• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Wanna explain this further?
I'm not sure many care at this point. The first movie was a technological masterpiece, but not memorable otherwise. It didn't develop the fanaticism of a Star Wars, Indiana Jones, or even Terminator. Hell, anecdotally speaking, there is more excitement for a new Back to the Future movie -- which isn't even happening -- than more Avatar. Since Titanic's success, Cameron's has taken George Lucas's "well I can't make the movie because the technology doesn't exist" mantra and uber-charged it, spending at least 11 years wasting the latter half of his career away on an overly ambitious project for an IP that is no longer in the hearts and minds of many. I admire his devotion to what is clearly important to him, but I suspect he has vastly over-estimated how much people care about 1 more Avatar film (let alone how ever many sequels he has planned). Perhaps "pretentious" is the wrong adjective. And "self-absorbed" has too much of a negative connotation. I'm at a loss for an apt descriptor, but personally I tire of Cameron's shtick. I don't think he's the movie-making genius he thinks he is.

Oct 27, 2017
Must have watched the original Avatar like 3 or 4 times at the Cinema and I loved it. Super excited for the sequels.

OP
OP
Scullibundo

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure many care at this point. The first movie was a technological masterpiece, but not memorable otherwise. It didn't develop the fanaticism of a Star Wars, Indiana Jones, or even Terminator. Hell, anecdotally speaking, there is more excitement for a new Back to the Future movie -- which isn't even happening -- than more Avatar. Since Titanic's success, Cameron's has taken George Lucas's "well I can't make the movie because the technology doesn't exist" mantra and uber-charged it, spending at least 11 years wasting the latter half of his career away on an overly ambitious project for an IP that is no longer in the hearts and minds of many. I admire his devotion to what is clearly important to him, but I suspect he has vastly over-estimated how much people care about 1 more Avatar film (let alone how ever many sequels he has planned). Perhaps "pretentious" is the wrong adjective. And "self-absorbed" has too much of a negative connotation. I'm at a loss for an apt descriptor, but personally I tire of Cameron's shtick. I don't think he's the movie-making genius he thinks he is.
He wants to continue developing an original universe that he created that has always been his bread and butter - and had been given a blank cheque to do it. Tired of his schtick? What an odd complaint.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
So bizarre to me that this guy doesn't know the buzz for this died right after the film left theatres.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
I like avatar and I'm not ashamed to admit

name 3 characters from it without googling. i'll wait.

seriously though i'm open-minded, if these new Avatars are decent adventure/sci-fi romps i'll watch them. i thought the first one was ok, and the 3D was amazing. that wow factor is basically impossible to replicate now though.. the movies themselves have to be interesting.

no joke, i have not heard a single person mention Avatar irl in a decade, lol. i wonder how such a forgotten franchise will be marketed?

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California

seriously though i'm open-minded, if these new Avatars are decent adventure/sci-fi romps i'll watch them. i thought the first one was ok, and the 3D was amazing. that wow factor is basically impossible to replicate now though.. the movies themselves have to be interesting.

no joke, i have not heard a single person mention Avatar irl in a decade, lol. i wonder how such a forgotten franchise will be marketed?

I'm assuming a part of marketing campaign will be focused on nostalgia, considering the first movie was released back in 2009 and people that saw it back then are now 10 years older. Seeing Avatar in theatres may have been a huge cinematic moment for some people in their lives (especially if they were kids or teens).

Misterman

Jun 10, 2018
I remember all the hype around the first one when it came out because it was in production for forever but finding the movie extremely average... I don't really care much at all about the visuals in a movie if the story is not that compelling. I'll probably end up watching it anyway, especially if it means COVID is finally gone

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Oh so he's making these simultaneously essentially? Interesting. Excited to see where it goes.

Also, I don't see all the need for people shitting on Avatar or James Cameron. I guess it was a pretty popular movie, and backlash is inevitable, but it's like... If you don't care about Avatar, why are you posting in here?

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't dislike the original film. I'd even say I enjoyed it. I do wish it was as good as Cameron believes it is, though.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming a part of marketing campaign will be focused on nostalgia, considering the first movie was released back in 2009 and people that saw it back then are now 10 years older. Seeing Avatar in theatres may have been a huge cinematic moment for some people in their lives (especially if they were kids or teens).

Very true. For some people, Avatar was their "Star Wars" moment in a movie theater. You don't forget something that fires your childhood imagination like that.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018

What pushes you to be so aggresively shitty about your opinion? Like, you're literally trying to punish someone for vocalizing their like of the movie. How does this movie attract so many assholes?

Go ahead, answer me. Like you said, "I'll wait".

BarryBJeans

Jul 22, 2019
I feel like anyone who actively seeks out to point out that nobody wants this movie did the same thing with Nickleback. Someone on the internet told them it was bad so they think they have to point out their dislike for it.

