• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
3.5 years, but I get where you're coming from.

Endgame is a different kind of event film imo. It's not the new film on the block that everybody is suddenly talking about like Jaws or Titanic where the interest is driven by word of mouth.

Everybody who saw Endgame (and that's an enormous 'everybody') was already invested and going to see it. It wasn't a film whose mass attendance was the result of its own crazy word of mouth. It's a film whose crazy box office was the result of films that expertly fed the hype machine leading into it.

It wasn't the same kind of event film that Avatar or Titanic or the original Star Wars was.

I was an MCU superfan and skipped Endgame in theaters.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I won't forget it exists 3 months after watching it?
Fringe-S3x12-Outlook-not-so-good.jpg

Oct 30, 2017
On one hand it's been a long time for the IP to sit dormant.

On the other hand never doubt James Cameron... the dude crushes records almost every single film he makes. Adjusted for inflation, he has as many all time top 10 grossing films as Star Wars and one more than the MCU, in fact both his films grossed more than either, and he's one man. Also, probably his "worst" film is the highest grossing. The man shits blockbuster excellence in a way nobody else can dream of, and none of it save Aliens was even an existing IP; which also highlights that he's been a writer/director on every one of his hit films.

That's... a hell of a resume. Like when this dude passes the film industry will probably be *worth less*. GodDAMN.

truly don't get this perspective.

yes cameron is a legend with an unbeatable track record. but when was the last time he attempted to simultaneously make four sequels to an IP that people demonstrably don't care about, one where virtually all of its hype was tied up in a new visual format that people also now don't really care about either?

to go from "cameron shits blockbuster excellence" to "it is a good idea to make two more avatar films" (let alone four) is just an incredible leap. avatar 2 is going to have to be extremely damn good.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the sequels are good at least. First movie was The Dark World tier. Just fine.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

yes cameron is a legend with an unbeatable track record. but when was the last time he attempted to simultaneously make four sequels to an IP that people demonstrably don't care about, one where virtually all of its hype was tied up in a new visual format that people also now don't really care about either?

to go from "cameron shits blockbuster excellence" to "it is a good idea to make two more avatar films" (let alone four) is just an incredible leap. avatar 2 is going to have to be extremely damn good.

My guy, the fact that its James Cameron is why it's a good idea.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never say the first is good. There's enough about it I don't like. My kids threw it on on Disney + the other night not knowing what it was and I'm sitting there doing something else and would glance up. I have to admit, even for some of the more boring scenes, the man's use of angles and color, and framing...there's few who do it better. And I'll be damned if the CG doesn't hold up extremely well for an 11 year old film. I'm not uninterested in seeing how these new films unfold.

I'm still wondering, who asked for more Avatar? Let me check.. 11+ years later?

It was the guy who made the biggest earning movie in history for a decade running.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
What, there's a three?

This is so weird, the first movie was so forgettable and came out ages ago, no one remembers or gives a shit anymore.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
What, there's a three?

This is so weird, the first movie was so forgettable and came out ages ago, no one remembers or gives a shit anymore.
In the lead up to the sequel, I bet Disney re-releases the first in theaters in 2029 when Covid is gone so people get a refresher.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Look how much I don't care about Avatar

Says guy claiming how much he doesn't care about Avatar for the umpteenth time

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
It sucks that these are probably going to be the last movies of Cameron's career.

The dude is 66 and will be pushing 80 by the time Avatar 5 is released.

Oct 25, 2017
What, there's a three?

These hot takes are so tiring.
No one gives a shit amymore is probably why we have an Avatar theme park, a big budget videogame in development and multiple sequels on the way. These movies will make a ton of money if the pandemic is under control.

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
People were depressed the Avatar world wasn't real after seeing it 3 times, but I guess no one cares/d about Avatar. It even got its own term: 'avatar blues' lol.

Oct 30, 2017
My guy, the fact that its James Cameron is why it's a good idea.

no, the fact that it's james cameron is why he's getting the green light to do it as a passion project. that doesn't mean it's a good idea despite all the extremely obvious evidence suggesting that, in fact, it is a bad idea.

like i said, avatar 2 really needs to be incredible for this to be remotely worth the effort. i hope it is! but the IP is a nonstarter right now and "but it's james cameron" is not a convincing argument to the contrary.

to be clear, i'm not saying these will be a financial disaster. but anyone citing T2 or titanic or... the original avatar as a comparison is high

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
If this gets great WOM I'll bite, but this is about 5-6 years past the point where this news would genuinely excite me.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I dunno, having all that space between releases actually makes it more interesting to me. I wouldn't have cared as much if 2 came two years after 1.

Its YMMV I guess. Which is weird because yeah, several other franchises have had *years* between entries and I was excited for a new release but I don't know..... I'm just not especially enthused for this. Maybe a cracking trailer or as I said before some positive WOM may boost that. We'll see.

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
People will say: 'I need to see what this man was working on for the last 13 years!' regardless of quality. They'll see it either way. Curiosity will win out in the end.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
It makes me sad that James Cameron has wasted so many years making avatar movies. Good for people that like it though

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Is Cameron ever going to give us the 4K of the original? I haven't seen it since it was in theatres and at this point I'm just waiting on the UHD.

Utilizing with different framerates has been a tool used in film since literally the very beginning of the medium when cameras were hand-cranked. It's something that can both be done subtly and to great effect. I can guarantee you've seen it in far more movies than you realize.
I'm pretty sure George Miller did it in Fury Road during some of the on foot chase sequences right?

