• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Are you for real? People, including Jason saying leaks aren't valuable news when they very clearly are is a joke.

Nowhere did I say writers aren't allowed to be credited for their articles. You're puling that out of nowhere.

Leaks are news. Journalists report news. Jason, as a journalist, is allowed to report news. That doesn't mean journalists are leakers, though.

The problem is that some people are equating standard article crediting to multi-million trailers and making all sorts of fallacies. The "We should improve society somewhat" one in particular. His point is valid, and his employer should be irrelevant.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Eh, at the other end hes right, in the other i bet people making the things arent happy but what are you going to do?

It is what it is

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Man, some of you folks saying stuff like "you and Jason have no right to judge people!" are a little much.

Saying that you shouldn't get too caught up in product marketing is not a judgement.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Gamers so desperately want their hobby to have the same clout as movies and other art forms without having to abide by any of the responsibility that comes with it.

Again, other industries don't act like this, there's no reason why we as consumers still have this draconian stance towards this stuff.
It's why I find myself rolling my eyes at a lot of this shit.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
He. Says. It. In. The. Tweet. In. The. OP. And. Claims. It's. Unhealthy. To. Feel. That. Way. Stop. Being. A. Kiss. Ass.

It is unhealthy though. Jason, Jim Sterling and several other journalists have wrote about pre-order culture, biliion-dollar marketing budgets, etc, being bad for the industry.

He's not saying you can't enjoy E3, but he is saying the way the industry is using E3 is questionable.

Jun 12, 2018
I wish this thread could be updated with the posts from the other thread where all the devs have elaborated on the emotional and financial loss that comes with these leaks, so some of these posters here can be more educated when discussing the topic.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
My problem is less Jason leaking stuff and more him acting like he is doing this big service and fighting the corporations by doing it.

"I'm fighting corporations by publishing marketing material two days early. Consumers protected!"

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I'll help you: he's right.

This is manipulative marketing. And game fans take the ball and run when it comes to hyping publishers' products for free.

I'm sorry but it's beyond depressing to be upset that you will know what the commercial is for before you watch it.

Thanks for speaking on behalf of me, random internet user

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It is unhealthy though. Jason, Jim Sterling and several other journalists have wrote about pre-order culture, biliion-dollar marketing budgets, etc, being bad for the industry.
No, it's not unhealthy to be excited about surprise reveals.

But hey, I guess by that logic it's unhealthy for people to not want to be spoiled about any product. So unhealthy how people wanted to watch those last two Avengers movies without knowing what happens first. So. Unhealthy.

People should just stop buying anything entertainment related, really. That's just supporting billion dollar industries.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
My problem is less Jason leaking stuff and more him acting like he is doing this big service and fighting the corporations by doing it.

"I'm fighting corporations by publishing marketing material two days early. Consumers protected!"

Sounds like he killed your dog or something.

Jason does care about the people in the corporations too. He writes about them all the time. It's just that the current system has its faults that lead to the usual industry problems affecting devs.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Pretty simple logic. If your job is to maintain secrecy and generate hype on it then it just goes and gets leaked nullifies the hard work angle.

Treat employees with dignity, give them livable wages and enough hours in the week to have a life? See if that helps keep secrets under wraps.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Okay, I there's some stuff I'm not conveying well. Like I replied to someone else, I agreed that I don't consider leaks spoilers. It's not about that.

It's about how it changes the experience of watching it all together. Once leaks are out there that's it. It changes how people react as a whole. That's why I just accept them and don't cut myself off and go on media blackout. It's not about something being revealed to me personally, I'm there for the party.

It's a little more fun without leaks, but they happen and they're going to keep happening. Nothing I can do about it. I wish they wouldn't, that's all.

And well, we're not suckers in a corporate machine for wanting to have a *little* more fun at the party. That line that's been going around is real silly.
Yeah i dont agree that everyone who likes keeping things secret is a sucker for a corporate machine and I hope I didn't come off like thats what i was insinuating. I agree about it not being spoilers and it more about just enjoying the surprise. My only contention is, whether or not leaks exist, everyone has the ability to avoid seeing them if they choose to.
Marketing plans are much more than just the marketing themselves, and what works for one type of product will probably not work for another. I can't specifically say why gaming marketing favours the marketing schemes it does, but considering this is "billion dollar marketing," I highly doubt that the people in charge haven't at least considered the possibility of moving to something different.
I totally agree. But like I said if theyre evaluating other marketing schemes and determining that doing things this particular way is the most cost efficient model, whats the problem?

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere in Zanarkand

But hey, I guess by that logic it's unhealthy for people to not want to be spoiled about any product. So unhealthy how people wanted to watch those last two Avengers movies without knowing what happens first. So. Unhealthy.

People should just stop buying anything entertainment related, really. That's just supporting billion dollar industries.

The "announcement" of said entertainment artifact is different than experiencing the artifact itself.

I'm wary of spoilers, but this isn't a fair or strong comparison.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, they're both right here, because though it seems like they're talking about the same thing at first, they're really talking about completely different aspects of the situation.

As Cory points out, developers do work tremendously hard on this stuff.

However, at the same time, it's also a tragic fact that regardless of whether these games are spoiled or not, the vast majority of people don't really care about the hard work that goes into these games one way or the other. And that's the unhealthy culture that Jason is talking about.

For proof of this, just look at stuff like Metroid: Federation Force. That game wasn't leaked, to the best of my recollection, certainly not in any way that a substantial amount of people actually payed attention to in any case. Yet, nevermind even the work put into the reveal itself, did it not being leaked make people suddenly care about the game itself or the hard work that must have been put into making it in any way whatsoever?

Hell no! People were hyped for a new mainline Metroid, starring Samus as the main character, and so when Federation Force was revealed instead, when it was revealed that we weren't getting a mainline Metroid, but some spin-off games, because of precisely that culture that Jason is talking about, people lost their minds from the minute it was revealed, and it never recovered. As I recall, there were of course even petitions trying to get the thing canceled/begging Nintendo to release a mainline Metroid and all that. No sign of people caring one iota about the effort the devs put into making the game and the care and respect they almost certainly do have for the franchise, nevermind the work on the trailer/reveal for the game. It just wasn't mainline Metroid, it wasn't what "the hype" demanded, therefore it was trash regardless of all else.

So in that particular case, I have to wonder, would perhaps Federation Force actually having been leaked perhaps been at least a bit better for it, so expectations could have been kept in check for it? Like, maybe it would have made a difference, maybe it wouldn't. But if it were to be leaked, the reaction certainly couldn't have been any worse than the actual reaction to the Federation Force reveal was, because the reaction was just an absolute disaster and it's hard to imagine how it could have been worse. So it definitely seems more like a case-by-case situation to me and definitely not something that's purely black and white.

And of course as a big Nintendo fan, I know that isn't the only example of that either. Another one that immediately comes to mind is Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival. Similar thing happened. It's E3 and all that, people get hyped up, and start expecting stuff like Animal Crossing Wii U version and stuff. And so, when Amiibo Festival is revealed instead, same thing, people lose their minds over a fucking charming and innocent virtual-board/party game of all things. Again, it wasn't leaked, but that didn't make people care one iota about the effort that went into the reveal or making the game itself. To the point where to this day it apparently still has that reputation since it was one of the more popular responses to the recent "what's the worst spin-off game of all time" thread.

