• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I found that the best way to enjoy movies and shows is to avoid discussing them online.

Negativity, subjectivity and pointless bickering will always prevail among the over analyzing crowd.

I haven't seen the movie yet but I'm sure I'll have a great time with it. Just like the other movies since the Disney relaunch

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is both a nice response and probably a pretty accurate peek into the input he considers when making movies.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Lord in heaven, what do you people want him to say? That his movie sucks while he's on the middle of promoting it?

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Pretty much if you enjoy or not enjoy you are both right. It is like all media consumption is subjective huh?

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
User Warned: Antagonizing other members.
I don't feel the need to justify myself. Why do people even care if other people like something that they themselves don't? Who gives a fuck?

It's like finding a rare earth mineral or a new species of spider. When someone likes The Rise of Skywalker, you need to study it to find out more.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
It's like finding a rare earth mineral or a new species of spider. When someone likes The Rise of Skywalker, you need to study it to find out more.

Do you even think before you spout this nonsense? It has an 86% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes. The vast majority of people like it. If you don't like it so much why do you care?

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
Do you even think before you spout this nonsense? It has an 86% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes. The vast majority of people like it. If you don't like it so much why do you care?
He probably stalks GOT writers, is pining for a Harry Potter remake and hates Captain Marvel. Let him stew in his juices.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a good response, but sadly this attempt to please everyone almost never works, especially for the Star Wars fandom

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
He's been saying this for quite a bit of time now!

See: video below..!! (@ 3:23)

Everytime I read a comment that's 'unsupportive' (which is a kind way of saying... brutal), I kinda go, 'Huh, like you know, they got a point.' And whenever I read someone saying, 'Oh he's the greatest...' I always feel like I sympathize with the people who have more negative things to say [...] you know, spirited debate isn't a bad thing.

Last edited:

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
For a series and fan base left shattered by RJ and TLJ he did the best he could.

If TLJ didn't happen we could have gotten a much different movie.

Sure there was some things I was like "hmmm" but otherwise he macguyvred the shit out of it.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can respect that response. Will it make talking about Star Wars a massive not a massive trash fire? Unfortunately I don't believe so.

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The funny thing is, I can't tell which is actually the better movie between them. TLJ, despite its flaws (I don't care for that film) seemed in most ways put together better as a film. Not as a Star Wars story, but as a film in general. With the entire Canto Bight section omitted of course. The latest film feels very rushed and cramped, but had a lot of "cool stuff" going on, but just didn't feel nearly as professional.
Parts of TLJ taken in isolation are competent, some good, but they come together to make a bad movie. Many parts taken in isolation are also bad, like the bombs falling in space.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly there's no point to asking a director right after the movie maybe like months from now

He gave honestly the best answer to this

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
For a series and fan base left shattered by RJ and TLJ he did the best he could.

Sure there was some things I was like "hmmm" but otherwise he macguyvred the shit out of it.

It's hilarious people are blaming TLJ/Rian for this movies faults. If it was critically praised and better written you just know it would have been in spite of what came before it. If this is the best JJ could have done maybe they should have got someone else.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017

I agree TLJ put Ep 9 in a tough spot right out of the gate, but that's still no excuse for the film JJ made. He had free reign to do any number of things, and yet he went with the script he did and made a disjointed poorly paced mess of a movie. TLJ made his work harder, but it's not TLJ's fault JJ made a bad film.

TRoS is a lot like Star Trek Into Darkness really, and that's not a compliment.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
That's a very neutral response. I expected nothing less from JJ Abrams

-TLJ didn't left him with a clean state, I mean, last movie had to introduce a new Threat and also resolve it.

So Kylo Ren didn't exist? The First Order wasn't still around? The Resistance wasn't dwindled down to practically nothing? You could most certainly build off that.

Kylo Ren = Bad guy
Luke's death = inspires more to come forward and fight for the Resistance
The Resistance, with the help of the last Jedi, defeat The first Order and Kylo Ren despite insurmountable odds.

Fill in the blanks and it writes itself. Abrams took the last way out and is getting much deserved shit for it. He creates these new characters only to make them the second point of interest instead of the primary interest. The old characters should have been secondary.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It has a B+ from Cinemascore which is the way better metric. When it comes to SW that's a D from the audience considering not even the prequels went that low.

This movie is unpopular even with general audiences. The BO numbers also speak for themselves.

The "vast majority" of people didn't like it. This is a bad movie. It's also OK to like bad movies so there's no need for people to get defensive also out it.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Felt like he wrote the script on a napkin the night before shooting started.

