• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
That's depressing, but 1,300 jobs is more than I'd have thought for about 25 restaurants. I assume that number includes people in the supply chain and stuff.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I was impressed with his focus on trying to help kids eat better. A lot of celebrities pay lip service to charities/causes, but he seems like he really put in some yards there, successful or not.
Yeah, his old show was a guilty pleasure of mine heh. I was really talking about his culinary skills. I've tried a lot of his recipes and never came away with something I'd make again.

Oct 27, 2017
https://thetab.com/uk/2018/05/18/fi...litist-hypocrite-jamie-oliver-really-is-65693

Not a fan of Jamie Oliver, partly down to the fact he has always come across to me as a preachy tit, riddled with hypocrisy over his own food and what he thinks we should all be eating and partly down to the fact his kids have the most idiotic, horrendous names so he's clearly an idiot.

As for the restaurant chain - seems to have made the same mistake as many others and simply overreached/overestimated the demand. There were Jamie's Italians popping up in every shopping centre across the country and it's just too many, too high a rental/rates/
staff burden when people begin to stop paying lots of money for eating out.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The restaurant business is a very hard business, so this shouldn't be seen as a black mark on Jamie. It's notoriously difficult.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1490714036-giphy-5.gif

Yeah, his old show was a guilty pleasure of mine heh. I was really talking about his culinary skills. I've tried a lot of his recipes and never came away with something I'd make again.

I feel you on that. I browse his site a lot looking for inspiration, but whenever I do a recipe of his it always comes out...a bit lacking. The comments on the recipes often (hilariously so) report the same experience too. Testament to whoever photos his food and designs the site, though. I keep coming back... -_-

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I feel you on that. I browse his site a lot looking for inspiration, but whenever I do a recipe of his it always comes out...a bit lacking. The comments on the recipes often (hilariously so) report the same experience too. Testament to whoever photos his food and designs the site, though. I keep coming back... -_-
His 30 Minute Meals and the other, similar, collections he did were hilarious. Sure, you can make the recipes in 30 minutes if you're already an experienced chef with a fully-stocked kitchen and a bunch of obscure ingredients and tools.

That's my main beef with Jamie, to be honest; he's likeable enough, but he straddles this weird line between being a pro chef and being a "propa geezer" man of the people and his food just doesn't have that much appeal to either camp. Foodies will always want something more, something deeper; average folks will find his recipes too complex.

EDIT: More on topic, chain restaurants seem to be in a bad spot in the UK in general. The big cities are all experiencing a real resurgence of successful, stand-out, one-off restaurants, making the idea of chains a lot less appealing - at least to me.

Belias

Oct 27, 2017
Tonight on kitchen nightmares, Chef Ramsay visits a failing british restaurant chain.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I've been in a Jamie Oliver restaurant in Dublin Ireland and I was very disappointed. It was one of the worst Italian restaurant I've done.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
BUt of course its the "company" thats bankrupt. The celebrity chef has made bank from it.

Then the cycle will start again.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The Italian chain that was located around the corner from me closed down last month. It was decent but honestly nothing more than that.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Years ago I took my partner to one of his restaurants and ordered entrees and mains. The bread and dip platter was garbage. We eventually got our meals, my partner getting a tuna pasta thing and I ordered the Wagyu plate. The tuna pasta was pretty average and the Wagyu was 4 paper thin slices of tasteless beef that was eaten in two bites, hidden under salad. $68 AUD/ $48US later and we were still hungry. The waiter told asked us if everything was alright and I told him we were still both very hungry even after entrees and mains. He suggested we ordered more.

We went to another restaurant and filled up on ramen and a sushi platter for 35 bucks AUD instead.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of Jamie Oliver, partly down to the fact he has always come across to me as a preachy tit, riddled with hypocrisy over his own food and what he thinks we should all be eating and partly down to the fact his kids have the most idiotic, horrendous names so he's clearly an idiot.
You made me curious....jesus, what was he thinking.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
My GF received a voucher for a meal for two at one of his restaurants a couple of weeks ago, which we haven't used yet. Gonna try and get in on Thursday while the going's good.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If he's partly the reason they changed to a low sugar version of coco pops here I can't say I feel bad at all.

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
That's too bad. I like the one show he had when he went to West Virginia and taught the kids about the dangers of obesity.
West Virginia also has much higher rates of smoking and drug abuse than most anywhere else.

Oct 25, 2017
You know, somehow we found ourselves when travelling in Rotterdam at Jamie Oliver's Italian chain. Must have been deliriously tired, but we had a pretty solid meal.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Poppy Honey Rosie

Daisy Boo Pamela

Petal Blossom Rainbow

Buddy Bear Maurice

River Rocket Blue Dallas

What the hell. Did Jamie just get a children's dictionary and throw darts at it to come up with these?

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its a HARD business. Its an over populated business. Its often an over thought business, which leads to higher costs / lower profits.

