• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Explain to me how Superman's flight powers work, from a physics point of view.

I am kinda amazed at how your points are going over people's heads.

Aquaman does seem way better than I expected and I am actually interested in it despite never liking the character, but stuff like how his movement in water actually works and how Superman can actually fly are things that really only have the slightest veneer of internal logic to them and are mostly just taken at face value without much reasoning.

I don't think there is anything wrong with enjoying stuff like that (I love me some comic book movies), but I do really appreciate when creators go the extra mile to make sure their concepts and internal logic manage to line up.

I am the type where those sort of discrepancies really do get on my nerves.
A recent example would be in gaming. I am a big fan of loot games in general and played Destiny on and off like many others.
It had its issues of course and when The Division came out a lot of friends tried to convince me to play it with them but I couldn't get past the first beta.

And it was mostly because the gameplay design and the overall concept just didn't mesh well for me.
Both Destiny and Division turn into battles against bullet sponge enemies at a certain point in the overall gameplay loop, but I have a lot easier of a time imagining that a 9 ft tall armored Hive Knight can take a full clip and keep walking, over some random looter in street clothes.

If Cameron made a Superman movie (I know, will never happen) he would absolutely go for the OG golden age Superman that can't fly but just uses his strength to jump extreme distances.

ncsoft

Dec 11, 2017
In a century with Bourne movies and Mission Impossible movies and probably a lot of others I'm not thinking of, this doesn't hold water.

If you mean bloickbuster sci-fi movies, yeah. But that's narrowing it down a lot. And even then you have stuff like Interstellar, The Martian, and Gravity, which I'd still call blockbusters (if not action blockbusters).

The Martian, and Gravity are definitely harder Sci-fi than Avatar, how much of a blockbuster they are is up for debate. Interstellar though, that's hard to define.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
But can he make a movie that is mostly set in or around water without nearly drowning his actors?

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
These comments are mostly positive with a bit of light ribbing. People sure are touchy in here!

Anyway, I can't wait to see how the water stuff looks in Avatar 2. I bet it's going to sear people's minds. My main complaint with most blockbuster CGI is a real lack of weight. This is a huge issue in basically all of the current super hero films, and it really does impact my enjoyment because I mainly go into these things looking for spectacle. I'm rarely wowed these days, but I expect Cameron to deliver on this front.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
The Martian, and Gravity are definitely harder Sci-fi than Avatar, how much of a blockbuster they are is up for debate. Interstellar though, that's hard to define.

Nah, Interstellar's sci-fi is hard af. We will find out exactly how good or bad its science is once the James Webb telescope transmits the first pictures of a supermassive black hole to us in the near future, but until then it's pretty solid. The most fantastical moments in the movie involve the wormholes located by Saturn and the other one he goes through when being pulled into the event horizon (he did NOT actually go into Gargantua, but instead went through another wormhole constructed and placed there by the advanced future beings). Considering it gets so much science right, and pretty much all of the fictional elements are based on speculation stemming from theories in which there is no data to confirm or refute anything conclusively, it does ok at being hard sci-fi.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Cameron wanted more Pochahontas and less Little Mermaid.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Filming of Avatar 2 is done, and as far as I know he only drowned a few cats that had been painted blue.

Not sure if any animals drowned on the set of that film or not, but submerging human actors to the brink of nearly drowning is a Jim Cameron staple. Seems he's getting better at cracking the code of preventing the worst from happening though - During filming of the next Avatar movies he required his actors figure out to hold their breath for extended periods of time for the underwater scenes (up to five minutes) with no issues reported yet. Apparently Kate Winslet holds the current record at 7 minutes.

Last edited:

Ronin1138

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Cameron's last great movie was T2

Avatar was just a me too version of The Phantom Menace that came out two decades too late.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
. "I never could have made that film, because it requires this kind of total dreamlike disconnection from any sense of physics or reality," he admits. "People just kind of zoom around underwater, because they propel themselves mentally, I guess, I don't know. But it's cool! You buy it on its own terms."

HUH???

does he think his movies are documentaries or something?
Said by the guy who made a franchise about time travelling robots sent to kill a woman who would give birth to the savior of the world. Lol.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Wait are people serious about using the term "Hard Sci-Fi"?
party_down_martin_starr_main.jpg

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Kinda nuts just how awful people are at comprehension and the difference re: a work of fiction with no creative internal logic or mechanisms vs. a work of fiction that has it's own internal science and logic to ground what is happening on screen.

