• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Kind of hard to pull off the smug anti-corporate gamer while posting on a messageboard dedicated to discussing products of corporations.

lzAQU91.jpg

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I think there is value in presenting information about a piece of media in a deliberate and considered way. The marketing teams I've worked alongside sweat the most minute details over how best to show our collective work to the public, and those of us on the development side are invested in seeing those plans come to fruition.

I think I understand Jason's point - he wants a world that is less precious about things like "reveals" that in his view aren't meaningful - but I think he discounts the value of a well crafted surprise and the hard work that goes into it. You needn't shed any tears for "billion-dollar corporate marketing" but do consider that the people that craft those campaigns, and the developers on those games, are dedicated to their work and want to delight the potential audience as much as possible on their own terms.

spidye

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing beats the feeling of getting a surprise announcement of a game at e3 (tm) and playing the game 3-6 years later

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember about the former, but FFVII remake was absolutely leaked before we got the official reveal.

Many of us didn't wanna give ourselves hope and heed the signs, but they were out there.

Didn't ruin the moment of having it actually confirmed on stage, though. It was no less magical.

Surprises can be fun, but taking away the element of surprise and being left with a cool reveal for a great-looking game is so imperceptibly different that it might as well not even be considered spoiling anything. Which is Jason's point.
The thing is, when somebody on 4chan leaks it, who knows if this is true. Tons of fake stuff is posted there.

When Jason or Eurogamer writes about, you know it's basically a confirmation without an official press release.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of people are looking too far into this. Some of us just want to take a couple hours a year to see some cool shit and have "HOLY FUCK, LOOK AT THAT" moments.

It's not brand worship, it's just having a good time and enjoying surprises.

Leaks aren't the end of the damn world, but it does ruin that surprise element.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
I agree. I think it's shitty to do to the team. They're just as excited to see our reaction. I equate this to your kids finding out every Christmas present they're getting before the day, yet still wrapping it up and having them open it. The fun is gone and your hard work is cheapened. The entitlement is real.

Blame the team, then. They're the ones who usually leak stuff themselves.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of people are looking too far into this. Some of us just want to take a couple hours a year to see some cool shit and have "HOLY FUCK, LOOK AT THAT" moments.

I don't know if it really is difficult to understand or some people use this thread as an opportunity to call others sheep and feel better about themselves.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Journalist's need to be more precise with their words. There is no billion dollar corporate marketing, there are corporations worth more than a Billion dollars that also spend large amounts of money on marketing.

At this point many of them (or at least those in the movie business) do spend over $1B a year on marketing.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
It's true for both big and small development studios to a certain extent; smaller developers often are more open to sharing ideas and discussion of their art projects and book venues to disseminate news and get feedback about their game in this manner, rather than curated theatrics to sell product. It's not bad to want to show and announce a product when you feel it is ready, but my argument is that the industry is cultivating a culture where their audience is entitled to a project announcement curated and distributed solely in the way a company wants it to be announced, and if the message is off-brand, PR has swayed public opinion to be upset and frustrated by "spoiling" a product announcement.

I'm using product announcement judiciously in this context because when the argument shifts towards marketing optics, analytics, and theatrics of a preview, it's not artistic, it's utilitarian.

I can understand why a businessman would be upset that their product announcement leaked. The audience upheaval, the unadulterated anger and disappointment over a leak, is not productive or healthy. And I think this audience frustration is in part due to constant bombardment of marketing and PR jargon that has seeped into our culture from corporate framing of narratives.
I think i understand your overall point, but how would you see it being handled differently? Should the consumers be entitled to the opposite, like deciding how a game should be revealed and such? If so, what would the reasoning behind that be, and how should this be handled? Or shouldnt the developers and publishers say anything if they're disappointed that their game announcement got leaked? If yes, why shouldnt they do that if they want it?

How is utilitarian being defined by the way? Its true that trailers are made to make a product look interesting in the best way possible, so you can call that being utilitarian in that sense, indeed, but why would that be a bad thing? As long as they dont lie about something in the trailer, i cant see why that would be bad. People might not be a fan of CGI-trailers or something, but its not claimed to be gameplay or anything like that, so its not propaganda at all. Same thing with when smaller developers show of their game in the ways you mention, that is also to make the game better, and also so that it can sell better. I see nothing wrong with that. And this doesnt take away from anything being art. An artist who paint can still paint and make art, but still want to sell the art as well for example. That doesnt mean that the person isnt an artist as well. And what would the opposite be in this case if it shouldnt be utilitarian? How would you personally go about to change this? Its not like the developers want to make a trailer that makes the game look less appealing :)

When it comes to these leaks a few days before the official announcement, i dont think it has much to do with be off-brand or anything like that, but maybe you're thinking more in general? But these leaks basically just confirms the title of the games and that they exist, not much else is mentioned. The main thing these leaks hurt (as far as i can see) is that the people working on the announcement dont get the same excitement of announcing something completely fresh since other beat them to the punch by leaking it. I dont think that this is really damaging to the game overall when it comes to its commercial success in the long run. Or have anyone who works in the gaming industry said that there other reasons why they dont want these leaks to happen?

