• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Despite seemingly being done playing C-3PO after Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, franchise legend Anthony Daniels has teased that fans haven't seen the last of the dithering droid.

Speaking on The View, Daniels discussed his Episode IX arc and confessed, "Oh, he's not over. I said to J.J. when we were filming, 'Maybe it's time to put 3PO to sleep, to give him an end,' and he said, 'Not on my watch.'"

C-3PO's demise was teased in the marketing of The Rise of Skywalker and made fans believe he would be one of the movie's big casualties. Instead, his iconic line of "Taking one last look, sir, at my friends" was the droid sacrificing his memory to decode a Sith message that would lead the heroes to Palpatine on Exegol. By the time the credits rolled, C-3PO had his memory restored by R2-D2's data banks and carried on with his life alongside his long-time companion.

More at: https://www.cbr.com/star-wars-anthony-daniels-c-3po-isnt-done/

Wipe my memory banks if old

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You can't do a death scene if you are going to reverse it like 5 minutes later.

Star Wars TROS was guilty of doing this in multiple instances baffllingly enough.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
He should have kept his memory wiped. Also the hell is R2 doing with backups...does that mean 3p0 can get his prequel memories back???

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
C-3PO and R2 should never be killed off, they are the Skywalker family heirlooms and it's cool how they have endured the whole story.

That said, the fakeout JJ pulled with 3PO in this film was lame. What's even lamer is that he pulled the same stunt with Sheev, Chewie, Rey, Zorii and Kylo as well. He did it in Star Trek Into Darkness too by cheaply resurrecting Kirk at the end. The man is a hack who is too afraid to actually challenge the audience.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The whole scene was kinda pointless, especially that comment about taking one last look at his friends. How any of them were his friends I'll never know. We never even saw them hang out. It's not like he was saying it to Luke and Leia. Now that shit would've been sad.

Regardless, of course we haven't seen the last of C3PO. He's gonna show up in the High Republic era and at some point he'll end up shutting down on a desert planet where some slave kid will find him centuries later and fix him up.

😏

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
While I was watching the movie, I had this wonderful idea in my head that after C-3PO gets wiped, he sits down with R2 at the end and R2 starts telling him of all the adventures they had together. Could have been a sweet moment.

But they fucked it up.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Rey: "I'm dead."
Kylo Ren: "I'm dead."
Kylo Ren: "No, wait. I'm alive. Oh, my God, Rey! You're dead!"
Rey: "No, wait. I'm alive. Oh, my God, Ben! You're dead!"

Dear God, imagine thinking Rian ruined Star Wars when this exists.

CypherSignal

Oct 25, 2017
That said, the fakeout JJ pulled with 3PO in this film was lame. What's even lamer is that he pulled the same stunt with Sheev, Chewie, Rey, Zorii and Kylo as well. He did it in Star Trek Into Darkness too by cheaply resurrecting Kirk at the end. The man is a hack who is too afraid to actually challenge the audience.
You forgot they did it with Poe in TFA, too.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The whole scene was kinda pointless, especially that comment about taking one last look at his friends. How any of them were his friends I'll never know. We never even saw them hang out. It's not like he was saying it to Luke and Leia. Now that shit would've been sad.
Well, technically Luke and Leia were his masters not his "friends". 3PO is huge on protocol and politeness so it would be weird for him to call Luke his friend all of a sudden.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
While I was watching the movie, I had this wonderful idea in my head that after C-3PO gets wiped, he sits down with R2 at the end and R2 starts telling him of all the adventures they had together. Could have been a sweet moment.

But they fucked it up.

ph god tha';d have been great - makign me quite melancholic thinking about it.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
C-3PO and R2 should never be killed off, they are the Skywalker family heirlooms and it's cool how they have endured the whole story.

That said, the fakeout JJ pulled with 3PO in this film was lame. What's even lamer is that he pulled the same stunt with Sheev, Chewie, Rey, Zorii and Kylo as well. He did it in Star Trek Into Darkness as well by cheaply resurrecting Kirk at the end. The man is a hack who is too afraid to actually challenge the audience.
Agreed. As much as I love to "hate" c3-po him and R2-D2 are the caretakers of the whole story. They balance each other's personalities out as well.

Plus I saw star wars in concert in New Orleans with my wife and Anthony Daniels was the mc so I begrudgingly root for c3-po. Plus he was actually funny in the last movie

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Well, Kylo/Ben is dead for real at least

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The whole running joke about him thinking all the wild shit was happening to him for the first time got really fucking old really fucking fast.

New Mandalorian can't come quick enough. The internet needs this movie to fade into the rear view in the worst way.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
That "one last look at my friend's" scene where he sounds like he was going to cry was so goddamn lame. It needed R2 there to call him a fucking dork as an immediate follow-up.

Rolodzeo

Nov 10, 2017
Spain, EU
In TROS:

-Chewie died, but not really
-C3PO died, but not really
-Palpatine was dead, but not really
-Kylo died, but not really. But really, he dead.
-Rey died, but not really

I mean...

Star Wars died, but The Mandalorian

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It would have been more stupid to not have an backup of his data tbh.
Chewies fake death was worse.
I also totally expected the Falcon to get destroyed in some last second "save them all" maneuver.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
5xh36xje6d141.jpg

NiallGGlynn

Apr 16, 2019
Remember C3PO with a gun in the marketing materials and people thought he was gonna get his battle droid memories back and kill people? Better movie.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
It would have been more stupid to not have an backup of his data tbh.
Chewies fake death was worse.
The worst thing about it was the editing, the scene order is:

- Chewie "dies"
- It is revealed Chewie is alive
- The rest of the gang grieve

They couldn't even give it five fucking minutes and some impact before reversing it

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

- Chewie "dies"

They couldn't even give it five fucking minutes and some impact before reversing it
I literally thought the grieving scene was meant to be humorous and ironic due to this editing

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland

- Chewie "dies"

The editing around that was generally really wierd. Them leaving the ship it was really hard to judge the space around them. Like they are at the ship on top of a rock with tons of desert around them but when they leave the ship they are slinking around rocky corners the 2 imperial ships couldnt see them for some reason. None of it really made framing sense to me.

Only seen it the once but this scene in general was fucking terrible.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
It was also never really made clear why Rey felt the need to go stand in the desert and wait for Kylo in the first place

Also Chewie is told to bring her back to the ship and instead of calling out to her with his extremely loud roar, he just tries to walk all the way up to her? Before being captured without a struggle by Kylo's backing dancers.

Honestly saw it the first time. That was kinda worse though because when only one ship appeared above them I already knew there was a reason they didn't show both ships flying. Cue eyeroll.

Yeah it was telegraphed and they knew it. That's why they undid it so fast. Also as soon as the idea of 3PO's memory being wiped is brought up they also mention the possibility that R2 has them backed up in his data banks. You just can't help but roll your eyes as this movie unfolds in such a predictable way. It's a movie that is afraid of the audience, probably due to TLJ, the strategy seemed to be that nobody can get upset if nothing unexpected happens.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was incredible on how much they decided to do death fake outs. Completely sucked out any of the tension the movie could have had.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
The whole "there was a second ship" thing is bad fan fiction levels of retconning ffs...

- Chewie "dies"

I agree with both of these. The scene where Kylo and Rey are fighting over the ship was super cool. Rey not able to control her powers and foreshadowing that she is a Palpatine was great, but Chewie should have been dead for real in this case just to make it more impact- and meaningful. Also didn't help that the trailer already showed Chewie-scenes after that part of the movie ;)

Jun 3, 2018
I actually thought the scene would lead to C3PO getting his Prequel memories back. Imagine him going going from "one last look at my friends" to "Holy shit, I was build by Darth Vader". It also could have played a role in Kylo's redemption as he could tell him how his grandfather was used by Palpatine.
But nope, it's just pointless drama to waste time.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Movie had so many fakeouts I thought I was watching Final Fantasy IV

Last edited:

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Saw this shit coming when they showed dark side Rey in the trailer. I mean why even bother showing that in the trailer when it's pretty much impossible and not gonna happen like ever.

Fuck this movie. This movie is by far worse than the prequals IMO and I didn't even like he last jedi.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

But they fucked it up.
That would have actually made for a very sweet ending.