• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it's better or worse that she actually had shut up for a while. Still liking shitty tweets IIRC, but at least she'd stopped saying anything. Quarantining was basically what brought her out and then the complete mask-off event happened.
Quarantining seems to have adversely affected a lot of people in general unfortunately. Either their shitty beliefs have been reinforced several times over, and/or they've gone down various other rabbit holes as well.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
But dude I don't understand. You have an ip you probably generate millions off of without doing a single thing. You just sit there for a day and then voila you can afford another home.

I will never understand it. Even if you're a monster of a person. Why add to your stress by talking like this

There is only so much happiness and satisfaction money can buy. Ultimately you exert true power when you can freely speak your mind, unfiltered without consequences. And guess what she seems to be getting away with it because for now the only darkness she has in her heart is reserved for trans people who continue to be marginalized by all societies across the globe. By failing to support them by vociferously opposing her, we are all failing them. Her power trip is in full force.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Quarantining seems to have adversely affected a lot of people in general unfortunately. Either their shitty beliefs have been reinforced several times over, and/or they've gone down various other rabbit holes as well.

Ah, to be clear I don't think it prompted it in that sense, I'm not saying she got worse due to it. I just meant that the literal sequence of events started from that.

It just meant she apparently finally had a lack of oversight required and/or had the time to start tweeting again. Her new kids' book being released was supposedly because of quarantining too, and then promoting that is why she stuck around on Twitter, and it eventually resulted in that completely fucking hateful disaster of a tweet she made.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
But dude I don't understand. You have an ip you probably generate millions off of without doing a single thing. You just sit there for a day and then voila you can afford another home.

I will never understand it. Even if you're a monster of a person. Why add to your stress by talking like this

Because she believes she's right and that she's fighting an important battle. Also, money and fame warps your brain.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
There is only so much happiness and satisfaction money can buy. Ultimately you exert true power when you can freely speak your mind, unfiltered without consequences. And guess what she seems to be getting away with it because for now the only darkness she has in her heart is reserved for trans people who continue to be marginalized by all societies across the globe. By failing to support them by vociferously opposing her, we are all failing them. Her power trip is in full force.
It can buy much more than happiness and satisfaction. I don't understand. What happened in her life to make her like this? Why even care that much to voice that opinion? Trans rights don't affect her in anyway?

She doesn't care about trans people but cares enough to make opposing trans rights her onlycharacter trait at this point. It just seems a total waste of time for her to even do this. I get voicing for trans rights and caring and all that because they're marginalized and people need awareness, but I guess I don't understand the effort on the other side

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do y'all think WB dropped the Harry Potter out of the game's title in an effort to reduce linking the game to the HP ip and JKR transphobic views?

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Why do you believe it so important to allow a space for people to gush over an IP whose growth and prominence actively results in direct harm to trans lives and threatens our general access to healthcare, support and services?

Love you so much for continually having the energy. It's not important, There are plenty of other avenues people can use to talk about a video game and it would say so much for the site to take a stand like that said...just look at the game reaction thread. Look at how many people dont care, who take umbrage with people dating to discuss this massive issue, who appear in every HP thread to "HYPE" their favorite IP has if that's what matters most.

Point being sadly there are far more of those types on here than we can imagine (remember that poll about buying the game?). This site cares about clicks, they'd never ban discussion of a game so big from that popular of an IP

Dr.Ifto

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Thread whining in a sensitive topic and backseat moderation
How many threads do we need on this? Can we just have a master JK/HP thread somewhere? I understand the issues, but it seems every day there is a new thread.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
...I guess I don't understand the effort on the other side

Perhaps a personal experience but No one ever will know. But she is definitely on a power trip, ruining lives and strengthening the hate against them with her influence. So it doesn't matter "why" anymore. She simply doubles down her hate when people try to reach out to her.

Just in the OP, the organization says it's personally tried to reach out and understand her but failed. So I think it's important to conclude that part of course correction where someone gets her to rationalize hatred is far gone.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Because she legitimately thinks trans people (mostly trans women) are out there trying to assault cis white women and undermine her rights or whatever. She's a bigot, it's just like how many racists think people of other ethnicities are biologically predisposed to crime or subhuman or whatever. Racists never stopped advancing white supremacy because they got rich, rather that just lets them do it more. Same thing here

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
Perhaps a personal experience but No one ever will know. But she is definitely on a power trip, ruining lives and strengthening the hate against them with her influence. So it doesn't matter "why" anymore. She simply doubles down her hate when people try to reach out to her.

