• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
Never understood why people feel obliged to nitpick on avatar so much. I mean Marvel movies are praised all the time, what the hell.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Avatar is a really fun movie. Please don't make fun of me too bad but I missed this at the cinema in 3D. It came out in a really shit period of my life when I wasn't doing shit for myself. I can't wait to see Avatar 2 and finally get to experience cool 3D.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
If it's timed to be the first big movie post vaccine it absolutely has the chance to be the biggest movie ever

nolan like

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Avatar was fine. Gorgeous to look it, the 3D was exceptionally well done, it was good. I remember reading all the blurbs about people being depressed because they couldn't live on Pandora, the huge box office and repeat business it got, and I kind of envied people who loved it that much. For me it was a disposable blockbuster and I haven't really thought about it since the fuss over the 3D blu ray being exclusive to a certain electronics brand had died down.
James Cameron releasing a big budget action movie will get me to check it out, whatever it was, the fact it's an Avatar sequel is pretty much incidental. It's weird that something as huge as Avatar left so little impression on me. I bought the 3D blu ray, watched it once, and haven't watched it since. It's sat on my shelf right now, just zero desire to bother watching it again.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Avatar is nothing like the Star Wars prequels, or most other blockbusters released since then. It's an epic, large scale adventure to another, full-realized world. It's pure audience escapism, expressly designed for the viewers to put themselves in the shoes of the main character. In 10+ years there have actually been very few movies (if any) like it, certainly not executed as well as Avatar.
I never personally liked the movie, but I'd agree with all of this. There's no denying what a master craftsmen he is on a number of levels. Virtually every shot is eye catching.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
What pushes you to be so aggresively shitty about your opinion? Like, you're literally trying to punish someone for vocalizing their like of the movie. How does this movie attract so many assholes?

Go ahead, answer me. Like you said, "I'll wait".

huh? i was trying to be funny, because its been such a long time and the movie really doesnt have any iconic or even memorable characters. a joke probably made a thousand times already lol, but yea sorry didnt mean to be a dick.

i mean if you read past that you'll see i wasn't shitting on the franchise particularly aggressively... in fact i'll bet the sequels will be just fine, hell, they might even turn out great. who knows? like i said i'm open-minded.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
huh? i was trying to be funny, because its been such a long time and the movie really doesnt have any iconic or even memorable characters. a joke probably made a thousand times already lol, but yea sorry didnt mean to be a dick.

i mean if you read past that you'll see i wasn't shitting on the franchise particularly aggressively... in fact i'll bet the sequels will be just fine, hell, they might even turn out great. who knows? like i said i'm open-minded.
Well hey, I'm sorry you had to be the butt of my pent up frustration with everyone who says what you said but unironically. If I could sort of... spread my comment evenly across all users it's meant for, instead of just you, I would lol

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking at the setup more then the Matador. Cameron always has the craziest looking tech.

grassblade

Oct 27, 2017
Any news on 4k HDR version of Avatar? Want to re-watch and surprised that this versions hasn't been release yet

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if there's any chance Disney will bump these back up to 2021/22 now. I don't think they have any big holiday release for next year do they?

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Weren't the prequels shot on film or am I misremembering?
No, only TPM was, though it had some digital shots as well. AtoC and RotS were completely digital, and George was a huge part of the widespread adoption of digital photography in cinema.

The sequels were shot on a mix of film and digital, but were primarily film.

I believe both the of the Star Wars Story films were digital.

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
Weren't the prequels shot on film or am I misremembering?
TPM was shot on 35mm film with 1 test scene being shot on one of the first digital HDCAM prototypes (the blood, midichlorian scene)
AOTC was fully shot on digital with F900 Panavision cameras, apparently the resolution on tape (for action scenes) was compressed 3:1 1440x1080 and I remember George's producer bragging about the fact that you could still zoom into the image for further shot manipulation.
I think ILM hated pulling greenscreen keys from this footage, at least that is what I heard.
ROTS was 4:4:4 1080p on Sony HDC-F950 Cameras.
In terms of CGI, even ROTS was basically 1-2 years before PBR was really a thing.

So that is the main reason AOTC feels like it looks "cheap". It was still pretty much "too early" to shoot fully digital, the compositing suffered and the CGI was not done with PBR workflows.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is correct, as far as I know. Until recently it was very rare for effects heavy films to be mastered in 4K. 2K is much more budget conscious, and nobody really notices.
Yeah. For instance I don't know of any CGI animated movies that haven't been rendered at 2K.

That of course doesn't stop Disney from releasing their shit in UHD. :p

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
It was awesome watching avatar 1 in theaters, the 3d, the colors

I have not have a desire to watch it again ever since I stepped out of that theater tho, up until this moment. Its the most forgetable movie I ever watched. Not hyped at all for 2 3 4 5 or 6

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Game of this will be pretty cool environment wise if it's like that. I want to go there.