• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
She brought up something that I never thought about. The phrase trans women are women didn't appear to be problematic at first to me, but she explained very well how it could exclude members of the trans community including non binary people. And equally as important, it shifts the argument from bad faith actors to discuss the semantics of what the term women even means. I only manage to watch half so far though.

might be my own experience, but like MOST of the time it is either "people are talking specificaly on trans women" or they mention the rest (yes, including the "non binary people are valid" part). Like you can't take what an actor said as gospel =P

I understand the complains about inviting discussions of metaphysics, but it paints a much worst picture to say it is excluding when you literally don't quote the entire thing"

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Some thoughts:
  • Great breakdown of Rowling's comments and statements over the past couple of years.
  • Solid insight into how 'polite bigotry' works for those that might not be clued in.
  • Nice to relate the transphobia with transphobic consequences in law.
  • Agree with her on the 'trans women are women' part.
  • "..trans people are always on the lookout for the next person we can trans" – can confirm, we are.
  • Really good to see her addressing how transphobes treat trans men and transmasculine people.
  • I think elements of the ending can be a little (unintentionally) patronising toward trans people.
  • Little too much violin play for Rowling in the final segment re: twitter as it forsakes mention of the abuse she herself directs toward trans people. I think Judith Butler handled that specific side of things better.
  • The very final moments are great and accurate. It's part of why it's a little frustrating to read cis people say things like "I'm not going to let Rowling being an asshole destroy my love of Harry Potter", as it feels like a privileged take that verges on bragging about your ability to, as a consequence of having no stake in it.
All in all, valuable video. I hope those that could best learn from it don't take away that the sides are equal. I know she touched on it in closing out the segment but unsure if it was as potent as the preceding bulk of that final quarter. Minor nit-picks on the whole and am grateful that she handled the the rest as she did.

So this has always struck me in the same way that people who say things like: "I would totally sleep with a hot trans person" or "I am not attracted to Asian people." Like, why you going around bragging about how much of an asshole you are. Read the room, shut up.

For many yeah because trans is an adjective that elaborates on the noun woman rather than being entirely a seperate noun independent of woman.

This makes a ton of sense and I am entirely here for it.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
This is a legendary interview because the interviewer keeps trying to steer the discussion towards typical British TERFery and Butler deliberately refuses to take the bait. You can almost feel the interviewer becoming frustrated in the text.
I agree, it's a really strong interview and stands out as an example where the attempts are obvious and counterpoints made clear.

Pretty much mirrors my own views exactly, so honestly no need to type them out again.
đź’ś
So this has always struck me in the same way that people who say things like: "I would totally sleep with a hot trans person" or "I am not attracted to Asian people." Like, why you going around bragging about how much of an asshole you are. Read the room, shut up.
Yeh it always feels a little tone deaf for sure.

Is this a thing? It's definitely not how I prefer to describe myself, I always leave the space out and feel weird when people put a space between the words when referring to me.
Very interesting, but something to keep in mind I suppose. Anyway, that's off-the topic.
Going to make sure to note beforehand that this isn't to make you feel wrong in how you prefer to identify, just to give context to the position as it's one I share:
Writers shouldn't use "transman" or "transwoman." The word trans is an adjective that helps describe someone's gender identity, and it should be treated like other adjectives. Merging the adjective and the noun risks suggesting that a trans man or woman is more (or less) than just a man or just a woman, which goes against how many trans people identify themselves.
www.vox.com

Why you should always use "transgender" instead of "transgendered"

It's not just about being polite.
Among those who do refer to themselves as trans women, many see it as an important and appropriate distinction to include a space in the term, as in trans woman, thus using trans as merely an adjective describing a particular type of woman; this is in contrast to the usage of transwoman as one word, implying a "third gender".
en.m.wikipedia.org

Trans woman - Wikipedia

In addition I've found that transphobes often use "transwomen" – when they're not just calling us men lol – as it is a further separation from "women", where separate words denote us as a type of woman. This can partially be seen via Google with "transwomen" yielding around ~750,000 results and "trans women" giving 4 million; the former is much more of a mix of transphobic rhetoric than the latter, though obviously it's not absolute on either side.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Almost done, but I'm guessing that was Jenny Nicholson doing the mean tweet readings in My Little Pony voices...

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Almost done, but I'm guessing that was Jenny Nicholson doing the mean tweet readings in My Little Pony voices...

Yeah I was wondering what that was about.

Anyhow, great video, very insightful. Just yesterday I was actually thinking to myself "How do people like J.K. Rowling become so hateful and bigoted when they have so much going for them in their life" and this video is a good breakdown of how it might happen.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I was wondering what that was about.

Anyhow, great video, very insightful. Just yesterday I was actually thinking to myself "How do people like J.K. Rowling become so hateful and bigoted when they have so much going for them in their life" and this video is a good breakdown of how it might happen.

I got to the end and apparently the voices were done by some AI program that has the MLP voices.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1 hour and a half?
Some of these youtubers are loosing any semblance of synthesis or constrain =P
To be fair she only puts out like one video every 3-4 months and the work she puts into them shows. Each one has to be a huge undertaking.

Weasel

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Concern trolling over multiple posts on a sensitive topic; account in junior phase.
Another great video as always. Also very unsurprising to see people make it an opportunity to complain about Contra.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Now on to Justice Pt2 with Tabby, I need the return of my anarcho-communist catgirl plz

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
User banned (3 weeks): Antagonizing staff, attempted thread derail
Another great video as always. Also very unsurprising to see people make it an opportunity to complain about Contra.
because the fact that she belittles NBs means absolutely nothing to you doesn't mean that doesn't mean anything to me. My sibling is NB, Contra is fucking trash... Even when she might call out something that effects her this time.

Don't worry though! Mods are going to allow your hero worship. They pay good enough lip service to the trans community... When it suits them. (See also the Asian community threads)

Weasel

Oct 25, 2017
because the fact that she belittles NBs means absolutely nothing to you doesn't mean that doesn't mean anything to me. My sibling is NB, Contra is fucking trash... Even when she might call out something that effects her this time.

Don't worry though! Mods are going to allow your hero worship. They pay good enough lip service to the trans community... When it suits them. (See also the Asian community threads)
I'm sorry for the hurt your friend went through but Contra has never willingly belittled NB people. Those accusations are based on deliberate misinterpretations of her venting her personal experiences as a trans women, even though she no doubt misspoke often, which may have sound meaner then intended. She's also made it clear that she was unaware of Buck Angel's truscum activism and does regret that part of her "Opulence" video.

Felt this was one of the better videos in some time. I felt it was a good decision to make this about why JK Rowling could think the way she does and use that as a more general examination of how this happens to people.

It was also good to look directly at the viewer, so to speak, and ask them if it isn't ultimately better to focus on trying to devise a politically actionable strategy, rather than stop at seeking validation only.

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017
I loved she playing the music from silence of the lambs in the beginning. I have tried to defend the movie in the past but I think at the end I'm like her, I just like the movie, because it happens to be very good, but it is impossible to not see how it perpetuated that "imaginarium" so to speak about trans/gay people as predators. Even when the movie literally in its text tells us the serial killer has nothing to do with trans people, but the idea of the "deviant" being the villain is just there, and the director knew what he was doing, even if Demme and/or Harris are not transphobes themselves, it is still harmful, it should at least have been treated with more care.

I've always liked her approach of trying to see the other side, or at least explore it. I can't help but agree, when you dehumanize the "villain" you might miss the "villain" growing within. Just because you do this doesn't mean you are "both siding" things, but its really hard to do, as shown how the discourse around her is, which is honestly at this point not rational. There is zero debate to be had.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
We're platforming Contrapoints now? A content creator who is NBphobic and has previously platformed noted transmedicalist Buck Angel?

For those in the thread who mentioned Judith Butler's recent comments - I highly recommend this excellent interview they did with Owen Jones on that topic amongst other things:

Again, this is a personality who is at best problematic, primarily when it comes to her views on non-binary, so I would really caution ascribing her as something akin to "the biggest trans voice on Youtube."

At least have awareness that it really sucks that there's truth in that.

OP
OP
Ramathevoice

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
We need more people like Fiction around, seriously.

We're platforming Contrapoints now? A content creator who is NBphobic and has previously platformed noted transmedicalist Buck Angel?

That fucking sucked, it hurt a lot of trans and NB people, and I don't think anyone here is excusing that (I'm not at any rate). I'll also echo Watchtower's post that you quoted: it sucks that she's "one of the biggest trans voices on YT", but I don't believe that means we should throw out everything she has to say on any subject, least of all this one. She's not always right, sometimes she's super wrong, but I think she's still got something to bring to the table due to her background, experience and expertise.

Last edited:

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Damn, I really envy Natalie's ability to construct an argument. She lays out the nature of bigotry and unpacks Rowling's transphobia with unparalleled clarity. And as always, her presentation and humor are a complete delight, making even the heaviest subjects accessible.

She's doing an incredible service to people who don't have the expertise or inclination to take a deep dive into sociopolitical issues. There are some damn good talking points about bigotry and trans equality in this video.

Last edited:

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
Enjoyed watching this last night. Always enjoy her videos and generally end up smarter / better as a result.
I did end up newly furious with Amol Rajan for including / praising Rowling's essay in that BBC 'Russell Prize'.
There was a part that Natalie highlighted that was just so ... dripping with condescension and (there must be a word for this) wilful misrepresentation of the nature of trans people.
Even as the most ordinary cis you can imagine it was painful to read, and to see being praised "for the quality of the writing", as Rajan absolved himself of the need to take any stance or study the content of the essay.
Infuriating and cowardly. To divide meaning from the means of expression is to completely dispense with the entire purpose of writing in the first place.
Russell would have vomited.

I'm lodging something about it now as I didn't complain before.

OP
OP
Ramathevoice

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Finally got to the end, watching the last half hour while scrolling on Twitter and realizing that there's currently a discussion in Scotland, of all places, over whether to exclude transphobic speech from the legal definition of hate speech made me profoundly sad.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She brought up something that I never thought about. The phrase trans women are women didn't appear to be problematic at first to me, but she explained very well how it could exclude members of the trans community including non binary people. And equally as important, it shifts the argument from bad faith actors to discuss the semantics of what the term women even means. I only manage to watch half so far though.

She brought up a very good point there, I've personally always wondered why the chant only includes trans women.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I've always liked her approach of trying to see the other side, or at least explore it. I can't help but agree, when you dehumanize the "villain" you might miss the "villain" growing within. Just because you do this doesn't mean you are "both siding" things, but its really hard to do, as shown how the discourse around her is, which is honestly at this point not rational. There is zero debate to be had.
What sort of debate would you hope to see at this point? The only exploration seems to be in how one becomes transphobic, but that is often a sideline discussion - one adopted by this video - to the damage she's causing and what the effects of her campaigning have been and continue to be. Which Natalie only briefly dips her toe into.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
She brought up a very good point there, I've personally always wondered why the chant only includes trans women.
I think it probably evolved from good intention because of the backlash against trans women specifically from prominent TERFs like JK who were singling out trans women for "stealing their rights and focus" etc...

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
"How some self professed feminist women becomes virulently transphobic" may be an upper class issue for cishet women in the west, but it's not in some other countries (for example, mine).

A lot of TERFs I know are lower class women having genuine (but untrue and unfounded) fear that trans women are taking their opportunities. The fear is based on social Darwinism no doubt but they're manifesting in different forms.

Coming from my culture perspective I would have to say that it is important to at least hear the other side and

1. use science and facts to counter disingenuous propaganda
2. But more importantly to reach as many hearts as we can. As I've said above a lot of TERFs aren't privileged women and we need to hear them and address their concerns (while we're doing 1)

Deleted member 5127

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it probably evolved from good intention because of the backlash against trans women specifically from prominent TERFs like JK who were singling out trans women for "stealing their rights and focus" etc...

If you watched the video, Natalie points out that Rowling's essay says more about trans men than trans women. I think her alternative "trans liberation" is a lot better, not only is it more inclusive but it's less likely to spiral into semantics about what it means to be a woman, as she pointed out.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If you watched the video, Natalie points out that Rowling's essay says more about trans men than trans women. I think her alternative "trans liberation" is a lot better, not only is it more inclusive but it's less likely to spiral into semantics about what it means to be a woman.
I did watch the video, I'm not talking about her essay. I'm talking about her rhetoric and the focus of many TERFS on social media. I simply posited a potential reason why "trans women are women" became prominent.

Deleted member 5127

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did watch the video, I'm not talking about her essay. I'm talking about her rhetoric and the focus of many TERFS on social media. I simply posited a potential reason why "trans women are women" became prominent.

The point she brought up with that was that transphobia against trans men seems more looked over, maybe it's more covert, I don't know. Either way, maybe it's time to change it to something more inclusive.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The point she brought up with that was that transphobia against trans men seems more looked over, maybe it's more covert, I don't know. Either way, maybe it's time to change it to something more inclusive.
I understand that, respectfully that doesn't have anything to do with my point. Again, I was simply attempting to reason why we see one phrase more often.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very glad Nat is getting a bunch of cis people to discuss how problematic it is for trans women to say they are women.

That's super cool.

Trans women are women is not the bloody transgender movement slogan entirely

It's the direct response to the trans women are men shit.

Imagine switching that out for trans liberation

Bigot: Trans women are men
Us: Trans liberation!

Useful.

It's hilarious that Nat of all people is making this argument.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very glad Nat is getting a bunch of cis people to discuss how problematic it is for trans women to say they are women.

That's super cool.

Trans women are women is not the bloody transgender movement slogan entirely

It's the direct response to the trans women are men shit.

Imagine switching that out for trans liberation

Bigot: Trans women are men
Us: Trans liberation!

Useful.

It's hilarious that Nat of all people is making this argument.

I don't think people here are stating it's an issue with trans women saying they are women, more that they're discussing why the call itself is more prominent with everyone.

I agree with you, though, it is no the entire movement and it is a direct response.

Oct 27, 2017

For those in the thread who mentioned Judith Butler's recent comments - I highly recommend this excellent interview they did with Owen Jones on that topic amongst other things:

Really like her, she's lovely and really smart. It would totally align on how I view most of the topics, but there is a lot in it to learn.

Could probably do with its own thread as its a bit broarder than just TERFs.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think people here are stating it's an issue with trans women saying they are women, more that they're discussing why the call itself is more prominent with everyone.

I agree with you, though, it is no the entire movement and it is a direct response.

Because it's literally a response to a specific thing. We also say trans men are men and non binary people are non binary people

Nat has a storied history of wanting to just dissappear into society and be seen just as a women... but now she's deeply concerned about "trans women are women"

Trans liberation is a meaningless phrase.

This is just Nat wanting to be some vanguard. Works too Nat says it and now it's a thing, because she's become the trans voice

Blah, Natalie did a whole fucking video shitting on trans women who don't trans women the way she wants, and argues those women make it harder for her to be trans, same withaskingeach other aboutpreferred pronouns... but now she's deeply concerned about trans women needing validation, and moving past that?

Trans liberation means fuck all. Shit TERFS could go yes exactly liberate trans people from the societal forces that make them think they're trans and shit. It's a completely empty thing

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Wow, the video really doesn't feel like ninety minutes. I watched it in two sittings and when it ended just now I was like "what, already?". Truly a testament to Natalie's abilities as a communicator and entertainer.

Really wonderful video that unfortunately the people that would need it the most (and maybe, just maybe, could be changed by it) will never watch to begin with; she really cuts through most of JK's bullshit and plausible deniability attempts with the precision of a surgeon. On another note, I'm so fucking livid every time I remember JK's essay being nominated by the BBC.

