• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Thanks for posting this. More people need to know and we've discussed this on the ot but it's rarely made it to the gaming side

Not touching that Harry Potter game. Fuck jk Rowling

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
This is horrible. I looked up to her as a kid and I'm sure a lot of kids these days do too. To hear the transphobic things she's been saying must be devastating for young trans HP fans. She's using her platform dangerously and irresponsibly and she doesn't care.
She would love transgender women to face danger as a consequence for their "choice". Of course she does not care. Skateboarding downhill is something to be called dangerous and irresponsible. This is premediated murder.

OP
OP
HMS_Pinafore

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
I can respect your opinion, but there were a lot of people who worked on the game and spend years on it. You are sort of punishing those folks for some dumb shit that she said. You can separate her from the game. There are way worse people out there who get your money every day.
Hey Mods, can we ban these arguments? It's the "all lives matters" of game purchases...

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Why "punishing" these devs seems bad to us but if a game has MTX or bad graphics it seems good to us.
The idea would be that the devs have nothing to do with Rowling's trashiness, so they shouldn't be punished for that.
And that this isn't the case in this case. I think it stems from a belief that if a game has MTX/bad graphics, all the devs are to blame for it. But that's absolutely not the case. If a game has the worst monetisation ever, the devs still have nothing to do with it, the higher-ups/executives/etc are responsible.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Then the fucking onus for that is on the gigantic bigot the game is tied to.

Not the people who didn't want to engage with the product as a result of that.
I agree with you. Like I said I don't support the argument. I'm just saying that this idea of the devs getting paid anyway so it doesn't matter if people don't buy it doesn't really pan out in the long run. The sales will obviously affect the developer and it's employees.

Once again I'm not saying I support it or that anyone should buy it. Like I have already said they will not be getting a dime from me. I will either be buying used, use gamefly, or hope that it is on game pass for PC. And that's assuming the game is even worth playing in the first place.

Staff Post

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
We're seeing a lot of people come in here and show their asses in regards to trans issues. There's lots of downplaying the transphobia that Rowling is guilty of, and lots of dismissals of trans people and the issues they face.

This ends now.

Trans rights are human rights, and JK Rowling has made it abundantly clear that she is transphobic towards trans people. That's not okay and people are going to want to talk about that.

This thread will remain open, as it is an important topic and needs to be discussed. If you choose to buy the game, then that's your prerogative. However, do not come into this thread to dismiss the feelings of trans people, downplay the severity of Rowling's blatant transphobia, or dismiss your fellow member's experiences and feelings. Those who do will be actioned severely.

You have been warned.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really can't condone Rowling's views, so I can't really support the game either.

I do want to because, really, it's everything I ever wanted from a Harry Potter game and I don't believe it's fair on the developers to destroy their careers. The game clearly has a significant budget and, if it fails to perform, they're not gonna blame Rowling or her views - they'll blame Avalanche - so I'm admittedly in a tough spot.

How do I support the developers that are making a game I want to play, but not support the game itself because of whose ideas it's based on? 🤔

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't touch this game with a bargepole. Discussion of it should be banned in this forum.

Feel a bit sorry for the devs, but Rowling stands to make more money from this game than any other individual.

To the people defending this game and it's development, would you support an indie game written by Graham Linehan? Would the conservation be "think of the developers"? I bet not.

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
These "punishing the devs" arguments are so fucking ridiculous. Just fucking admit that you need an excuse to buy a product from an IP owned by a bigot who has views that directly harm millions. Like, am I punishing every damn dev when I don't buy their game?

Time and time again I just see here how little people give a shit about trans issues here.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I can respect your opinion, but there were a lot of people who worked on the game and spend years on it. You are sort of punishing those folks for some dumb shit that she said. You can separate her from the game. There are way worse people out there who get your money every day.
There are what, tens, hundreds of thousands of games that have been released that I never bought? Did I "punish" those devs too? How dense is this line of thought.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I recall a previous thread about this game in which it was highlighted that many within the developer company feel very uncomfortable with Rowling's anti-trans propaganda. I really feel bad for the devs given no one knows (and I am well past caring) how far Rowling will fall mired in her bigotry.

Personally, if WB are the sole holders of the game's right with full creative freedom and if Rowling sees no dime from the title's revenue, then it would be a meaningful gesture if WB publicly denounced JK's bigotry and a meaningful act if the development team allowed for the protagonist to be a trans (game looks like it will allow for custom protagonist) character.

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly feel like this is a case where era should take a stand and ban discussion/promotion of the game. JK Rowling just too terrible. I'd be ok with more threads like this bringing awareness to how bad she is, but I don't think we should do an OT or have discussions/threads about new trailers or anything else like that.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for making this thread. I'm trans and Harry Potter was so very important to me growing up. (Funny story- what I consider to be the best meal of my life was a Chik-Fil-A sandwich I ate while waiting for my local Deathly Hallows midnight release event- very funny how that turned out for my queer ass.)

