• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but no one has to give a shit last I checked, so if an entire industry wants to celebrate what it's working on and the fans want to participate it seems nothing short if arrogantly dismissive to say that has no value.
Some fans.
Some parts of the industry.
You're not the silent majority.

I'm a game dev and I don't give a flying rat's ass what you believe I should enjoy about my job. Seems to work less fine than you think.
Seems to work out fine for me. If you enjoy super speshul reveals, more power to you. I just ain't playing along.

Make a good game, then you get the props.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
Some fans.
Some parts of the industry.
You're not the silent majority.

And? The entire issue is being created by people who can't see the legitimacy behind the feeling if others because they don't share them. Not really an admirable position.

Celebrating a game by reveling in its reveal is shallow and completely misses the point. It's the game that should be celebrated, not the announcement.

Why? When did the concept of anticipation die out of human emotion?

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And? The entire issue is being created by people who can't see the legitimacy behind the feeling if others because they don't share them. Not really an admirable position.
The entire issue is being created by people who got so invested in product marketing that they seem to care for it more than for the product itself. So much, in fact, that they complain about news outlets reporting news.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
It didn't. However the lasting thing about games is not the anticipation of an announcement. It is the game itself.

Which says nothing to invalidate being excited over an announcement or the act of making one. So what is your point against that?

The entire issue is being created by people who got so invested in product marketing that they seem to care for it more than for the product itself. So much, in fact, that they complain about news outlets reporting news.

This response seems comically off base without evidence that people aren't interested in playing what they're getting hype about. Who are these gaming voyeurs who watch but don't play?

Oct 28, 2018
I don't know why someone wouldn't be disappointed that their game wasn't revealed on their own terms. That's not to say that a news outlet shouldn't publish information that they've received, but it's also not crazy for people, whether they be fans or developers, to be unhappy that the leak happened in the first place.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
It's fine to be excited over an announcement just be reading to shield yourself from news.

Sure, be responsible about the media you consume prior to a major trade show. Goes without question. The issue I was addressing wasn't spoilers themselves but people suggesting controlled reveals enrich nothing for anyone, gamer or creator and that as such anyone decrying reveals was simply performing corporate evangelism.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Cant a genuine first reaction come from a leak? Can't people have a genuine first reaction after a leak occurs?
Have a look how we generally feel about this and come back informed.

www.resetera.com

Game devs of Resetera, how do leaks impact your work?

Thought I might as well ask the devs out there. Lot of back and forth about leaks and how they impact game development and game devs. So devs of Resetera. How do/have leaks impacted your work?

but in a nutshell, no. We all work hard to show off our game in the best most optimal way and if that gets ruined by a leak its immensely demoralizing

Take Mario + Rabbids for example. it got leaked and the community tore it to shreds, leaving the devs crushed and wondering if their efforts where waisted, the project a fail.
www.eurogamer.net

What's it like when your video game leaks?

Mario Rabbids looks pretty good. We've played it a couple of times now and I think the humour lands well, especially wh…
While in reality what they where making was legitimatly a great game but got undercut and put to risk by leaks.

We craft reveals to show off the concept of the game in the best way since its a first look and in this market the first impressions are everything. Its very easy to get a wrong impression, especially since game concepts have become pretty complex in order to stand out from everybody else.

How you think Ninja theory feels by seeing their trailer for Bleeding Edge shown in horrible off camera quality without sound and the community tearing it to shreds. There is a reason developers fear dealing with the community since they are vicious and can destroy years of hard work in a heartbeat just because the way the game has been introduced to them.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised you can see people getting banned at all, from all the way up there on your horse. I mean, one would think the clouds would block the view.
Uh, what? All I said is that regardless of how people feel about this, there's no reason people should be getting banned over this, and the fact that that isn't the case, that people are getting banned in a topic nobody on either side has any reason to get banned in, is definitely an indication that there's some kinda problem.

That you respond to that with nothing productive and just personally attack me instead... I'm not sure what to make of that exactly. Like, what do I even do with a response like this since there's nothing to respond to; just an ad hominem attack.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for being sensitive to people's reasonable desires with regards to spoilers, such as tagging and giving a spoiler warning for spoilers.

