• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was alerted by a follower on Instagram that Alphonso Dunn has put out a video (below) alleging that Jake Parker's new book Inktober All Year Long has plagiarised his Pen and Ink Drawing book published in 2015.

Jake Parker's new book will be out in September 2020, and he has posted some preview pages and video in an Instagram post.

Did Jake Parker plagiarise Alphonso Dunn's book? | Parka Blogs

Update Oct 2022: The legal case has ended and Dunn wasn't able to prove that Parker violated his copyright. More info here I was alerted by a follower on Instagram that Alphonso Dunn has put out a video (below) alleging that Jake Parker's new book Inktober All Year Long has plagiarised his Pen...

Jake Parker responds:

Call out if old

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
This issue seems to be pretty black and white to me. I hope they can ink out a solution.

Oct 26, 2017
Their similarities so far are about things I would expect to see in any book about drawing, like shading, how to hold your pencil, etc. They're also in that shitty gray area that if Jake did plagiarize, I don't think Dunn has a solid way of proving. Sucks to have your work ripped off.

I still have a lot of video left.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Watched about 10 minutes of the video so far and I'm not super convinced by his examples. There are some similarities but it's kind of what you'd expect for a book explaining drawing techniques.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I've followed Parker for years. I'd never assume he'd be the type...but then I never assumed he'd try to trademark Inktober the way he did when it became a worldwide community effort thing.

TheGameshark

Oct 27, 2017
Catonsville, MD
The visual layout and text being as similar as it is where it looks bad. However a lot of it in this grey area where much of the information Dunn has in his book has been out there for years in other resources. I have Peter Han's "dynamic bible" and there are texturing box examples in that as well.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I've followed Parker for years. I'd never assume he'd be the type...but then I never assumed he'd try to trademark Inktober the way he did when it became a worldwide community effort thing.

Yeah, I have no real familiarity with anyone involved so I'm just being very weirded out by someone using that in a book title.

Kirie

Oct 25, 2017
Alphonso Dunn seems like SUCH a lovely guy, and as someone who has only recently started to get into learning how to do art, his channel has been an invaluable source of information for me. Really sad this is happening to him

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I usually write off those hour-long rant videos, but Alphonso's vid is actually really really well done. I thought the beginning was a little slow, but I skipped to the part where he does a side-by-side comparison with Jake's flip-through vid, and it's not just the way ideas are presented but the order they are presented in. I also appreciate the last section of the video where Alphonso goes over his manuscripts and layouts, it really shows the intention behind his book.

At first I just assumed "hey, these are universal idea, therefore two books on the same subject would be similar," but listening to Alphonso's arguments, I'd say he has a reason to be upset.

Of course I don't know enough about drawing and books on drawing to be able to weigh in too heavily, but I've seen enough plagiarism drama vids and articles to know the sounds arguments from the suspect ones, and this argument is persuasive to me.

Nell

Oct 27, 2017
Don't think he plagerized, but I do have an issue with him trademarking inktober.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't knew he trademarked Inktober. I really don't know how to feel about that besides being uncomfortable.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
That video gives a pretty good idea of it. I was skipping around and at like 36 mins he starts talking about how he came up with his 3 and 6 point shading scales, and then goes into how he came up with that idea with shading on a cube and it seems very very suspect how close it is.

Plus the style is basically completely the same.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I'm a third of the way through Alphonso's video. Honestly, this is a difficult thing to call.

Yes, there are distinct similarities in the concepts presented. Yes, the order of the presentation appears to be damning. Most suspect of all, I feel, are the matching texture examples. Those raise questions.

And yet, the theory and technique that both books cover are not original. Peter Han has been teaching virtually identical content in a very similar order and format in his Dynamic Sketching classes for around a decade, maybe longer -- and he's got a book too. DrawABox.com, created and maintained by a former student of Peter's, has further popularized this information among self-taught artists.

Apart from that, there's a basic logic to the tools of visual language. You wouldn't think about texture before you think of contour. You wouldn't deal with texture without reference to form. It wouldn't make sense to cover this stuff too differently than the way it's taught in Alphonso's book.

Anyway, I'm interested to see how this develops. Alleged art theft is a serious matter. From what I've seen, this drama has already gained a lot of traction in online art communities.

I'm going to finish the video now.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
Tried googling this but found nothing. Is it because he took a community thing and sought to profit off it individually? Any explanation would be greatly appreciated!
From what I recall, he began Inktober and copyrighted it once third parties began making "official" inktober merch.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I can damn near guarantee there are dozens in not hundreds of books before these books that have damn near the same instructions, shapes, etc.
These are literally fundamentals of drawing most students will learn from teachers / professors.
There is absolutely no doubt in my mind two separate artists who are known for their drawing skills can arrive at the same order and even sketches. There are only so many words and ways to convey fundamentals like they are doing.

With that said, even if somehow the latter Inktober dude did plagiarize everything, because of the above there is no way to ever prove it.
It would be one thing if these were somehow uniquely new ways of drawing.
Since it is fundamental stuff that has been around for as long as drawing books have existed, this is a non case.