• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
James Franco has been accused of sexually inappropriate or exploitative behavior by five women in the Los Angeles Times this morning.

Detailed reports allege that Franco's acting school was a sexually exploitative environment for young women trying to make it in the film industry

Each of the reports, which come from five women who attended Studio 4, Franco's acting school, or otherwise considered him a personal mentor in the film industry, are corroborated by multiple sources and denied by Franco's attorney, Michael Plonsker.

The first accusations came out on Twitter after Franco wore a "Time's Up" pin — a signifier of solidarity with the recently invigorated movement to end sexism and abuse in Hollywood — to the Golden Globes on Sunday night, where he won Best Actor for his portrayal of Tommy Wiseau in the The Disaster Artist. Immediately following his win, Sarah Tither-Kaplan, a former acting student of Franco's, tweeted her disgust:

Today, she tells the LA Times that she filmed a nude orgy scene with Franco three years ago, and that during the course of filming he removed the plastic guards covering several other actresses' vaginas. "I feel there was an abuse of power, and there was a culture of exploiting non-celebrity women, and a culture of women being replaceable," she said.

The final accuser, another former student named Katie Ryan, said that Franco made it clear to many students that "there were possible roles on the table if we were to perform sexual acts or take off our shirts." She says he emailed her frequently, offering her only roles as "a prostitute or a hooker."
More at: https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/11/...xual-abuse-allegations-students-golden-globes
Source: http://beta.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-james-franco-allegations-20180111-htmlstory.html

MOD EDIT:

Please read this post before commenting. It sums up a lot of the back-and-forth in this thread.

#believewomen shouldn't have to be explained any more than #blacklivesmatter but here we are. People contort themselves with all sorts of mental gymnastics to whip out some tried and true whataboutism whenever uncomfortable topics like sexual abuse and sexual assault of women, and the perpetual effects of institutional and systemic racism that affects minorities, in particular black people in America. Anything to downplay it and shift blame/onus to the victims.

It's frustrating, because it's clear to anyone willing to engage in good faith that #believewomen does not mean "women never lie, have never lied, and will never lie, so believe everything that comes out of their mouths and disbelieve the accused regardless of what they say in their defense." It's a simple call to take a woman's accusations of sexual assault seriously, because history has shown us that false sexual assault/rape allegations are 1, very rare, and 2, tend to cause more blowback to the victims coming forward than the accused. Especially in the instances where their abuser is in a position of power over them (this could be a parent, a boss, a politician, and yeah, an actor who's influence can literally make or break your career), the victims are almost always ostracized and ridiculed and called "liars" or "gold digging whores" just trying to get their 15 minutes of fame and a sweet sweet payday.

And we wonder why victims stay quiet for years, even decades, and only come forward when they feel they may be "safe" from their abuser, with the bitter irony being that by waiting so long, the statute of limitations is up, and nothing can be done to the abuser, legally. Even worse is that in the cases of sexual assault and abuse, evidence is almost never present because of the nature of most sexual assaults/sexual abuse.

The hostile and toxic environment victims expose themselves to when they finally find the strength to speak out against their abuser is disgusting. And that's for the victims that come forward. Imagine how many more victims stay quiet because of the reactions of some people in threads like this. Not being believed when you live with the effects of your abuse for the rest of your life, and knowing that coming forward will more than likely make things worse for you, not your abuser, who will probably go unpunished, is indescribably awful, and emotionally scarring.

#believewomen isn't just a catchy hashtag for likes on social media. It's a tool for victims and those who legitimately support the victims to empower them and embolden them so maybe they won't feel so isolated and alone, and are able to dig deep and find the strength to say, "this person abused me, and I'm not going to stay silent anymore." Or at the very least, give them support and strength to go forward with their lives. I can't say there is a woman in my life that wasn't sexually abused at some point in their lives, and being there for them (as well as living with my own sexual abuse) is about all we can really do. It's not always about justice, Internet justice or legal justice. But if we can stop predators like Franco and Spacey and Weinstein from being in those positions of power that allowed them to prey on innocents unchecked for so long, as well as shift the culture that allows these predators to wield so much power? Sign me up to burn it all down.

So many stories of abuse float around Hollywood circles, but very few names are spoken aloud. Those days are changing. Good. Out them all. I don't give a fuck how much you enjoy their movies. If it was your son or daughter, or niece or nephew, or brother or sister being abused by these assholes, would you still be using mental gymnastics to look your loved one in the face and say, "Well, it wasn't that bad, right? You knew what you signed up for, daughter. Just suck his dick when he wants," because this dude made a movie you liked? Pathetic.

The amount of people willing to turn and look the other way so they can keep watching a tv show is disgusting and disheartening.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There are enough outed execs, directors, writers, producers and actors to form their own new studio.

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this makes some of the people in the previous thread do a bit of introspection, especially the ones who were jumping on the tweet from the actress about signing the contract for nudity. It's obvious he wasn't running normal film sets.

He did another interview with Seth Meyers last night and it was also quite bad

The fact that he's still doing a press tour is honestly mind-boggling.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a friend from school that moved to LA and took a few of his classes. I wonder if she's heard anything.

Sucks this guy also turned out to be a douchebag.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
5 now? And damn at that Sarah Tither-Kaplan bit, so many dudes in the other thread kept saying it was nothing.

