• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah the gow reveal 2016 was one of the best moments in the hitsory of e3 ever. Would be pissed if that would have leaked.
Bwhahahaha it did leak tho. I love how many posters keep using examples of games that leaked to suggest that their leaking would have ruined something about the game despite the fact that the game did leak and the trailer was exciting regardless (and went on to sell well).

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
lately? he reported the starcraft FPS cancelation, and the existance of Diablo 4 and Overwatch 2. You know, like any trade journalist in any area would do.
I know and none of them are from E3 which people have their knickers in a twist about. The main E3 leaks he's just reporting on things that were here there and everywhere.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
Jason is uncovering some shitty practices within the industry (though, it's the same in IT in general but that's something else). Said companies might decide that they don't "support" Jason anymore and he could decide to uncover a lot of gaming secrets.

Though, generally, there's NDA all around. Back in the days, some gaming companies public FTPs were full of uncovered stuff and folks respected that.

I think Jason notoriety is quite big, not sure he requires companies "support" that much. But it's not the case for every gaming "journalists" or whatever title you want to use in here.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the only thing thats worthwhile about your product is that you have control of the reveal you havent made a product worth caring about.

it's not like the trailer itself is debuting on 4chan

knowing that a new game is debuting doesn't take away the first viewing of the trailer or whatever

You guys realize that Schreier himself describes the leak as "What a disaster for Bandai Namco" yes?

Oct 2, 2018
whether or not its a spoiler or not. Announcements are fun. Are they part of the marketing? I honestly dont see why they shouldn't be. These are goods designed to be sold.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
You guys realize that Schreier himself describes the leak as "What a disaster for Bandai Namco"?

none of those games will sell less because the leaked ahead of the Microsoft press conference, which in the end, is all they care about.

It was an incredible reveal and I've gone back and rewatched said reveal even after the game came out. So yes, the reveal is one of the best parts of the game.

that we already knew about. We knew the next god of war was going to be with greek mythology. And by your own admition, that didnt take away from the reveal.

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
none of those games will sell less because the leaked ahead of the Microsoft press conference, which in the end, is all they care about.

No it's not. Just look in the other thread where employees actually talk about how it sucks having things they've worked on leaked.

This is just more soulless evil mega corp only interested in dollars nonsense that Schrier leaned into in his original tweet.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Movies aren't the same as games.

Are they supposed to announce TLOU3 a week after TLOU2 is out?

So many disingenuous arguments in here.
Agreed. Kind of like acting that leaks ruin an experience for people when said people have it completely within their own power to avoid any leaks or rumors but choose to come to places that are known for discussing this content and then getting upset about it.

It was an incredible reveal and I've gone back and rewatched said reveal even after the game came out. So yes, the reveal is one of the best parts of the game.
And GoW4 leaked and it clearly didnt ruin your enjoyment of it.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
You are choosing to see an announcement as entertainment. That is your choice and no one else has to respect that decision.

Yep. That's the same kind of thinking that gets people mad when companies release promotional material for their movie/game and just jump up screaming "spoilers!" If you're choosing to view announcements( things companies want EVERYONE to hear) as entertainment, then you put yourself in between a rock and a hard place.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If the only thing thats worthwhile about your product is that you have control of the reveal you havent made a product worth caring about.

You guys are straight up heartless. Think I may be done with this thread because these comments are getting out of hand.

No it's not. Just look in the other thread where employees actually talk about how it sucks having things they've worked on leaked.

This is just more soulless evil mega corp only interested in dollars nonsense that Schrier leaned into in his original tweet.

To go from that thread to this one, goddamn...

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You guys are straight up heartless. Think I may be done with this thread because these comments are getting out of hand.
I am heartless for thinking an advertisement is not a big spoiler that needs to be protected at all costs? Ok. A trailer isnt going to sway me one way or the other about whether or not I purchase your game. Only the game itself will do that. Putting so much stock into advertising that ultimately does little for the finished product itself is ridiculous. Especially fucking E3 of all places where initial reveals and trailers are 90% bullshit prerendered footage and gameplay running on high end pcs that will never look anything like the finished product.

If we want to talk about morality and whether we need to consider the feelings of developers then fine. But then it works both ways and we need to have a serious discussion about why its so important that these initial reveals be hidden from any rumors or leaks while so many of them are bullshit and will never look like anything close resembling the finished product.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

dont get me wrong, of course it sucks for them. But yes, in the end, sales is the only thing that matters. That is just factual.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like we just have two completely different mindsets on this, so I don`t think we are really gonna come to an understanding on this part. As a last comment I will say again (since you have not commented on it at all) that this was a smaller part of my argument and there can be more serious consequences of a leak that can really hurt the developers. That was the more important part of my argument.

