• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Link has had a number of relatives: Uncle, Grandmother, Sister, Grandfather and Zelda if she has any relatives... it'll always be a father but she'll never have a mother.

Is this like an unspoken rule, Link can never have parents.... I think Link and Zelda's mothers have been mentioned in backstory (Ocarina of Time for Link, Breath of the Wild for Zelda) but are always dead. Zelda can have a dad to explain why she's still a Princess because there is a King around but she can never have a mother, I guess because they don't want female royal family member not named Zelda.

Just an interesting observation.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
until Breath of the Wild anyway

they're not particularly important, so they're not there. something I find strange in some media (usually japanese-sourced ones)

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
he's the offspring of goku and thanos after they mated with all the horcruxes stapled to their abs

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Would you want to raise a kid who won't talk to you, smashes your pots, cuts up your garden and abuses animals?

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
You think thats crazy. Try getting into anime... if you dare. I noticed this right away. No parents, parents dead, or parents living a LOOOONG way away. Really weird, like the writers all have complexes about parents or some shit. Maybe thats why Goku was a dogshit father.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Would you want to raise a kid who won't talk to you, smashes your pots, cuts up your garden and abuses animals?

If my kid was actually dumb, the definition of the word where he or she wouldn't be able to speak, of course I would raise them. As far as the rest, those are player choices :).

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
I think Link's parents are shown in a manga, or something, but I don't think that's canon?
I think they did appear briefly in the Akira Himekawa A Link to the Past manga, albeit only posthumously. Not canon, though. However, the Akira Himekawa manga tend to be a lot closer to the games than some of the alternatives.

Link did have parents in some of the early manga and western comics based on the first two games, but some of those apparently got weird.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
Link had a dad and sister in Botw but it's only shown in concept art. I hope they expand on that in the sequel

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Link's mother saved him when he was a kid in ocarina of time. She delievered him to the deku tree and he raised him as a kokiri.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Doesn't Ocarina of time talk about how links mother left him with the Kokiri?

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They're alluded to sometimes. Link's mother is mentioned as having fled the war and bringing Link to the Kokiri Forest before dying in Ocarina of Time, and his Father was part of the Royal Guard in Breath of the Wild. Tetra's Mother is mentioned as having been a pirate as well, and having passed away when she was 6 in BotW.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
In Japanese media, when the main character is young, it's not unusual for one or both parents to be vaguely absent and unmentioned. This can be seen in a lot of games. I'm not informed enough about the subject to definitively explain why, but my best guess is that it's just more convenient to leave parents out of a story if they're not going to play a part in it. It might be that simple.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since everyone is bringing up OoT, here's the exact quote so people understand.

"Some time ago, before the King of Hyrule unified this country, there was a fierce war in our world. One day, to escape from the fires of the war, a Hylian mother and her baby boy entered this forbidden forest. The mother was gravely injured... Her only choice was to entrust the child to the Deku Tree, the guardian spirit of the forest. The Deku Tree could sense that this was a child of destiny, whose fate would affect the entire world, so he took him into the forest. After the mother passed away, the baby was raised as a Kokiri. And now, finally, the day of destiny has come!" — Deku Tree Sprout

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
For the longest time, I believed that Link and Zelda in OoT were long-lost siblings.

Zelda only mentions her father IIRC. And Link's mother was mentioned as having escaped on her own without any other relatives from some sort of war. So my headcanon when I was younger was thinking the King (and the princess for some reason, I guess guarded by Impa) stayed to fight in some war while the Queen and their son was caught in some sort of skirmish, one which she escapes, only to wind up in Kokori Forest, where she passes on from injuries, leaving the young Link to be adopted.

Edit: Oh right pretty much what the poster above just said lol. I look back and never really could figure out how/why I came to the conclusion that the "Hylian mother" would also be the Queen.

Cronogear

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Link's mother brought him to the Kokiri in OoT, and his father is mentioned to be a knight in BotW.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
So it is more apt to say that Link is Zelda's half-brother.
whatsthe-matter-brother-scared-of-your-little-sisters-tight-ass-45284477.png

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No, non-canon manga based on the first two games. Though from what I can gather, in that manga, Link is the illegitimate son of Zelda the 16th, while there is also a Zelda the 17th. So it is more apt to say that Link is Zelda's half-brother.
Bare in mind, there was barely any story in the first two games.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
By the way, aren't there technically two Zeldas alive at once in AoL? I remember reading that somewhere, with how the timeline works out.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Bare in mind, there was barely any story in the first two games.
Yeah. Most of the lore about the Hylians, Ganondorf, the Master Sword, and everything else all started in A Link to the Past. No one had any clear idea for the setting and story prior to that, so the copious number of tie-in comics were mostly just making stuff up to fill the void. It was a Wild West of fantasy cliches.

It is kinda funny how many fairy companions Link had in the comics prior to Navi, actually.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Parents just don't understand being a 12 year old and going off to save the world. So it's easier when they're dead and no one can stop you.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Most of the lore about the Hylians, Ganondorf, the Master Sword, and everything else all started in A Link to the Past. No one had any clear idea for the setting and story prior to that, so the copious number of tie-in comics were mostly just making stuff up to fill the void. It was a Wild West of fantasy cliches.

It is kinda funny how many fairy companions Link had in the comics prior to Navi, actually.
I remember in the Zelda cartoon, he had a brown horse like Epona, but her name was Catherine.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Like I think Link was actually implied to be Christian in the first game.... the lore about the Goddesses didn't exist yet.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
It's weird to me that a lot of people ITT are calling it a Japanese trope when this is in no way exclusive or even notably more common in Japanese media than Western. Like 90% of American superheros are orphans. It's not a Japanese trope. It's more of a YA trope.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Hyrule remains in such a state of constant disarray because of all the absent fathers. We must address this problem first instead of chasing the myth of trickle down Tri-Force economics.

It's weird to me that a lot of people ITT are calling it a Japanese trope when this is in no way exclusive or even notably more common in Japanese media than Western. Like 90% of American superheros are orphans.

An orphan actually explains the issue. Japanese media is funny because the parents literally don't exist. They aren't mentioned. It's not as if the protagonists are orphans, their parental figures just don't exist in their world. Plus, even the orphaned American heroes have parental figures.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they had parents that would mean there is a timeline, but ERA told me there is no Zelda timeline

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A brother, the prince of zelda's 2 backstory. He wanted the triforce to be a king, but the old king shared it between the two of them. So he hires an evil wizard to take the truth from her.
Then said wizard puts Zelda into sleeping spell and overcome by remorse, the brother degrees that all future daughters in the royal family shall be named Zelda.