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
I unironically like Avatar, just because my mom loves Pandora. Actually, just yesterday I asked her if she wants to watch Avatar this weekend on my OLED 🤷‍♀️

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Avatar was one of the best cinema experiences in my life, Cameron managed to create such a great immersive 3D world, every action sequence was masterfully made [especially large-scale end fight].

I'm not betting against him, he has proven too many times that he fully knows what he's doing, and he's willing to even create new technologies to achieve his vision. The stories about his underwater filming in Avatar 2 [after spectacular effort in the Abyss] just elevate my excitement.

And also, he gets so much criticism from the outside, the press coverage of Titanic was just one massive elevation of each of the project supposed faults. Press just wanted it to fail, they were so eager to enjoy its fall. All this unfounded public negativity about Avatar 2 is nothing new to him, I'm sure the project will be made without compromises.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
I did have a good time with the original movie, thin lot and all.. So I'll probably go watch it anyway, but I honestly don't know what to expect from these.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
We knew for some time that the actors were fully done with Avatar 2. Them being that far along on 3 is the real news and good news. Those 2 films will happen no matter what. It is not fully known where film 4 and 5 are but material for film 4 seems to have been filmed so they are greenlit and Disney is even more on board with the brand than Fox was. This series will likely conclude and on schedule once Avatar 2 hits cinemas. Good luck. I´ll be there.

I'm still wondering, who asked for more Avatar? Let me check.. 11+ years later?
Me. The film was up for a Best Picture and Best Director Oscar and received universal acclaim across the board.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
These hot takes are so tiring.
No one gives a shit amymore is probably why we have an Avatar theme park, a big budget videogame in development and multiple sequels on the way. These movies will make a ton of money if the pandemic is under control.

Having money being put into it is different from it being popular.

Thinking Avatar is popular in 2020 is what I call a hot take.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I remember Avatar not for the shitty movie it is, but some people feeling like we suck as a species lol

Audiences experience 'Avatar' blues - CNN.com

James Cameron's completely immersive spectacle "Avatar" may have been a little too real for some fans who say they have experienced depression and suicidal thoughts after seeing the film because they long to enjoy the beauty of the alien world Pandora.

"Ever since I went to see 'Avatar' I have been depressed. Watching the wonderful world of Pandora and all the Na'vi made me want to be one of them. I can't stop thinking about all the things that happened in the film and all of the tears and shivers I got from it," Mike posted. "I even contemplate suicide thinking that if I do it I will be rebirthed in a world similar to Pandora and the everything is the same as in 'Avatar.' "

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Hopefully it will be good. I didn't really care for tue first one. It was visually impressive but there isn't anything in the story that makes me want to go back. Regardless though it is guaranteed to be visually impressive.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I remember Avatar not for the shitty movie it is, but some people feeling like we suck as a species lol

James Cameron's completely immersive spectacle "Avatar" may have been a little too real for some fans who say they have experienced depression and suicidal thoughts after seeing the film because they long to enjoy the beauty of the alien world Pandora.

"Ever thought about volunteering at a nature reserve or campaigning for the rights of indigenous peoples?"

"I mean more like I want to fly and suck on blue titties"

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017

Lmao I was like 11 when the movie came out and I distinctly remember feeling this.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017

"Yes Cameron is a legend with an unbeatable track record" and "I don't think he can make a few successful sequels"?

OP
OP
Scullibundo

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry, Cameron made it clear a good while ago that most of the detractors in this thread are gonna love the sequels:

Basically, if you loved the first movie, you're gonna love these movies, and if you hated it, you're probably gonna hate these. If you loved it at the time, and you said later you hated it, you're probably gonna love these.
www.vanityfair.com

James Cameron on Titanic’s Legacy, the Avatar Sequels’ Progress, and the Impact of a Fox Studio Sale

James Cameron discusses Titanic, Avatar and Terminator, and that time he almost got into a fistfight with Harvey Weinstein at the Oscars.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Its impossible for me to be excited about these movies anymore with how long its taking and the constant delays, and Avatar itself wasnt something ive begged to have a sequel for after the hype wore off about a couple years later

But im confident when the actual marketing finally starts and its tangible and we get footage it will be the dopest blockbuster all year. I thought avatar 1 was gonna be shit too until the trailers finally started coming out. The man is a god at spectacle. And his track record with sequels is GOAT tbh

But yeah any updates up until its actually releasing are just meh to me rn

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Don't worry, Cameron made it clear a good while ago that most of the detractors in this thread are gonna love the sequels:

www.vanityfair.com

James Cameron on Titanic’s Legacy, the Avatar Sequels’ Progress, and the Impact of a Fox Studio Sale

James Cameron discusses Titanic, Avatar and Terminator, and that time he almost got into a fistfight with Harvey Weinstein at the Oscars.
If anything, they'll be great demos to sell OLEDs at Best Buy.

Oct 30, 2017
"Yes Cameron is a legend with an unbeatable track record" and "I don't think he can make a few successful sequels"?

i'm sure he can turn a profit on them. would be very surprised if they come close to the success of the first one, though, and even more surprised if they aren't the least culturally relevant works of his career.

i thought avatar was fine and i'm open to having my mind changed when avatar 2 comes out but it just feels like a waste of time for him. no-one is asking for this.

Maeros

Dec 21, 2017
Whats with the sarcastic one liners in this topic. DId the director do something bad i missed out on? Such negativity here.

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
Literally my most anticipated movie/s

I wonder when we will get a trailer. I am thirsty for it.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT