• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
The following statement comes from Mermaids, a UK based Trans Kids support group.

Warning, the following contains talk about Self-Harm and suicide

Today, J.K.Rowling re-stated her position on transgender lives. We have previously reached out to her both publicly and privately, offering a calm conversation around the issues she has raised and today, we sent a further email to her team, renewing that offer. We are yet to receive a response.

As part of that email, we have disclosed something we hoped never to say. We say it now with permission from those involved. Without giving personal detail, without betraying confidences, we must represent the seriousness of the situation. We are aware through our work with families that there have been cases of self-harm and even attempted suicide following J.K.Rowling's statements and the public response on social media and in the press. Surely this must cause us all to pause and question the way young trans lives are being debated in public.

Source: https://mermaidsuk.org.uk/news/a-call-to-j-k-rowling/

I don't want this to get lost in the "Hype" J.K still owns the rights and profits from this game, and I think it's important that people know who they are supporting by getting this game.

I'm not posting this to shame people who are still getting this game, but I ask that people don't defend J.K and show some tact when they talk about their hype for the game.

Donate to Mermaids :https://mermaidsuk.org.uk/donate/

DON'T COME INTO THIS THREAD TO SHAME PEOPLE FOR NOT WANTING TO BUY THIS GAME, YOU'RE NOT CUTE YOU TRANSPHOBIC FUCK.

Last edited:

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Fuck Terfs and JK Rowling but this should be in the Hogwarts Legacy announcement thread imo

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
I can't imagine what it must feel like to be a dev for the game. But yeah, I ain't giving her a cent

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Thank you OP. Dumping again as to my thoughts around giving this IP a place for people to fawn over it here. Was sent to staff. Will raise it again in the criticism thread but I have zero fucking faith in anything regarding this forum and trans issues moving forward. Fucking nill.

---

Rowling is not simply vile, she is actively corrosive toward public policy governing trans lives in the UK (and elsewhere through being cited during discussions around legislation) as well as trans lives directly.

This is not some abstract or indirect hurt. It is direct and it is mounting.

She is as much - if not more when speaking about the UK - a detriment to lives than Joe Rogan or Kaitlyn Bennett. A literal detriment, in that people are having their rights threatened and lives threatened directly by her.

Mermaids speak without ambiguity as to their cases of suicide attempts and self harm in trans children as a direct result of Rowling's output.

Is the aim of deplatforming to attempt to curb real danger through limiting influence, or is it in fostering discussion in individual spaces? I'd argue the former takes priority over the latter and we sit within a large and reputable gaming space, one that is capable of some degree of influence. We are actually in a position to do what we can in our small corner, and we aren't because we wish for people to have a space to discuss her work.

Which I understand - to be clear. It's a legitimate thought and it makes sense as presented. It just doesn't hold a candle to the actual discussion for me - when we're talking about someone whose growing influence is directly being weaponised to influence real-world changes for trans women and children in the UK.

To me the priority becomes actually becoming what we claim in these times and heavily rebuke what this has now become. Before perhaps there was a leg for the other avenue, but it was long before charities citing her as the cause for suicide in children, people actively taking her prompts and using them to push to deny bathroom access to women, and members of government citing her in attempting to do the same or similar/worse.

There should be a distinct gaming side thread to educate. Threads about how vile she is should continue. Allowing in any form the ability to fawn over her work/IP is a genuinely disgusting thought to me as someone trans in the UK and at a time that this is occurring around us with it only seeing set to increase in severity and passion.

To note too - I was a large Harry Potter fan. I had the first editions, I went outside bookstores on release, my ex and I had a Gryffindor themed anniversary. I just fundamentally understand the difference in need to discuss the work of a bigot relative to deplatforming someone from having their work promoted and raised at a time when they're actively causing real, physical harm to trans lives in this country.

Nov 23, 2017
Thanks, OP. The other thread pissed me off with all the people drive-by "day 1!"''ing that shit. I doubt that happens in this one.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't aware of the fact self-harm and attempted suicides have risen as a result. Jeez. How she can continue her unabashed tirade is beyond me.

Dunno what this country's deal is with trans people. Curious if there are any ways I can help as a UK citizen, outside of donating? I'll definitely do the latter when the HP game comes out, may even be able to price-match it depending on my financial situation at the time.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
It really sucks that something that is so beloved and important to so many people literally everywhere was made by such a vile POS who lingers over all of it.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It should have been clear by the entire fucking trans/nb community either moving or being banned from here, but this forum holds zero fucking spine around trans issues.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I can't imagine what it must feel like to be a dev for the game. But yeah, I ain't giving her a cent
Yeah, I honestly feel for the developers. I still won't support the game, but I hope that they get more work on other IPs that aren't tainted in the future.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I guess the only way she loses the rights to the Harry Potter franchise is if she sells the rights to WB similar to he who shall not be named selling MC to Microsoft? Or is there a way WB can fight in court for the rights, if they have any reason to care that is.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
JKR is obviously a vile piece of scum, yet the devs poured years upon year into the game. Leaning toward possibly buying it since i've liked the games Avalanche has put out, but we will see.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Fuck JK Rowling. The game looks good, she doesn't get a fucking cent of my money.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Will not buy the game either, unless a big part of the profit goes to transgender charity projects. FUCK JKR!