There are a lot of what seem like crazy behind the scene stories, and apparently hours and hours of footage from characters that don't show up in the movie. Lando's daughter is supposed to be Jannah and he was hanging out on that festival planet forever, waiting/looking for her. Matt Smith (Dr. Who) was cast as a character from the cartoons, the Son of Mortis a sort of Darth Bane character dunno if he shot his scenes.The dagger of Mortis is the sith dagger Rey hunts for and is a big story plot in one of the cartoon series apparently. Billie Lourdes (Carrie Smith's daughter) was to have a more extensive role.

Behind the scenes stories down the road is gonna be interesting, but it sounds like there were three different versions of the story

- one JJ wrote with some input from George Lucas back in 2017. This one had almost no Emperor Palpatine in it, and more focused on Carrie and the main cast. This is what might have been shot for a while?
- one that the CEO of Disney (and others?) preferred that had lots of palpatine
- a third one the Star Wars lore group (and others?) preferred. Dunno much about this.

A lot of reshooting happened in 2019 up until Oct of this year which is kinda nuts. JJ is a team player though and while he had pretty independent and strong control and didn't have to design by committee the movie, especially from Lucasfilm/Lore group which is notorious for interfering, he still probably listened to what Bob Iger (CEO) wanted and made the film more fan and newbie friendly instead of following the ideas from back in 2017. Who knows what parts TLJ had in it too, while publicly he has praised TLJ and said it did what he wanted its also bizarre that there are a ton of moments in TROS that essentially retcon/reverse/handwave TLJ beats.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Parts of TLJ taken in isolation are competent, some good, but they come together to make a bad movie. Many parts taken in isolation are also bad, like the bombs falling in space.

I mean yeah, that was silly, but come on. Explosions like they happen in space in Star Wars are "bad" too. Many things in Star Wars are "bad" if you're comparing them to real physics. Besides, is it so easy to believe in what the Imperial Bombers are doing, yet a more physical based tech cannot be a possibility? I wasn't really talking about what was believable anyway with my criticism as much as TLJ just seemed to be more competent on a technical level. I absolutely disliked most of the story, but in hindsight it seems the better made film.

Otheradam

Nov 1, 2017
Is this the first time JJ was forced to write an ending to something as opposed to setting up vague mysteries?

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Citation needed, is there really anyone who feels this way about this movie? I'm afraid to look at reddit SW to find out.
I do. Even acknowledging that the critiques are all correct, having grown up with Star Wars from the beginning, I thought the film was spectacular and a perfect conclusion for me.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I really disliked/disagreed with the new film from everything top to bottom, but I think he's correct.

It's his film, so it's his story to tell. I think he handled nearly everything that RJ did in service to course correct the Star Wars universe priorities poorly.

That being said, I don't want to live in a world of blind hatred and disagreement that the people who enjoyed Last Jedi had to sit through, the bullshit gatekeeping "oh, you enjoyed TLJ? You're not a real Star Wars fan!" stuff.

The Viral assumed hatred/love of something that revolves around wizards and space knights is wrong. To live and die with "this director and writer didn't do things the way I like it" is dumb, so you kind of have to just let it be.

That all being said, he was the one who made the film, the film is made. I can dislike it, someone else can love it. I won't gatekeep their enjoyment of it. I can't deny that it exists and is the final word on these nine films. Everyone is as right as they are wrong. We can all move along.

Dec 22, 2017

You must know there are literally millions of people who like the prequels, so maybe don't be so obtuse.

I thought Rise of Skywalker was dumb, bloated, and borderline ridiculous at times. But I also enjoyed the performances, set pieces, and the fact that it's didn't have a cynical, misanthropic message at it's heart. I put it on the same level as The Lone Ranger, John Carter and some of the PotC sequels. Harmless, dumb, family friendly adventures churned out by Disney like theme park rides. I can totally see how people would be disappointed, but my inner ten year old enjoyed it.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
I say this knowing many will pounce on me, but I do.

I also understand that's due to my own lens and life experiences. But the message and theme I took from this movie really resonated with me.

It's not perfect. It has plot and pacing issues. But for what it was, I really really liked it. I would never expect or tell someone to like it like I do. But for me and who I am, I really dug it.

I apologize in advance for liking a thing. I know that makes me a bad fan or person or whatever. (Not saying that to you, but to the general Star Wars dump on going on right now)
My man. I feel EXACTLY the same way. There are at least 2 of us :)