• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bad_carbs

Oct 25, 2017
I would be this way about any CEO

This is unhealthy
You know, maybe, just maybe, that not all people who recognizes his achievements and talks about them in this thread don't necessarily have a shrine dedicated to him or have a framed picture they keep beside their beds like the one you are picturing inside your head

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
You know what's the real insufferable thing. Trying to disparage an entire group of posters having a reasonable discussion.

Iwata wasn't just a CEO he was an amazing programmer. If it wasn't for the careful programming tricks like fitting nearly the entire of the Kanto region into Pokemon Gold / Silver and almost doubling the content of the game when other staff at the time were stumped running out of what space they had.

Respect for the guys talent is appreciable because of his programming skill. Hell if he never died from stomach cancer, I can only imagine what kind of ideas he could have made for Nintendo even beyond the Switch.

You know, for someone who has an account with 25,000+ posts on the forum. No one should need to tell you the posting guidelines. At this point it's beyond thread whining. you saw the topic title and willingly entered the thread. You also have the choice to not post in thread if you don't like the subject matter of a discussion. Keep that in mind, you made that choice. You also had the choice to ignore the thread but you didn't. You don't get to dictate the nature of the discussion because you don't like the topic.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Let's get back on topic.

what kind of precious metal did you guys use to build your altar to Iwata? I went with silver but maybe I should have gone with classic gold.

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
Who set in motion Nintendo's whole strategy, greenlit the Switch and its concept, consolidated all development teams and streamlined Nintendo's output? You actually believe all of that happened just a few months before the Switch's release maybe?

Did you take a look at Sony's Market cap evolution during the same timeframe? Or at the share? Or are you just cherry picking a period to drive a non existing point?
I don't usually argue, already said he was a talented programmer! i never even met him to have a feud or cherry-picking
all I'm saying when shareholders were losing money they wanted him to step down not fanboys nor haters decide this

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I remember this well. Quite a few of those posters are still active around here too...

I was absolutely disappointed in Wii U to the degree that I do not intend to support Nintendo consoles for a long period of time now, but I did always understand and appreciate Iwata's particular vision for not just hardware but Nintendo as a company overall. Without his leadership a lot of their identity would have been lost in the 00s IMO.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA

It was definitely embarrassing reading the numerous topics on the old forum that constantly pushing the narrative that Nintendo should go fully 3rd party and lose any advantage of having control over their own ecosystem or benefit of unique platform specific development. The reality is those folks wanted to play Nintendo IPs but were too stuck up / stubborn to actually buy a Nintendo console as if there was some sort negative stigma in actually owning Nintendo hardware but actually wanting to enjoy Nintendo specific IPs.

As if they would get the same experiences with Nintendo have even less resources to pull from. Talk about not seeing the forest from the trees.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Iwata wasn't just a CEO he was an amazing programmer. If it wasn't for the careful programming tricks like fitting nearly the entire of the Kanto region into Pokemon Gold / Silver and almost doubling the content of the game when other staff at the time were stumped running out of what space they had.

I feel his achievements as a manager are even much greater.

Nintendo is the last gaming company alive still able to manage a platform to this day because of his vision and the direction he set for the company, in this age of multi-purpose devices and trillion dollars valued tech companies its almost a miracle that a company like Nintendo can operate as a platform holder with a single-purpose entertainment device.

He was competing against Microsoft and Sony, two companies that are much, much larger, and managed to remain competitive over the years. his weakest performing products (WiiU + 3DS) managed 88m devices sold, which is still strong base to build upon.

Look at how much money Microsoft burned on Xbox over the years, billions like they are nothing.

Look how powerful Sony is in Japan: they have a hand in everything: games, services, movies, anime (Aniplex), music, electronics and manufacturing, working with them can be greatly beneficial for software companies on all fronts

You have to wonder how the hell Nintendo managed to dominate them in Japan?

Iwata was key in that, he led Nintendo to a complete dominance over the Japanese market even against this extremely tough competition (Sega didn't manage to survive more than a few years against Playstation for example)

Most of Nintendo's current relations in Japan and collaborations started with Iwata: Koei Tecmo, SE original rpgs, Shin Megami Tensei, Bayonetta

His legacy is still felt strongly with the Switch platform, in terms of both hardware and software library.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
It was definitely embarrassing reading the numerous topics on the old forum that constantly pushing the narrative that Nintendo should go fully 3rd party and lose any advantage of having control over their own ecosystem or benefit of unique platform specific development. The reality is those folks wanted to play Nintendo IPs but were too stuck up / stubborn to actually buy a Nintendo console as if there was some sort negative stigma in actually owning Nintendo hardware but actually wanting to enjoy Nintendo specific IPs.

As if they would get the same experiences with Nintendo have even less resources to pull from. Talk about not seeing the forest from the trees.
You still have that stigma today with the usual "People buy Nintendo systems just to play Nintendo games and nothing else".

And yet last year Nintendo sold 45 million units of packaged software in Japan alone and out of the 36 million sellers worldwide, 14 were from third parties.

Gunman

Aug 19, 2020
Correct me if I'm wrong but he was replaced and Nintendo became wildly successful?

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Correct me if I'm wrong but he was replaced and Nintendo became wildly successful?
Not sure if serious.

Also, leadership means more than sales. Wii U was bad, for sure. But props to the man that made it his mission not to take the easy way out and lay off his staffs, while taking the pay cut himself and steering the ship toward the Switch era.

Also I would like to remind people he was fighting FUCKING CANCER during all these.

Last edited:

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I remember I bought my wife (gf at the time) a wii u on release becuase she liked Nintendo games and she was soooo mad at me. Turns out she thought I was gonna purpose and I pulled out a wii u.

I hated that console because of that fight haha
Well that's amazing. Glad it worked out. I can just picture in my mind the angriest rounds of Nintendoland.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA

Iwata wasn't replaced. He passed away shortly after E3 2015. He had a bile duct tumor and was fighting it for several years. The fact he basically worked as an acting CEO even while hospitalized and til the day he passed instead of retiring early and letting someone else take the mantle should speak volumes of his work ethic.

Console development in regards to planning and engineering is something that takes years to implement. Regardless the fact the Switch came out after his passing. Keep in mind during that period he laid the groundwork at the time for NX which was the codename for Switch at the time and based on the many talks and interviews, Iwata was very much involved in development for the NX or what we now know as the Switch.

The sad thing is in spite of this some people don't want to attribute the success of the Switch to Iwata because he was no longer around to see it's release, which IMO is rather short sighted.

Gunman

Aug 19, 2020
Iwata wasn't replaced. He passed away shortly after E3 2015. He had a bile duct tumor and was fighting it for several years. The fact he basically worked as an acting CEO even while hospitalized and til the day he passed instead of retiring early and letting someone else take the mantle should speak volumes of his work ethic.

Console development in regards to planning and engineering is something that takes years to implement. Regardless the fact the Switch came out after his passing. Keep in mind during that period he laid the groundwork at the time for NX which was the codename for Switch at the time and based on the many talks and interviews, Iwata was very much involved in development for the NX or what we now know as the Switch.

The sad thing is in spite of this some people don't want to attribute the success of the Switch to Iwata because he was no longer around to see it's release, which IMO is rather short sighted.

I thought I remembered reading Iwata's involvement was not what it was for past Nintendo consoles, and that the Switch was the brainchild of a new group within Nintendo.

Feb 16, 2018
the portable / low-spec stuff might be better from a finance pov, so idk about the whole leadership / CEO stuff

but i did not think (at the time) that the gamecube era would be the last time nintendo competed directly with their peers

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Looking back all the obvious signs were there that she wanted me to pop the question, but I was just an idiot. We are happily married with two kids and still joke about the wii u
Is it a funny object you point to and look forward to introducing to the kids, or did you chuck it because it started a fight?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought I remembered reading Iwata's involvement was not what it was for past Nintendo consoles, and that the Switch was the brainchild of a new group within Nintendo.
Are you sure you're not getting things mixed up? I think you might be thinking of Miyamoto taking a less active role in game development to help foster new talent, not Iwata

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
You're not suggesting people on the internet...overreacted...are you? Because they definitely never do that.

Also the Wii U was a fantastic system. Fight me.
Not sure if this is sarcasm considering the general tone in this thread, but I absolutely love the Wii U. The way Nintendo communicated on this system sorely lacked, but I still think the system and its games are fantastic.

Deleted member 93805

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 16, 2021
Bay Area, CA
Clowns. Bought Wii U at launch and never felt dissatisfied. I knew it was a big gamble for Nintendo and kept my expectations in check.

People should've been more pissed at Labo.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wii U was a terrible name and a terrible concept.

But Iwata transcends any failures even those under his watch. Read the book about him. He's a human and fallible but a visionary and beyond most.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Having owned a Wii U since launch, I'd say that some of the conversations here aren't specific enough.

