• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
Lots of good stuff has already been mentioned but I would reiterate how phenomenally brilliant Inside Out is.

Just masterclass storytelling.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, every animated feature Disney and Pixar has done since 2009 is at least worth checking out (with some exceptions like Cars 2 and maybe Brave).

Both studios have had an insanely consistent quality for the past decade.

This. I'd honestly just watch everything in release order. There is very little that I would say isn't worth your time except maybe one of the Cars sequels or the Ralph sequel. Even those movies aren't terrible.

If you have Disney + enjoy a month of watching stuff!

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Watch all the Docter Pixar movies. He wrote the script for Wall-E and started directing with UP and followed up with Inside Out and Soul.

Steenbock

Nov 1, 2017
Any/all of them!

My top suggestions are Tangled (best 'classic' style musical, hands down), Moana (awesome, more 'modern' musical), and Zootopia (an amazing animated take on the buddy cop genre with a great message and fantastic, believable main characters)

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Moana by a country mile.
My favorites in order
Moana, Tangled, Coco, Frozen, Toy Story 3, Princess Frog, Soul
For WDAU, Moana is top tier
But Moana is THE film to watch. It's the best of the best.
Moana

It is incredible.
Moana was brilliant.

Moana has a top soundtrack and characters.

Agree with this - Moana is a tier above. I believe it is the one and ONLY Disney animated movie in the entire history of their output (not including Pixar here) that does not have even an inference or mention of a love interest, crush, marriage, etc. -- this despite having a female lead character. Someone correct me if I'm wrong there. Also, the soundtrack is fantastic (includes Lin Manuel Miranda) and the story/theme are wonderful. It's so strong that it's the only movie I've ever seen where they give you the entire plot -- seriously the full arc, beginning to end -- in the first 90 seconds of the movie and it's still a strong watch all they way through. It's even more impactful when you see the care they took in respecting and reflecting the culture of the Pacific Islands. The movie is inspired by their lore and legends in the same way that Western fairy tales inspired the early Disney films. Watch the short making-of doc to get a feel for that. Also, there's the Rock. It's just so good. I've watched it DOZENS of times with my two girls and it does not get old to me; in fact it gets better.

What in the world? Where did all this love for Tangled come from? I thought it was okay, but extremely forgettable. That lantern scene was pretty dope tho.

Yeah, I've seen the Tangled worship on this forum before and it's super weird to me. It's definitely a fine movie, in the upper tier here, but it's nothing all that special. Kind of your typical rom-com schtick with the wisecracking guy and sassy girl who can't stand each other and figure out (shocker) they can't live without each other in the end; generic fairy tale kingdom setting; and FOR SURE generic-ass pop songs performed by middling singer Mandy Moore. The music brings down the rest of the movie for me. Also, you already know the story because it's just another well-worn fairy tale.

Frozen and Frozen 2 are great as well IMO.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Wall-E has the best soundtrack of any Disney or Disney Pixar movie, so saying you want a good soundtrack is gonna be hard to top that one.

Moana, Up, and Coco are probably up there for the best soundtracks since Wall-E. Other great movies (disregarding soundtrack) are Zootopia, Inside Out, Soul, and Tangled. I also liked Brave but I'm not in the majority.
If you have a way to watch 4K, then the Lion King remake might work for you - it's kinda CGI/Live mixed and looks gorgeous and somehow has an outstanding soundtrack even when paired with the OG. The voice acting and uncanny valley bring it down, though.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
watch it now
moana
tangled
frozen
coco
zootopia
inside out
soul

watch it soon
toy story 3
toy story 4
frozen 2
the princess and the frog

watch it eventually
brave
bolt
the good dinosaur
wreck-it ralph
wreck it ralph fuck up the wifi
big hero 6
find that dory fish
Incredibles 2
onward

meh, maybe
spies in disguise
tinker bell
the tinker bell sequels
cars 3
monsters university
a christmas carol nightmare fuel edition

hard pass
mars needs moms
cars 2

hard piss
planes
planes 2
This is a pretty good list tbh. I like Monsters University, but apart from that can't find much fault. I think it misses Up, which I would place in watch it eventually.

Best movies to me are Inside Out, Coco, Moana. Possibly in that order.

Deleted member 25888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Agree with this - Moana is a tier above. I believe it is the one and ONLY Disney animated movie in the entire history of their output (not including Pixar here) that does not have even an inference or mention of a love interest, crush, marriage, etc. -- this despite having a female lead character. Someone correct me if I'm wrong there. Also, the soundtrack is fantastic (includes Lin Manuel Miranda) and the story/theme are wonderful. It's so strong that it's the only movie I've ever seen where they give you the entire plot -- seriously the full arc, beginning to end -- in the first 90 seconds of the movie and it's still a strong watch all they way through. It's even more impactful when you see the care they took in respecting and reflecting the culture of the Pacific Islands. The movie is inspired by their lore and legends in the same way that Western fairy tales inspired the early Disney films. Watch the short making-of doc to get a feel for that. Also, there's the Rock. It's just so good. I've watched it DOZENS of times with my two girls and it does not get old to me; in fact it gets better.

I don't even like the Rock normally. I loved him in this movie. Agreed with the avoidance of the typical love interest stuff. Amazing film and it makes me drop tear pretty much every time (you know what part).

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL

I believe Zootopia also fits the bill of no love interest. Also technically Wreck It Ralph. They are all buddy films with no real romance involved.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Moana has become one of my favorite movies ever. It's just sooooo good.

Oct 27, 2017
There's a lot of good films from DIsney and Pixar since Wall-E

From PIxar:
Up
Toy Story 3&4
Inside Out
Coco
Onward
Soul
Incredibles 2
Brave

From Disney:
Bolt
Tangled
Wreck-It Ralph
Frozen
Big Hero 6
Moana
Zootopia

Go watch Coco. Bring a tissue.

With the exceptions of Toys Story 4 and Bolt (which I think are a little YMMV), this is list is extremely solid. Up, Coco, and Zootopia (in that order) should be first films that OP catches up on.

Starphanluke

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 15, 2017
Damn, there's a lot of love for Tangled in this thread. It is one of my least favorite Disney movies. I thought it was dreadful.

On the other hand, I adore Frozen and think Frozen II is a masterpiece with a really powerful central message about reckoning with a complicated family history and carving your own place in the world after it. I would recommend both of those movies.

On the Pixar side of things, I think Coco and Soul are the modern standouts.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I mix up pixar and disney animation so some might be mixed here but who cares.

Coco
Tangled
Frozen 1 & 2
Moana
Monsters University (and Inc but I forget when Monsters Inc came out, I like Monsters U more, inc is kinda sad in that typical disney/pixar way)
Princess & the Frog (some people don't like this much. The music is great and most of it is cool, but it has its misses. Personally I think they're focused on what they want, not what they need)

Those are the must watch in my opinion. Incredibles is also good but I was surprised how violent it was for a kids movie.

Man I had this long message typed out about how coco is the best non toy story pixar movie , and I fucking lost it because of the stupid fucking mobile advertising bugs in this goddam fucking website.for fucks sake I'm so mad. Fuck it.

Last edited: