• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
RE2us3w

I feel like I've posted in dozens of "I just bought a PS4, recommend me some games" threads, but now it's my turn.
I've already had a Switch and PS4 for a while, but my new flatmate has got an Xbox One and I'm curious to see what I should play.

To start stuff off I've activated the trial for Game Pass and will probably keep it up for a few months. I immediately spotted Ashen which I've been dying to play, I also obviously hit up the download on Ninja Gaiden Black and nabbed The Gardens Between as well since I'd heard good things about it around here. But I'm looking for more suggestions. I really prefer condensed experiences over open ended or endless multiplayer experiences.

Rumble

Oct 25, 2017
Hamilton, Ontario
I just got Game Pass over the holidays and have played through Life is Strange on the service. I really enjoyed it and it fits into your condensed experiences idea.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
If you're looking at Xbox Originals you missed like NGB, Panzer Dragoon Orta is essential.

Quantum Break, Forza Horizon 4 and Sunset Overdrive are all smart Game Pass pick ups too IMO.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, you have old games and forza, plus future halo and gears entries.

Beyond that... eh.

Mitsurugi

Alt-account
Dec 11, 2018
Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 4, Ori and the Blind Forest, Halo series and of course you have Game Pass so you'll find plenty of great games there. Classics too

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Is it an X or S?

Give Forza Horizon 4 a shot, it's on game pass and a very good entry point to the series. Be warned that all Forza games are HUGE to download.

Edit: I should mention that the Horizon series is also really good even if you don't like cars very much. They're just good games.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
From gamepass get we happy few to see if it's your cup of tea and mutant year zero

Could try below as well. Seems to be a divisive game, but I like it

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is it an X or S?

Give Forza Horizon 4 a shot, it's on game pass and a very good entry point to the series. Be warned that all Forza games are HUGE to download.

Edit: I should mention that the Horizon series is also really good even if you don't like cars very much. They're just good games.
S

And yeah, the owner of the console had Horizon 3 which I've been having a lot of fun with.
If you're looking at Xbox Originals you missed like NGB, Panzer Dragoon Orta is essential.

Yeah, I missed Panzer Dragoon Orta, I'm definitely going to check it out.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Also I think fusion frenzy is still on for
Get fusion frenzy!

If you have gold as well you can also grab Celeste, a rally game and far cry 2

And as far as I know phantom dust is still free. Get it and path of exile as free goodness

Harle

Oct 25, 2017
My recommendation would be Recore, it's a good SP game with a decent duration.

And ofc, you can find it on game pass.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
As far as games that aren't entries in to established franchises go, Sunset Overdrive is still one of my favorite games of the generation, both consoles. Hellblade is also a really incredible game, not an exclusive but really good, and do play it with headphones if you can. I also really liked Quantum Break, but I understand that may be an unpopular opinion.

I'm also a big Gears and Halo fan, and you can of course find all of those. Fable is my favorite game of all time, and the trilogy is available via backwards compatibility, they're pretty short so you could beat them all inside of a weekend if you committed.

Honestly though if you don't have any specific things in mind, holding on to that Gamepass trial for a bit may be your best value. You can try a bunch of stuff out, third parties and exclusives, and then figure out from there if you may want to buy any new games or any from gamepass, or just keep the sub going. Especially since Crackdown comes out in a month and it's probably just a matter of time / timed publishing agreements before Obsidian and InXiles back library comes to the service too.

Also, if you like JRPGs, definitely give this a shot, great game.

Last edited:

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
I got one a few months back and game pass was all i needed.... still working my way through stuff (Never played Halo 3+, any of the gears games, Forza eta). So much on there for someone who never owned an Xbox.

Ashen / Mutant Road Zero were both fantastic for more recent additions to the service..

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Subscribe to Gamepass so you can play:

Forza Horizon 4
Ori and the blind forest
Sunset Overdrive
Master Chief Collection
Quantum break

Beyond that see what takes your fancy, there's like 200 games on GP now so there's tons to choose from.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
We Happy Few just got added to Game Pass so give that a go.

The Darksiders definitive edition are worth a bash. As is Farming Simulator 17 (yes).

The great thing about game pass is that you'll likely find something you like, and they might not be obvious so just try stuff out!

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Sunset overdrive, or sure

Gamepass it up too. Lots on there. You probably won't like sea of thieves tho

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Here's one game that you won't see mentioned very often, Anarcute. It's great if you're into whimsical games like Katamari Damacy, Donut County, Pikmin, and such.

And if you like hard as nails action puzzlers, Kyub.

DaeJim

Founder LifeisXbox.eu
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Great you have Game Pass so you are basically set! My personal recommendations:

Single Player:
A world of Keflings
Ashen
Cities: Skyline
Fable Anniversary
DOOM
Forza Horizon 4
All Gears of Wars games
Halo Wars 2 (RTS)
Life is Strange > Life is Strange Before the Storm > Life is Strange 2
Ryse: Son of Rome
Strange Brigade
Sunset Overdrive
Mutant Road Zero (RTS)
We Happy Few

Online:
Aftercharge
Gears 4
PUBG
Sea of Thieves

NiceRiceBowl

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
You are pretty much set with Gamepass, it includes the likes Ori and The Blind Forrest, Gears of War, Halo, Sunset Overdrive, We Happy Few etc

But don't sleep on Cuphead, Cuphead is awesome

Oct 25, 2017
Quantum Break
Halo MCC
Halo 5
Ryse Son of Rome
Sunset Overdrive
Cuphead
Ori and the Blind Forest
Forza Horizon 1, 2, 3 and 4
Gears 1, 2, 3 and 4
Sea of Thieves