Sure Avatar had its flaws, but technologically speaking it was amazing. I was blown away by the 3D and visuals and look forward to being blown away at least 4 more times. In fact, I know I'll be travelling to see Avatar 2 on release day to see it in IMAX3D.

Also not ashamed to admit that I love the franchise. Pandora at Animal Kingdom is incredible. Flights of Passage is the best ride I have ever been on.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
I'm just preparing for the worst-case scenario, which would be having to watch it because reviews are good. =p

After this much time and the insane amount of work that has gone into it, it's going to be worth watching the second almost guaranteed. I think more work/R&D has gone into the sequels. And the first still looks great today IMO.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
After this much time and the insane amount of work that has gone into it, it's going to be worth watching the second almost guaranteed. I think more work/R&D has gone into the sequels. And the first still looks great today IMO.

but how much better will it look when compared with Avatar 1?
If it's a marketed improvement, then I'll check it out, for sure!

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What pushes you to be so aggresively shitty about your opinion? Like, you're literally trying to punish someone for vocalizing their like of the movie. How does this movie attract so many assholes?

Go ahead, answer me. Like you said, "I'll wait".
The behavior of some people in regards to Avatar is entirely bizarre. And it's kinda sad they're oblivious to how pathetic they sound. They probaby think they think they're being badass.

lol.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Oh so he's making these simultaneously essentially? Interesting. Excited to see where it goes.

Also, I don't see all the need for people shitting on Avatar or James Cameron. I guess it was a pretty popular movie, and backlash is inevitable, but it's like... If you don't care about Avatar, why are you posting in here?
Yes.
Cameron has habit to make storyboards pretty much ready before filming as well.
So we should have films which has more or less coherent storyline as well.
but how much better will it look when compared with Avatar 1?
If it's a marketed improvement, then I'll check it out, for sure!
Weta digital moved away from REYES rasterizer to their new spectral ray-tracer Manuka few years ago.
The image quality, all those luminous plants and other lighting should look significantly better.
Who knows. But I bet a lot of the underwater footage will look like things we've never quite seen before.
Yup, really excited on what they are doing with underwater capture.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Avatar might not be the greatest movie but it made SNL pump out this gem.

So... it balances out in the end.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
So what did people like about this movie the spectacle? I recall watching it and thinking it was average at best.

The tech and 3D experience. The movie is Star Wars prequel mediocre as an actual piece of storytelling. It was a theme park ride, essentially. The people who are skeptical that Cameron can recapture what was likely a unique moment in time, where the zeitgeist just latched on to exactly what Avatar was, absolutely have a valid point, it just tends to get buried under the dickery.

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I have no issue or problem with Avatar or the future sequels but i just wish he kept making other movies over the last decade and didn't just stop for Avatar sequels.

Battle Angel Alita made completly by Cameron could have been amazing and also just any other movies made by him could have been good

Oh well

ShimmyShakes

Nov 1, 2017
If there was ever a movie to watch in a theatre while really really high, it'll be Avatar 2.

Didn't like the first one (and not a Cameron fan in general), but I'm looking forward to this coming out. I'm super curious about the reception, and who knows, it might be fun if I'm in the mood (re: really high).

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
The tech and 3D experience. The movie is Star Wars prequel mediocre as an actual piece of storytelling. It was a theme park ride, essentially. The people who are skeptical that Cameron can recapture what was likely a unique moment in time, where the zeitgeist just latched on to exactly what Avatar was, absolutely have a valid point, it just tends to get buried under the dickery.

Absurd ass opinion

Its an objectively well made fish out of water adventure movie. Regardless of ones opinion on the well-trodden plot or alien designs it does a fantastic job of dropping you into a new world and following the characters journey into it.

Comparing it to the star wars prequels makes no sense.

Jaychrome91

Nov 4, 2018
We'll, hopefully avatar 2 is good. I enjoyed the first avatar, despite it being an average movie with amazing visuals.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
what if...

What if it's really damn bad? We won't know either way until it's released.

Personally I doubt I'll enjoy it because there was nothing about the first one I particularly liked. Avatar wasn't even a bad movie, it was just aggressively mediocre with a predictable story and to me that's almost worse than a bad movie.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Avatar is nothing like the Star Wars prequels, or most other blockbusters released since then. It's an epic, large scale adventure to another, fully-realized world. It's pure audience escapism, expressly designed for the viewers to put themselves in the shoes of the main character. In 10+ years there have actually been very few movies (if any) like it, certainly not executed as well as Avatar.

Last edited:

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Well I hope they're good, it's not like there's an abundance of these sorts of movies. A space opera trilogy that was actually planned ahead of time before shooting?? Unheard of.

But at the same time, I can't say I'm excited. The design of the Navi is pretty bleh. I didn't like how they "hook up" with their flying mounts with their ponytails, that was weird. And I'm just not sure where the story can even go. But we'll see.