You mention businessman in specific, but can you understand the same feeling/point of view from a developer as well?

Personally, i dont think that this has much to do with the bombarment of PR and such. Thats not the reason why i'm sometimes looking forward to the press conferences at least. I think its simply a case where people are being somewhat disappointed that an event that they were looking forward to might not turn out to be as exciting as they've initially hoped for. The press conferences is a form of entertainment in themself, afterall. There isnt anything unhealthy about that, and i dont think people should be criticized for feeling this way (maybe that isnt the intention, but it could be interpreted a bit like that, in my opinion). Its not like game announcements in general is a rare thing outside of E3, so i dont think people "must" have the announcement through events like E3 to be happy with a game being announced. It can come down to personal preferences, simply what people like a prefer.

Another thing is regarding how the press conferences are being done. I remember when Nintendo announced that they werent going to do live shows anymore (at least for the time being), but rather do a pre-recorded session instead (Nintendo Direct). Some people prefer the live show instead of this and were (intially at least) disappointed by Nintendo doing this. Its just a matter of preference, and i think the way how games are announced also falls into that category. That said, there hundreds, if not thousands of people giving their opinion on this however, so naturally i cant say for sure how everyone feels about it, but in general, i dont think people put that much into it. Maybe it looks more like that because things are in written form.

EDIT: And just to add my view. I sometimes prefer announcements at events like E3 because i then know that i have something specific to look forward to. If i know "everything" in advance of the event, then its not as exciting to watch it. I'd still watch it most likely, but it wont be exactly the same. Its just how i feel, its not because some gaming companies have taught me to feel this way. At the end of the day though, this wont affect my enjoyment of the game itself :) So its not that big of a deal to me. It doesnt really matter that much to me how it was announced.

Last edited:

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with Schreier in that knowing a game exists isn't a spoiler.

I would argue against the 'movie' analogy in that, unlike with the movie going public, we tend to get real antsy about games that have been announced but that we've not seen or heard about.

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Yep and of all the leaks the game had etc it still got cheered like no other when the game and kratos got revealed

I feel like all the people concerned and all the ferver and argument over this sort of thing really only matters for like 3 days before E3.

After the dust settles, it is literally of no real consequence, one way or the other. Leaks aren't ruining game's reception (and if they did that would prove a bunch of smoke and mirrors). And 3 days after E3, people will remember the games, not their feelings towards leaked information.

This is all just really a bunch of sound and fury. It only gets a lot of attention and concern right now because it's E4-eve. Any other time and the emotional and real consequences are zero and will be zero after the show.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Jason: "Don't let this thing that's good for my career make you upset!"

Usually he says decent stuff but this was pretty stupid.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I agree that once it's out there's not much that can be done, but you're being intentionally obtuse by describing a well orchestrated reveal as a "corporate presentation", there's no reason to word it that way unless you're making fun of people.

But it *IS* a corporate presentation. It's a corporation spending stupid amounts of money so they can try and hype people up to give them money when their product launches, or even better, right now without a single benefit to you other than knowing "I have this game when it comes out".

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017

Leaks aren't the end of the damn world, but it does ruin that surprise element.
I can know beforehand about something leaked and still have a damn good time when it's revealed. I get the surprise factor, but we live in an Internet age now. People should know by this point on how to proceed regarding information. Not logging to social media for a couple days ain't the end of the world either. Leaks are just unavoidable, secrecy is unsustainable in the current age.

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I agree with Schreier in that knowing a game exists isn't a spoiler.

I would argue against the 'movie' analogy in that, unlike with the movie going public, we tend to get real antsy about games that have been announced but that we've not seen or heard about.

There is one other factor to games being known about early, however. It makes it harder for publishers to just kill projects. This can be both good and bad. Obviously devs need to be able to experiment and cut their losses when something isn't working out, but I feel more often than not, it's passion projects that gets the axe. So the gaming community knowing about their project gives them more protection to try to carry out their vision.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Blame the team, then. They're the ones who usually leak stuff themselves.

Yes, the whole team collectively leaked it. Come on. I understand the other side of the argument for sure, don't misunderstand. I just think that when people work years on something, the reveal is a big deal to them. Look at the video of Cory looking at the meta critic scores. Even I choked up, lol.

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Hollywood is not a monolith. Some announce years in advance and some do the same year when they have the trailer ready. However, the trades report on everything from what's greenlit to what doesn't shape up, to what's canceled. And people still get hype for reveals and Hollywood still takes risks.

This argument makes no sense.

People Can Fly has revealed Outriders, which will show at Square Enix E3 presentation. They have a mission log, a Discord, a logo, a name, a Twitter account, a YouTube channel, everything all currently put out to build up to a reveal at E3. By the nature of this here thread, they spoiled their own show by even saying the name out loud. But they understand that a name, a title, a logo, a Twitter, are just the build-up.

I understand folks not wanting trailers leaked, but this idea that just acknowledging a game's existence would lead to risk averse corporations is wild. We already live in that world.

No rational here, just a couple of well picked examples... And yes, we already live in that world, you are 100% right, and you are about to make it even worse :)

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Spoiler Wars have begun.

Exactly this. And this comparison to knowing about movies years in advance is bullocks. Sometimes we know about games in years in advance too, sometimes we don't know about movies until their reveal trailer either, so it's a mixed bag. Not to mention, why do we even keep comparing games to movies when at the same time people want to get away from that? It's silly.

Anyway, there are only a few really hype events like E3 throughout the year, so leaking reveals in those periods feels lame as hell. However, leaking reveals on a random day of the week untied to specific events? I have less of a problem with that. E3 in particular is a fun event for a lot of people, so ruining the surprises and shaming others for disagreeing with those leaks is crazy.

OP
OP
Musubi

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because we can't do both?
Its possible but every time Cory has been asked about crunch he spins it as "oh but were all just so passionate and everyone wants to keep working!"

So I'm waiting for the industry to be as concerned for the welfare of their workers as they are their fucking stupid marketing campaigns being leaked early.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Yes, the whole team collectively leaked it. Come on. I understand the other side of the argument for sure, don't misunderstand. I just think that when people work years on something, the reveal is a big deal to them. Look at the video of Cory looking at the meta critic scores. Even I choked up, lol.

I meant more in the sense that leakers are usually part of the team, so if leaks do happen, it's due to a team oversight. Risks always exist, and some are understandably inevitable. Like I said, not every leak happens the same way.

Journalists rarely leak things themselves. Most of the time, they just report on info they found somewhere outside the company, usually from someone within.

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
I think the way this board handled the leak of Apex Legends shows exactly why having the game revealed properly with all information in proper context is the way to go.

A name or the genre of the game leaking is not bad as that doesn't actually reveal anything but when we get little bits of information with no context then people tend to go nuts and make false assumptions that just get spread around.

The-Demon

Alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
I feel like all the people concerned and all the ferver and argument over this sort of thing really only matters for like 3 days before E3.

After the dust settles, it is literally of no real consequence, one way or the other. Leaks aren't ruining game's reception (and if they did that would prove a bunch of smoke and mirrors). And 3 days after E3, people will remember the games, not their feelings towards leaked information.

This is all just really a bunch of sound and fury. It only gets a lot of attention and concern right now because it's E4-eve. Any other time and the emotional and real consequences are zero and will be zero after the show.
True but also remember a user on this site that said they dont want anything of final fantasy 7 posted....i mean the game has been out for how long....?

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
I don't care much about spoilers, but there is something about the leaker 'culture' that bothers me. Leaks rarely add any value to a reveal and can rob developers from showing their game off first in the context they want to show it in. It feels a bit like rushing to write first on a youtube video before watching it or something.

I think rumors will never not be popular.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Because we can't do both?

Many devs tend to glorify crunch.

I dunno where exactly Cory stands on this issue, but he would come off as massively hypocritical if he were pro-crunch, anti-union something like that (not saying he is).

"Devs deserve respect, except when they don't."

Yeah imagine if every publisher announce every project early. How many cases of Rockstar's Agent would we have?!

What the fuck is this argument?

As if movies don't get cancelled after being announced. Hell, fucking games get cancelled after receiving a trailer + announcement.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I just don't understand the disconnect between gaming consumers and understanding it's ok that gaming is a business. You know what...thank god it's a business. If billions were spent on us gamers and our entertainment out of goodwill, that would be an embarrassment. There are a lot of needy people in the world who'd love for their worry of the day to be game announcements. Some perspective folks.

So once we accept it's a business and it's ok that it's a business because if multibillion dollar corporations weren't getting results to sell to investors, most of your favorite big games wouldn't be made...then what's wrong with a win, win, win situation where the corporations do big advertising yet gamers and devs treat it like their Super Bowl?

Part of the gaming experience for many people is community and the build up of the dream. It's something that all 3 parties accept as part of the experience. Gaming is just an illusion. You're experiencing stories, characters and worlds that are illusions starting with code. Suddenly we're concerned with the practicality of it?

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Don't let a billion dollar!!! corporation convince you. Listen to me, employee of billion dollar corporation who benefits from said leaks convince you. It's much healthier."

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Someone probably already mentioned it, but the hate against Mario and Rabbids from the press info leak killed the dev team's morale. There has to be a balance between Omniscience in the game industry by journalists and companies having the ability to reveal things when the company feels they are ready. If a game was cancelled then we should be able to take a look at it and see what could've been.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
The thing is I don't care about the marketing spend or any other corporate wish for a reveal to be shown on a certain day due to devs spending time on something. I care about genuinely being surprised during the MS conference, it's something I've been looking forward to months and has nothing to do with anything else. Having it spoiled is a pain but it's as easy as keeping away from gaming news outlets.

I do also care that the likes of eurogamer stick leaks in there headlines which effectively makes the site a no go during e3, I suppose the same can be said for era post titles, I'd rarher leaks were stuck in a single thread that I didn't need to visit.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah imagine if every publisher announced every project early. How many cases of Rockstar's Agent would we have?!

This is kind of a weird argument to make given that some of the things being heralded as megaton hype moments were things announced very early on with almost nothing to show like Sony's E3 2015 show.