Just in the OP, the organization says it's personally tried to reach out and understand her but failed. So I think it's important to conclude that part of course correction where someone gets her to rationalize hatred is far gone.
At least I have naruto.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Do y'all think WB dropped the Harry Potter out of the game's title in an effort to reduce linking the game to the HP ip and JKR transphobic views?

No, it's set like 200 years or whatever before the books, so they wouldn't call it that anyway. Wizarding World is the new branding for the wider franchise that they've already been using thanks to the Fantastic Beasts movies also being set way before the books. Even Pottermore went away and went under that branding.

So frankly, I was actually totally expecting it to have "J.K. Rowling's Wizarding World" in the title for a while now. But that was without knowing the game would be set at Hogwarts, which they appear to be leaning on instead. (That being said - apparently her name's been out of that branding for years? So even just "Wizarding World" without her name wouldn't actually be an attempt to reduce the connection.)

How many threads do we need on this? Can we just have a master JK/HP thread somewhere? I understand the issues, but it seems every day there is a new thread.

Seriously? They literally announced the game yesterday. Of course there'd be a thread, that's totally reasonable.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
I doubt WB or Avalanche will make a comment on the whole situation.
Even in the PS5 blog post about the game, the loops that the dev went through to talk about the game without refering JK Rowling, only clarifying that she didn't help with the game.
That will probably be their defense: "it's her world, but she had no involvement in the game".

Dr.Ifto

Oct 27, 2017
Are you honestly telling me you read both the thread title and opening post and this is your line of posting?
Yes, there is discussion over in the other thread about her transphobic comments in the game thread, and now we have another one here about a group offended about her transphobic comments.

I will just drop it since obviously my comments arent going to change an opinion. Ignoring this thread then.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Yes, there is discussion over in the other thread about her transphobic comments in the game thread, and now we have another one here about a group offended about her transphobic comments.

I will just drop it since obviously my comments arent going to change an opinion. Ignoring this thread then.
Except this one is about trans children attempting suicide as a consequence of Rowling's output.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017

You will be missed.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I said it to myself as soon as the trailer started to play that I will not be buying it or playing it or watching anything else about it. I refuse to support her hate.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I mean the irony is that in a roundabout way I agree with them since I think the other thread should be nuked from a low orbit and this one reimagined as a "this is why we're not giving a boost to a bigot who harms children" thread for this *waves hands* to be held in.

May 9, 2018
WB just posted an FAQ about the game: https://wbgamessupport.wbgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/360053572774

Q: What is J.K. Rowling's involvement with the game? Is this a new story from J.K. Rowling?
A: J.K. Rowling is not directly involved in the creation of the game, however, her extraordinary body of writing is the foundation of all projects in the Wizarding World.

This is not a new story from J.K. Rowling.

Q: Are Portkey Games created with J.K. Rowling's approval?
A: Each experience offered under Portkey Games will take place in the Wizarding World and will be authentic to the Wizarding World. J.K. Rowling is supportive of Portkey Games and has entrusted the design and creation of the games to WB Games and the developers involved.

Although not a satisfactory answer, they're clearly paying attention to the discourse.

Plidex

Oct 30, 2017
So I'm strongly in favor of trans rights, I have marched in a protest in favor of a trans rights' law, that was later approved in my country (Uruguay). I'll detail what the law meant for trans people in case someone is interested in how different countries are approaching this issue, the law:

- recognizes the right to gender identity, making it easier for people to legally change their name and gender, judge approval is not longer needed.
- makes sure trans people are included in educational institutions, giving (if needed) economic, psychologic and social support so they can finish their studies. At least 2% of scholarships must be allocated to trans people.
- at least 1% of public government jobs must be allocated to trans people.
- makes sure trans people are included in the health system, between other stuff, it includes hormone treatment and surgery. Hormone treatment can be given to minors without their parents consent if approved by a medical team and a judge. This is mostly intended to stop the illegal and dangerous treatments, and also takes into account that many trans people are forced out of their homes when they are still minors, so they can't get the approval of a parent.
- gives a montly monetary compensation to trans people who suffered institutional violence or were jailed under the military dictatorship of 1973-1985. This is if their income is below a certain amount.