That a game is being made is news. I reject that news should be treated like a spoiler. The fact that a product is being made shouldn't be hidden behind spoiler tags prior to official reveals.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017

www.resetera.com

Thought I might as well ask the devs out there. Lot of back and forth about leaks and how they impact game development and game devs. So devs of Resetera. How do/have leaks impacted your work?

but in a nutshell, no. We all work hard to show off our game in the best most optimal way and if that gets ruined by a leak its immensely demoralizing

Take Mario + Rabbids for example. it got leaked and the community tore it to shreds, leaving the devs crushed and wondering if their efforts where waisted, the project a fail.
www.eurogamer.net

Mario Rabbids looks pretty good. We've played it a couple of times now and I think the humour lands well, especially wh…
While in reality what they where making was legitimatly a great game but got undercut and put to risk by leaks.

We craft reveals to show off the concept of the game in the best way since its a first look and in this market the first impressions are everything. Its very easy to get a wrong impression, especially since game concepts have become pretty complex in order to stand out from everybody else.

How you think Ninja theory feels by seeing their trailer for Bleeding Edge shown in horrible off camera quality without sound and the community tearing it to shreds. There is a reason developers fear dealing with the community since they are vicious and can destroy years of hard work in a heartbeat just because the way the game has been introduced to them.
I'm not trying to defend leaks, dont get me wrong. Wouldn't it be logical for companies to better control the release of information by being more transparent about what they are developing? Instead of building up this mystery that might be leaked and context around the game is then ruined, a development studio can curate the discussion around their game without risking the backlash of an off screen, low quality clip through better transparency, right? It sucks you have to work around reactionary gamers and toxic nerd culture, but continuing to foster it seems a little counter productive to me.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Team Schreier on this. It shouldn't be a secret that some game exists. Seeing the game for the first time time is still going to be exciting and special and surprising and all that.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Uh, what? All I said is that regardless of how people feel about this, there's no reason people should be getting banned over this, and the fact that that isn't the case, that people are getting banned in a topic nobody on either side has any reason to get banned in, is definitely an indication that there's some kinda problem.

That you respond to that with nothing productive and just personally attack me instead... I'm not sure what to make of that exactly. Like, what do I even do with a response like this since there's nothing to respond to; just an ad hominem attack.

Yeah, it's so confusing when you just tell the class to behave and they talk back to you. How could adults possibly take exception at being patronized in a tone dripping with nuclear-grade condescension?

Boggles the mind, really.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, it's so confusing when you just tell the class to behave and they talk back to you. How could adults possibly take exception at being patronized in a tone dripping with nuclear-grade condescension?

Boggles the mind, really.
And you really don't have to continue piling on. Knock it off.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not trying to defend leaks, dont get me wrong. Wouldn't it be logical for companies to better control the release of information by being more transparent about what they are developing? Instead of building up this mystery that might be leaked and context around the game is then ruined, a development studio can curate the discussion around their game without risking the backlash of an off screen, low quality clip through better transparency, right? It sucks you have to work around reactionary gamers and toxic nerd culture, but continuing to foster it seems a little counter productive to me.
Making games is incredibly messy and chaotic, Its not a linear process like making a movie. Project shift in minor details to large parts like scope or genre throughout its development just to chase that early core concept that started this mad journey of making a game.
As developers this is simply the process of making a game because halfway within development there is a big risk that whatever you are making isnt fun to play and you have to reshuffle it to make it work

You really think this cut throat community would respect that transparency when they expect games to release within a year or two of its initial reveal? Games take longer to make and are more complex than ever. We tear games apart for "downgrading" or making minor changes from when its first revealed. So imagine amplifying that by being more transparent.

Again first impressions are everything and the earlier you show stuff and the more transparent you are the higher the chance that major things will shift from first reveal to final product and imagine the backlash if a certain character gets cut entirely or a whole story arch gets rewritten that has been shown off in the beginning.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for being sensitive to people's reasonable desires with regards to spoilers, such as tagging and giving a spoiler warning for spoilers.

That a game is being made is news. I reject that news should be treated like a spoiler. The fact that a product is being made shouldn't be hidden behind spoiler tags prior to official reveals.

This is simple, you don't view the event of E3 as entertainment as much as others. I go into those shows looking to be entertained/surprised. Knowing a game is going to be announced, spoils the game being officially announced often in a much worse way.