Yeah, this is the only way I'd buy this/anything to do with JKR anymore. I do feel for the devs, I really do. And like, the game looks awesome, but I simply can't put any money into her pockets anymore.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Imagine that you are a girl who loves Harry Potter. That you've read the books, seen the movies, love the universe.

And the creator of your favorite thing in the world tells you no, that you are actually a boy. It doesn't matter how you feel because something, something, preschool biology that is just bullshit.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I in no way want to diminish the harm she does to trans folks, but it's again also worth highlighting that her pen name is a direct reference to someone known for attempting to 'cure' gay people through electroshock. She is a monster.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think this should be in both, a lot of people on Era only read headlines.

I think all rowling news should be on gaming with hogwarts legacy in the title from now on. If people want this game the gaming side should be fully aware and it's on them to actively ignore this information. Fuck her and fuck Harry Potter.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I wish we could just shove away toxic creators and just keep the product. Like how Minecraft came from space and not a fedora neckbeard who has faded into obscurity.

JK Rowling is awful but Harry Potter is such a huge part of my and others childhood and something like this is a dream game but supporting it means money going to her and that's awful.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Good stuff OP.

I know it's hard to give up things you like due to shitty creators and circumstances, but it can be done. I don't give WWE my time or money anymore. My wife loves Harry Potter more than anything and was in the middle of reading the books with our kids when she stopped. There's plenty of other content to enjoy from people who aren't pieces of shit.

Jorden1506

May 29, 2018
Netherlands
Honestly if I have to choose to not support Rowling and not support all the devs working on this or yeah support the dev team. Yeah gonna go for the dev team.

As the devs are people as well of all classes races and genders and not fucking anyone over by being vindictive to an old woman who can't see that see is wrong.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Fuck her. Now she is responsible for deaths too.

Isn't there a magic witch/wizards game coming out soon in the same kind of art style as Stardew Valley? That's the magic game I'll be getting!

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Such a horrible PoS. Game looks like my dream Harry Potter game, but she really puts me off the game and the IP.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Yeah, I honestly feel for the developers. I still won't support the game, but I hope that they get more work on other IPs that aren't tainted in the future.
I'm pretty sure the game will sell as much as it would have if Rowling weren't a TERF (sadly :/), so at least the devs will get properly paid

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I guess the only way she loses the rights to the Harry Potter franchise is if she sells the rights to WB similar to he who shall not be named selling MC to Microsoft? Or is there a way WB can fight in court for the rights, if they have any reason to care that is.

I feel she's too deeply entrenched in all aspects of the franchise at this point. She wrote the last two films, I believe Pottermore still gets updated, and she has input on practically everything else I'm fairly sure.

I do think at some point WB is going to sit down with her to try and convince her to either shut up, apologise, or sell, though. But I really doubt she'd ever go for the last option and the mere idea would most likely only make her even more committed to the idea she's being "silenced".

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I'm pretty sure the game will sell as much as it would have if Rowling weren't a TERF (sadly :/), so at least the devs will get properly paid

Doubtful. Harry Potter has absolutely seen reduced sales over the last 6 months compared to other books.

It will still sell a lot, but between the last movie being bad and the TERF stuff the franchise is at a low.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Game needs prominent trans characters. Hopefully Rowling doesn't have any say.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a Harry Potter fan so this game wasn't really for me, but even if I was hyped out of my mind for it I still wouldn't buy it. Fuck JK Rowling.

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Haven't touched or watched anything HP related for some years. This won't be an exception.

Inb4 the poor devs poured their body and soul into this game lmao

Edit: Oh God, there's one such comment here lmao.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Was seeing comments in Easy Allies chat on the lines of "Rowling's not hurting anyone".

Fuck that, and fuck her.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Doubtful. Harry Potter has absolutely seen reduced sales over the last 6 months compared to other books.

It will still sell a lot, but between the last movie being bad and the TERF stuff the franchise is at a low.
I was gonna say: "Now hold on a minute..." about the last movie being bad and then I remembered you're talking about the spin off movies that I had completely forgot existed. Fuck those were terrible

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Doubtful. Harry Potter has absolutely seen reduced sales over the last 6 months.
Really? Do you have any source? Not that I don't believe you, but I'm interested
Cause I've been seeing it sell pretty damn well because of the coronavirus, but maybe it would have sold even more if it weren't for that