• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Felt like the writers way to give him some importance he lacked so make him special and now it's all good.

He had a story as a storm trooper. They even revisited it. Ah well.

I will have to rewatch awakens and watch for it I guess

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would something be really obvious that literally makes 0 sense?
Because it's the only logical thing after they go out of the way to show that Finn is force sensitive multiple times.

When he first says the line, you think, "Wait, what? Rey/Finn was shut down already. Now we have Finn/Rose and Rey/Kylo. What else could he want to tell her?" Then you are that see that he's force sensitive, and you think, "Oh. That's obviously what he wanted to tell her then. How stupid."

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's been pointed out to you, several times, the multiple hints that he's force sensitive that exist in TFA. His being familiar with technology does not preclude him from being Force Sensitive. It's also pretty pointless comparing his journey in discovering that he's Force Sensitive to Rey's because they're different people who have different levels of Force ability. She's a straight up Force User and we've nothing to suggest Finn is or will be a Force user but that, again, doesn't mean he's not Force Sensitive. Again, just like Chirrut in Rogue One. Force Sensitive with no signs of Force Use.
There is, the one scene when Hosnian Prime is destroyed, it makes no sense for there to be completely different hints for both characters. Or even for there to be different levels of force ability, that's not how the force works. It doesn't work like levels in death stranding. Finn never needed to be force sensitive in this trilogy and that certainly was a clear case of poor writing when they tried to turn it into something he needed to keep secret to put in some awkward drama between him and the others as if ANYONE in the story would take issue with the idea.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I thought it was that he loved her.

The movie does strongly imply he's force senses though.

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
The movie implies he's force sensitive a million times, but it also makes it very clear that that's not what he wanted to tell Rey. Otherwise, why would they need to be alone and why would that be the thing that pops into his mind when he thinks he's about to die? He loves her, but JJ didn't want to commit to that because TLJ moved past the romantic aspect of that relationship (that movie also has a whole arc about Finn learning to actually be engaged in the plight of the rebellion, instead of just being along for the ride because of his friends, but I guess we're back to "Reeeeeyyy!!" again).

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
There is, the one scene when Hosnian Prime is destroyed, it makes no sense for there to be completely different hints for both characters. Or even for there to be different levels of force ability, that's not how the force works. It doesn't work like levels in death stranding. Finn never needed to be force sensitive in this trilogy and that certainly was a clear case of poor writing when they tried to turn it into something he needed to keep secret to put in some awkward drama between him and the others as if ANYONE in the story would take issue with the idea.

There's the opening scene, the scene where Kylo automatically knows exactly which Stormtrooper it was that ran, and the scene when the New Republic planets are destroyed. There absolutely is different degrees of Force attunement and that has always existed in Star Wars since the OT. It's why Leia doesn't have *any* physical Force feats showcased at all until TROS (an argument can be made for TLJ there too). I'm not talking power levels, I'm talking about being in tune with The Force. Feeling it and understanding what it's communicating.

It doesn't matter if Finn "never needed" to be force sensitive. He is. He has been shown to be so since TFA. His being so isn't, in and of itself, bad writing. Clinging to the quicksand scene as if that one segment means the entirety of the concept that Finn is Force Sensitive is bad is an extremely questionable stance. Maybe that's not what you're trying to say but you're absolutely insinuating that. That scene itself doesn't even give off any awkward drama. It's literally played for comedic effect. That you're misrepresenting it as dramatic is disingenuous. I'm honestly getting the vibe that you're letting a negative opinion about TROS effect your stance on something that happened two movies earlier.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
The movie implies he's force sensitive a million times, but it also makes it very clear that that's not what he wanted to tell Rey. Otherwise, why would they need to be alone and why would that be the thing that pops into his mind when he thinks he's about to die? He loves her, but JJ didn't want to commit to that because TLJ moved past the romantic aspect of that relationship (that movie also has a whole arc about Finn learning to actually be engaged in the plight of the rebellion, instead of just being along for the ride because of his friends, but I guess we're back to "Reeeeeyyy!!" again).
Funny thing is I don't think TLJ moved past it, per se. I thought it simply got interrupted by the emergency of the moment. Rey HAD to be elsewhere. Finn was in a coma and had to help save the last of the rebellion. Them coming back together could have meant a proper return to that affection. Absence could have made the hearts grow fonder.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Bullshit. I don't believe him.

