• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to watch up to Endgame eventually, I'd say the most relevant films to watch are

Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Thor
Captain America
Avengers

Thor 2*
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers: Age of Ultron

Ant-Man*
Captain America Civil War
Thor Ragnarok
Avengers: Infinity War

Ant-Man and the Wasp**
Captain Marvel**
Avengers: Endgame

*establishes important plot points for later, but not that necessary overall. Just read/watch a film synopsis somewhere
**also establishes important plot points, so again, find a synopsis on YouTube or whatever, but the after credits scenes also establish things for Endgame. Check those out, as they're important to Endgame's plot. They're pretty easy to find, Marvel released Captain Marvel's post-credits scene publically already.

You could maybe skip Iron Man 2 as well. They're made to be watched in release order, and mostly follow a linear time structure anyway (2011 movies take place in 2011, 2012 films in 2012, etc.).

I would try to watch Guardians Vol. 2 and Black Panther eventually, as they're some of the best films of the MCU (BP probably being the best), but I can't say they're integral.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Flandy

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I skipped the Hulk but every movie has now been watched. Tomorrow I will watch Captain Marvel and Endgame nearly back to back

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen Captain Marvel yet but I think Captain America 1 is stand-alone enough to watch at any time before the first Avengers movie. It's so far removed from everything else that watching it as a mega-prequel to the series wouldn't really change anything.

Thor seeds parts of Captain America. The Tesserect, etc.

But regardless, speaking broadly (not just the MCU) deciding to watch something chronologically is rarely ever illuminating, you're often removing any sense of intruige or pace to whatever it is you're viewing. The author or creators released them in an order for a reason. Viewing chronologically at best you're doing no harm, at worst you're removing any kind of cohesion the source was trying to create.

Rockstar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
US
Watch it all, skip nothing.

Here's the release order, and I would stick to that.

VI4EBZb.jpg

CzyIPaHDKmT4nd7YPXyi3PV8lRFgUKkAQ6k5dIpxgjQiody9O4oL0Zt844JpcDtBu1pkepo6vXGpSqDQf9svYcBnDANr3hRcT7V7ftCQVozFfew=w331-h197-nc

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I skipped the Hulk but every movie has now been watched. Tomorrow I will watch Captain Marvel and Endgame nearly back to back
Honestly, I'm really impressed you did this. I applaud you for going in hard.

Out of curiosity, do you have a favorite character now? (not favorite movie...the MCU's strength is still in the multi-movie character arcs)

OP
OP
Flandy

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'm really impressed you did this. I applaud you for going in hard.

Out of curiosity, do you have a favorite character now? (not favorite movie...the MCU's strength is still in the multi-movie character arcs)
It was pretty intimating to watch all of them but once I started it was hard to stop.
I think Tony Stark is my favorite character? Like he's a big asshole but he's consistently entertaining to watch. I especially enjoy his interactions with Peter Parker.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what I'm gonna do once I'm done lmao. It's been a hell of a week though!
I binge watched all 8 Harry Potter movies a few years ago, felt pretty empty afterwards but that's nothing compared to 22 movies

What did you think of Civil War? That's when the MCU started getting seriously good for me

OP
OP
Flandy

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I binge watched all 8 Harry Potter movies a few years ago, felt pretty empty afterwards but that's nothing compared to 22 movies

What did you think of Civil War? That's when the MCU started getting seriously good for me
It's my favorite movie so far. Honestly felt like everything got better post Age of Ultron. Think my favorites right now are civil war, guardians, and infinity war.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
The weakest ones are Hulk, Thor 2, Iron Man 3, and Captian Marvel. The rest have something worth the watch. You can skip these four and nothing is really lost.

Edit: I would also say Age of Ultron, but it's a major story arc. So stagger through it.

Edit 2: Thor 2 actually has scenes referenced later. Crossing it off. Just push through it. It isn't too too bad.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I guess watch them all but sometimes it's a struggle. Some I struggled through:

Thor
Thor 2
Ant man 2
Captain America
Captain America 2
Iron Man 3
Dr. Strange

None of the movies in the MCU are ones I'd want to rewatch, they're dumb fun for a weekend.

What???? Cap2 was great!

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I want Vern to come in and state his list as it will be fun... XD

lol yo I've made my list elsewhere... basically I've seen all the way through probably about 10-12 of the movies, slept through a handful, and completely skipped the rest. So I'm not the best to make a ranking of this stuff but:

1 Ant Man
2 Black Panther
3 Infinity War
4 GotG 1
5 Ant Man 2 / Iron Man 1

I think Ant Man and BP stand head and shoulders apart from the rest of the movies. They felt grounded, realistic, and had tension. I can't really get down with the end of the world "stakes" in a lot of the other movies because it's all pretty empty and just a way to make snappy one liners and show some CGI shit.

Worst that I've seen... Endgame was pretty mediocre. Thor was dogshit terrible. Avengers 1 I never saw but Age of Ultron was one of the most boring pieces of uninspired dreck I've ever had the misfortune of seeing. It rivaled Transformers for worst shit I've seen in the cinema.