This is, without a doubt, my dream game. Watching the new trailer, I could feel myself trying to justify why it's ok that I play this, even though I'd already decided long ago not to support it. But I failed at every attempt, no matter how much the property has meant to me personally, because in the end, it's not something I feel can be justified. I'm not going to say that you can't play it. But I'm also not going to say it won't affect my opinion of you, because if nothing else, you've prioritized the game over the feelings of many trans people.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
I'm glad someone made this thread. I mean, I feel sorry for the Devs and the game looks great, but fuck J.K. Rowling, everything she stands for and her work!

I mean, even if WB somehow manages to buy her out, HP will forever be tainted for me.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
What does it take for ResetEra to de-platform a game?
Not directly boosting someone who is currently resulting in direct harm to trans children, and pushing sentiment toward stripping rights for trans women + young people looking to transitioning in the UK. That's for sure. Much more important to give people a safe space to gush over the IP.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly feel like this is a case where era should take a stand and ban discussion/promotion of the game. JK Rowling just too terrible.

I agree. If someone else terrible like Milo Yiannopoulos suddenly wrote a story and there was a game being developed based on it, it would be pretty open and shut not to allow it to be discussed here. Rowling is in the same camp.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly feel like this is a case where era should take a stand and ban discussion of the game. JK Rowling just too terrible.
What does it take for ResetEra to de-platform a game?
That's what I'm wondering. Would JKR have to literally be the one making the game by herself like the case of The Last Night (IIRC) or does the distance between her and the dev process somehow shield her despite the views she expresses being objectionable to the community?

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
FUCK JKR. I'll never spend a single cent on anything Harry Potter because it just directly funds her disgusting anti-trans stance. I feel sorry for the devs who feel the same and have to work on the game.

Honestly, even if she weren't getting money from it, I don't think I could buy it. All of her horrible behavior has really tainted the franchise for me. It was a huge part of my childhood but now I just never want to think about it again.

Why not supporting the game isn't punishing devs.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I actually know a dev on this project. She is rightfully mortified at Rowling's comments and is deeply conflicted.

However, one thing is fully clear: sales of a game almost never go to individual developers of the project. Sure, maybe if we had better unions, this would be a slightly more complex issue. But it's not. Sales of a game determine future decisions about the IP, and the profit pages on a corporation's books, but it's very unlikely that the success or failure of this game, in this case, will cause layoffs to a well-established development team, *especially* if the game is competently made but simply didn't do as well due to the extent circumstances of JK Rowling being a massive piece of shit.

Supporting LGBT charities directly, with cash, is one of the best things you can do, but sending a message to WB over this game is certainly a good way to support your trans allies as well. Frankly, if one of my trans friends found out I was breezily enjoying this new title, I would feel like an absolute shithead.

So I won't.

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
Fuck TERFs. I wouldn't have bought this game anyways, but I'm never going to support Rowling again in any way. She's a big old bigot.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad someone made this thread. I mean, I feel sorry for the Devs and the game looks great, but fuck J.K. Rowling, everything she stands for and her work!

I mean, even if WB somehow manages to buy her out, HP will forever be tainted for me.
Agree. People have already posted in other threads how her vile influence as tainted the Harry Potter books, like how she describes Rita Skeeter, for example, or about how the House Elves love being slaves and Hermione is a fool for trying to liberate them.

Fuck Rowling. Such a vile creature.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
This.

I'm baffled by the change in JK Rowling. This was the person who gave away (or donated) enough money to help people that she's no longer a billionaire. Now we have her being a TERF. It's so sad to see.
I knew she had been trying to skirt inbetween this trans stuff for a long time but I had no idea she became such virulent scum in such a short time. Im no Potter fan so I only followed the story from the perspective of "known famous person being a shit", guess I wasnt following it close enough.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I actually know a dev on this project. She is rightfully mortified at Rowling's comments and is deeply conflicted.

However, one thing is fully clear: sales of a game almost never go to individual developers of the project. Sure, maybe if we had better unions, this would be a slightly more complex issue. But it's not. Sales of a game determine future decisions about the IP, and the profit pages on a corporation's books, but it's very unlikely that the success or failure of this game, in this case, will cause layoffs to a well-established development team, *especially* if the game is competently made but simply didn't do as well due to the extent circumstances of JK Rowling being a massive piece of shit.

Supporting LGBT charities directly, with cash, is one of the best things you can do, but sending a message to WB over this game is certainly a good way to support your trans allies as well. Frankly, if one of my trans friends found out I was breezily enjoying this new title, I would feel like an absolute shithead.

So I won't.
Appreciate you coming in to add this, thank you.

Oct 27, 2017
Any hope of the devs/pub donating to the cause for every copy sold? Would be fucking powerful and in the face of that shit stain even if she is making money.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
User Banned (5 Days): User banned (5 days): Inappropriate commentary in a sensitive thread, Conspiracy theorizing

The difference is that in this case, we have a choice. Friendly reminder that Avalanche Studios is based in Salt Lake City, UT, home of the Mormon church, one of the most vehemently anti-LGBTQIA organizations on the planet, which also has its hands throughout the city and state gvt. And while I don't want to assume that the people that work for them share the same views, it's a reasonable assumption that the dev has some sort of monetary connection with the Utah gvt, and thus, the Church.

