• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"J.R.R. Tolkien created one of the most extraordinary and inspiring stories of all time, and as a lifelong fan it is an honor and a joy to join this amazing team," said Bayona. "I can't wait to take audiences around the world to Middle-earth and have them discover the wonders of the Second Age, with a never before seen story."

Bayona also will executive produce alongside his producing partner Belén Atienza.

The Lord of the Rings series is written by feature scribes JD Payne and Patrick McKay. They lead a writers room, which is believed to include Breaking Bad alumna Gennifer Hutchison and Game Of Thrones veteran Bryan Cogman, among others.

Rolodzeo

Nov 10, 2017
Spain, EU
JW2 is trash, but I have faith in Bayona, so...

cyxo81w.png

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Ehhh not big on the writing team or the director here. Hopefully this defies expectations tho

Deleted member 54320

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
I'm so worried about this series. I really don't want it to have that "TV" look. The Lord of the Rings trilogy looks and sounds great. I'm just hoping it doesn't turn into what Game of Thrones was by the end of its run.

Please be good. Please.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This is INCREDIBLE stuff.

Bayona is a great director, and really works well with the material he is given. This series is going to look fucking stunning.

I'm so worried about this series. I really don't want it to have that "TV" look. The Lord of the Rings trilogy looks and sounds great. I'm just hoping it doesn't turn into what Game of Thrones was by the end of its run.

Please be good. Please.

With Bayona at the helm, the look of the series will be the last the thing we need to worry about honestly.

santi_yo

Oct 26, 2017
That's great news. He's a good director and knows how to work within fantasy elements.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017

Please be good. Please.
Amazon doesn't have many great shows, but their production values are through the roof. They aren't gonna cheap out on this one.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
This actually feels a bit of a get for Amazon.

Interesting that this is Bayona's first gig after coming off of JW2 which was awful but a hit.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I saw a Jurassic world 2 in theatres it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen
The actual direction of that movie wasn't really one of its problems.

He's good, this is in good hands at least in that department. Let's see about the script.

EDIT: I mean, of course he's gonna attacht himself to such an opportunity lol, who can blame him. Stuff like that movie (which I think made quite a bit of money still) grants him more chances to do what he wants.

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
JW2 was baaaaaaaaad, but maybe this will turn out decent.

Idk tho, Amazon wanna will this into a GoT type of hit but they need to have the guys they got writing to really throw it down, this shit can't be mediocre like so many would-be TV behemoths.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
The Downfall of Numenor is what I expect we'll see in the opening episodes, plus an exposition dump of the happenings of the First Age.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
if they wanted to create hype they should have announced that miguel sapochnik is getting unlimited budget and doing all the episodes.

Oct 25, 2017
Jurassic World 2 was complete crap, but Bayona's directing wasn't one of the reasons. I'm glad he's getting another shot with a better script.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
JW 2 is one of the most stunning beautifull bad movies I ever watched. Bayona directed the hell out of that crap script, I think he will be great in this

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
After the orphanage I thought JA was the next big director. Been a pretty steady decline since that.

Oct 30, 2017
I will echo others that it really wasn't the directing or visuals cause JW2 is a good looking film, as I don't think anyone can make that script work right.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
He's definitely got some big shoes to fill. This will be the first non-Peter Jackson interpretation of Middle-earth in live action.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Looked him up, since I don't remember anything he has worked on prior -- he has a solid track record outside of JW2 for the most part; JW2 was just a mess of a film that could have used a much better script.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The director is basically as good as what ever the script handed to him is, I think many people don't understand that.

He's a competent director it seems from being able to get projects done and has worked on CG heavy feature length films before so he should be more than up to the task of this.

Whether or not it's "good" comes down to what's on the page.

DvergrBlod

Oct 26, 2017
I'm also interested that do they use stuff from Weta. Like some props and especially unused designs.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Very talented director as anyone who's seen his non-JW films knows, and even then he made Fallen Kingdom make look quite gorgeous at times even though the script was total dogshit.

DvergrBlod

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure that would work aesthetically. Numenor in its prime was vastly different to Middle-earth in decay in the Third Age.
I was thinking something like designs from that scene of Last Alliance. And to continue my train of thought, will they visually try to keep these in the same universe as films. But that we'll see.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure on the writers but he's a great director. I fucking hate Fallen Kingdom but that movie managed to have some great direction despite a breathtakingly dumb script.

it had some decent horror direction. the movie was so god awful though that it was hard to appreciate any of that. plus I didn't care for his talking tree movie too tbh.