• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
The so horrific it's almost funny thing about this is that they were in the process of taking the award back when Rowling made a huge show of saying that she didn't want it anymore actually and pretended she'd chosen to return it.

I feel sure there are probably some genuinely well meaning people who just have no idea what hormone blockers do and could be easily drawn in by the bullshit scare tactics (though I do not think those two posters were in that category), so it's important that you've tried to make this clear.

Genuinely, hormone blockers just delay puberty only for as long as the child takes them. The entire point is that it gives children so much more time to figure their gender out, which is why the "they can't make these choices when they're young" bullshit is so horrifically disingenuous.
Also the notion that it wasn't reversible seems to suggest... the kids never have puberty? Like, I've heard this as a legit complaint from transphobes, they don't seem to understand the child will still go through puberty. There's not a fucking set age for puberty. I went through it at 13, I know someone who went through it at 15, I know someone who went through it at 10. Delaying puberty isn't stopping it, it literally just lets the kids slow it down so that they can be sure they make the best choices possible for themselves.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Harry Potter is enormously successful, and capitalism ultimately doesn't give two shits about marginalized minority groups if the majority of potential consumers are willing to turn a blind eye.
I have to wonder when people would even start caring. Even if the game has a transgender villain like Rowling's new book, I'm still not sure that would set off alarm bells or regret in many people that bought it. I hope I'm very wrong.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
This shit sucks man.
This game? Dream game. Something of it's sorts I have dreamt of for ages.
I want this game bad. Simple as.

But If I buy it, I will be supporting an absolutely vile, horrid woman whom I hate and who doesn't deserve a fucking cent from me.
I can buy used, but it would still feel like supporting.

SemRockwel

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe one idea could be to make a Harry Potter containment thread on gaming hangouts? If resetera doesn't want to ban discourse entirely on the game and other properties related to Harry Potter, it may be better if it is all in one place so it isn't promoted as much and will have all necessary disclaimers. It would also be easy for people who don't want to see anything Harry Potter related again to hide the thread.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I have to wonder when people would even start caring. Even if the game has a transgender villain like Rowling's new book, I'm still not sure that would set off alarm bells or regret in many people that bought it. I hope I'm very wrong.

Trans rights is an incredibly new topic to the social discourse. I don't remember it coming up at all in mainstream circles until about 5-6 years ago. The vast majority of people are either ignorant about trans topics or don't care. And I don't know if any social issue would be enough to offset Harry Potter being one of the biggest media franchises on the planet.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
A small correction, and I hope I don't come off as brash saying this, but trans people. Not every trans person is a woman. Some of us are men, some of us are women, and some of us are just "people", because a rigid gender binary is bullshit.

Good post. Shuts down the "I want to support the devs" folks, too. Thank you.

Ah no it's alright. I wrote trans women because JKRowling was targeting mostly trans women. And you are right, that her actions affect all trans people.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
As someone who never got into the books are films it must suck for those that did. To have to look at how a franchise you grew up with differently all because the author has hateful views is really shitty.

It must suck for the devs as well because surely most of them are huge HP fans and they've been working on this for years before JK made her shitty opinions known.

Obviously JK will get money from this game's success, but do we know any direct involvement she has had on this game?

The game looks great, but at no fault to the dev team it's carrying the burden of being in the shadow of JK's hatefulness. Unfortunately JK has only continued to express her hate and I dont see her ever changing her tune.

Really shitty situation all around, maybe WB could donate a bit of each copy sold to Transgender support charities.

Andvari

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
She is a really dismissive and a one sided person with her views, I don't like her at all, The game looks great and I will be getting it more than likely but I don't like the situation one bit she's vile.

Emiya777

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
To those that want to play it, why not buy it used/buy a shady Steam key/the illegal way I won't say since I don't want to get banned.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Avalance seems to have made a dream game for Harry Potter fans (like my wife), but fuck JK Rowling. That shit is not coming within this house hold.

Mohsenix

Mar 31, 2018
This absolutely sucks for Harry Potter fans. The game looks fantastic yet J. K. Rowling is actively being a piece of shit.

