• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Frank Herbert wrote Dune. L Ron. Hubbard wrote Dyanetics and started Scientology.

Damnit, I always get those two confused for some reason. :/

yeah he's not wrong but that's not tolkeins fault is what I'm saying

that's on all the copycats that came after him and I guess readers who were okay with giving money to the same old stuff

I don't think he went and encouraged everyone to ape him

It's sort of like blaming Nintendo for the popularity of platformers after Super Mario, or id Software for FPSs after Doom.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
To quote Epic Pooh:
The sort of prose most often identified with "high" fantasy is the prose of the nursery-room. It is a lullaby; it is meant to soothe and console. It is mouth-music. It is frequently enjoyed not for its tensions but for its lack of tensions. It coddles; it makes friends with you; it tells you comforting lies. It is soft.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"If you've got nothing nice to say, shut up".

It's fair enough not to like either. One is a superhuman saga, the other a political thriller.

And i'll stand with Martin over either of them, if he actually bothers finishing asoiaf at some point, g'dammit.

To quote Epic Pooh:
The sort of prose most often identified with "high" fantasy is the prose of the nursery-room. It is a lullaby; it is meant to soothe and console. It is mouth-music. It is frequently enjoyed not for its tensions but for its lack of tensions. It coddles; it makes friends with you; it tells you comforting lies. It is soft.
God this applies so much to anything Robert Jordan wrote.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
the firs time I read the hobbit and LOTR for that matter I read them all in a matter of days.
Me too. I remember being up well after usual and going right back to the books as soon as I woke up. I assume it was either a winter or summer break as I was probably around 12 at the time.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
One wrote one of the most popular works of fiction of the twentieth century, increased interest in the entire genre of fiction it is a part of, and whose influence can still be felt on pop culture to this very day.

The other was the hack who created Scientology.
Holy fuck I love this thread

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"If you've got nothing nice to say, shut up".

It's fair enough not to like either. One is a superhuman saga, the other a political thriller.

And i'll stand with Martin over either of them, if he actually bothers finishing asoiaf at some point, g'dammit.

God this applies so much to anything Robert Jordan wrote.

I'm not backing Martin on anything until he actually finishes. It's one thing to write an intriguing story, it's another to complete it well. Imagine if Lost just never finished and how people would have thought the writers were geniuses who had thought of everything and just never finished it.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Me too. I remember being up well after usual and going right back to the books as soon as I woke up. I assume it was either a winter or summer break as I was probably around 12 at the time.
i had to read the Hobbit for like christmas break or something. I read it in like a day and i loved it and my dad goes well you know theres more to that one and so we bought lord of the rings and i read them on a plane ride to visit my grandpa in california i remember just sitting in his house reading them.

How anyone can call them a slog i have no idea. but each book of the Storm Light Archive is bigger than the entirety of the Silmarillion. The beginning of the way of kings was tough, until about mid way through i guess?

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not backing Martin on anything until he actually finishes. It's one thing to write an intriguing story, it's another to complete it well. Imagine if Lost just never finished and how people would have thought the writers were geniuses who had thought of everything and just never finished it.
I don't care, ASOIAF could end with book 3 and still be good enough.
It's the journey, not the destination. If TWOW\ADOS never end happening, so be it.

Don't make me tug on my braid! *smooths skirt*

God-damn the issues in Jordan's writing.
I'm still puzzled at who exactly likes Wheel of Time so much.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Dune is the best book I ever read and I will give copies of the first book to my kids and their kids. In my will there will be a clause where part of the inheritance will be used to buy copies of the first book to all my descendants.
It is the first time I read someone saying that the book is slow, WTF
but yeah, different tastes i guess.

I like LOTR but it was so "wordy", so many unistetering information, so many days until Frodo finally leaving the shire.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Dune is wonderful. I feel like Jodoworsky nailed why in the doc about his adaptation when he lays out the setup of how mystery of the story draws you in to the world and the vision of the technology/ecology. It totally melted my brain at 12

Dune Messiah really fleshes out the inital arc which kind of ends abrutly (given the scope) after the climax

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
George RR Martin also had a bit of a lukewarm opinion on Dune and loves LOTR. I'm with Martin on that.

The first book is okay. The plot itself is good but the writing itself not so much.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
I often feel like when people talk about Dune they are just talking about the first novel. But the saga is epic and I feel like second book is only book that is weak. People shouldn't sleep on rest of the books.

Last edited:

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I love Dune for how crazy and awesome it is, but it is a weird ass book. I can easily see it being very divisive.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
i mean tolkien's work was super generic standard fantasy with the generic elves and orcs and dwarves so i don't think he has any right to shit on the works of others
One wrote one of the most popular works of fiction of the twentieth century, increased interest in the entire genre of fiction it is a part of, and whose influence can still be felt on pop culture to this very day.

The other was the hack who created Scientology.
LMAO

This thread is beautiful.

Nov 23, 2017
sorry but that post is 10000x more full of itself self wankery and worse written, by far, than anything in Tolkien. It's vapid as fuck but says nothing about whether Tolkein is actually written well or enjoyable.

I dunno if I've ever seen anything so sniveling and mocking with absolutely no leg to stand on about *checks notes* a beloved well liked fantasy series. Someone who needs 6 semicolons and some flowery nothing low punch metaphors is telling me what good prose is????

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
Hate to see the library of anyone who thinks dune is a slog.

create_spread.aspx

More seriously, though, there is plenty of easy reading (and good) sci-fi and fantasy that is way less of a slog than titles like Dune (and particularly its sequels). I'd expect their libraries to be full of that, which is fine.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Not a fan of Dune and love LOTR.

Nobody even comes close to Tolkien for me.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you.

A book being sort of long (try reading Pynchon or infinite jest lol) doesn't make it a slog.
I'll tell you other works that are a bit of a slog:
- The Odyssey
- The Bible
- Beowulf
- Hamlet
- Les Miserables (unabridged)
- The Count of Monte Cristo (unabridged)
- Moby Dick (unabridged)
- Oliver Twist
- Crime and Punishment
- War and Peace

Just because a work is original, important, impactful, brilliant or worth exploring doesn't stop it from being a slog. This is especially true of stuff that was originally meant to be enjoyed in a different form to what we have available today. Stories of the past were recited to music, read aloud in group settings over dozens of sittings, released episodically in newspaper columns or over the course of years or were written for a literary class for whom wordiness and quoting classics were valued over succinctness or originality. Sitting down and reading a novel by yourself over long periods is a relatively new phenomenon.

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
This.
LOST taught me that lessen that without finishing well you havent accomplished nearly as much as it originaly seemed.

Too many current works are just good ideas with zero follow through which is where the real work is. Its become an epidemic in media. :(