• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Resetera isn't "known" for leaking in any way. It's all been second hand information.
Second hand leaks and rumors, ironically enough often from alt-right or gamergate sources, this forum gives those people legitimacy by discussing those leaks.
What are you talking about? We legitimately have mods verify posters credentials in order for them to share leaks. And not second hand leaks, leaks straight from the horses mouth. I cant even begin to start listing all the examples but on the old site Cboat leaked the entire MS e3, omni has been leaking from soft info for years now. Those are leaks that started IN this community, by this community. What you just said is objectively wrong. This community is known for leaking and rumors. Always has been.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
I bet you claim the alt right are "just trolling" as well.
YN0p46G.gif

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
14 posts by a new member who joined this month trying to tell us this community doesnt leak information. If they're not trolling they're a burner or second account or are just ignorant beyond belief.

Oh I get it and agree. This person is on ignore now but you know what's funny? In one thread I was called a marxist and alt right. I feel like I unlocked an awful trophy. (tbf, the marxist sling was alluded to and hyperbollic, but I can kinda see people taking my points and extending them to an outlandish degree. The alt right thing though? HA)

Edit: I am not even so much "pro leaks" as I am against hindering to press in any capacity to accurately report news that is in the wilds that they want to print. I am definitely against the press having to run things past companies they are reporting on for a yay or nay on publishing it. Is it disappointing as all hell if someone really likes the surprise? Sure. Is it deflating to the devs? Yes and I can empathize. Is it worth hindering or demonizing the press from doing their job in any capacity? No. 100% No.

Last edited:

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Team Schreier on this. It shouldn't be a secret that some game exists. Seeing the game for the first time time is still going to be exciting and special and surprising and all that.

It's also super funny that this conversation was sparked by the Bamco leaks yesterday, of which two of the three titles had already been leaked months ago (including, at one point, GRRM confirming he worked on a Japanese game last month)

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
It's also super funny that this conversation was sparked by the Bamco leaks yesterday, of which two of the three titles had already been leaked months ago (including, at one point, GRRM confirming he worked on a Japanese game last month)
i wanna know why people are mad all of a sudden this year, as opposed to any other year

2019 got people feeling bold, i guess

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Man what a thread, while i do understand devs being mad at leaks im on Jason side on this.

Anyways, this E3 isnt being leaked. Enjoy it, tomorrow i have the feeling will be filled with surprises.

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, be responsible about the media you consume prior to a major trade show. Goes without question. The issue I was addressing wasn't spoilers themselves but people suggesting controlled reveals enrich nothing for anyone, gamer or creator and that as such anyone decrying reveals was simply performing corporate evangelism.
Well, not on purpose...

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Have a look how we generally feel about this and come back informed.

www.resetera.com

Game devs of Resetera, how do leaks impact your work?

Thought I might as well ask the devs out there. Lot of back and forth about leaks and how they impact game development and game devs. So devs of Resetera. How do/have leaks impacted your work?

but in a nutshell, no. We all work hard to show off our game in the best most optimal way and if that gets ruined by a leak its immensely demoralizing

Take Mario + Rabbids for example. it got leaked and the community tore it to shreds, leaving the devs crushed and wondering if their efforts where waisted, the project a fail.
www.eurogamer.net

What's it like when your video game leaks?

Mario Rabbids looks pretty good. We've played it a couple of times now and I think the humour lands well, especially wh…
While in reality what they where making was legitimatly a great game but got undercut and put to risk by leaks.

We craft reveals to show off the concept of the game in the best way since its a first look and in this market the first impressions are everything. Its very easy to get a wrong impression, especially since game concepts have become pretty complex in order to stand out from everybody else.

How you think Ninja theory feels by seeing their trailer for Bleeding Edge shown in horrible off camera quality without sound and the community tearing it to shreds. There is a reason developers fear dealing with the community since they are vicious and can destroy years of hard work in a heartbeat just because the way the game has been introduced to them.

Shh, gamers have risen up and fuck what the creators want.

Gamers deserve to know the very day a developer dreams up a new game.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Loads of games get delayed and apart from a few bells people seem fine to wait. It's the bullshots and false promises that rile people up. More transparency is good for everyone in the long term.
bullshots and false promises? have you seen Puddlegate? this is the community that will be respectful to transparent development and wont make conclusions based of every new piece of footage. (cutting a character from the game - "omg, I think the game is doomed!")?

asynchrny

Aug 22, 2018
Please don't announce games, you're spoiling my surprise of walking into the store and seeing that newly released game on the shelf.

Sincerely, a gamer who's tired of your shitty marketing campaigns that are all the same anyway.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Please don't announce games, you're spoiling my surprise of walking into the store and seeing that newly released game on the shelf.

Sincerely, a gamer who's tired of your shitty marketing campaigns that are all the same anyway.
If you're telling me seeing a reveal at e3 for the first time doesn't get you pumped up as fuck, I'd call you a liar.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Mario + Rabbids as an example for why you shouldn't leak games is really weird since, from what I can tell, the leak didn't really affect anything with that game after it was officially revealed.

The reveal and subsequent materials made up for it in the same way that a trailer informs an opinion. The game was critically well-received and sold extremely well.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
i wanna know why people are mad all of a sudden this year, as opposed to any other year

2019 got people feeling bold, i guess
Boiling point. It has always been an issue, this year it reached a point and became an actual discussion that should have been had a long time ago so maybe this site and the other one would not go as far as verifying leakers and giving them a legitimate platform. edit: not saying resetera is the only place, there is twitter, 4chan, and many others, so if someone wants to leak it will happen, but verifying leakers to have their thread is def an encouragement to the practice of seeking out and leaking information.

Last edited:

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
People bought tickets to Enemy of the State back in the day specifically to see the Phantom menace trailer, so this ain't new. We want to be wowed by something to look forward to.

Y'all too jaded.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Boiling point. It has always been an issue, this year it reached a point and became an actual discussion that should have been had a long time ago so maybe this site and the other one would not go as far as verifying leakers and giving them a legitimate platform.

can't believe the tipping point turned out to be a port of a years old game and the logo for another that was confirmed by one of the writers a month ago.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Mario + Rabbids as an example for why you shouldn't leak games is really weird since, from what I can tell, the leak didn't really affect anything with that game after it was officially revealed.

The reveal and subsequent materials made up for it in the same way that a trailer informs an opinion. The game was critically well-received and sold extremely well.

yeah it's ridiculous. (also, like, i'm sure no one citing the mario + rabbids team dev team being sad about people not immediately liking the concept as an example of the Threat of Leaks has ever said anything bad about a game before it was released)

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

It gutted the developers

It got leaked and the community tore it to shreds, leaving the devs crushed and wondering if their efforts where waisted, the project a fail.
www.eurogamer.net

What's it like when your video game leaks?

Mario Rabbids looks pretty good. We've played it a couple of times now and I think the humour lands well, especially wh…
There have been cases of games being cancelled when being leaked and mario + rabbids could have easily been one of em.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I mean I obviously can't speak to the discord it created in the team and how much it might have hurt morale for people to shit on their game site unseen. But from the outside looking in it almost seemed like a blessing. Instead of people being distracted by what a dumb concept it was on paper, reactions to the actual reveal were mostly "wow, this game that sounded really dumb actually looks very cool." We had gotten past the awkwardness of how stupid this concept sounded and could just focus on how solidly it seemed to play.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
bullshots and false promises? have you seen Puddlegate? this is the community that will be respectful to transparent development and wont make conclusions based of every new piece of footage. (cutting a character from the game - "omg, I think the game is doomed!")?
I was thinking more Watch Dogs, No Man's Sky and Molyneux. Puddlegate just seemed to be fanboys fanboying. Whatever the case the way the system is structured at the moment it doesn't seem to be working for anyone all that well but that's a much larger conversation.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is not just about people complaining about spoilers. This is a journalist telling devs it's not a big deal if you don't get to present your game the way you want.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I mean I obviously can't speak to the discord it created in the team and how much it might have hurt morale for people to shit on their game site unseen. But from the outside looking in it almost seemed like a blessing. Instead of people being distracted by what a dumb concept it was on paper, reactions to the actual reveal were mostly "wow, this game that sounded really dumb actually looks very cool." We had gotten past the awkwardness of how stupid this concept sounded and could just focus on how solidly it seemed to play.

100%. Without the leak, people would've been so distracted by the sheer concept of Mario crossing over with Rabbids that it would've hurt the game.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking more Watch Dogs, No Man's Sky and Molyneux. Puddlegate just seemed to be fanboys fanboying. Whatever the case the way the system is structured at the moment it doesn't seem to be working for anyone all that well but that's a much larger conversation.
As a developer I would love to be more transparent and open with our community from the very beginning, showing the cool stuff we are working on and the great ideas we have, but unfortunately the general gaming community has gotten even more toxic over the last 10 years that I don't see it happening.. ever.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
There's a difference between pro leak and leaks aren't the end of the world.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if I leaked how a movie ended either but that wouldn't mean I'm not being an asshole by doing so.

GaME anNouncMenTZS arent serious, but I would be furious if you leaked how End Game ends cuz that's actually important!

News Flash: none of this is important, but telling people what they should and shouldn't care about is bullshit. It's not hard to not plaster the front page of forums and websites with leaks of shit that's gonna be revealed in 2 days. Who does that help? You wanna steal a team's thunder/moment for some e-bragging rights?

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the pro leak people don't give a shit about people who look forward to E3 announcements or developers who look forward to sharing what they've been working on with surprise announcements.

That's what this all boils down to.

I can't speak for anyone else but I've argued already that I honestly just think that leaks are part of the nature of the beast you are dealing with. This is the double edge sword that comes with the territory of a trade show being this giant spectacle to begin with. The fact that there's this thirst for leaks, that it can garner some interest and become news is only possible in the first place because there's a fanfare that publishers willingly embrace to make this all possible. You're not going to get so many people sitting at the edge of their seats to view ads without also attracting the attention of people thirsty for knowledge about what's going to be shown before it's shown.

And once leaks are out there it's news. You can't put the genie back in the bottle. I'm not arguing that any of this is "good" in as much as I think the most constructive path forward is just to accept that it is what it is.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
It's more like if you leaked a trailer but you do you

You mean the evil marketing material that people in this thread have downplayed?

So why is it no big deal to leak something important to some people but not okay to leak other things? Fine double standard I'm seeing here.

Trailers and plot details aren't important either, none of this is real. And you know there are also assholes out there who leak movies and plot details out there and they'd say BUT WHO CARES LOL ITS JUST A MOVIE just the same as everyone shouting BUT ITS JUST AN ANNOUNCEMENT!

You can't tell people they're not allowed to be annoyed or mad at leaks. And they're exactly that, leaks. It's not an official announcement, its news leaked by some douche who was disrespecting people on the team. And by that I mean the original leaker more than the people reporting on it, but I don't see what's so hard to have a thread or article just for leaks. Why does everyone have to know when something is leaked? If it's so unimportant why post about it so fast you leave a trail of smoke behind you?

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I can't speak for anyone else but I've argued already that I honestly just think that leaks are part of the nature of the beast you are dealing with. This is the double edge sword that comes with the territory of a trade show being this giant spectacle to begin with. The fact that there's this thirst for leaks, that it can garner some interest and become news is only possible in the first place because there's a fanfare that publishers willingly embrace to make this all possible. You're not going to get so many people sitting at the edge of their seats to view ads without also attracting the attention of people thirsty for knowledge about what's going to be shown before it's shown.

And once leaks are out there it's news. You can't put the genie back in the bottle. I'm not arguing that any of this is "good" in as much as I think the most constructive path forward is just to accept that it is what it is.
its just gonna end up with more and more secrecy and big players leaving E3 behind and host their own online reveal events like Nintendo

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree completely with this statement as someone who's worked on a higher profile title that got sorta leaked not just the title but some of the details on the game. When it comes out through leaks the game is not presented in context and many things can be taken too far one way or the other and sway peoples opinions to expect something that isn't coming. And yes devs are disappointed when stuff gets leaked they want people see what their working on to be presented as best as possible. Not every publisher is some evil mastermind they have planned dates to reveal things so the game gets the most momentum it can till release.

Oct 27, 2017
You mean the evil marketing material that people in this thread have downplayed?

So why is it no big deal to leak something important to some people but not okay to leak other things? Fine double standard I'm seeing here.

Trailers and plot details aren't important either, none of this is real. And you know there are also assholes out there who leak movies and plot details out there and they'd say BUT WHO CARES LOL ITS JUST A MOVIE just the same as everyone shouting BUT ITS JUST AN ANNOUNCEMENT!
This, but unironically.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

i mean one is an advertisement for the product and the other is the actual product, that's kind of the difference

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I don't really care about spoilers in general. But I understand why others do. However news can't be spoiled.

i mean one is an advertisement for the product and the other is the actual product, that's kind of the difference
also this

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
Leaking a a potato trailer still bad.

I'm done, I don't know who's taking the piss or being sincere any more.