Ravager777

Jan 1, 2018
Really sad to see Rowling expressing these views and for quite some time. When I was younger, I got the feeling that Harry Potter story was aiming to be an inclusive story. I wonder if she always had these views or if they came about after Harry Potter.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
I wish the game staff could come out and state their opinions on the matter. I have a feeling allot would be vehemently against JK and her bullshit

Mr. Capo

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
J.K. Rowling's rhetoric is literally harming trans people everyday, the fact that we need a staff post shows that us as a community have a long way to go.

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Has Warner Bros Interactive had any comments or been questioned about Rowlings transphobic and homophobic abuse? You need to put pressure on the money in matters like this, and I'm sure there will be plenty of interviews and press around the game now that it's been formally unveiled. I hope somebody with a spine brings it up eventually.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Really sucks to see a favourite for many tainted like this, and hugely frustrating that she can't just let people exist.

"We are aware through our work with families that there have been cases of self-harm and even attempted suicide following J.K.Rowling's statements and the public response on social media and in the press."

I wonder how she feels upon hearing her statements have had this effect. The normal human response here would be a deep feeling of disgust and guilt at realising how much harm your (extremely amplified) view is causing. But it's 2020, so the response will probably be grossly inhumane and self-preserving.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Has Warner Bros Interactive had any comments or been questioned about Rowlings transphobic and homophobic abuse? You need to put pressure on the money in matters like this, and I'm sure there will be plenty of interviews and press around the game now that it's been formally unveiled. I hope somebody with a spine brings it up eventually.
The only thing Warner Bros said about the situation was this:

The events in the last several weeks have firmed our resolve as a company to confront difficult societal issues. Warner Bros.' position on inclusiveness is well established, and fostering a diverse and inclusive culture has never been more important to our company and to our audiences around the world, we deeply value the work of our storytellers who give so much of themselves in sharing their creations with us all. We recognize our responsibility to foster empathy and advocate understanding of all communities and all people, particularly those we work with and those we reach through our content."
www.indiewire.com

Warner Bros. Issues Statement on J.K. Rowling Anti-Trans Controversy

A Warner Bros. spokesperson declined to discuss the company's working relationship with J.K. Rowling.

Basically the classic "yeah we are against prejudice and all that but we will still continue to make money out of this". Don't expect Warner Interactive to act any different when questioned about Rowling's disgusting bigotry, the only thing they care about is their bottom line, and with how spineless most of gaming media is you're probably not going to get much besides "GAME LOOKS HYPE!"-kind of coverage. Shit is truly infuriating and demoralizing.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for this thread. This is important information many are completely unaware of.

And also, fuck TERFs and JK Rowling.

Trans rights are human rights.

Typographenia

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
It's really sad that a property that connected with so many people and inspired so many is forever tied with a creator that chooses hatred over acceptance and compassion.

Rowling is a truly wretched person, and trans people deserve better than to have people willingly turn a blind eye to the harm her words and actions are causing for the sake of a game, movie, or book.

TERFs suck, and JK Rowling is awful.
Thank you for the links, OP.

Ghostswillpass

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There is no piece of media too good that it's worth throwing away all your morals and supporting a disgusting piece of shit like J.K Rowling, but people get blinded by the cool shiny new thing and seemingly can't help themselves, it's frustrating.

We need to take a stance here, there shouldn't be an OT.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
  • Causing self harm and suicide in trans children.
  • Being cited by politicians in pushes for anti-trans legislation.
  • Poisoning discourse around access to bathrooms.
  • Giving platform to and boosting large anti-trans groups.
  • Adding to a pressure that resulted in links to support systems for vulnerable trans children being removed by the BBC.
  • Believes HRT is a new 'gay conversion therapy' and should be restricted further.
  • Is becoming massively influential in a push to restrict options and healthcare access to young trans people.
Yet she hasn't hit Era's magic US-centric deplatform line like Joe Rogan or Kaitlynn Bennett so hey, continues to have a place here for people to fawn over the IP and bolster her influence.

Beyond spineless.

LogicAirForce

Oct 25, 2017
The whole "we should still support the devs!" argument is bullshit. If you want to support them just buy their other games. Its so cowardly hiding behind "but the devs!" Just admit to yourself that a stupid vidya gaem matters more to you than the lives of trans people, and move on.