JK Rowling's attitude is awful. But it won't affect my decision to buy or not buy this game. I know if I buy it I'm technically supporting her, but she is already a billionaire, I'm not helping her have a platform to say heinous things. My decision won't affect her. I understand people who won't be able to look past who is behind the HP universe, but I won't prohibit myself from playing a game just on moral grounds.

I mean, if I did that, I would have to stop buying all the products that are related to the Uyghur genocide and exploitation, please don't interpret this as "whataboutism", I just want to explain that it would be hypocritical to take a stand only when it is just one game.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I just want to explain that it would be hypocritical to take a stand only when it is just one game
Better to take a stand for nothing than risk taking a stand against a few things but not literally everything under the sun right?

Just buy the game, you don't have to shine your ally badge in our eyes and downplay the effect that taking a stand against it could have before doing so.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I mean the irony is that in a roundabout way I agree with them since I think the other thread should be nuked from a low orbit and this one reimagined as a "this is why we're not giving a boost to a bigot who harms children" thread for this *waves hands* to be held in.
"OH BUT MA VIDEOGAEMZ!"

It's disappointing yet predictable to see how many people who pose as allies are willing to dismiss transphobia as long as they can play with a new toy. They're "allies" just as long as that doesn't involve letting go of something they're interested in.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Like the fucking irony of making a point to say you took part in a march for trans rights before going on to talk about how you - a mere individual - couldn't effect change by taking a stand alongside trans individuals as it wouldn't change something.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I was genuinely shocked that Sony platformed it. Not a great way to sell me a console.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Like the fucking irony of making a point to say you took part in a march for trans rights before going on to talk about how you - a sole individual - couldn't effect change by taking a stand alongside trans individuals as it wouldn't change something.

So much allyship for marginalized groups goes out the window with people on this site when their video games yes, video games, are on the line

Plidex

Oct 30, 2017
Like the fucking irony of making a point to say you took part in a march for trans rights before going on to talk about how you - a sole individual - couldn't effect change by taking a stand alongside trans individuals as it wouldn't change something.

It's not because of the fact that I'm an individual, it's because in this instance I don't see how it would change something.

I don't even know if I'm going to buy this game, I don't really care for HP, so it's not because I'm trying to justify myself and be able to play the game as people are implying. My thoughts were genuine.

I still have room for improvement, I should had recognized that my comment would annoy people and it wasn't the best place to explore my thoughts.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
WB just posted an FAQ about the game: https://wbgamessupport.wbgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/360053572774

Although not a satisfactory answer, they're clearly paying attention to the discourse.

Not to be picky, but theoretically fans who blindly support her would also be asking the same questions anyway to judge if they felt it was authentic/canon. That's pretty clearly why that second question and answer are worded like that. So I don't think is being aware of the discourse and distancing from her as much as it is kinda the opposite - acknowledging she's not involved while trying to emphasize how true they are to reproducing her work.

It does make me think my earlier thought about Portkey Games being who handles approving stuff rather than her is probably correct, but that's about it.

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't know why people are upset this is being discussed. Not that I think people should be dog piled for saying there still getting the game, but she's said some pretty vile stuff, and as much as I wish it wasn't the case, the series and world are intrinsically linked to the creator.

I personally had no interest in the game, because I was never a huge Harry Potter fan. If you don't want to see the thread, just put it in the ignore list.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It's not because of the fact that I'm an individual, it's because in this instance I don't see how it would change something.

I don't even know if I'm going to buy this game, I don't really care for HP, so it's not because I'm trying to justify myself and be able to play the game as people are implying. My thoughts were genuine.

I still have room for improvement, I should had recognized that my comment would annoy people and it wasn't the best place to explore my thoughts.
I appreciate that sign off. The only thing I'd add is that support in a fight against something shouldn't be solely dependent on if you can see a victory. Sentiment can take years or more to change. It is a gradual, slow process. Trans people have been calling Rowling out and warning others for years as the dog-whistles were clear. This isn't about money with Rowling, it's about influence and the weight her words are given as a result of her IP.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Expression of deep sympathies for trans people hurt by JK Rowling.

Segway into brief history regarding myself with Harry Potter, indicating its importance and relevancy to my youth.

Brief but somewhat hidden disparagement of people who will not think of the developers feelings.

Suggestion that I will purchase the game, probably, but will still find it JK rowling super gross just for you.

will later appear in the OT for the game absolutely gushing.

Sound about right?

Kyrona

Jul 9, 2020
So I'm strongly in favor of trans rights, I have marched in a protest in favor of a trans rights' law, that was later approved in my country (Uruguay). I'll detail what the law meant for trans people in case someone is interested in how different countries are approaching this issue, the law:

- recognizes the right to gender identity, making it easier for people to legally change their name and gender, judge approval is not longer needed.
- makes sure trans people are included in educational institutions, giving (if needed) economic, psychologic and social support so they can finish their studies. At least 2% of scholarships must be allocated to trans people.
- at least 1% of public government jobs must be allocated to trans people.
- makes sure trans people are included in the health system, between other stuff, it includes hormone treatment and surgery. Hormone treatment can be given to minors without their parents consent if approved by a medical team and a judge. This is mostly intended to stop the illegal and dangerous treatments, and also takes into account that many trans people are forced out of their homes when they are still minors, so they can't get the approval of a parent.
- gives a montly monetary compensation to trans people who suffered institutional violence or were jailed under the military dictatorship of 1973-1985. This is if their income is below a certain amount.

JK Rowling's attitude is awful. But it won't affect my decision to buy or not buy this game. I know if I buy it I'm technically supporting her, but she is already a billionaire, I'm not helping her have a platform to say heinous things. My decision won't affect her. I understand people who won't be able to look past who is behind the HP universe, but I won't prohibit myself from playing a game just on moral grounds.

I mean, if I did that, I would have to stop buying all the products that are related to the Uyghur genocide and exploitation, please don't interpret this as "whataboutism", I just want to explain that it would be hypocritical to take a stand only when it is just one game.

Look I'm not going to argue against all of that, but think of it this way- buying a game is like a vote. If enough people buy it, the studio may continue the series and make another game in which you yourself can do nothing and she gets richer. Even if your individual sale does nothing, it contributes to the possibility of the numbers being high enough that this all happens with another game in the future, where your same argument will be 'It's just one vote'.

If you absolutely have to buy it, could you at least make sure it is preowned so the studio doesn't see higher sales numbers on the game?

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Devs have to feel awful. This is a big game, so it would feel bad to leave it off the resume. But then you're answering questions for the rest of your career about it.

JKR sucks so fucking much.

Furetehoshii

Jun 16, 2020
Trans lives are more important than buying a video game, should be a no brainer.
I'm also fine with HP discussion being banned as people have suggested.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Get ready for fucking loads of this in November.

I'll have to hit the ignore button, a lot because I don't have the energy to combat people who don't realize:

Trans lives are more important than buying a video game, should be a no brainer.

^This and they get to skirt around this issue all they want in their slick ways. Actually I think maybe November will be ok, I'll just put Cyberpunk threads on ignore and whenever this comes out all the people who need to discuss this game will have their own OT so *poof* to that as well

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
This really sucks, but it will suck even more if the game gets released and it's actually GOOD.

Normally, I'd just say I'd pick the game up used in order to not give it another straight sale, but I probably won't have that option because if I grab a PS5 it'll be digital-only.

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
Buying this game to support the devs is not your "get out of jail card" from financially supporting JKR who will continue use her power to promote her transphobic views.

I would rather people admitting they are wrong than act like they are ok with a bad excuse. Stop being a hypocrite

Kyrona

Jul 9, 2020
This really sucks, but it will suck even more if the game gets released and it's actually GOOD.

Normally, I'd just say I'd pick the game up used in order to not give it another straight sale, but I probably won't have that option because if I grab a PS5 it'll be digital-only.

Does it truly matter if the game is good though? We have no shortage of amazing games of all genres and qualities now. Is there anything you lose in picking up another game that is equally as good? As gamers we all want to experience anything good, but will your life truly change by replacing one experience with another? That's what helped me deal with my own selfish desires in the past.

It does suck to know you may miss something great sometimes, but at the end of the day playing a single game isn't life changing. JK's words unfortunately are.