Solaire

Oct 29, 2017
This "punishing the devs" rethoric really comes up like clockwork, huh. Nothing more than concern trolling.

What a farce.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017

So I won't.
This was a good post, I feel like this should be threadmarked for the people using the devs as a shield

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are what, tens, hundreds of thousands of games that have been released that I never bought? Did I "punish" those devs too? How dense is this line of thought.

Let's be real, the game is gonna sell millions regardless of the decision not to buy it ourselves. For us it's a gesture of solidarity rather than any expectation that the game will bomb because of it.

So in that sense I'm not really conflicted about not getting the game and can only encourage others to skip it too. With any luck Avalanche's next game won't be based off the ideas of a TERF and I won't need to skip that one too.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So I won't.

Bless this post.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Where should I stand if want to support the devs/want to play the game/cant stand JK or TERFs? Is buying pre-owned an effective start?

Edit: Really appreciate this post for putting things in perspective re: "but what about the devs?"

So I won't.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Any hope of the devs/pub donating to the cause for every copy sold? Would be fucking powerful and in the face of that shit stain even if she is making money.
It would be better than nothing but donating doesn't really combat the issue at hand of her influence and people giving weight to her words, as a result of adoration of the IP.

It's like seeing someone light a forest fire over and over again and selling binoculars to watch that have a donation to planting trees.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Thank you for making this thread. I'm trans and Harry Potter was so very important to me growing up. (Funny story- what I consider to be the best meal of my life was a Chik-Fil-A sandwich I ate while waiting for my local Deathly Hallows midnight release event- very funny how that turned out for my queer ass.)

This is, without a doubt, my dream game. Watching the new trailer, I could feel myself trying to justify why it's ok that I play this, even though I'd already decided long ago not to support it. But I failed at every attempt, no matter how much the property has meant to me personally, because in the end, it's not something I feel can be justified. I'm not going to say that you can't play it. But I'm also not going to say it won't affect my opinion of you, because if nothing else, you've prioritized the game over the feelings of many trans people.

I would reckon saying "feelings" is letting the apathetic off too lightly. If Rowling is set to generate revenue off of the title then players are actively participating in funding an individual who is actively using her wealth and influence to at best, stagnate and at worst, erode already shaky trans-rights from her far reaching public platform. And that is even before we get to how her demonizing trans folks is leading some of them to physical self harm themselves, suicide ideation and worse.

Other than that, I can empathize with the rest of the post (sans the trans part). HP was a cornerstone of my growing up and like Daniel Radcliffe said, whatever bond you have formed with the books is your own and no one can take that from you. So, yea, what is done is done but now, amidst the plethora of information pertaining to Rowling's continued bigotry, we need to do more. At the very least as an informed individual, I can and shall abstain from buying the title (even though I really really want to try it).

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
She who should not be named is an awful person and I would feel weird supporting this game, but at the same time feel bad for the devs who have been working on this for a long time.

OP
OP
HMS_Pinafore

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8

So I won't.
Thanks for this post!

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
The "but the game devs" argument doesn't work because it isn't your job to line their pockets. That isn't your responsibility as a consumer anyway.

People gonna separate the art from the artist and that's fine but you are supporting someone who openly hates an entire group of people. Jim Sterling said it best... These companies want to make you feel like you can't live without their game but you can... Easily. There are more games out there and readily available than ever before.

So I'll gladly pass on this and Cyberpunk if that's what it takes.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Where should I stand if want to support the devs/want to play the game/cant stand JK or TERFs? Is buying pre-owned an effective start?

Buy pre-owned, don't get DLC, and abstain from really talking about it to people you know haven't bought the game as to avoid giving it word-of-mouth promotion. The devs won't see your money regardless of whether you bought it full price or not so that's a non-starter, but if you really wanted to you could grab Cars 3 or the Disney Infinity games on Steam (which come with all the content).

KepperC

Jul 17, 2020
The difference is that in this case, we have a choice. Friendly reminder that Avalanche Studios is based in Salt Lake City, UT, home of the Mormon church, one of the most vehemently anti-LGBTQIA organizations on the planet, which also has its hands throughout the city and state gvt. And while I don't want to assume that the people that work for them share the same views, it's a reasonable assumption that the dev has some sort of monetary connection with the Utah gvt, and thus, the Church.
This isn't a logical assumption. It's more like conspiracy rubbish.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She who should not be named is an awful person and I would feel weird supporting this game, but at the same time feel bad for the devs who have been working on this for a long time.

I mean yeah it sucks that they've attached themselves to a beloved IP that then completely began shitting itself, but they're getting paid. No one at Avalanche is losing their job or getting hurt or anything.

The game will come out and, with any luck, will bomb so badly that the Harry Potter IP becomes completely radioactive, and the devs will move onto something else.

OP
OP
HMS_Pinafore

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
I feel bad for the devs, but I'm sure they would understand peoples hesitance to buy this game and support JK, especially since it's not like the dev's are getting royalties from the game like JK will be.