And I ain't going to sit here and act like Amiibo Festival was the best thing since sliced bread, since obviously, it's not. It's definitely a flawed game, what with the Amiibo implementation and needing to scan the things each turn to move, and being local-multiplayer only due to that, and stuff like that. But worst spin-off of all time? I think not. Like, CD-i Zelda or Mario Pinball Land, it's not. At least Amiibo Festival actually did what it set out to do, unlike say Mario Pinball Land's terrible physics and tables which makes it bad at the primary thing it sets out to be, a pinball game. Whereas Amiibo Festival, sure, it made silly decisions with the Amiibo-implementation and is nowhere close to being the best party-board game, but in no way is it the worst either and it really is what it sets out to be outside of that, just a charming board game meant to be played with friends. I've never actually played the thing myself, but just from watching FlareRDB and Citrine playing it on Twitch, I know there's definitely fun to be had with it among friends just due to stuff like the implementation of the Stalk Market at the game being the primary thing the games' based around, and knowing that you could always have the possibility to have either fantastic or absolutely god-awful luck with turnip prices at any given point, so that you never know what's going to happen. And of course, to be clear, it's not going to be most people's cup-of-tea, and that's fine, I wouldn't expect it to be, since it's definitely not meant to be, but calling it worst spinoff ever just because it's not suited for most people and it's not a mainline Animal Crossing and it's not trying to be something it was never trying to be to begin with is something entirely different.

Now of course, if it's not clear enough already, I'm not saying Amiibo Festival was an amazing or even a great game, or stuff like that. Those are not exact the words I'd use to describe it. But to be lumped in with stuff like Mario Pinball Land, like it is in that thread? That's going too far in the other direction, and is another symptom of what Jason appears to be talking about: that being excited for games is fine, and there's nothing wrong with that, because that's indeed fun and everyone like that as he himself says, but it can easily get taken out of control, and when you have Amiibo Festival being put on the level of "worst spin-off of all time" with games that barely even work due to, in no small part, how the game was revealed, how people were clearly expecting a new console Animal Crossing, didn't get it, and took it out on Amiibo Festival, and certainly didn't care about the amount of work that nonetheless went into its game/reveal/etc, that certainly seems to more support Jason's argument is all I'm getting at and unlike what Cory implies, people not being spoiled on it didn't make anyone suddenly care about the developers efforts (if anything, on the contrary, and it would be possible to argue that like Federation Force, had something like Amiibo Festival been leaked early as part of a huge leak or something, that could have helped temper expectations a bit, at least it couldn't have gone any worse than it did especially given as it still has that reputation to this day if threads like that are any indication. And of course, TO BE CLEAR ABOUT THIS, less anyone misconstrue my words hear, this is NOT an argument for any and every game to be leaked, far from it, but rather that things are hardly black-and-white but rather it's the type of thing that more is a case-by-case basis and depends on the unique situation each game is in, since each game is different and has unique considerations and what applies to one game cannot so easily be said to apply to another, if that makes sense).

Or alternatively, we can go a completely different direction. According to Cory's argument, just leaking stuff ruins the hard-work that developers put into this stuff, and that's no good, and indeed, for many games, that may be true. But of course even there, there reality isn't so black and white and in many cases things are much more complicated than that.

The case-in-point example of this that comes to mind off the top of my head right now is Anthem. Like, Anthem's troubled development is well-known at this point. And of course that troubled development included the E3 reveal trailer being rushed and full of stuff that they had no idea if they would actually be able to put in the final game or not, with the reveal being so rushed that like the final name of the game, Anthem, was apparently settled on just before E3 and apparently most of the team seemed unaware of that change, and yes, them having to crunch super-hard just to make that much happen and take time away from working on the game itself to make that reveal happen. Now obviously I can't speak for any of the developers at Bioware, but I can't imagine that's the way anyone would want their game to be revealed to begin with, whether it's spoiled or not, because it obviously doesn't benefit them, the players or anyone to have things go down in such a way, especially given the state the game actually released in. They nonetheless obviously worked hard, incredibly hard to do what they could and gave it their best shot, but I can't imagine how things went being how they actually wanted things to go, releasing a trailer they weren't able to make the game live up to, like that.

Now of course, this isn't to say all games are in a situation like Anthem's. Obviously not. But if I must pick between Jason's and Cory's positions here, it makes me more cynical towards Cory's since it's impossible to know what developers do or don't want and most of them aren't involved directly with marketing decisions and have no say over stuff like that to begin with and so it's impossible to know if they really even care about the E3 trailers as such to begin with or would prefer focusing on the game itself and prioritizing making that as best as possible and focusing on making it in tip-top shape first versus haivng to rush and crunch away from the game itself to make trailers and demos specifically for the E3 venue that many not even be representative of the final game, again, not that most developers even are likely to have much of a say one way or the other but just gotta due what they're told regardless and it's just kinda is what is is.

