• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Jaden also had Winged Kuriboh, which wins on pure adorableness.

VXboJ7V.jpg

OP
OP
Jadow

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
Wait what? US never got the 4th season? I remember watching the series in japanese way back in the day so I never realized they never brought it over

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of hair color, Yusei's is the most normal. Dude just looks like he has blonde highlights. Jaden would either have to have naturally two colored hair or instead of highlights he'd have had to have died the center of his head a lighter color.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Yeah his season 4 look was dope as hell
GX-Jap version is underrated

Last edited:

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Where does Shouma factor in all this?

yu-gi-oh-ocg-structures-protagonist.jpg

He's the protagonist of the new Gen 6 manga, turns out VRAINS is so shit, they won't even bother with a manga adaptation after they pulled the plug on the anime.

Fun fact: Despite him having an OG Duel Disk, it somehow has the Extra Monster Zone.
7zoFXsQ.jpg

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Where does Shouma factor in all this?

yu-gi-oh-ocg-structures-protagonist.jpg

He's the protagonist of the new Gen 6 manga, turns out VRAINS is so shit, they won't even bother with a manga adaptation after they pulled the plug on the anime.
Honestly probably right in the middle
ALso I wish we got official translations for this, especially given that the current scanlations are super low quality. It's been pretty entertaining so far and I actually love that it's aimed at portraying a more realistic version of how people play the actual real life card game (The OCG to be specific, which might be why Viz hasn't picked it up)

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Aside from Jaden vs Yugi, have any of the other protagonists dueled each other? Do these even still take place in the same world?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Aside from Jaden vs Yugi, have any of the other protagonists dueled each other? Do these even still take place in the same world?
5Ds take place in the future of that world, and there was the bonds beyond time movie explicitly linking them together. The rest not really, though arc-v does include alternate versions of the worlds from GX, 5Ds, and ZeXal complete with it's own version of some of their characters like Jack Atlas, Crow, Alexis (Asuka), and Kite (Kaito)

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
GX Season 4 wasn't skipped because it was "too dark." Honestly, there wasn't really anything in that season that was anywhere near as dark as some of the stuff from Battle City, DOMA, GX Season 3, 5Ds, etc. and all those were butchered dubbed just fine. Like I said earlier in the thread, it was because Konami & co. wanted them to jump ahead to 5D's.

Wait.. Yugi is supposed to be a goth? How did i never realised that
Dude isn't really *that* goth, but he wears leather straps and eyeliner and stuff like demons, fiends, the occult and the like is the closest thing his deck has to a theme, especially circa Duelist Kingdom.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Honestly probably right in the middle
ALso I wish we got official translations for this, especially given that the current scanlations are super low quality. It's been pretty entertaining so far and I actually love that it's aimed at portraying a more realistic version of how people play the actual real life card game (The OCG to be specific, which might be why Viz hasn't picked it up)

I also love that it finally leaves high tech shit behind.

Just a kid playing cards....It's refreshing

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
5Ds take place in the future of that world, and there was the bonds beyond time movie explicitly linking them together. The rest not really, though arc-v does include alternate versions of the worlds from GX, 5Ds, and ZeXal complete with it's own version of some of their characters like Jack Atlas, Crow, Alexis (Asuka), and Kite (Kaito)
Yuya fought several alternate versions of 5D's, GX and ZEXAL characters as Arc-V is some DC Crisis Multiverse shit.

He does not however, fight the protagonists of those shows
Got it. Thanks!

So, then, in theory, is Yugi still the best duelist ever? How would you rank them in terms of dueling skill?

Yugi > ??? > Jaden > ???

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got it. Thanks!

So, then, in theory, is Yugi still the best duelist ever? How would you rank them in terms of dueling skill?

Yugi > ??? > Jaden > ???
Yugi is literally constantly manipulating reality so that he can top deck the right cards at key moments with his Millenium Puzzle. I mean some other protagonists have done similar things (Yuma from ZeXal's shining draw is explicitly making the card you need most at the moment, and Yusei's done the same at key moments with Savior dragon (majestic dragon in english) but he couldn't do it reliably)

But honestly it's hard to compare. If we said who wins with just the cards they have actively used I'd say Yugi probably loses because his deck is trash and modern cards are just way, way better. Honestly, even if we allow the god cards to be the busted anime versions that are practically unoutable without using your own, he'd still probably lose because he'd never actually be able to get 3 tributes to bring them out against the later decks

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair he also has busted ass monster like Firewall Dragon and Link monsters that the other heroes can't compete with.