I can see more and more coming forward now sadly

Chaparral

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
And watch as all the people in the last Franco thread that argued otherwise are long gone.

How many times does it need to be said before arrogant, ignorant men, especially on this board, get it? WHEN IT COMES TO SEXUAL ASSAULT, BELIEVE WOMEN, ALWAYS.

Mod edit: Please do not quote/reply to this post any further.

Last edited by a moderator:

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was always incredibly shady to me that a guy who very publicly tried to hook up with a teen was also a college instructor.

Oct 27, 2017
And watch as all the people in the last Franco thread that argued otherwise are long gone.

How many times does it need to be said before arrogant, ignorant men, especially on this board, get it? WHEN IT COMES TO SEXUAL ASSAULT, BELIEVE WOMEN, ALWAYS.
I do wonder if the guys who initially defend these celebrities ever realize they're part of the problem after the big expose drops. But I suspect I know what the answer is.

Chaparral

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I do wonder if the guys who initially defend these celebrities ever realize they're part of the problem after the big expose drops. But I suspect I know what the answer is.

Exactly. It is absolutely infuriating to see it happen, and I will show no quarter in pointing out the hypocrisy in some of the users of this board when it comes to believing sex assault victims.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope this makes some of the people in the previous thread do a bit of introspection, especially the ones who were jumping on the tweet from the actress about signing the contract for nudity. It's obvious he wasn't running normal film sets.

The fact that he's still doing a press tour is honestly mind-boggling.

Complete lack of self-awareness + hubris will do that

^^^^^^^^^^^^ 100x this

Rape is barely ever reported - harassment and assault even less so. When a woman comes forward - you listen.

There were fucking people coming out of the woodwork saying Amber Heard smashed her face into a door to sue Johnny Depp until he publicly admitted and apologized to hitting her/abusing her.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
A few people in the other thread were talking about Franco's acting school, which I had never even heard of before, much less the rumors of Franco using it to assault or harass women. Gross.

hansel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. It is absolutely infuriating to see it happen, and I will show no quarter in pointing out the hypocrisy in some of the users of this board when it comes to believing sex assault victims.

Like I said in previous threads. Wolves in sheeps clothing.

They probably realized they too at some point sexually assaulted a woman and fear they might get #Metoo'd.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
KNEW IT.

I can tell from the Colbert interview how ridiculously awkward and defensive he was. Some posters replied with "people handle pressure differently, does not mean he's guilty". Fuck that. Body language is a big deal in finding someone's hiding something. Dude was just hesitant to address the elephant in the room.

My question however is, why go on Colbert and Meyers and say the first accuser was lying when you know full well there's maybe half a dozen or more you've sexually abused, which you know will come forward?

Real Hero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
as bad as sexual assault is I feel even worse for these women if they learnt to act from james franco

QuantumZebra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
KNEW IT.

I can tell from the Colbert interview how ridiculously awkward and defensive he was. Some posters replied with "people handle pressure differently, does not mean he's guilty". Fuck that. Body language is a big deal in finding someone's hiding something. Dude was just hesitant to address the elephant in the room.

My question however is, why go on Colbert and Meyers and say the first accuser was lying when you know full well there's maybe half a dozen or more you've sexually abused, which you know will come forward?

Like in my last post.... hubris + lack of self-awareness is a bitch

QuantumZebra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
as bad as sexual assault is I feel even worse for these women if they learnt to act from james franco

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Chaparral

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
User banned (1 day): repeated unwarranted attacks on the entire staff (w/ prior warnings). We certainly do not ignore misogyny.
We have mods for that, and the report option.

When the mods clearly don't give a shit about the misogyny other then the clear cut cases, and not the underlying, insidious misogyny found within the forum that goes back to GAF, then it is sort of pointless to bring this up with mods, isn't it?

I have brought this up with mods, in a more general sense. I was soundly ignored.

I'm tired of it.

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
User warned: downplaying sexual assault as "drama"
I love James Franco, he's been an awesome actor since Freaks & Geeks. Can't honestly wait for the Disaster Artist.

About this drama surrounding him. Innocent until proven guilty, without a shadow of doubt. Like everyone should be.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
James Franco Acting School of Excellence

In all seriousness, don't see this going away from him. Good. Bye, boy.

Deleted member 16609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC

Tell that to Mike Tyson and Freddie Gibbs. A lot of people are very aware whats going on. You cannot blame people for wanting to hear both sides when it came to light the other day. Right now is not a good look for him. Because you have people on set to vouch for these victims(if they choose so) and a digital trail with said e-mails.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When the mods clearly don't give a shit about the misogyny other then the clear cut cases, and not the underlying, insidious misogyny found within the forum that goes back to GAF, then it is sort of pointless to bring this up with mods, isn't it?

I have brought this up with mods, in a more general sense. I was soundly ignored.

I'm tired of it.

I too, support making a list of prospective future bans and then coming back to it for retroactive bannings once they have shown themselves to be wrong in the past.

That's what you're advocating for, right? Action against people who supported guilty sexual harassers?

hansel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now let's see if Paul Scheer, June Diane Raphael and Alison Brie keep supporting this scumbag.

You can't support TimesUp and promote the film of a sexual criminal because you had a part in it.