And as stuff like the Federation Force and Amiibo Festival examples show, among like countless other games in similar situations, even when games aren't leaked, it's not like that suddenly affects whether people care about them or not and on the contrary, the hype building to insane levels and not being satisfied can just lead to backlash against perfectly alright games (to be clear, not amazing, but alright, and not deserving of the sheer amounts of hatred they got in any case from day 1), just things that weren't what people expected, but that not mattering at all because of what Jason's talking about, the exact type of unhealthy attitude toward games he brings up, and well, hell has no fury like a nerd scorned apparently, and games like those certainly never recovered from that, with not a single iota of people caring a single bit about the effort that went into making them being shown just because they didn't get leaked.

And so, I dunno. Cory is nonetheless right that tons of effort goes into this stuff regardless, but at the same time the tragic fact of the matter is that people just typically don't care about that stuff one way or the other, whether a game is a complete surprise, whether it's leaked, or anywhere in between. Cory's nonetheless right that hard work goes into that regardless and that should be acknowledged and realized and appreciated far more than it is, but the tragic fact of the matter is that it's not, and that whether a game's leaked or not doesn't really change that one way or the other because most people don't care about the real people behind these games much to begin with, and so to use the fact that real paper are indeed behind these games to defend stuff not being leaked just seems kind of cynical to me in that kinda way because the simple matter is that most people don't care about that stuff whether a game's leaked or not.

And if he's trying to make an argument that should be changed, and I do agree with that, well, in that case, it shouldn't matter if a game's leaked or not because it definitely remains true that lots of talented people worked incredibly hard on these games, and that doesn't change whether a game's leaked or not and people should appreciate that hard work regardless of whether a game is leaked or not, as that hard work doesn't just vanish or anything. So the more I think about it, the weirder of an argument it seems. Because on the one hand, Cory acknowledges that if a game's leaked, that may indeed take away from hard work that was done on the game, and that shouldn't be the case, which is a tragic but nonetheless real truth. But nonetheless, if you're going the sad-but-true route, it's also sad-but-true that most people just don't care regardless, whether a game is a complete secrete, completely leaked, or anywhere in between, and that itself is the problem that needs to be solved and addressed here in that case, the lack of respect or care that people have towards the products they consume in general, being happy to enjoy and consume these games but not caring about the well-being or the hard-work from all the very real people that lead to those products being able to become real in the first place, it's those kinda attitudes and lack of caring about the faces behind the products in general that are the problem here, and nothing specifically to do with leaks or games not being leaked or anything, as that's not really the root problem in the end (and thus the cases of stuff like Metroid: Federation Force).

And of course, to be clear once more, lest this be interpreted otherwise, this is not in any way an argument for games to be leaked willy-nilly, that each and every leak is okay, and that they're never a problem, or anything of the sort. Rather, this just feels like something that's very much not black-and-white at all but rather is a case-by-case basis that really depends on the reality and situation of each specific game and depending on those kinda specific individual factors and considerations the answer could be very different for each game, and it just doesn't make sense to like try to apply one general policy to everything because the game industry is just too large and diverse for that and just too much depends on the specific situation of each game.

Of course, that might not be a very satisfying answer to come up with or say, and it's one that certainly takes a lot longer to explain than one like "leaks are always good" or "leaks should never happen," as this post itself is testament to, but nonetheless that's how I feel I guess: that this is very much not black-and-white and really depends on the situation of each individual game and what exactly we're talking about when it comes to a specific game, how it was or wasn't affected, what was or wasn't leaked, and just so many factors like that that just don't make any sense to speak in generalities or anything but the specific case of each individual game, if that makes sense.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty simple logic. If your job is to maintain secrecy and generate hype on it then it just goes and gets leaked nullifies the hard work angle.