Finn was chasing after Rey like a love-sick puppy dog for 3 whole fucking movies. We all know what he wanted to tell Rey. So did Poe.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing is I don't think TLJ moved past it, per se. I thought it simply got interrupted by the emergency of the moment. Rey HAD to be elsewhere. Finn was in a coma and had to help save the last of the rebellion. Them coming back together could have meant a proper return to that affection.

Yup, nothing was really stopping it from returning. Finn didn't view Rose that way, and even with Rey apparently being into Kylo, she rejected him by the end. Hell, this movie has Finn go straight back to pining after her, calling out her name every 5 seconds lol

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing is I don't think TLJ moved past it, per se. I thought it simply got interrupted by the emergency of the moment. Rey HAD to be elsewhere. Finn was in a coma and had to help save the last of the rebellion. Them coming back together could have meant a proper return to that affection.

Finn meets Rose and he becomes a rebel because he starts believing in what they're fighting for. In TFA after the initial motivation of getting the fuck away from the First Order, every single thing he does is motivated by his relationship with Rey. TLJ goes past that, which doesn't mean that he doesn't still love her, but he has now grown into his own, that's not his defining character trait anymore. And then came JJ.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
There's the opening scene, the scene where Kylo automatically knows exactly which Stormtrooper it was that ran, and the scene when the New Republic planets are destroyed. There absolutely is different degrees of Force attunement and that has always existed in Star Wars since the OT. It's why Leia doesn't have *any* physical Force feats showcased at all until TROS (an argument can be made for TLJ there too). I'm not talking power levels, I'm talking about being in tune with The Force. Feeling it and understanding what it's communicating.
Leia had no training unlike Luke. It essentially takes away Finn's agency as a normal person for the sake of making him special.

It doesn't matter if Finn "never needed" to be force sensitive. He is. He has been shown to be so since TFA. His being so isn't, in and of itself, bad writing. Clinging to the quicksand scene as if that one segment means the entirety of the concept that Finn is Force Sensitive is bad is an extremely questionable stance.
It's not just the quicksand scene, it's multiple instances where force sensitivity would come in based on what we know about how force sensitivity works. It's a contrived twist for the sake of twists in a film that's full of that type of twists.

Finn meets Rose and he becomes a rebel because he starts believing in what they're fighting for. In TFA after the initial motivation of getting the fuck away from the First Order, every single thing he does is motivated by his relationship with Rey. TLJ goes past that, which doesn't mean that he doesn't still love her, but he has now grown into his own, that's not his defining character trait anymore. And then came JJ.
Remember how JJ respected Finn, (who was written to be a character that lied until halfway trough the movie before nearly compromising the entire resistance and thus the galaxy for the sake of rescuing Rey....).

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, nothing was really stopping it from returning. Finn didn't view Rose that way, and even with Rey apparently being into Kylo, she rejected him by the end. Hell, this movie has Finn go straight back to pining after her, calling out her name every 5 seconds lol
Even with Rey in TLJ she keeps wanting to check in on Finn when on the island, asks Chewie to give him a message in case she doesn't make it but can't get the words right, and when they finally see each other again they have the big embrace moment. It was so weird to just... not follow up on any of this at all.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Leia had no training unlike Luke. It essentially takes away Finn's agency as a normal person for the sake of making him special.

This statement makes zero sense. Nothing about being Force Sensitive takes away Finn's agency.

It's not just the quicksand scene, it's multiple instances where force sensitivity would come in based on what we know about how force sensitivity works. It's a contrived twist for the sake of twists in a film that's full of that type of twists.