Those instances are so rare as to be inconsequential to the discussion taking place here.

Almost nobody is having their bottom lines hurt in any way by having the existence of their game revealed to the public before they wanted to talk about it.

And while I'm not familiar with what went down with Netflix, TellTale evaporated over night, for a variety of reasons. I'm not sure blaming any blowback towards them on a game leak makes a lot of sense.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
that we already knew about. We knew the next god of war was going to be with greek mythology. And by your own admition, that didnt take away from the reveal.
Yeah? I don't remember anything about Norse mythology outside of rumors. There may have been a leak, but I don't remember seeing it. I was surprised to see God of War at that E3 and based off the audience reactions, so were a lot of people.

Had I flat out seen screenshots of the game before the reveal, no, it wouldn't have been as good.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I am heartless for thinking an advertisement is not a big spoiler that needs to be protected at all costs? Ok.

You're heartless for not giving the slightest of fucks for the people who busted their ass on said announcement who simply wanted to have their moment in the sun with no leaks prior... and then to assume that their game was probably shit to begin with because of their anger? Nah, I can't co-sign that.

But hey, you do you. I'll see you all in the other E3 threads. Take care, be safe.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If it did leak I didn't see it, but yes, if I saw it the reveal wouldn't have been as good. Not at all.
Which for those who feel this way, will always be within their power to keep it that way. Only people who go looking for leaks or roll the dice by frequenting forums that specifically post leaks and rumors, can have said announcements spoiled for them.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My god, how did this thread get to 42 pages? I was reacting to someone calling for a spoiler warning when I wrote an article about a massive Namco leak on ResetEra. Y'all acting like I said that leaks are fantastic and that developers shouldn't care when their shit is revealed before it's supposed to.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah? I don't remember anything about Norse mythology outside of rumors. There may have been a leak, but I don't remember seeing it. I was surprised to see God of War at that E3 and based off the audience reactions, so were a lot of people.

Had I flat out seen screenshots of the game before the reveal, no, it wouldn't have been as good.

oops meant Norse, its late. But yeah all that shit leaked, and it wasnt days before either, it was weeks.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I don't even understand what we are even talking about in this thread? Like what's the point? If you care about ad spoilers stay off Twitter, if you don't stay on. Jason said something like that, made a tweet about it and now this forum is devoting many many pages to discussing it? What even the fuck is video game discussion anymore. Lol.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Movies aren't the same as games.

Are they supposed to announce TLOU3 a week after TLOU2 is out?

So many disingenuous arguments in here.
Why not? What the fuck would it matter? Do you have some weird masochistic need to wallow in uncertainty, wondering whether a sequel is coming out?

If it did leak I didn't see it, but yes, if I saw it the reveal wouldn't have been as good. Not at all.
You people are the reason I drink.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're heartless for not giving the slightest of fucks for the people who busted their ass on said announcement who simply wanted to have their moment in the sun with no leaks prior... and then to assume that their game was probably shit to begin with because of their anger? Nah, I can't co-sign that.
Read my further elaboration. If we want to talk about the hard work that goes into announcement trailers and how its wrong for me to not care about those people then we also need to talk about the fact that E3 reveal trailers are 90% BS and will never look like the final product. So unless youre willing to have that conversation as well in arguing that we need to consider the feelings of devs (do they consider the people they are (un)intentionally misleading with their marketing?) then this isnt a conversation I think is worth having. It cuts both ways.

Nate36

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Sounds like his point is "game reveals aren't important to me, therefore they shouldn't matter to anybody."

Last edited:

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
oops meant Norse, its late. But yeah all that shit leaked, and it wasnt days before either, it was weeks.
Regardless, I didn't see the leak and I'm glad I didn't. That moment of Kratos walking out of the shadows was incredible.

Frankly, in the end I liked the reveal more than the game itself.

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My god, how did this thread get to 42 pages? I was reacting to someone calling for a spoiler warning when I wrote an article about a massive Namco leak on ResetEra. Y'all acting like I said that leaks are fantastic and that developers shouldn't care when their shit is revealed before it's supposed to.

No you acted like people who don't like leaks are brainwashed by evil mega corps.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't even understand what we are even talking about in this thread? Like what's the point? If you care about ad spoilers stay off Twitter, if you don't stay on. Jason said something like that, made a tweet about it and now this forum is devoting many many pages to discussing it? What even the fuck is video game discussion anymore. Lol.
Its spoilerphobia culture where pure entitlement gets thrown around like a moral high ground over advertising. The only people that can spoil leaks are people who actively go out to places that contain them. Thats a personal problem.

The same type of person who told you to put spoilers up on your article are the same people blowing this up in here. Spoiler culture has just gotten way out of hand.