Treat employees with dignity, give them livable wages and enough hours in the week to have a life? See if that helps keep secrets under wraps.
Even if you work hard to keep stuff under wraps there are a million things that could go wrong and not all of them are "your" fault.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
That's his #1 priority and anyone who thinks otherwise is foolish and delusional.

I get that if a leak happens other sites are going to report on it so no reason for him not to as well, HOWEVER saying people who don't want to be spoiled about E3 announcements before E3 and get upset/annoyed if they do are wrong for feeling that way is complete and utter bullshit.
exactly

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
We ignoring the ones siding with Jason too?

Such as? I've literally seen zero devs yet supporting your stance that "no devs are ever hurt by leaks"; feel free to point out any. In the meantime, in addition to Barlog's tweet, here's a few verified devs claiming the exact opposite just from the first page of this thread (bolded emphasis mine):

It is completely disrespectful and unprofessional. Especially when leaked by colleagues, former colleagues, partners or former partners, or journalists that have signed multiple NDAs in their career and know how things work and how much sensitive things are where potential partnerships could literally be ruined due to a leak, and so on.

Usually though, AAA companies have material prepared if things leak, with multiple degrees of severity along with relevant assets and communication strategies.

• Its a bummer for morale. You're working hard, hoping that you're gonna blow someones mind (we delight watching reaction posts or videos) and then because someone was an asshole or was careless your fans learn about it in a very unoptimal way and make assumptions
  • Strictly business? A lot of money can be lost by leaks. Not going to give you exact numbers but enough money to make you go HOLY FUCK WHAT

If you're NDA'd and you're not whistleblowing, you're an asshole for leaking.
On the other hand, it's the journalist's right (and sometimes responsibility) to report it, so I don't think any blame should be on their side.

That said, I've seen people cry over their work being leaked. So yeah, fuck the leakers.

Again; no one is hurt by this.

Want to tell that to the people above?

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Sounds like he killed your dog or something.

Jason does care about the people in the corporations too. He writes about them all the time. It's just that the current system has its faults that lead to the usual industry problems affecting devs.

Nah, I just find his attitude incredibly annoying.

I think pre-orders and E3 are incredibly dumb. But you can choose to not partake. And I recognize that it does give people joy. Yes, they are being sold a product but it's harmless. A surprise video game announcement is harmless. And the worst thing that comes from a pre-order getting a game you don't like.

That said is "I know better" stance coupled with clearly profiting from this whole circus and then acting like leaking stuff is somehow okay because it's connected to the vile shit that happens in the industry? Give me a break.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
Jason works for Kotaku, and Kotaku -- and Jason as an employee of Kotaku -- benefit from increased traffic, some of which is likely due to reporting on E3 details leaked prior to the conference.

I see no one arguing this point, including Jason, but it gets brought up every few posts so I thought I'd help everyone out and just lay it out there so we can accept facts for facts and move on.

It also has literally nothing to do with his posts.
Disagree. Of course, it has to do with his post.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Movies and games ain't the same. People invest more time and more money on games. That's why they get more obsessed and more invested themselves. A movie is about paying 5-10$ for 2 hours of fun. A game costs up to 10 times that and will keep you occupied for weeks even months. And therefore the competition is fiercer. The element of surprise and hype is very important. I don't necessarily agree or disagree with any stance, just saying that it's not the same.
Btw imagine if Valve said they are working on Half Life 3 then stay silent for 5-6 years, the hardcore fans would get crazy to the point of personally attacking and threatening the key people. We don't have that in movies and it's not because the movie audience it's more mature, its the same people pretty much, it's just that you can't be that much invested over something that will last 2-3 hours.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Really don't understand being so mad over spoilers for E3 unless you were working on it tbh

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

That's not an equivalent comparison and you know it. The reveal of the existence of a video game is not the same as knowing the full contents of said video game.

Nobody is leaking the entire story of, say, From's new game -- only that it exists.

the much better comparison is being mad someone leaking that there was going to be a new Avengers move after Ultron ("real shit?!"), which we knew about years before we ever saw the first trailer btw.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Gamers so desperately want their hobby to have the same clout as movies and other art forms without having to abide by any of the responsibility that comes with it.