Silly aside, but holding a phone in one hand and a book in the other, two of the least submersible objects ever, while in a bathtub of milk and water, was so distracting to me. :)

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Because it's literally a response to a specific thing. We also say trans men are men and non binary people are non binary people

Nat has a storied history of wanting to just dissappear into society and be seen just as a women... but now she's deeply concerned about "trans women are women"

This is just Nat wanting to be some vanguard. Works too Nat says it and now it's a thing, because she's become the trans voice

Blah
Trans men are men does not get said nearly as much as trans women are women, them getting ignored is something that happens quite a bit, I don't think that argument is wrong? Trans liberation now may not be the phrase to go with but honestly most of trans rights discussion is centred on trans women in the media, trans men get left behind, changing that is surely not a bad goal?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Trans men are men does not get said nearly as much as trans women are women, them getting ignored is something that happens quite a bit, I don't think that argument is wrong? Trans liberation now may not be the phrase to go with but honestly most of trans rights discussion is centred on trans women in the media, trans men get left behind, changing that is surely not a bad goal?

Blah
I can only speak from my personal experience, but I see the conversation focus on trans women far more frequently to the point I honestly cannot remember the last time I had to try to reason with someone expressing bigotry specifically at a trans man. I see it expressed at trans people as a whole very often, of course.

I do not think, however, that trans men are being erased here. I think it is to do with the fact prominent TERFs focus most of their attention on trans women, and most of the modern conversation is surrounding things like "men encroaching on female spaces". And that the conversation is what it is out of direct response to what we're seeing.

Despite all of this, I regularly see "trans men are men" said alongside "trans women are women".

I cannot, of course, speak for trans men and understand how they feel about all of this, if they personally feel like they're being erased or forgotten. If we have any trans men reading this thread who would like to chime in, I'd be very interested to hear their perspective.

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Then call out that and argue for people to say the full phrase. Which is a full phrase.

Because we say trans women are women because fucking conservatives and TERFS are presenting us as male sexual predators who want to access women's spaces to rape and assault women and girls.

We're being presented as literal existential threats to women.

And Nat talking this up is bullshit because she'll just make another video eventually shaming some random trans woman for not presenting classically feminine enough for her liking and accuse said woman of setting trans rights back. Natalie is all about respectability politics and cis affirmation so this whole thing is just massively hypocritical.

Steak

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, if your analysis of the hypervisiblity of trans women and the erasure of trans men resolves to "it's bad that people are saying trans women are women more than they're saying trans men are men" you should probably just stay quiet.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I agreed with that segment so feel some onus to expand upon it. I saw it predominantly as a criticism of how it's often a default phrase for some cis people to chant in support, where the full version isn't. Trans people using it often do so in direct response to someone specifically questioning the validity of trans women as women, and to that there's little issue. A lot of the virulent attacks from TERFs are centered around trans women, responding to that in specific shouldn't be taken as a dismissal of other identities.

Then again I don't think someone who's whined about cancel culture and poked at various minority issues before, saying they've always wondered why it was focused on trans women, was ever in good faith in the first place.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Just to expand on my point earlier that I don't think the phrase Trans women are women should be done a way with just that maybe it should become the main chant of the movement which it has become by Allies. There are many times when Trans women are women is apt just not every time. The full phrase just isn't really as catchy as short phrases are. I don't know if it's that big an issue though that wouldn't be solved on its own by having more prominent trans men and non binary people in media which should have a push anyway

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

I'm convinced the only people Nat hates and has no actual sympathy for is online trans people who don't trans the way Natalie Wynn desires

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Also hilarious she zeroes in on trans women are women

When the other ally thing was to get them to say "trans rights" or "trans rights are human rights"

But she didn't invent those I guess!

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
This was a really informative and eye-opening watch. I wasn't initially familiar with ContraPoints's work so this is my first video and it really explained well the vendetta J.K Rowling has coupled with showcasing that trash book she released. Thank you for sharing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.