Plus, to me, Italian Food is just about the dumbest thing to spend money on - its so easy to make pretty good italian food (pasta, can of diced tomatoes, can of pureed tomatoes, throw in the meats, cook it all together, put it over pasta, sprinkle cheese, BOOM, italian). The only cuisine I'll ever gladly pay for is asian ones, like Thai, Vietnamese, sushi or traditional chinese. I can't really make them.

Also, Jaime Oliver, doesn't really scream ITALIAN to me. Farm to table organic fine casual-fine dining is where I'd put him.

Oct 27, 2017
Ate there once and it was alright. Bang average.

There is just no reason to pay more than you need to or go for "names" when it comes to Italian food. I live in a small village a 30 second walk from a tiny bistro that does one of the nicest lasagna's I've ever had. Pretty sure anyone who eats out even semi regularly will have their own favourites that aren't chains too.

His 30 Minute Meals and the other, similar, collections he did were hilarious. Sure, you can make the recipes in 30 minutes if you're already an experienced chef with a fully-stocked kitchen and a bunch of obscure ingredients and tools.

That's my main beef with Jamie, to be honest; he's likeable enough, but he straddles this weird line between being a pro chef and being a "propa geezer" man of the people and his food just doesn't have that much appeal to either camp. Foodies will always want something more, something deeper; average folks will find his recipes too complex.

EDIT: More on topic, chain restaurants seem to be in a bad spot in the UK in general. The big cities are all experiencing a real resurgence of successful, stand-out, one-off restaurants, making the idea of chains a lot less appealing - at least to me.

I think you've nailed it. He's a watered down version for either side. His "Simple Baked Lasagna" still cracks me up, though. Categorized as 'Not Too Tricky' it has 21 ingredients, 12 steps, and takes 3+ hours. This fucking guy. Hahaha.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Poppy Honey Rosie

Daisy Boo Pamela

Petal Blossom Rainbow

Buddy Bear Maurice

River Rocket Blue Dallas

What the hell. Did Jamie just get a children's dictionary and throw darts at it to come up with these?

These names are unquestionably "unique", but I would rather have these names than something intolerably plain like "rob" or "Steve".

Also, if you cut out the horse shit and just look at the first names, they aren't actually that bad (except for petal)

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BUt of course its the "company" thats bankrupt. The celebrity chef has made bank from it.

Then the cycle will start again.
Yes, having a company that multiple people own and invest in for a particular idea is how business basically works. You'd prefer he personally went bankrupt? I don't get your post. Not every venture can be successful.
These names are unquestionably "unique", but I would rather have these names than something intolerably plain like "rob" or "Steve".

Also, if you cut out the horse shit and just look at the first names, they aren't actually that bad (except for petal)
Yeah, I don't see the issue. Y'all should look up common Thai nicknames if you want to see some fun names.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
Yes, having a company that multiple people own and invest in for a particular idea is how business basically works. You'd prefer he personally went bankrupt? I don't get your post. Not every venture can be successful..

I imagine that the celebrity chef made a lot of money from this venture.

The "business" is now insolvent, 1000 employees without jobs and numerous creditors that will not be paid for goods and services they provided.

The chef is a multi millionaire, made millions from this business, washes his hands of it.

You think this is right and fair?

I'll give it 6 months before a new company is set up and the cycle starts again.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

The "business" is now insolvent, 1000 employees without jobs and numerous creditors that will not be paid for goods and services they provided.

The chef is a multi millionaire, made millions from this business, washes his hands of it.

I'll give it 6 months before a new company is set up and the cycle starts again.

eehh... yes? He at least gave those people jobs, of course he shouldn't abuse them or anything, but he made the investment and made bank... I also bet that he made most of his fortune when the business went well and made very little during this last phase.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

I am surprised anyone in this day and age takes issue with idea of bankruptcy. We have nearly 3000 years of human history that shows that the alternatives do not work. Jamie employed over a thousand people and his creditors were well aware of the risk. They will be able to write off the losses. Bankruptcy is a safety valve.

If in 6 months he launches a new business then so be it. He will employee more people and find more creditors that want to invest in his brand/idea.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I went to his Restaurant in Square One Mississagua Ontario when it first opened.

Loved the decor. Food came out and iWas like: WTF am I eating? How on earth can any chef put this out?

It was horrible. Every dish felt cheap and tasteless.

So not surprised.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
I am surprised anyone in this day and age takes issue with idea of bankruptcy. We have nearly 3000 years of human history that shows that the alternatives do not work. Jamie employed over a thousand people and his creditors were well aware of the risk. They will be able to write off the losses. Bankruptcy is a safety valve.

If in 6 months he launches a new business then so be it. He will employee more people and find more creditors that want to invest in his brand/idea.

Which he keeps repeating, and has amassed a quarter billion.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I think you've nailed it. He's a watered down version for either side. His "Simple Baked Lasagna" still cracks me up, though. Categorized as 'Not Too Tricky' it has 21 ingredients, 12 steps, and takes 3+ hours. This fucking guy. Hahaha.
21? Where they counting each individual tomato?