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
Imagine that you are a girl who loves Harry Potter. That you've read the books, seen the movies, love the universe.

And the creator of your favorite thing in the world tells you no, that you are actually a boy.
It doesn't matter how you feel because something, something, preschool biology that is just bullshit.
This broke my heart. I can barely bring myself to completely read the OP. Fuck this game, I'm glad that my knowledge of Harry Potter's lore is barely existential but I've never bought and I will never buy anything related to this franchise. I'm sorry for the devs but fuck J.K. Rowling all the way to hell and back.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
This is horribly depressing to read and I can't in good conscience enjoy anything HP anymore. Having lived in the UK for a bit I still don't understand why exactly it is TERF central/where the whole gender critical movement stems from but it is so hateful whilst trying to have the veneer of being good and correct. Fuck JK Rowling and fuck TERFs man

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The whole "we should still support the devs!" argument is bullshit. If you want to support them just buy their other games. Its so cowardly hiding behind "but the devs!" Just admit to yourself that a stupid vidya gaem matters more to you than the lives of trans people, and move on.
Yeah I'm really sick of this argument. I dont feel bad for not supporting the devs of the Call of Doody games i dont buy, so why is there a sudden argument of "those poor devs" for this game? Its just a thinly veiled "I'm buying the game anyway and I'm trying to justify it with something that gamers will understand"

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
It's such a tragedy one of the best worlds we grew up with is tarnished by one someone like her, the doubling down she does is even worse.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Imagine that you are a girl who loves Harry Potter. That you've read the books, seen the movies, love the universe.

And the creator of your favorite thing in the world tells you no, that you are actually a boy. It doesn't matter how you feel because something, something, preschool biology that is just bullshit.
Which fucking drives me bonkers because this is LITERALLY SOMETHING VOLDEMORT WOULD DO

Like how do you be that blindly hypocritical? How?

Was seeing comments in Easy Allies chat on the lines of "Rowling's not hurting anyone".

Fuck that, and fuck her.
Have the Allies themselves spoken about the game yet? They've been disappointingly "both sides" about certain things before, to the extent that it made me stop listening regularly.

I'm looking forward to the Jim Sterling video on this as I'm 100% he'll rip it to pieces.

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel sorry for the developers, who are no doubt making the best game they can in a fictional world a lot of them are very passionate about - we should also be mindful that development started on this years ago, back when Rowling kept her trap shut about trans issues and her TERF views were a rumour. I'm sure a lot of the people working on this game are very unhappy right now with how she's acted.

I think fans of this fictional world should, however, show some restraint and not buy this. Rowling is rich beyond imagination and no amount of boycotting can take the money she's already earned away from her, but it does raise awareness of trans issues, sends a powerful message to other transphobes that their views are unacceptable, and frankly is embarrassing for her personally. If boycotting the game can create some positives elsewhere in the form of raised awareness and directing money towards groups helping trans people, that's a good thing.

In a world where Rowling wasn't a TERF, I'd have considered buying this. The game looks great. But I think I will do some research and support some trans developers and/or give Mermaids some money instead.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
The mental gymnastics going through my head trying to say that it's far removed from her and has been developed without her input, but in the end she is actively PROFITING off of it.

I feel terrible for the devs and I wouldn't want to be in their shoes, but props to them because it looked amazing. Still I can't support it.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017

Doesn't the book feature a cross dressing killer, not a transgender? Far as i can tell the villain from the reviews uses a wig and dress for a disguise and is actually a straight guy?

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Concern trolling in a sensitive thread, console warring
How does this make people feel about Sony?

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I never liked HP so it's no tragedy to me to see it destroyed, but I feel sorry for my wife (and others) who grew up reading and enjoying the books/movies only to learn now that the creator has shown herself to be... like, defiantly (seriously, she keeps going out of her way to remind everyone her shit opinions) a terrible person.

Feel sorry for the devs as well who may have been working hard on this thing for ages for it to now become so toxic, maybe I'm naive to think any 'regular' person cares (i.e. it'll still sell billions because) but surprised Sony even promoted it. Guess as usual it's only "the all ighty oller" that matters.