What are you even talking about? "...Based on what we know about how Force Sensitivity works." There is NO explanation about how Force Sensitivity works. It's one of the aspects of The Force that has had the least actual explanation. Rogue One is the only film that even slightly makes a statement on it and that film primarily plays it as mystical. Outside of that we have Obi Wan's reaction in ANH. And Leia's connection to Luke over lightyears of distance. None of that is a detailed description of how it works. And Finn's scenes throughout TFA and TROS showcase those same signs and more.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit tough to swallow that J.J. didn't realize he filmed a scene that strayed into the very common "dying declaration of love" trope.

If it was his intent to purposely create that moment as misdirection, that angle creates even more questions than it answers because there is no discernable payoff or point.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
how would she have not already have fucking known this? they've been fighting together for a year. do they talk at all?

It was really uncomfortable how this plotline was left dangling while rose was shunted off into the "annoying nag" corner for the whole movie. it made finn seem like he didn't really care about her.

something i liked about the first movie was that being force sensitive wasn't seen as this exclusive club any more. it's something anyone can do on some small level: emptying their mind and following their instincts. That's what I thought the point of Finn trying to save Rey with her lightsaber was: he's still just a normal guy, but wielding this weapon that is a symbolic representation of the force is still something he can do, even if he isn't as powerful as kylo or rey.

So, uh, why would this be an appropriate thing to say when dying?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
how would she have not already have fucking known this? they've been fighting together for a year. do they talk at all?

It was really uncomfortable how this plotline was left dangling while rose was shunted off into the "annoying nag" corner for the whole movie. it made finn seem like he didn't really care about her.

something i liked about the first movie was that being force sensitive wasn't seen as this exclusive club any more. it's something anyone can do on some small level: emptying their mind and following their instincts. That's what I thought the point of Finn trying to save Rey with her lightsaber was: he's still just a normal guy, but wielding this weapon that is a symbolic representation of the force is still something he can do, even if he isn't as powerful as kylo or rey.

So, uh, why would this be an appropriate thing to say when dying?
agree.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Finn's in the friendzone, it would be pretty pathetic for him to confess his love.

Perhaps that's why they're now going with this nonsensical, "I'm force sensitive", confession. Confessing love wouldn't do a lot for Finn's character, and if real friendships where one person has different feelings to the other are anything to go by, it would probably lead to Finn and Rey's relationship hitting the buffers at some point.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
The read I got in the cinema was that it was supposed to look like a classic "I love you" reveal moments before death, only to be interrupted, but then you see all the hints of Force-sensitivity from Finn all the way through the movie and then when it finally comes back for the pay off at the end of the movie it's "Guess what I'm a Jedi too". Except it obviously never gets paid off because the movie is a mess.

And, I know, you think critically about it for a second and you immediately realise that "I'm Force-sensitive!" is a super weird thing to blurt out to your friend before you die. My explanation for that would be (hear me out here) that JJ is really bad at this and never actually considered that.

Feb 24, 2018
This annoys me so much, ignoring that it doesn't make any thematic sense for the scene at all as others have pointed out or even a logical one, it honestly seems to me to ripped away and retconned one of the best elements of The Last Jedi I really liked, the removal of the gatekeeping of who could be force sensitive, that anyone can be a Jedi if they wanted to if they removed the idea of the impossible and believed plus it felt like it fitted well into Finn's arc from The Last Jedi about find something to fight for and to believe in and the belief is so strong that is has allowed him to control the force.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
As many problems as the film had, it was quite obviously implied Finn was Force sensitive at a few points. He visibly senses when Rey dies, for instance.
They pulled plenty out of their butt for TROS, but I can easily see the Kylo/Rey romance being on the cards all along, even in TLJ their interactions can be looked at as having a romantic tone pretty easily (albeit with a total shutting down of that when Rey rejects his offer, but that's just one of many thing JJ backtracked on).

With that said, that this was his secret he had to say apparently on the moment of death is nonsensical on too many levels.

