• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck. I just looked him up about two weeks ago to learn more about him and his life. Always been a huge fan but had never taken the proper time to understand where he came from.

Rest In Peace.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
But what's the point in giving him a (deserved) dragging in the immediate wake of his passing? Let whoever wants to grieve the news grieve.
This:
Because "our society response to abuse teaches every survivor that their trauma means nothing, it isn't worthy of holding an abuser accountable".
And cause I don't wanna look like a hypocrite when Donald Trump dies and I open up a bottle of champagne to these tunes, played LOUDLY.

As I mentioned before, all he could have done just once was to admit that he was wrong, he was ignorant, he wants to be a better person and so on, and apologize.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
RIP, he's earned a rest after a life of being cool as fuck.
tEUpVec.gifv

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Because "our society response to abuse teaches every survivor that their trauma means nothing, it isn't worthy of holding an abuser accountable".

As an abuse victim, I agree with that sentiment. Me and my mother have PTSD from our history of domestic abuse, and our abuser had a position of authority that made society frown upon my mum when she tried to speak out about it.

I just don't see how dragging him during what's the rawest moment for those that still cared about him, the immediate wake of his passing, is holding him accountable.

And cause I don't wanna look like a hypocrite when Donald Trump dies and I open up a bottle of champagne to these tunes, played LOUDLY.

good-point-gif.gif

I can't deny that I'll be allowing myself a boozy celebration when that sack of lard finally kicks the bucket.

Oct 26, 2017
Classic actor, his accent and on-screen persona will probably be iconic for a long time.

Like all Hollywood Superstars, it's difficult to separate that persona from his private identity.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
There's also people who didn't know about his abuses until just now.

...me included.

It should absolutely be brought up in his obituaries.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I was curious if there had ever been anything said about Connery's comments about women before now and there was apparently a thing in 2006 after he pulled out of an interview after the interviewer claimed he would grill him on the subject, saying he did not condone violence against women

SIR Sean Connery last night broke his silence on allegations he condoned violence against women by insisting that abuse could never be justified.

Connery: To hit a woman is wrong

There's still the allegations by his ex-wife Diane Cilento that he hit her, however

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Damn, I grew up watching him. He practically stole the show in every scene he was in. 007, Hunt for Red October, The Rock, Indiana Jones...

RIP.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna watch The Rock one more time, which I think his best performance, in his honor. Rip you magnificent man.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Just terrible news😔

He was a legend and a true icon of cinema. He was the original James Bond, Indiana Jones' father, King Arthur, Robin Hood and many other memorable characters.

Many a young lad looked-up to him and he was greatly loved and respected by everyone who knew him.

At least he passed away peacefully in his sleep in the Bahamas with his family.

His legacy will never be topped, nor forgotten.

He will truly be missed😔

Rest in peace, Sir Sean Connery🙏🍸
Sean-Connery-Best-Movies-IMDb-feature.jpg

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I was curious if there had ever been anything said about Connery's comments about women before now and there was apparently a thing in 2006 after he pulled out of an interview after the interviewer claimed he would grill him on the subject, saying he did not condone violence against women

SIR Sean Connery last night broke his silence on allegations he condoned violence against women by insisting that abuse could never be justified.

Connery: To hit a woman is wrong

There's still the allegations by his ex-wife Diane Cilento that he hit her one night, however

I mean

Darkgable

Nov 3, 2017
tenor.gif

Godspeed you legend.

As for a film recommendation, treat yourself to 'Outland' and thank me later.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
Oh rest in peace you beautiful legend! May your legacy remain un-besmirshed and live on in gloriou-
Actually, nah. Rot, you abusive cunt.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
90 is a good run and I think he'd be ill for a while, but still, a tremendous acting legend. R.I.P.

I only learned somewhat recently that Connery had been wearing a hairpiece basically the entire time he was playing Bond

Last edited:

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Im sorry but did you really have to write James Bond star? Everyone knows who Sean Connery is.

90 is a good run and I think he'd be ill for a while, but still, a tremendous acting legend. R.I.P.

I only learned somewhat recently that Connery had been wearing a hairpiece basically the entire time he was playing Bond
Yeah, he had been balding for virtually his entire adult life until it was past the point of no return when he got Bond. You can even tell in his bodybuilding photos in his pre-acting days just how much effort he was putting into delaying the inevitable with the way he was wearing his hairstyle.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
As an abuse victim, I agree with that sentiment. Me and my mother have PTSD from our history of domestic abuse, and our abuser had a position of authority that made society frown upon my mum when she tried to speak out about it.

I just don't see how dragging him during what's the rawest moment for those that still cared about him, the immediate wake of his passing, is holding him accountable.

Sorry to hear that.

I mean ultimately it is fruitless, but I think at least rather than a endless stream of hagiography and "Legend" posts, having posts alongside that emphasising the horrible impact he had on lives as an abuser may temper that stream of praise. It may even make a handful of those praising him think again about praising him so publicly elsewhere.

If that means there are ever so slightly fewer endless posts of praise out there, it might just make a tiny contribution to our society not praising abusers so much.

I like Bond films (though coincidentally Connery is fairly down the list of favourites for me), I like Last Crusade, I'll watch them again. But liking a man in some films he does should not mean it's fine to overlook his awful history of abuse. The idea that it's more important for someone to post "Legend" about a guy in some films they liked rather than try to hold abusers to account...

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
RIP you spanish peacock. This man was in so many great movies. Hell of a career. Best bond as well. What a life.

Oct 26, 2017
William of Baskerville in The Name of the Rose
is one of my favorite performances of his.

There's no denying his impressive body of classic works, even putting aside Bond and Indy.

msboo001

Oct 25, 2017
I just woke up from a dream where in the new Bond movie there was a council of all the Bonds together and Sean was at the head of the table. Damn

RIP to a legend 90 years is a hell of a run.

Yggfk

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Shitty Shitty human. So long, jackass.

You people need to check the history of those you idolize, holy shit. The vast majority here either does not know he's a known advocate for violence against women or just straight up don't care.

Be better, ResetEra. Be better.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Not time for Thanksgiving movies quite yet, but today seems like a good day to watch The Hunt For Red October.