I've never seen Thor 2, Iron Man 2 and 3, Captain Marvel, or Avengers 1. I slept through GotG2, and turned off the new Spiderman after the first time sleeping through it, and second time making it like 20 minutes before realizing I'd rather be doing anything else besides watching that boring ass movie. Thor 3 I tried to watch on a plane and slept through, people said it was funny but it seemed pretty terrible to me. Dr Strange was fun because it was different and goofy, and I love Nepal and have spent a lot of time there. Captain America 1 was fine, uninspired but fine. 2 I don't remember. Civil War was goofy stupid shit, the whole airport fight was so crazy to think people enjoyed it... it's like watching a sparring match when you want to see a real fight. I can't remember what else there is, but I either slept through it or skipped it.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Skip Gotg2, maybe both to save time. Can skip Strange and BP as neither really add much to anything and all you need to know about Strange is he does magic stuff. Can easily skip the first 2 Thor movies and Antman and the Wasp. Can probably skip the iron man sequels and depending how much you want to bypass the first 2 avengers movies aren't great either. That's like half of them done already.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017

Hulk was good. Worth watching. People who skipped it were wondering why Banner was able to control his transformation in the first Avengers.

I think they're all worth watching cuz even if the overall film might not be your liking, you will enjoy certain moments and action scenes. I've watched them all as they were released and I feel like the entire MCU is good to great. Endgame certainly made watching them all worthwhile.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I would recommend skipping The Incredible Hulk. Given the recast, it doesn't really feel like the same character.

Also, follow release order but switch Thor Ragnarok and Black Panther. The former flows much better into Infinity War.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess Hulk is gonna become a must watch if
that Thunderbolts film gets made

But still it's entertaining. Watch it if you can.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017

I'll be really curious to see how Endgame pays off for you given you binged it whereas most of us had to wait. Please let us know what you think once you finish it and get a chance .

OP
OP
Flandy

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
At the movie theater right now. Waiting for Captain Marvel to start

Edit. Thanks for having a Spider-Man far from home trailer before captain marvel :(

Last edited:

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
I would say you can skip Hulk and Thor 2.

I am trying to remember if I could add Iron Man 2 to that list.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
By order of release, and do them all except Hulk. The only exception might be... if you really enjoy the first, feel free to do Guardians Vol. 2 straight after the first, as it in-universe picks up very soon afterwards, and the next time you see those characters in a cross-over movie a few years have passed - but those films are disconnected from the rest until very late on, so you can watch them back-to-back if you want.

Oct 25, 2017
Funny, on April 19 I was discussing this very thing:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...e-was-no-other-way.83337/page-7#post-19942262

I'm taking it slow, about 1 hour per night so far, with some off-nights in between, but making progress! I've crossed off the movies that I've watched so far.......just finished The Avengers last night:

Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger
The Avengers
Iron Man 3
Thor: The Dark World
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Ant-Man
Captain America: Civil War
Doctor Strange
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Thor: Ragnarok
Black Panther
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Captain Marvel

The bolded green colored movies below are what I plan on dedicating 2+ full hours to watch as a formal movie experience, versus what I've been doing which is watching them like I watch Netflix shows, an 30-60 minutes off and on

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
I just did this over the last several months. I had only seen Iron Man, Spiderman, and Black Panther leading up to Infinity War.

Skip nothing, they all have their bright spots.

I had a fun time with it overall but don't expect to be blown away. They're comic book movies first and foremost, so just go in, have some fun, and don't dig too deep. Enjoy OP

OP
OP
Flandy

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just got out of my Captain Marvel showing. One of the weaker Phase 3 movies imo but still enjoyable. Anyway, my endgame showing starts in 50 minutes so I'm taking a lunch break until then. Hype

DopeToast

Oct 27, 2017
If time isn't an issue, just watch them all in release order. There's no reason to get cute with it the first time through.

OP
OP
Flandy

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sitting in the theater now waiting for endgame to begin. I wonder if they'll show a Spider-Man trailer again?

Hoodbury

Oct 27, 2017
How are you all watching them? Are they all on Netflix? I don't have Netflix but thinking of getting Disney + when that comes out. I should be able to go through them all on that correct?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Funny, on April 19 I was discussing this very thing:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...e-was-no-other-way.83337/page-7#post-19942262

I'm taking it slow, about 1 hour per night so far, with some off-nights in between, but making progress! I've crossed off the movies that I've watched so far.......just finished The Avengers last night:

Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger
The Avengers
Iron Man 3
Thor: The Dark World
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Ant-Man
Captain America: Civil War
Doctor Strange
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Thor: Ragnarok
Black Panther
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Captain Marvel

The bolded green colored movies below are what I plan on dedicating 2+ full hours to watch as a formal movie experience, versus what I've been doing which is watching them like I watch Netflix shows, an 30-60 minutes off and on
I'd treat Guardians 1 as green as well, it's great.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I'm in a weird place where I really like Infinity War/Endgame, which I think are on another level of quality and craftsmanship than the other films, to the point where I almost dislike them (Iron Man 1 excluded, maybe). However, those two films would be impossible without the other films leading up to them. It's a weird thing, but I would advise watching all of them in release order.