Yeah, Finn-being-Force-sensitive was definitely always in the script. I was postulating that Finn's "I have something to tell you" lines were originally meant to be about romantic feelings for Rey, but that's really awkward when the final movie is clearly pushing Kylo+Rey. I don't have any evidence for this (hence the question mark in my original post), but perhaps the Kylo+Rey kiss was a late addition, and JJ is now trying to pretend that Finn's secret was non-romantic to avoid showing the seams of the script rewrites.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Oh, I thought it was that he loved her.

The movie does strongly imply he's force senses though.
It does but that isn't something to confess on your deathbed that you'd then be embarrassed to tell your best(?) friend Poe about while he knew it was something between Rey and Finn only.

Also him being force sensitive isn't actually used in an interesting way in the movie, it just circumvents one of the many convoluted contrivances (the communication tower/star destroyer stuff).

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Two things:

1. That Finns' Force sensitive was in multiple points in the movie
2. That quicksand scene *does not* allude to this confession. It's the last thing I personally expected Finn to tell Rey as he was apparently dying

So I guess my expectations were... subverted
via Twitter

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah, Finn-being-Force-sensitive was definitely always script. I was postulating that Finn's original "I have something to tell you" lines were meant to be about romantic feelings for Rey, but that feels really awkward when the final movie is clearly pushing Kylo+Rey. I don't have any evidence for this (hence the question mark in my original post), but perhaps the Kylo+Rey kiss was a late addition, and JJ is now trying to pretend that Finn's secret was non-romantic to avoid showing the seams of the script.
Considering Kylo vanished in an earlier version of the script after being thrown by palpatine that's a pretty good assumption.

The reason Finn confessing his love to Rey seems incongruent with the end of the movie is because it was a sloppily made film that failed to account for changes in editing/the script.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Would've been cool for it to have just played out as:

Finn:Rey, I love you
Rey: I know

Would've even created a bit of fun brief drama and banter with Poe there.
But we get 100 millon other useless OT callbacks instead.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They just want to keep kicking that Rey/Finn can down the road just in case huge piles of money can convince any of these actors to come back in a decade.

#ReyFinn2030

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
Lol what a dumb fucking thing to say right before you die. It's not like they explore it in any capacity.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
EDIT: I changed my mind. There's just no point in discussing Star Wars with people on the internet.

Enjoy endlessidly and cynically nitpicking things to death. Seriously. If that's what floats your boat go for it, but I'm out.

Last edited:

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
So, the thing Finn wanted to say when he thought they were going to die and the thing he couldn't say with Poe around was 'I'm Force Sensitive'? Amazing writing there, JJ.

(Our characters are slowly sinking to a certain death)
Finn: "Hey Rey, before we die I wanna tell you something!"
Rey: "What is it Finn?"
Finn: "I'm Force Sensitive!"
Rey: "Uhm, okay. Good for you, I guess? Don't really see how that's relevant in this situation."

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, the thing Finn wanted to say when he thought they were going to die and the thing he couldn't say with Poe around was 'I'm Force Sensitive'? Amazing writing there, JJ.

(Our characters are slowly sinking to a certain death)
Finn: "Hey Rey, before we die I wanna tell you something!"
Rey: "What is it Finn?"
Finn: "I'm Force Sensitive!"
Rey: "Uhm, okay. Good for you, I guess? Don't really see how that's relevant in this situation."
I've seen this come up a few times and it's surprised me. Finding out you're force sensitive is a huge deal and really personal. So I'd definitely believe it's the kind of thing Finn would struggle to find the 'right time' to tell Rey, and something that she'd be really pleased about.

My issue is that this could have been a great moment and JJ seemed to forget to put it in XD

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Finn: "Rey, I have to tell you something!"
Rey: "What?"
Finn: "Me and Poe have got a thing going on."
Rey: "You've got a thing going on?"
Poe: "We've got a thing going on?"
Finn: "We have a thing going on now!"
Rey: "They have a thing going on now."

Oct 26, 2017
Okay? There's lots of people who are force sensitives. There's even in-canon religious orders orientated around the force who aren't the Jedi or Sith.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, this bullshit was the very first thing that came to mind when I walked out of the theatre and the wave of what utter shit I just watched washed over me.