Again, other industries don't act like this, there's no reason why we as consumers still have this draconian stance towards this stuff.

100% agreed. It's silly and looks foolish.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I totally agree. But like I said if theyre evaluating other marketing schemes and determining that doing things this particular way is the most cost efficient model, whats the problem?

Right, like that's my point of contention. I'm honestly not trying to engage in schadenfreude at the thought of marketers and devs having their reveal plans messed with (or "ruined" if we want to go that far). But I feel like the potential for leaks has to be baked in in advance, right? The fact that there's this thirst for leaks and that it becomes big news outside of the official press conference is ultimately nothing but beneficial in terms of being an indicator of enthusiasm for the product you're selling. If people didn't care enough for the leaks to become big news and spread that would be very bad.

Now I'm not saying that leaks are better than no leaks. I just find it hard to fathom that these things are presented to us sometimes as tragic outcomes that were never foreseen. How are there not contingency plans to roll with it when leaks happen in this day and age?

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017

Corporations exploit that surprise for their own marketing purposes. This is what Jason states. It's known that this helps with pre-order culture, which can lead to some problems.

But I do agree that it shouldn't be the problem of consumers to be excited. I DO get excited for E3. It's just that it leads to consequences, the same way using anything with energy leads to consequences. It's just something to keep in mind, but not enough to damp enjoyment.

Now here's the thing. Leaked announcements should not be considered spoilers. They're nothing like stories. They're just names or logos without little to no context, most of the time. Maybe a image or animation tease. They're just useless without more context.

A trailer is sorta different, but it's often a glorified commercial. Commercials aren't spoilers, since they exist more to show gameplay and sell an idea to a potential buyer. And what exactly is there to spoiler in gameplay?

I'll never spoil anyone out of basic courtesy, but I do think spoiler culture is getting a bit out of hand about their definition about what a spoiler consists of.

Last edited:

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
By "nothing to do" I obviously mean it isn't a point of contention and all parties can accept it as fact.

Unless your position is he's oblivious to the benefits of reporting on this?

Hmm, I understand what you're saying now. I just think its the driving point of his post and as such, even though he makes a valid point, it still has to be filtered through the understanding that he and Kotaku benefit from people being excited about leaks.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
Such as? I've literally seen zero devs yet supporting your stance that "no devs are ever hurt by leaks"; feel free to point out any. In the meantime, in addition to Barlog's tweet, here's a few verified devs claiming the exact opposite just from the first page of this thread (bolded emphasis mine):

Want to tell that to the people above?

Absolutely none of these people were hurt by people finding out they had a video game coming out called "XXX".

Their hard work isn't ruined, and I genuinely believe anyone going so far as to cry that the Internet found out they were gonna show "thing" at E3 has an unhealthy relationship with the manufactured dramatics that is hype culture (which is weird, cause the "hype" they're trying to generate is generated anyways. Nothing changes as the result of a leak except their game existing not being a surprise anymore).

It's silly. Their bottom lines aren't hurt. Their reveals aren't hurt (since no one knows how they're going to reveal the thing; in many cases, we don't know anything but a title, and maybe a genre). If you're relying so dominantly on the surprise factor to get people interested in your game existing, you're fucking up.

So yeah, I would tell that to those people, and from the looks of those tweets and this thread, I'm certainly not alone. We appreciate their hard work, but they've gotta check the "don't talk about it!" theatrics at the door.

Feb 24, 2018
Wow this thread went into a mess fast... Think I might stay off this site during E3, get the sense this is just a taste for things to come.

Also saying a journalist shouldn't do their job because you like a surprise is a really argument in my mind and as others have said, these aren't plot spoilers and if you're really that concerned about not being "spoiled" by game announcements, their are plenty of ways to mitigate that.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
The spoiler culture around basic knowledge of the very existence of videogames is so fucking stupid.

Basic lack of respect for people who make games and not leaking their shit in some attention seeking internet post is so much fucking stupider.

