• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I like finding out about cool stuff as much as the next guy, but I do feel that people should have a right to be able to reveal stuff on their own terms and when they think it is "ready". I can only imagine the crunch hours a lot of studios have to put in to make sure their stuff is good to go for something like an E3 reveal only for someone to leave it in advance. Fans also enjoy having surprise event reveals to look forward to as well. I know Jason must agree to that to at least some degree because we know there is plenty of stuff he knows about in advance but chooses not to share.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
POWER TO THE PEOPLE cuz someone leaked a game 2 days before the people who made it got to right?

Gamers RISE UP, DEMAND companies let us know when they begin work on a game!
You really think that's the meaning behind his tweet?

Certainly seems like you just can't stand having your commercials "spoiled" a day in advance.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Leaking game announcements is nit some "fuck corporations" thing. Let devs announce their game when they want. It's not harming anyone.

That said, it's true some people get way too invested in marketing presentations. In the end E3 is made to sell you stuff and you should be aware of that. Jumping up and down for game announcements is embarrassing for example. It's a trailer of a game, take it easy.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, this is coming from the guy who outside of outstanding investigative journalism, has gained massive popularity for leaking shit as well. This seems like an "of course he'd say that" situation.

There's a reason companies like to control the messaging around our games, and threads like the Ninja Theory one are a prime example. You get nonsense from people not having any context for what they're seeing. A name is one thing, but assets? That's just shit for everyone actually involved in bringing the game to market. Of course, for people who've never been involved in doing that, Jason included, you wouldn't understand so whatever I guess.

They're not managed leaks. Stop it.

Yeah you're absolutely right here. You've actually jolted my memory too about Mario + Rabbids which seems like an apt game to bring up as well, as I remember at least one regular member of this site who was absolutely adamant that it would not be a good game at all simply because it had the Rabbids in it and Ubisoft had never prioritised a game they were in before, going so far as to post past MC scores of Rabbids games to 'back up' his assertion. And lo and behold the final game is brilliant which was always going to be the case from the moment it was shown off. But because it leaked in the way it did there was a long time where it was just a laughing stock and trolls like that could revel in it.

Sure you can argue how much all that matters in the end but IIRC the devs themselves commented how disappointed they were that that was people's first discussions about the game.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If devs were working on something and they wanted to reveal it in advance then they would announce it in advance, but we all know what happens when they do that. Which is why I don't think the movie comparison from Cooper works. Games take longer to reach a polished, presentable stage vs most any movie and the longer people have to wait for them the more the goodwill towards a given product can fade which is why they specify dates to reveal presentable material in the first place.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah you're absolutely right here. You've actually jolted my memory too about Mario + Rabbids which seems like an apt game to bring up as well, as I remember at least one regular member of this site who was absolutely adamant that it would not be a good game at all simply because it had the Rabbids in it and Ubisoft had never prioritised a game they were in before, going so far as to post past MC scores of Rabbids games to 'back up' his assertion. And lo and behold the final game is brilliant which was always going to be the case from the moment it was shown off. But because it leaked in the way it did there was a long time where it was just a laughing stock and trolls like that could revel in it.

Sure you can argue how much all that matters in the end but IIRC the devs themselves commented how disappointed they were that that was people's first discussions about the game.
I wonder if for the devs Mario and Rabbids was fun to watch leak though. If only because it's existence was leaked before the Switch came out but basically nobody believed it and when it wasn't in the Switch announcement stream everyone decided it was fake lol

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As mentioned in this thread already, this is simply a symptom of the games industry being shockingly antiquated. The fact that the *existence* of these titles is a secret is absurd. We know officially about movies and shows years before they even get cast. There's absolute no reason for games to be veiled in secrecy until just months before release.

Also, i's ridiculous to suggest that this matters to the mainstream. No one outside of enthusiast sites will see this shit.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
so the game's industry is not the same as other industry's regarding this. Thats literally the point i was making.

Except your point was that it needs to change. And believe me a little twitter complaining is a very mild reaction. I would rather it didn't evolve into as harsh treatment of leaks as is the case in other industries.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
As mentioned in this thread already, this is simply a symptom of the games industry being shockingly antiquated. The fact that the *existence* of these titles is a secret is absurd. We know officially about movies and shows years before they even get cast. There's absolute no reason for games to be veiled in secrecy until just months before release.

Also, i's ridiculous to suggest that this matters to the mainstream. No one outside of enthusiast sites will see this shit.

Because game projects change drastically and are even called so often that it's just not possible to do what movies do. That comparison is terrible, I wish people would stop using it.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
You have to look at the reason why some people dont like the leaks in the first place. For the most part, people simply like surprises and feel that a leak ruin that surprise to some degree. I remember one christmas when i was a kid, and my sister told me what i was getting from my parents (we were fighting, maybe i told her what she was getting first, i cant remeber exatcly). That didnt make it as exciting. People also usually wrap the presents for the exact same reason, to keep it as a surprise. You dont need to be trained to feel that way. How would you train someone to feel that way, by the way?

You were a kid. A grown-up adult being upset by a present spoiler would be weird to me.

Also, if you don't like leak you shouldn't visit forums nor website.

Journalists must report leaks and people will talk about that in forums. In your example, it's like if you were looking for something in the closet accidentally coming across your presents.

GTVision

Oct 28, 2017
Just look at the Resident Evil 2 reveal, we all knew that game was in development but it still kept you guessing what it was until Leon showed up.
Sure it was still fun. But omg, the moment the RE7 logo popped up at the end of the announcement trailer, that was such an awesome moment. I prefer that.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
"Leaks are totally fine" says man profiting and making money by leaking stuff.

Shocking.
Give me a fucking break.

One, he isn't in the business of reporting on things that haven't already leaked in some way.

Two, learning about a commercial a day early doesn't affect your enjoyment of the product. It shouldn't, at least. I have a sense it does for you.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Because game projects change drastically and are even called so often that it's just not possible to do what movies do. That comparison is terrible, I wish people would stop using it.

Of course it's possible. Maybe with a different timing or level of detail but it's something publishers must try looking into. Of course, marketing is a powerful tool to create expectations even regardless of any quality so selling the game starts at its announcement.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
If devs were working on something and they wanted to reveal it in advance then they would announce it in advance, but we all know what happens when they do that. Which is why I don't think the movie comparison from Cooper works. Games take longer to reach a polished, presentable stage vs most any movie and the longer people have to wait for them the more the goodwill towards a given product can fade which is why they specify dates to reveal presentable material in the first place.

I think everyone - not least Jason - gets that. Everyone gets why a dev has a schedule for announcing things.

What Jason is addressing is why consumers should care about whether they find out about something on a Friday or on a Sunday. And asking if people are actually interested in the games or if people are more interested in the conferences - the marketing machine - and the games and their announcement are just notches on some score card for those conferences.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Find me a creator who wants their shit leaked.

I mean it, I'm actually curious if that's a thing.
So far it doesn't look like any team is a fan of it.

All the leaks I can think of off the top of my head had negative repercussions like the Mario + Rabbids team feeling demoralized and crushed by the reaction online before they could explain the game, and the HL2 leak that completely fucked over that team and the development of the game.

We also have Corey Balrog and another verified user saying they're against it.

So maybe respect the wishes of the creators and quit telling people it's okay to leak shit when clearly people disagree.

Oct 25, 2017
This argument doesn't even make sense, you're talking about CNN and Fox News in terms of misinformation and this argument is about the consequences of Jason reporting on accurate things. Ironically if it turned out Jason was talking a load of old shite and it didn't happen at E3 or was different, people would love it because it'd be a surprise.

So you really are just talking out of the side of your mouth.
Ha! you just told me people love being misinformed by New organizations... Uhuh, you just said that, let that sink in, while I talk side of my mouth. By the way, as a news organization, you don't just have to spread misinformation to do serious damage to the general public. there are so many ways you can fuck shit up for everyone.

Classic example would be getting on TV, or on social media and leaking the identity of a serial killer before the police has a chance to move in on him, thus giving him a head start to run away... That would also be a serious "spoiler' and a dick move that does no good for anyone... well, anyone except the two parties: The serial killer and the news outlet/ social media page of the douche bag who got first dibs on the identity of the killer.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017
Yeah, it does really feel like this.

E3 became less about the product, more about some kind of weird conference competition? Where the conferences themselves became more important than what they were showing, and the game reveals were just a means to that end, rather than, you know, just finding out about a cool game.

I'm not sure it was this way 15 years ago. Or at least as bad.

Again - for devs themselves I get the upset. Otherwise, it's puzzling.
The factor that leaps out to me is the increased ability of consumers to watch livestreams of the conferences. No one (who wasn't a publisher/developer) cared about leaks when gamers were getting their news from monthly magazines, but technology has allowed these press events have become a way for companies to directly market to consumers on their own terms, and playing into hype/spoiler culture by making the conference a product of its own is a way to both keep the audience invested and further their own interests.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
No it's not, that'd be like saying John Gunshooter gets killed by Billy Stabber in Mission 8 of the game, you know an actual spoiler about the game's story, not "the x game wil be revealed at the game reveal show"
If you just see the E3 shows as a flood of information then I understand that it doesn't bother you if someone spoils stuff, but I see it as entertainment, like a TV show, or wrestling match, or whatever you may enjoy watching even though it's staged, not knowing stuff beforehand is what makes it so awesome. So I rather see the actual show first and spend time talking about the details afterwards.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Of course it's possible. Maybe with a different timing or level of detail but it's something publishers must try looking into. Of course, marketing is a powerful tool to create expectations even regardless of any quality so selling the game starts at its announcement.

Look into how though?

You know what's ironic about this thread? Is that Era is the same place where people constantly complain about Square Enix announcing titles years in advance. How developers should reveal games closer to launch for a shorter marketing cycle.

Now the narrative is, the video game industry is antiquated. They should be announcing the existence of games years in advance. Make up your god damn minds, people.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It's great when the surprise of a reveal can be maintained but the breadcrumb trail of leaks leading up to E3 is part of the experience. Part of what makes an announcement great is that it escaped that where other titles didn't.

And people are anticipating the Avengers reveal. Resident Evil 2 was an exciting reveal despite the announcement of development years earlier.

I'm sure it can be a shame for the developers, especially when it's images/video leaked in a poor quality. But I think the challenge of keeping the secret, where others haven't, is what makes those reveals so rewarding for them.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
You have to look at the reason why some people dont like the leaks in the first place. For the most part, people simply like surprises and feel that a leak ruin that surprise to some degree. I remember one christmas when i was a kid, and my sister told me what i was getting from my parents (we were fighting, maybe i told her what she was getting first, i cant remeber exatcly). That didnt make it as exciting. People also usually wrap the presents for the exact same reason, to keep it as a surprise. You dont need to be trained to feel that way. How would you train someone to feel that way, by the way?
You train people to feel that way by making announcements a spectacle.

Do you think it's just coincidence that no consumers get mad when leaks happen in industries where announcements where there isn't this same kind of spectacle? Maybe I'm missing it, but do these conversations happen when computer part specs are leaked? Hell, I don't even remember anyone ever getting mad about "spoilers" whenever console specs leak, since they're not marketed the same way as games and so the consumer hasn't been trained to see that as bad yet.

It's fine if you want to be surprised, but it's on you to keep that surprise, the rest of the world shouldn't have to play by the whims of companies. This isn't a Christmas present, it's marketing.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
You know what's ironic about this thread? Is that Era is the same place where people constantly complain about Square Enix announcing titles years in advance. How developers should reveal games closer to launch for a shorter marketing cycle.

Now the narrative is, the video game industry is antiquated. They should be announcing the existence of games years in advance. Make up your god damn minds, people.
It's almost like Era isn't a person and is in fact a community of a bunch of people with differing opinions. Bizarre.

And those two stances aren't really mutually exclusive anyway. You can announce the game when it starts development and then market it in a short cycle before release. That's literally what movies do.

Cilla

Oct 29, 2017
Queensland, Australia
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the negative reactions to the Mario Rabbids leak and how that impacted the devs! I remember the tears when it was later positively received.

I always feel sorry when I see things leak as I think of all of the people behind the scenes who were working on the announcement.

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you, about fucking time someone pointed out that a result of a delayed game more likely than not has a lot worse (financial AND CRITICAL) effect on the game than a delayed movie has on said movie.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the negative reactions to the Mario Rabbids leak and how that impacted the devs! I remember the tears when it was later positively received.

I always feel sorry when I see things leak as I think of all of the people behind the scenes who were working on the announcement.
You're surprised because you didn't read I guess. Similar to how people could handle these leaks!

It has been mentioned a lot.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
vB9B5.gif

If you don't want to get spoiled stay off from gaming sites.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Look into how though?

The Resident Evil 2 remake team announced the game's development then were silent until they had had a release date.

I think it's the trailers years in advance of release that frustrate some people.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
I love game surprises.
I don't agree that games should be announced years in advanced just to *announce*

Games are not like movies when it comes to development.

I don't know why you wanna take away that pleasure from gamers. That feeling when you see or hear about a game for the first time. Just amazing.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Look into how though?

Straw-man arguments all around.

I'm against announcing games early in development AND I'm totally in for a more open and less secretive marketing cycle. The two things are not mutually exclusive. Publishers must definitely manage better their stunts to avoid playing too much on anticipation which is, sometimes, detrimental to the product.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

Remember when the game actually came out and went to sell 2m+ copies with very good reviews...? Leaks or not, what matters is market perception when the product is out.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Perhaps I'm just a simple guy but I find watching E3 more fun and entertaining when I don't already know everything.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Simple solution: don't plaster leaks all over the front page, if people wanna see leaks they can see leaks, and if someone wants to avoid them they can avoid them.

But I guess the latter option doesn't get the clicks.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Understood. Why do you think its weird that people want to be surprised at the press conferance though?
I don't. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to know what is in the conferences, there is plenty weird about complaining that what is in the conference got leaked at all.

Simple solution: don't plaster leaks all over the front page, if people wanna see leaks they can see leaks, and if someone wants to avoid them they can avoid them.

"Don't report industry news because I don't want to see it yet" isn't really a solution. I could see tagging news posts/threads with "E3" on them so that people could use a plugin or something to filter them out working though.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Give me a fucking break.

One, he isn't in the business of reporting on things that haven't already leaked in some way.

Two, learning about a commercial a day early doesn't affect your enjoyment of the product. It shouldn't, at least. I have a sense it does for you.
it does effect his/her enjoyment of the conference though

yeah, e3 (and the like) conferences are a show, people meet up with friends to watch them and like to be surprised by the announcement

it is not rocket science
I don't. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to know what is in the conferences, there is plenty weird about complaining that what is in the conference got leaked at all.
i don't think people complain that things get leaked at all..they complain that they get leaked and not treated like a spoiler, meaning that the user has no choice if he wants to see them or not.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
I have the self control to not look at the leaks 2-3 days in advance of their actual announcement, I also don't complain when it's actually E3 and there's barely any new surprises left, like most here seem to do.

They get spoiled early and then complain E3 was weak.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Personally I don't really care too much if a random-day leak comes out ahead of time, although I do feel sorry for the devs involved.

However E3 is different for me, it's 3 days in the whole year where I just want to be off work, eat pizza and watch some amazeballs announcements. My life isn't too interesting, so it's these small events that I really look forward to. Yes, they're trailers and marketing, however its still meant to be an exciting flashy experience in of itself.

Also there's a difference between enjoying something and being a corporate shill zombie

Plum

May 31, 2018

I did ask the admins about that and they pointed out how such a strategy would be really hard to moderate even outside any potential disagreements about what constitutes a spoiler. Does make sense, I suppose, as there's much more of a rush to get leaks out onto the front page than, say, the Game of Thrones leaks last month.

That's why I made a Hideout Thread so people can still use Era whilst not having to go on the front page :)

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Leaking something that's about to be revealed two days later just comes off as pure attention seeking. There's no point to it, it's just wanting to get the scoop extra early.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
If you just see the E3 shows as a flood of information then I understand that it doesn't bother you if someone spoils stuff, but I see it as entertainment, like a TV show, or wrestling match, or whatever you may enjoy watching even though it's staged, not knowing stuff beforehand is what makes it so awesome. So I rather see the actual show first and spend time talking about the details afterwards.
So avoid gaming sites and social media for 2-3 days and you very likely won't get the show spoiled, you'll at the very worst have seen some possible leaks. Expecting people to not leak stuff or for stuff to just not accidentally leak is just asking to get spoiled. This site and journalist shouldn't have to move around people who just want to be surprised, yet are doing absolutely nothing to avoid spoilers.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Knowing if a game is being shown at E3 does not impact my excitement in any way. So bring the leaks.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like Era isn't a person and is in fact a community of a bunch of people with differing opinions. Bizarre.

And those two stances aren't really mutually exclusive anyway. You can announce the game when it starts development and then market it in a short cycle before release. That's literally what movies do.

I'm really starting to hate this deflection of "Era is a bunch of people with differing opinions". Yes it is, like any community, but as a community there are common opinions that bring those people together as well. I see a lot more hostility toward early announcements and reveals here than not.

And yes, movies do that, but I cannot stress enough how many games start development and get cancelled. Game development and movie making are not comparable processes and neither are the audiences, and thus require different approach to marketing. What's so hard to understand here?

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think everyone - not least Jason - gets that. Everyone gets why a dev has a schedule for announcing things.

What Jason is addressing is why consumers should care about whether they find out about something on a Friday or on a Sunday. And asking if people are actually interested in the games or if people are more interested in the conferences - the marketing machine - and the games and their announcement are just notches on some score card for those conferences.
There's something about his initial tweet that just feels a tad too cynical to me and yet his expanded thoughts on the matter also seem glaringly obvious. I think he's asking for more introspection than he believes the average consumer has which again is cynical though not without reason mind you, but still cynical. On the flipside, I also think some people genuinely like being surprised and learning about titles for the first time.