The Wii U was a bad console, in the sense that the console itself was not an attractive product. That was central to its failure. Nintendo wanted to get something that could hit the casual market and the hardcore market at the same time. While they made a system that could handle the more casual styles of gameplay seen on the DS, it had very poor convenience factor compared to the greater expectations that people have with the rise of mobile, and many of the new attractions were insubstantial. Meanwhile, for hardcore gamers, you had an (at least initially) crash-prone, feature minimal system without a great rise in power compared to what they already had. You were left with a system that didn't please anyone.

Xbox One had a similar issue with its initial overvaluation of Kinect and YouTube which scared , but they had strong hardware so it was enough to do a firmware fix. The Wii U didn't have that luxury.

While the Wii U had good games, it had a poor library in the sense in the sense that you can just compare the number of titles listed on Wikipedia:

Switch: 3,806​
PlayStation 4: 3,192​
Xbox One: 2,737​
PlayStation 3: 2,278​
Xbox 360: 2,154​
Wii: 1,597​
Wii U: 783

There's enough there that you can probably find something for you to play, of course, but if your tastes don't mesh with the typical Nintendo fare, they're just harder to come by compared to other systems. No matter how aggressive Nintendo was about securing second party partnerships, it just can't overcome the fact that this was just not a system that people wanted.
Note that a huge portion of those 783 games are just eshop shovelware, so the number is way smaller than that

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
You're not suggesting people on the internet...overreacted...are you? Because they definitely never do that.

Also the Wii U was a fantastic system. Fight me.
No complaints from me. I whole heartedly agree. It makes me laugh that the machine was constantly chastised, when it was basically a tethered Switch.

Most of the decent titles in the Switches first few years were Wii U ports, including Breath of the Wild. Nintendo are still picking the bones from that library with Super Mario 3D World.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Note that a huge portion of those 783 games are just eshop shovelware, so the number is way smaller than that
That's probably just as true for all of those systems, honestly. But the smaller library size showcases the problem - while the Wii U had really good exclusives, it did not overall have a good library, in the sense that it has very little strong content beyond those exclusives in comparison to its competitors.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, there are very, very, very, very few public companies whose entire upper management would survive an equivalent of the Wii U.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He made an absolutely massive fuckup approving the Wii U. If the switch hadn't sold well Nintendo likely would have to sell, it was that bad sales wise. But they hit their exact demographic with the switch and have done gangbusters. I do wish he would make Nintendo less anti consumer and actually understand how the internet and communities work. But as a CEO whose job is to make money, he certainly righted the ship.

Apr 21, 2018
What the heck lol?
2011-2013 was the 3DS glory years.
  • MK7
  • Mario 3D World
  • KI Uprising
  • MH3U
  • FE Awakening
  • A Link Between Worlds
  • Pokemon X and Y
  • Animal Crossing New Leaf
  • DQ VII (japan)
  • MH4 (Japan)
  • KH 3D
  • OoT 3D
  • Luigi's Mansion 2
  • Bravely Default
  • Yo,Kai Watch (Japan)

Eh you might be right on 3DS, but I remember that first
What the heck lol?
2011-2013 was the 3DS glory years.
  • MK7
  • Mario 3D World
  • KI Uprising
  • MH3U
  • FE Awakening
  • A Link Between Worlds
  • Pokemon X and Y
  • Animal Crossing New Leaf
  • DQ VII (japan)
  • MH4 (Japan)
  • KH 3D
  • OoT 3D
  • Luigi's Mansion 2
  • Bravely Default
  • Yo,Kai Watch (Japan)

Oh yeah, you're right, 2012-2013 especially was a glorious time for 3DS.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
The WiiU underporformed, sure, but it also had a bunch of absolute BANGERS that are doing serious work to this very day helping prop up the Switch library.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the Wii U might be the biggest flop of all time relative to the expectations coming off the Wii. But that Era was not a complete failure as they could not immediately transition to combining handheld and console lines immediately. The WiiU was essentially a stopgap to get to the Switch. They recognized how difficult it was just to develop for the DS and Wii and the 3ds and WiiU just exacerbated the issue

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really get the lionizing and hyper defense of Iwata. He was a good guy, but there's too much cult of personality for him and Reggie. It would be rare for a person in his position to keep their job after the back to back disasters of the 3DS and WiiU. Particularly given the financial and stock ramifications they had. Couple that with being woefully behind throughout his tenure when it came to online gaming, mobile gaming, subscription services, and the digital marketplace...it's not hard to believe he should have stepped down. Most in his position would have long since been fired. As far as crediting him for the Switch, lets remember that:

A. Kimishima was involved early on, and ended up leading the company to the completion of the Switch launching.
B. The concept for the Switch was created back in the Gamecube era. This was confirmed in the leaks last year.
C. The core design team was noted as being younger creators in the company, with Iwata, Miyamoto, and Takeda being more in feedback roles.