"derp, but cameron's movies have far out concepts too"

people deserve capeshit without a doubt.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
"Come back when you hit your second billion and you're on your way to your third — then we'll talk," he jokes.
lol... I love it. Cameron definitely is an asshole often... but god damn if the dude isn't the most successful director of all time..

edit - and you can call one movie a fluke.. or even two movies.. but dude has grossed $6B at the box office worldwide and adjusted for inflation 4 out of 6 of his major motion picture releases have gone over $500M, 3 over $1B adjusted for inflation, and 2 over $2B NOT adjusted for inflation.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
He's somebody who believes the more fantastical the world you're trying to present, the more you have to ground it in a kind of logical reality in terms of how it works in order to make an audience believe it.

It's why Avatar - a movie about a sentient moon with 1000ft USB trees inhabited by 9ft tall dragon-riding cat people is still the hardest science fiction movie to come out this century.
unobtanium.JPG

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Who's James Cameron? Is he that director who hasn't made anything in ages because he's obsessed with his 20 film series pet project?

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Cute of Cameron to prod at Wan who could make a more entertaining film than Avatar while he's half asleep and drunk. Oh, and hey, this is his second billion dollar film.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
People getting upset prob post the same comments about some other movie.
Avatar>>Hurt Locker. People talking about how unoriginal avatar was and hurt locker sitting here with the I'm only alive on the battlefield theme that vegeta did better

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Guys, there are people riding sharks and giant crabs in this movie, it's not hard to see what James Cameron is talking about
He made a movie about CG blue people fucking with their ponytails and shoving those same ponytails in giant CG flying creatures that have to form emotional bonds with their rider.

He isn't exactly making grounded drama.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, there are people riding sharks and giant crabs in this movie,
I don't know. If you're an intelligent species living underwater you could probably manage to domesticate sharks. They're a little too aggressive compared to most domesticated animals and I don't know if they have a proper social hierarchy (but neither do cats) but they otherwise hit all the other necessary traits for a domestic animal. All they would have had to do was breed a more docile species of shark for generations with the goal of transport and combat.

OP
OP
Scullibundo

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Cute of Cameron to prod at Wan who could make a more entertaining film than Avatar while he's half asleep and drunk. Oh, and hey, this is his second billion dollar film.
Maybe you're half asleep and drunk. Cameron is talking about single film gross. Wan has yet to make a single movie to gross more than $2b - which is what he was saying.

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, people really dislike James Cameron here lol.

I have a hard time believing anyone can love movies and not think Avatar is an immaculate piece of work on nearly every level.

Not every story needs to be complex to make a good movie.
And as far as directing (among other things) goes Cameron is in a class of his own really.

OP
OP
Scullibundo

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017

I have a hard time believing anyone can love movies and not think Avatar is an immaculate piece of work on nearly every level.

And as far as directing (among other things) goes Cameron is in a class of his own really.
James Wan agrees with you
EW asked Aquaman director Wan months ago if he had competitive feelings about the Avatar movies doing actual underwater photography and he gave a humble reply. "If anything, I think [what Cameron is doing is] amazing," Wan said. "Rule No. 1 is don't ever compete with James Cameron. He's in a whole different game of his own.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

Nearly every level allows us to skip over acting, plot, and character, sure.

Terminator and T2 are 10x the movie that Avatar is, once you get beyond the technical aspects.

Oct 25, 2017
Moon
The Martian
Gravity
Children of Men
Interstellar
Ex Machina
District 9
Sunshine
Under the Skin

You need to see more movies.

Interstellar might not qualify if you don't accept its climax-reveal, but the others are all far harder sci-fi than Avatar.

Besides The Martian, Interstellar is the hardest of the bunch by far. If you're interested in science, Kip Thorne's The Science of Interstellar is well worth it.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Besides The Martian, Interstellar is the hardest of the bunch by far. If you're interested in science, Kip Thorne's The Science of Interstellar is well worth it.

Yes, I agree up until the end. The climax and explanations that followed are highly speculative, even if they are at least based on some theories.

I like Interstellar quite a lot, but the way.

And it's TV, but I like The Expanse for its relative hard-science basis, although it drifts away from that slowly over time.

(Actually, Gravity is harder still, it just gets its science wrong, sadly.)

Last edited:

ncsoft

Dec 11, 2017

Gravity is one of the greatest example of that, I mean, so is Avatar, but Gravity is another misunderstood masterpiece, but often faulted by the "intellectual" crowd for having a plot that is too simple.

ncsoft

Dec 11, 2017
🧐 I don't understand...Wan has already hit $1b twice and is on his way to a third $1b movie.
Cameron's playful comment can be interpreted two ways
1. He is on his way to making the third 2B dollar movie (Avatar 2)
2. Avatar's gross (2.78B) was basically on its way to 3B.

Nex

Oct 25, 2017
hes just teasing wan and people are losing their shit, love it

and yeah next year cameron is making 3 bi no doubt