• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can't really say I feel anything. He wasn't even the Bond I grew up with, that'd be Pierce Brosnan, who last I heard, was NOT a wife-hitting shit.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Fuckk! Just heard about this now from my dad.

God damn. I knew the day was coming but it still hurts right in the nostalgia bone.

One of the greatest actors of not just his time, but in general.

RIP Sir Sean Connery

taro

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched The Rock yesterday. My dad is a Bond guy so I'm certain this sucks for him as well.

RIP

LV426

Nov 14, 2017
I did a james bond marathon during initial lockdown for the first time and he was master of his role. Rip legend.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah he was a piece of shit and all the posts on my Facebook celebrating him are sad. People will revere who they want to, I guess.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely embarrassing response from many people here.
Then again it's not the first time people here have celebrated abusers because they like their work.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely embarrassing response from many people here.
Then again it's not the first time people here have celebrated abusers because they like their work.
This forum can be very hypocritical. I realize it's not all the same people but folks round here seem to really pick and choose who is too problematic based on their personal interest in whatever that person was involved in

it's also funny in this case of trying to separate the art from the artist when Connery's Bond character was incredibly problematic and also slapped around women and even raped them. Bond is toxic masculinity through and through.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
This forum can be very hypocritical. I realize it's not all the same people but folks round here seem to really pick and choose who is too problematic based on their personal interest in whatever that person was involved in

it's also funny in this case of trying to separate the art from the artist when Connery's Bond character was incredibly problematic and also slapped around women and even raped them. Bond is toxic masculinity through and through.
thats kinda why bond doesnt work in tyhe modern era, you cant really get rid of those aspects of bond and make it work. the bond films will always be a inportant part of film history, but its better if the ip is put to rest.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I really dislike these posts. My knowledge of the man extends to watching him in Bond movies & Indiana Jones and a handful of other movies. I don't read follow celebrity news and a lot of what I'm reading in this thread is for the first time.
I don't care if you do. The fact is it is par for the course, when the thread is FULL of people saying it and people keep ignoring it.

Now you know, because you read the thread... that really wasn't what I was talking about was it?

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
I really dislike these posts. My knowledge of the man extends to watching him in Bond movies & Indiana Jones and a handful of other movies. I don't read follow celebrity news and a lot of what I'm reading in this thread is for the first time.

Good for you. Continue to watch the Bond movies, Indiana Jones and enjoy them.

Just don't read details of his abuse, how continual praise and ignoring of his abuse is harmful and painful to victims, and then post "Legend RIP".

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always wanted him to play a Bond villain in one of the Daniel Craig Bond movies.

I always wanted him to play Bond in one of the Daniel Craig Bond movies. He still would have been better.

In many ways he was the poster child for misogyny and toxic masculinity. While I'd like to think we have moved past that (which of course hasn't happened), I think there would still be a lot of Sean in our Fathers, Grand Fathers and ourselves as men, such was the impact that he had.

I wouldn't want to be his Bond, but I would still have the fantasy of being the Bond he potrayed, but better. Someone who got the job done and respected the women around him.

I guess that is what I take from this. Be as good as he was at what he did, but still be better.

WishIwasAwolf

Banned
Oct 24, 2020
I have to watch The Rock again, which is a spiritual sequel to Bond if you think about it...

RIP, he is a legend and the movies are old fashioned but people know better now, at least they should

Stellares

Oct 27, 2017
Yuck at the constant praise and "legend!" posts after its been posted numerous times that he was an abuser.

People idolize a man who was just as misogynistic as bond, if not more. Is there anything more representative of toxic masculinity? It gets really tiring how much hero worship is placed on actors and celebrities.

It really shows how little women are respected in male dominated spaces, especially era that is supposed to be progressive.

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I met him once in a restaurant/bar in Elba, ended up drinking with him and his party until the early hours of the morning. I honestly don't remember much about the evening as it was about 20 years ago and I had a hell of a lot to drink, but I remember he had a shit load of interesting stories.

He had a huge yacht moored in the harbour and I was hoping he'd invite me to see it but no such luck.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I met him once in a restaurant/bar in Elba, ended up drinking with him and his party until the early hours of the morning. I honestly don't remember much about the evening as it was about 20 years ago and I had a hell of a lot to drink, but I remember he had a shit load of interesting stories.

He had a huge yacht moored in the harbour and I was hoping he'd invite me to see it but no such luck.
That's awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So are you under the impression that your discomfort from having to know that an actor you admired was an abuser is worse than the discomfort abuse victims feel when they see an abuser lionized in the media and the abuse the person perpetrated never mentioned? Cause otherwise idk what else to take from this post. You can literally see what that poster is upset about on display in this thread.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
I always wanted him to play Bond in one of the Daniel Craig Bond movies. He still would have been better.

In many ways he was the poster child for misogyny and toxic masculinity. While I'd like to think we have moved past that (which of course hasn't happened), I think there would still be a lot of Sean in our Fathers, Grand Fathers and ourselves as men, such was the impact that he had.

I wouldn't want to be his Bond, but I would still have the fantasy of being the Bond he potrayed, but better. Someone who got the job done and respected the women around him.

I guess that is what I take from this. Be as good as he was at what he did, but still be better.

That's kinda where I'm at myself.

Connery is certainly a flawed man who should not be emulated. But he does remind me of my father and those of his generation. I guess that's where the attachment comes from. My dad had some real asshole tendencies himself, but he was still my dad and I loved him dearly.

Connery was a product of his time both good and bad. Fantastic actor, but definitely a misogynist who's line of thinking has no place in modern society.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Sean Connery in the afterlife.

tenor.gif

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Connery is certainly a flawed man who should not be emulated. But he does remind me of my father and those of his generation. I guess that's where the attachment comes from. My dad had some real asshole tendencies himself, but he was still my dad and I loved him dearly.

Connery was a product of his time both good and bad. Fantastic actor, but definitely a misogynist who's line of thinking has no place in modern society.
I don't get this at all. Unless your father beat women why even make this comparison? That's an insult to your father. Lots of men of this generation and the boomer generation may have expressed some level of misogyny and we have to grapple with that, but the kind of violence against women Connery perpetrated is extreme even for the time.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
I don't get this at all. Unless your father beat women why even make this comparison? That's an insult to your father. Lots of men of this generation and the boomer generation may have expressed some level of misogyny and we have to grapple with that, but the kind of violence against women Connery perpetrated is extreme even for the time.

My father was an abuser. Of my mom and myself. It's a very long story that honestly I don't feel like getting into but I would appreciate at least some form of understanding that perhaps this wasn't the response to make to my post.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

"Man of his time" isn't an excuse, especially when he was defending and still practicing that behavior well past "his time." There's really no defense for his actions.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My father was an abuser. Of my mom and myself. It's a very long story that honestly I don't feel like getting into but I would appreciate at least some form of understanding that perhaps this wasn't the response to make to my post.
Sure, that makes more sense. I'm a victim of abuse myself so I understand that pain. You don't need to explain further.

Deleted member 4375

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching From Russia With Love for the millionth time. The scene in the train with Bond and Grant is still one of my favourites of all time involving Connery. Said it before but I'll say it again: RIP to an absolute screen icon and legend. I *so* wish that he could have been in Skyfall. That would have been absolute perfection.