multiverse

When James Gunn and Marvel Studios parted ways in mid-2018, it wasn’t long before the director found himself…

Given that he wrote the first live action Scooby Doo film for WB and, as I said earlier, is also involved in the upcoming Coyote Vs. ACME film he does have experience in this area.

If this were ever to come to pass I assume that it would be animated or live action/animation hybrid project and not necessarily one that he would direct himself but co-produce through his banner.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
So Guardians 3 is probably a good ways off still? Disney is probably just letting him have his trilogy and cutting ties.
I don't think it's anywhere near that harsh. If they really wanted to cut ties, they wouldn't have hired him back in the first place lol. But Gunn has been pretty ebullient in how much he's loved his Suicide Squad experience (obviously, since it inspired him to do a whole tv series spin-off right off the bat) and in between the Guardians movies and providing input on Infinity War and Thor: Love and Thunder, he's been with Marvel for around a decade, so makes sense he'd want to cool it on Marvel after GOTG3 is done. But I don't think it's a case of either party cutting ties with the other.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charles Murphy reporting a rumour (which, to be fair he does emphasise in the article) that James Gunn has expressed an interest in doing a KRYPTO film at Warner Bros.

www.murphysmultiverse.com

What I Heard This Week: James Gunn and 'Krypto' - Murphy's Multiverse

When James Gunn and Marvel Studios parted ways in mid-2018, it wasn’t long before the director found himself…

Given that he wrote the first live action Scooby Doo film for WB and, as I said earlier, is also involved in the upcoming Coyote Vs. ACME film he does have experience in this area.

If this were ever to come to pass I assume that it would be animated or live action/animation hybrid project and not necessarily one that he would direct himself but co-produce through his banner.
dc-super-pets-movie.png

MAKE IT HAPPEN