• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Marketplace selling turned Amazon into the Wild West
Especially when it comes to off-brand electronics and accessories.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
1) Buy cheap from OEM (or Alibaba).
2) Slap on a brand name.
3) Resell on Amazon for 4x-10x original price.
4) Beg for 5 star reviews so your "brand" moves up in search.
5) Profit.

The car accessory market does this in FaceBook group. Get the product for free if you leave a 5* review. Basically you can't really even trust "verified purchase" anymore because some are getting their money back after leaving the 5* review.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Well, yeah, alibaba took over. There's still lots of value on that cheap stuff tbh.

For real, there are some real diamond in the rough items.
It also has introduced a previously non-existent market for parts that didn't not exist on Amazon before.
I was able to find a really good Raspberry Pi touchscreen case and replacement fans for a Powercolor RX 580 for under 25 bucks total.
It's starting to beat ebay, which is kind of a huge deal in ease of access.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Who would be checking that? Likely this is just being dropshipped.
Whatever agency deals with consumer goods or agencies (and customs). Stuff like FCC for electronics etc.

In EU you need CE marking to be able to import your goods for sale in the European Economic Area. I'm not sure what the US equivalent is, but it exists.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever agency deals with consumer goods or agencies (and customs). Stuff like FCC for electronics etc.

In EU you need CE marking to be able to import your goods for sale in the European Economic Area. I'm not sure what the US equivalent is, but it exists.
There is nobody checking your CE marking and companies have been known to fake them.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There is nobody checking your CE marking and companies have been known to fake them.
I mean each individual product isn't checked, but there are regular checks of shipments of products by EU member state customs and consumer protection agencies. You can't just import whatever you want from China.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Buying clothing on Amazon is a freaking nightmare. Hundreds of cloned listings under different names for products that look awesome but will likely not actually be that product.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, amazon buying is kinda pointless now to me. I only really use it on stuff that is namebrand or I don't care if it's junk (like a lightbulb for a hardly used spot).

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
amazon don't give a shit
The christmas gift recommendations pages are a joke because of that. Pages and pages of junk.
Another "fun" thing they do is regroup all reviews for a product and all its variations. So let's say you're looking for a blu ray of some movie. There are 15 versions of that blu ray. All reviews for all 15 versions will be together so you don't know if what you're buying is what you want or if it's trash or anything. Just amateur shit.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I mean each individual product isn't checked, but there are regular checks of shipments of products by EU member state customs and consumer protection agencies. You can't just import whatever you want from China.

Sure, but at the same time, by the amount of fakes caught, it is clear that companies are still trying and profiting. Especially in cases like the one outlined in this topic, they can simply put the CE documentation of the original product as a quick fake.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sure, but at the same time, by the amount of fakes caught, it is clear that companies are still trying and profiting. Especially in cases like the one outlined in this topic, they can simply put the CE documentation of the original product as a quick fake.
Yeah, that's obviously a problem.

I think the case here is mostly about intellectual property which is tougher to police.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
amazon don't give a shit
The christmas gift recommendations pages are a joke because of that. Pages and pages of junk.
Another "fun" thing they do is regroup all reviews for a product and all its variations. So let's say you're looking for a blu ray of some movie. There are 15 versions of that blu ray. All reviews for all 15 versions will be together so you don't know if what you're buying is what you want or if it's trash or anything. Just amateur shit.
This is the shit I hate as well. You'll get every variant product a company as in the same review pool, even if they're from different model lines.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of thinly veiled sinophobia going on in this thread. As such, it is locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.