People respect the wishes of the creators, not wanting some other attention seeker getting their 15 mins of e-fame, AND God forbid actually wanting a surprise at a show that liked exciting people with the stuff they're working on. Not to mention leaking things mere days before we would have gotten a surprise anyway.

It's not a hard concept to grasp. And pretending it's just about spoilers in announcements is disingenuous BS.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Corporations exploit that surprise for their own marketing purposes. This is what Jason states. It's known that this helps with pre-order culture, which can lead to some problems in a few cases.

But I do agree that it shouldn't be the problem of consumers to be excited. I DO get excited for E3.

Now here's the thing. Leaked announcements should not be considered spoilers. They're nothing like stories. They're just names or logos without little to no context, most of the time. Maybe a image or animation tease. They're just useless without more context.

A trailer is sorta different, but it's often a glorified commercial. Commercials aren't spoilers, since they exist more to show gameplay and sell an idea to a potential buyer. And what exactly is there to spoiler in gameplay?

I'll never spoil anyone out of malice, but I do think spoiler culture is getting a bit out of hand about their definition about what a spoiler consists of.
For E3 it's really not hard to figure out why people classify game reveal leaks meant for E3 as a spoiler.

Just think of an E3 press conference like a movie. A game reveal is part of that movie. Knowing that's happening is like someone telling you what's happening at a particular part of a movie.

It's a bummer when it happens and does hurt the experience for some people. It's in no way "unhealthy" to feel that way and Schrier is wrong for saying so.

I mean, Sony's conference from a few years ago is looked back so fondly upon because of the surprises. The surprise of Shenmue 3 and the FFVII remake were so much more fun to experience without knowing they existed before hand.

In the end, it's all marketing, sure, but so what? People should feel bad for getting excited about a product?

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
I guess my question is why do journalists feel the urge to leak that company X is working on game Y when that announcement is happening in a few days? Like what is the point? Why not put your effort into more significant/meaty reporting about trends in the industry, working conditions, etc. What is the value add of leaking these announcements?

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017

Im sure I dont have to explain the difference between a title of a game being known and central plot points to a movie

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Absolutely none of these people were hurt by people finding out they had a video game coming out called "XXX".

Their hard work isn't ruined, and I genuinely believe anyone going so far as to cry that the Internet found out they were gonna show "thing" at E3 has an unhealthy relationship with the manufactured dramatics that is hype culture (which is weird, cause the "hype" they're trying to generate is generated anyways. Nothing changes as the result of a leak except their game existing not being a surprise anymore).

It's silly. Their bottom lines aren't hurt. Their reveals aren't hurt (since no one knows how they're going to reveal the thing; in many cases, we don't know anything but a title, and maybe a genre). If you're relying so dominantly on the surprise factor to get people interested in your game existing, you're fucking up.

So yeah, I would tell that to those people, and from the looks of those tweets and this thread, I'm certainly not alone. We appreciate their hard work, but they've gotta check the "don't talk about it!" theatrics at the door.

It takes a special kind of selfishness, entitlement and condescension to tell game developers how they should feel about making videogames or showing them to their audience, that they're "fucking up" for wanting to surprise audiences, and to call their experiences about leaks and the damage they do as "theatrics". Still waiting for you to provide links to those fabled devs that sided with you, but I'm putting you on ignore before I say something that gets me banned.

This fucking shit, this right here, is why developers don't interact with players more often, even on strongly moderated places like Era.

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

It's pretty obvious Jason is talking to gamers/consumers and not developers in that tweet. Not sure how Cory missed that.

Obviously this is shit for the corporations spending the billions on their marketing and shit for the developers who want to reveal with the perfect messaging with a big oomph and not a trickle through leaks which can only lessen the impact.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Still hype doesnt mean it is as hype. Like I said, if the marketing team chooses not to do something maybe it's for a reason and we shouldnt shit on their hard work.

It's not shitting on someone's hard work to point out that there are other ways to operate as a business whereby you aren't 100% dependent on zero knowledge for maximum effect.

But what do I know, most of the biggest games of the year get revealed before E3 or outside of it, but yeah, let's keep arguing that strict blackout is the only way.