Ironically I don't care about spoilers for the games themselves nearly as much since I think games are more about the journey. An announcement trailer doesn't really have a journey in contrast.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

www.resetera.com

www.eurogamer.net

Don't waste your breath; as usually nobody really cares what actual devs have to say. It's all about validating one's own preconceptions, and if that means scores of people with zero collective experience in making games telling developers what they should do, think and feel about their jobs, by god it shall be so.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
Making games is incredibly messy and chaotic, Its not a linear process like making a movie. Project shift in minor details to large parts like scope or genre throughout its development just to chase that early core concept that started this mad journey of making a game.
As developers this is simply the process of making a game because halfway within development there is a big risk that whatever you are making isnt fun to play and you have to reshuffle it to make it work

You really think this cut throat community would respect that transparency when they expect games to release within a year or two of its initial reveal? Games take longer to make and are more complex than ever. We tear games apart for "downgrading" or making minor changes from when its first revealed. So imagine amplifying that by being more transparent.

Again first impressions are everything and the earlier you show stuff and the more transparent you are the higher the chance that major things will shift from first reveal to final product and imagine the backlash if a certain character gets cut entirely or a whole story arch gets rewritten that has been shown off in the beginning.
People didn't seem to mind when Nintendo came out and basically said "shit's fucked we're giving it to Retro" with regard to Prime 4. If the industry was more transparent people would soon adjust.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Don't waste your breath; as usually nobody really cares what actual devs have to say. It's all about validating one's own preconceptions, and if that means scores of people with zero collective experience in making games telling developers what they should do, think and feel about their jobs, by god it shall be so.
That honestly is the most depressing about this whole ordeal, reading the comments of people who would not give a second thought what leaking does to developers. Is it life threatening, no, but it messes with actual people spending years pouring their hearts and souls into making a product, just to have it thrown on the internet often without proper context with the effort of writing a goddamn tweet.

edit:
People didn't seem to mind when Nintendo came out and basically said "shit's fucked we're giving it to Retro" with regard to Prime 4. If the industry was more transparent people would soon adjust.
In that case it was a wish fulfillment and in general I feel Nintendo fans are a little more relaxed when it comes to these things
But still that is one of the rare examples.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Really interesting seeing folks who regularly post in Famitsu leak threads in here complaining about E3 leaks.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
You have that backwards. Coming onto a forum where leaks and rumors are always being posted and being upset that something os spoiled for you, and then expecting the way that forum operates to better accomadate YOUR preferences, is entitlement.

Second hand leaks and rumors, ironically enough often from alt-right or gamergate sources, this forum gives those people legitimacy by discussing those leaks.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
That honestly is the most depressing about this whole ordeal, reading the comments of people who would not give a second thought what leaking does to developers. Is it life threatening, no, but it messes with actual people spending years pouring their hearts and souls into making a product, just to have it thrown on the internet often without proper context with the effort of writing a goddamn tweet.

Pretty much. I frankly can't decide what's worse:
- The people who blatantly don't give a single fuck about developers or how leaks may hurt them.
- The people who have it all figured out without having worked a single day in game development ("devs should be more transparent", "game should be announced earlier").
- The people telling devs what they should feel ("stop feeling things about people's reaction to your game" "worry about your game's quality, not how it's received").

Probably the latter is the most disturbing. I literally make games because I love showing them to people, watching them play and enjoy them. If you rob me of that, I'd rather be back to office jobs that at least pay more by an order of magnitude.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017

edit:

In that case it was a wish fulfillment and in general I feel Nintendo fans are a little more relaxed when it comes to these things
But still that is one of the rare examples.
Loads of games get delayed and apart from a few bells people seem fine to wait. It's the bullshots and false promises that rile people up. More transparency is good for everyone in the long term.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Hello from a flight to LA! I haven't read most of this thread and don't have time to respond much, but I want to make sure you all have the proper context here: this tweet is about reporters (like me) reporting on leaks that pop up elsewhere (like Bandai Namco) and the asinine reactions of "omg how dare you spoil E3 by sharing this massive high-interest leak with your readers." Someone actually suggested that I should put a spoiler warning on my article!!! Which is absurd. That's what my tweet is addressing.

Situations in which I break news based on what's leaked to me (like, say, the Starcraft FPS getting canceled) make for a far more complicated conversation, one that I can't get into now but that I've addressed a few times before, including in one of my follow-up tweets last night. I often sit on information that's leaked to me during situations where I believe that sharing it could do more harm than good. Information that leaks elsewhere, however, is another story. (Again, Namco.)

Just wanted to make sure that's clear, since it's so hard to capture context on Twitter. Hope you all have a good E3. I can't wait!
"Don't let billion dollar marketing convince you its a spoiler"

I don't really see the correlation.