Yugi's deck is kinda terrible
I mean Firewall is busted, but he literally used it in like 2 duels and he never even used the actual busted effect lol. It's also a card that's mostly busted when used in specific ways in conjunction with cards he doesn't use, so I'm not sure if it's that much of a point in his favor. If we wanted to make the best possible deck with any anime characters cards and only with cards we knew they had though, I'd go soulburner any day since Salamangreats have a lot of fantastic cards and don't need much out of archetype support

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The firs three series take place in the same world. No other protagonists have dueled though.

Got it. Thanks!

Yugi > ??? > Jaden > ???
It's hard to rank the protagonists because a lot of them were either OP in their own series or had powers.

Unfortunately, the best duelist is Yusaku from Gen 6, he has the power of terrible writing that makes him the only protagonist with no loses.
Yusei technically never lost.

Is Arc V any good? It sounds interesting
Arc-V starts good, but becomes extremely bad to the point where it's borderline unwatchable.

To be fair he also has busted ass monster like Firewall Dragon and Link monsters that the other heroes can't compete with.

Yugi's deck is kinda terrible
Yugi's deck makes sense in context with the original series, but they added a lot of anime exclusive cards as well that weren't in the manga. The game is different now though with archtypes being so big though.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The firs three series take place in the same world. No other protagonists have dueled though.

It's hard to rank the protagonists because a lot of them were either OP in their own series or had powers.

Yusei technically never lost.

Arc-V starts good, but becomes extremely bad to the point where it's borderline unwatchable.

Yugi's deck makes sense in context with the original series, but they added a lot of anime exclusive cards as well that weren't in the manga. The game is different now though with archtypes being so big though.
His first duel against Kiryu was clearly a loss, he had no way of stopping the attack and would've lost all his life points if his d-wheel hadn't broken at the perfect time because if he actually lost then the show basically ends right there

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
'Ey dere, I don' know nuttin' about dese mooks. Wake me up when da real MVP o' Yoogie Oh gets his own series: Joey Wheelah ovah heah.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Yugi is literally constantly manipulating reality so that he can top deck the right cards at key moments with his Millenium Puzzle. I mean some other protagonists have done similar things (Yuma from ZeXal's shining draw is explicitly making the card you need most at the moment, and Yusei's done the same at key moments with Savior dragon (majestic dragon in english) but he couldn't do it reliably)

But honestly it's hard to compare. If we said who wins with just the cards they have actively used I'd say Yugi probably loses because his deck is trash and modern cards are just way, way better. Honestly, even if we allow the god cards to be the busted anime versions that are practically unoutable without using your own, he'd still probably lose because he'd never actually be able to get 3 tributes to bring them out against the later decks
Yugi would just win through so OP anime exclusive combo even if his deck is outdated lol.

His first duel against Kiryu was clearly a loss, he had no way of stopping the attack and would've lost all his life points if his d-wheel hadn't broken at the perfect time because if he actually lost then the show basically ends right there
Yusei should have and would have lost, but the writers didn't want him to because he isn't allowed to actually lose.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Plus he lost to Jack in a flashback and is shown to need help from the other Signers several times.

Yusaku literally solo'd his entire show

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yugi would just win through so OP anime exclusive combo even if his deck is outdated lol.
I mean maybe if we're talking duelist kingdom rules where winning is determined by bullshit, but if they're playing any other rule set and he isn't allowed to use completely new cards he loses. Actually that brings up the point of what rule set they'd use. I'd assume Vrains master duel rules since it's the only way to accomodate links where everyone can play all their cards, but it puts all the older characters at a major disadvantage. Even if we ignore those, it still matters because even battle city rules were different from later rule sets with fusion monsters needing to wait a turn to attack

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I mean maybe if we're talking duelist kingdom rules where winning is determined by bullshit, but if they're playing any other rule set and he isn't allowed to use completely new cards he loses. Actually that brings up the point of what rule set they'd use. I'd assume Vrains master duel rules since it's the only way to accomodate links where everyone can play all their cards, but it puts all the older characters at a major disadvantage. Even if we ignore those, it still matters because even battle city rules were different from later rule sets with fusion monsters needing to wait a turn to attack
I wasn't really being serious, but Yugi's deck in both Duelist Kingdom and Battle City was built around having several combos to get him out of any situations, which the writers(including Takahashi) loved to take advantage of. It made the fillers really funny as well with infinite attack monsters, not losing when you lose, and stuff like Berserker Soul lol.

Rules wise it would just be the version in the newest series.

The GX 4kids dub was an abridged series

This video being 12 years old now is crazy.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
VRAINS is already over? It had 120 episodes? The protagonist literally never lost once?!