Beyond that he was obviously long gone by the time it launched, and by all accounts had been in poor health for some time prior with Kimishima being heavily involved in managing the company.

As far as his overall legacy, as with anything there are a lot of ups and downs there. Ultimately if you look at the company currently, seemingly the culture he instilled survived. The flip side is that their most popular software is still stuff that was created before his time as CEO. Whereas almost all the new IP created during his tenure are dead. Additionally, they seemingly moved away from a lot of the marketing and hardware design concepts he liked(all white, glossy, must appeal to non gamers, etc.). They also tossed the company branding that was created during his time(white and blue), and replaced it by going back to their classic red and white colors. Another vestige of his core hardware tenets(low power, low cost tech) is going to go out the window if they launch a substantially upgraded Pro console aimed at the enthusiast audience. Basically what I'm saying is, it seems like there's going to be a lot more surviving of the Yaumachi years than there is of the Iwata years.

I think he was very much involved with switch up until his death from what I've read. Where did you read that?
It's relatively accurate. Unlike the Wii(for example), where Iwata, Miyamoto, and Takeda were leading the way and deeply involved in it's creation, the Switch was largely lead and created by younger leaders in the company. Miyamoto discussed this in an interview some time ago. It's not surprising considering Koizumi was the producer on the hardware.

I remember neogaf's trash response on cue. I also remember a certain asshole forum owner who felt the need to post "I actually made a banner to honor Iwata's memory but some of you are mean so fuck you I won't do it, bye"
Let's not selectively ignore the crux of the issue which was a large portion of Nintendo fans disgracing themselves by saying that celebrating the landmark decision in the Obergefell v. Hodges case in favor of gay marriage was less important than putting up a banner for Iwata.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh, I remember that 'era' quite vividly. For years it was like that. Then, suddenly, after the man tragically passed away, he was nothing more than a saint. Just shows how reactionary and often irationally people act when hidden behind internet anonimity.

Oct 27, 2017
Let's not selectively ignore the crux of the issue which was a large portion of Nintendo fans disgracing themselves by saying that celebrating the landmark decision in the Obergefell v. Hodges case in favor of gay marriage was less important than putting up a banner for Iwata.

Those people were trash too. But instead of pissing in the face of everyone in this manner, including the many many posters who asked for a banner without becoming toxic or going into asinine comparisons about which event was 'more important', he could've just... done two alternating banners or something. Resetera did as much years later, making the whole argument even more pointless.

Beatle

Dec 4, 2017
01001001 00100000 01100001 01101101 00100000 01100001 00100000 01100111 01100001 01101101 01100101 01110010 00100000 01100001 01101110 01100100 00100000 01110100 01101000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01110100 01110010 01110101 01100101 00101110
01100111 01100001 01101101 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100000 01101100 01101001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100001 01110010 01100101 00100000 01110111 01101000 01111001 00100000 01100111 01100001 01101101 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01110011 01101111 00100000 01100011 01101111 01101111 01101100 00100000 00111010 00101001 00001101 00001010

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Based on the Wii limping to the finish line and the commercial failure of the Wii U, it wasn't exactly an unreasonable opinion at the time.

I also think Koizumi should get more credit for the Switch than Iwata.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Those people were trash too. But instead of pissing in the face of everyone in this manner, including the many many posters who asked for a banner without becoming toxic or going into asinine comparisons about which event was 'more important', he could've just... done two alternating banners or something. Resetera did as much years later, making the whole argument even more pointless.
Was a lurker at the time but I thought the most sensible decision was to put a little banner for iwata underneath the banner celebrating the Obergefell vs Hodges decision just for a day. Granted my memories of that time are a bit hazy cause it's been years so maybe there was a tech reason it didn't happen.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Hm. Well I'm not familiar with his track record but the Wii U was objectively something awful. Even if I do own one. I didn't realize people considered the switch an iteration on the idea lol.
How was it objectively awful? I really like the Wii U to this day and enjoyed it a lot more than the Switch. I love the GamePad, it has a really great line up of nintendo games (better than their line up of new games on Switch imo) and it was probably the best system for 2d platformers since the snes. Maybe even better than that.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Even respecting how it "had to happen" to get to the highs we have now, something I truly believe, at the time people had to blame somebody.
Why? Why do you need to blame someone? It is the price of trying to innovate with each console: Sometimes a seemingly good idea does not quite work out. Under Iwata, DS, Wii, 3DS, Wii U and Switch were developed. Only Wii U failed. Why do you need to blame someone, why do you need to blame him, for picking an idea that did not reasonate with a majority out of five (or at the time four) instances?